Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chernobyl

Platinum
    Load Metric
    One other somewhat important thing I should mention for anyone who is watching this but hasn't been informed or caught on yet - Ulana Khomyuk (played by Emily Watson) is not based on a real person. She is instead an amalgamation of all the scientists and nuclear physicists who worked during that time to mitigate the Chernobyl disaster.
    I don't normally like fake characters in shows based on true events, but I think this has actually played out beautifully so far since having a ton of scientists etc would have probably ended up being more confusing to cast and follow along with.

Load Metric
    show is GOD continue thread
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    MORE LIKE JERRRNYOBYL WE SEE U MY SILVERLAKE BAGE GUY

Load Metric
    uh oh todge has unleashed me on you idiots

Load Metric
    like you people are actual idiots

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    this twitter thread was what made me decide to start watching.

Here's the first tweet, then I'll just put the text.

I have just finished watching Episode 1 of Chernobyl on @HBO. My perspective is that of someone born and raised in the Soviet Union who has vivid memories of 1986, the catastrophe itself and how it was handled by the Soviet politicians and the state media...

First of all, it is almost inconceivable that a Western TV show would go to this amount of detail authentically portraying Soviet life in that era, knowing full well that its target audience (Western viewers) would never appreciate the effort or indeed even understand it...
    Trust me, I try very hard to find inaccuracies, however minor.

The Americans, a show with similar fetish-like obsession with authenticity, had plenty of small and big Soviet errata to be entertained with. Improperly fastened military shoulder bars, that sort of thing... Not here.

Everything, and I mean everything so far has been incredibly authentic. The typical provincial babushkas talking outside, the kitchen supplies and utensils, the white "celebratory" uniforms of school children (the tragedy occurred just before May Day), the shoes, the hair...
    Even the little buckets used by Soviet citizens to take out the trash. They even found that crap somewhere! But I'm impressed by much more than the mere minutiae of Soviet everyday life. Yes, in this regard, Chernobyl is much more true to life than any Western show about Russia..

But, what is more impressive, is the characters, their actions, their thoughts, their motivation. The deep, ruthless drilling of the Soviet mind, what governed us, drove us and shackled us. Chernobyl pulls no punches and lays it all bare....
    And this is really the key to its magic, for me at least. Not only is Chernobyl more realistic than any Western show/film about Russia, it's more realistic than anything Russians would have ever made about themselves, at least on this topic. I am not hyperbolizing. Not at all.

In fact, there have been several Russian films about Chernobyl, and only one, made in 1990, during final stages of Perestroika, does justice to the sheer brutality of this deplorable event. And even this one is more about a hero struggling against the odds, a melodramatic trope.

As for the more modern product, there is a film about heroic KGB agents trying to stop a CIA saboteur, for example. Modern Russian cinema, unable to unshackle itself from political expediencies and the "glory of the Motherland", could never make a drama like this one.

As an aside, I am particularly happy about the decision to have the characters speak normal British English, not mangled Russian or English with a corny "Russian" accent. Poor Matthew Rhys and Kerry Russel... Their tortured attempts to speak Russian almost ruined The Americans...
    In conclusion, yes, the nit-picky Russian viewer in me was utterly satisfied. The initial "Wait a minute, why are kids going to school on a Saturday?" response quickly gave way to "Shit, that's right! We didn't switch to the 5-day week until 1989!" Pure delight, I tell ya...

But, far more importantly, the intellectual honesty in how the show treats an extremely traumatic event is more than impressive. It's important. Knowing how many fans HBO has in Russia, my hope is that it will elicit more than just knee-jerk defensive responses.
    Also, my 17 year old son watched with me, and his first reaction was to immediately dive into the Google rabbit holes trying to research as much as possible about Chernobyl. I don't know about you, but to me this is as good a testimony of the shows greatness as anything
    I saw this on twitter and was what convinced me to give it a shot. Glad I did.

Load Metric
    I legit saw the first 5 minutes was like uh fuck this then saw that English actor I liked he killed himself and then I was like I should finish the Americans it was the correct call also fuck HBO for cancelling togetherness and crashing

Load Metric
    Also look at Daniel loosening the reins in this bitch letting a poppa bear breathe

Diamond
    Load Metric
    show kinda sux ass now that the reactor is under control. little too much shooting dogs for me

Load Metric
    Two in, this show is fucking amazing.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post
    show kinda sux ass now that the reactor is under control. little too much shooting dogs for me
    Final episode was the best.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Amazing wtf no wonder there is so much cancer nowadays.
    Despite the great hype of the fear of cancers caused by nukes and nuclear materials, the vast majority of anthropogenic cancers are caused by exposure to non-nuclear materials, such as due to smoking, carcinogenic ingredients in food stuffs, industrial and internal combustion pollutants, etc.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Amazing wtf no wonder there is so much cancer nowadays.
    Despite the great hype of the fear of cancers caused by nukes and nuclear materials, the vast majority of anthropogenic cancers are caused by exposure to non-nuclear materials, such as due to smoking, carcinogenic ingredients in food stuffs, industrial and internal combustion pollutants, etc.
    thanks verminaard

Comments

sonatine: absolutely flawless.

MumblesBadly: You’re welcome!

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    At Chernobyl, Hints of Nature’s Adaptation
    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/s...chernobyl.html

Dr. Mousseau, a biologist at the University of South Carolina, has been coming to the contaminated area around Chernobyl, known as the exclusion zone, since 1999. The list of creatures he has studied is long: chiffchaffs, blackcaps, barn swallows and other birds; insects, including bumblebees, butterflies and cicadas; spiders and bats; and mice, voles and other small rodents. After the nuclear meltdowns at Fukushima, Japan, three years ago he has conducted similar research there, too.

In dozens of papers over the years Dr. Mousseau, his longtime collaborator, Anders Pape Moller of the National Center for Scientific Research in France, and colleagues have reported evidence of radiation’s toll: higher frequencies of tumors and physical abnormalities like deformed beaks among birds compared with those from uncontaminated areas, for example, and a decline in the populations of insects and spiders with increasing radiation intensity.

But their most recent findings, published last month, showed something new. Some bird species, they reported in the journal Functional Ecology, appear to have adapted to the radioactive environment by producing higher levels of protective antioxidants, with correspondingly less genetic damage. For these birds, Dr. Mousseau said, chronic exposure to radiation appears to be a kind of “unnatural selection” driving evolutionary change.
    Name:  97A4EE08-FEE2-48D2-B0EE-4FBD02541F8E.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  90.2 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Wondering when the Russian government will do a mini-series about this collection of Soviet nuclear stupidity, blaming the CIA for all the deaths and contamination.

Load Metric

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Name:  88F3D0B0-EE4A-4163-8C66-74CBB480924B.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  260.0 KB

Thread Information