Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl

Load Metric

Chernobyl

Amazing wtf no wonder there is so much cancer nowadays.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Diamond
    Load Metric
    300x better than GOT

Load Metric
    Are we talking about the HBO series? Been thinking about watching it.

Load Metric
    its brilliant, especially as I was there earlier this year it's really piqued my interest

Silver
    Load Metric
    Co-sign. Has been really good thus far.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Agree, its pretty good so far. Learned a few things I never knew after all these years.

One thing i never really knew before is how close they were to pretty much destroying half of the planet if the material reached the water

Load Metric
    Watched the first episode. Pretty good.

Apparently Emily Watson is not Emma Watson

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post

This is actually something I ponder from time to time myself. Its not something I enjoy thinking about, but it's there and it certainly won't go away.

The chilling matter though is that IF there is a direct correlation between this planets nuclear incidents, detonations, etc such as the one you mention (which I would bet there is) to cancer statistics and other related diseases, the Chernobyl incident is likely merely a drop in the bucket. Especially on our continent, when compared to the big picture of the nuclear age, there is much much more that has transpired over time.

Some people, even at the present day, don't even realize how many nuclear detonations there have really been since Trinity.
    Some think we have simply had a handful of nukes (not including Horishima and Nagasaki) tested since then. The reality is that there have been over 2000 across the planet.

Here is a video that puts together month by month of all of the known detonations on this planet since the dawn of the nuclear age:

Comments

Tellafriend: scary stuff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post

This is actually something I ponder from time to time myself. Its not something I enjoy thinking about, but it's there and it certainly won't go away.

The chilling matter though is that IF there is a direct correlation between this planets nuclear incidents, detonations, etc such as the one you mention (which I would bet there is) to cancer statistics and other related diseases, the Chernobyl incident is likely merely a drop in the bucket. Especially on our continent, when compared to the big picture of the nuclear age, there is much much more that has transpired over time.

Some people, even at the present day, don't even realize how many nuclear detonations there have really been since Trinity.
    Some think we have simply had a handful of nukes (not including Horishima and Nagasaki) tested since then. The reality is that there have been over 2000 across the planet.

Here is a video that puts together month by month of all of the known detonations on this planet since the dawn of the nuclear age:

most of the early nukes had low yields and used fissile material with a low half life. thats why people can live in hiroshima / nagasaki today.

the later tests are where things get... complicated.

Comments

Gordman: Correct, I didnt mention this but i guess I didnt want to necessarily distract from the core of what i was mentioning that many might not already know

Kuntmissioner: early nuke kindnesses
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    happened upon this a few weeks ago...thought it was pretty decent...

Diamond
    Load Metric
    interesting that the main character so far "killed himself" the day before he was supposed to testify 2 years after the accident so not a completely true story I guess

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Episode 4 apparently dropped today. Anyone by chance have a link to stream or download?

Load Metric
    Episode 4 apparently dropped today. Anyone by chance have a link to stream or download?
    Hbo.com you cheap fuck

Comments

Gordman: Lolwow

Load Metric
    “Found” this show last night and I’ve powered through all four episodes. Really really excellent.

Only thing I can’t get past is the main Commie being Professor Lambeau from Good Will Hunting.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by spit this View Post
    Hbo.com you cheap fuck
    Lolwow, stick to your own account instead of impersonating you cheap fuck.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by spit this View Post
    Hbo.com you cheap fuck
    Lolwow, stick to your own account instead of impersonating you cheap fuck.
    This is my own account

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    “Found” this show last night and I’ve powered through all four episodes. Really really excellent.

Only thing I can’t get past is the main Commie being Professor Lambeau from Good Will Hunting.

I didnt know this so its probably good that I never watched Good Will Hunting yet.

It is really an excellent show.

Anecdote: As of now it's listed as literally the highest rated show in the history of television according to IMDB ratings. I do somewhat take that with a grain of salt though since ratings to a point can obviously be manipulated.
    This show should probably somehow be rated in a class by itself IMO; I think the whole attractiveness, energy, and excellent ratings surrounding this show largely stem from the fact that this extremely rare event (while an undoubtedly excellent reenactment) really happened on our planet and has had monumental ramifications on so many different levels, and will continue to have that for thousands of years... not to mention the fact that this or something similar could and probably will happen in the future.

Load Metric
    this twitter thread was what made me decide to start watching.

Here's the first tweet, then I'll just put the text.

I have just finished watching Episode 1 of Chernobyl on @HBO. My perspective is that of someone born and raised in the Soviet Union who has vivid memories of 1986, the catastrophe itself and how it was handled by the Soviet politicians and the state media...

First of all, it is almost inconceivable that a Western TV show would go to this amount of detail authentically portraying Soviet life in that era, knowing full well that its target audience (Western viewers) would never appreciate the effort or indeed even understand it...
    Trust me, I try very hard to find inaccuracies, however minor.

The Americans, a show with similar fetish-like obsession with authenticity, had plenty of small and big Soviet errata to be entertained with. Improperly fastened military shoulder bars, that sort of thing... Not here.

Everything, and I mean everything so far has been incredibly authentic. The typical provincial babushkas talking outside, the kitchen supplies and utensils, the white "celebratory" uniforms of school children (the tragedy occurred just before May Day), the shoes, the hair...
    Even the little buckets used by Soviet citizens to take out the trash. They even found that crap somewhere! But I'm impressed by much more than the mere minutiae of Soviet everyday life. Yes, in this regard, Chernobyl is much more true to life than any Western show about Russia..

But, what is more impressive, is the characters, their actions, their thoughts, their motivation. The deep, ruthless drilling of the Soviet mind, what governed us, drove us and shackled us. Chernobyl pulls no punches and lays it all bare....
    And this is really the key to its magic, for me at least. Not only is Chernobyl more realistic than any Western show/film about Russia, it's more realistic than anything Russians would have ever made about themselves, at least on this topic. I am not hyperbolizing. Not at all.

In fact, there have been several Russian films about Chernobyl, and only one, made in 1990, during final stages of Perestroika, does justice to the sheer brutality of this deplorable event. And even this one is more about a hero struggling against the odds, a melodramatic trope.

As for the more modern product, there is a film about heroic KGB agents trying to stop a CIA saboteur, for example. Modern Russian cinema, unable to unshackle itself from political expediencies and the "glory of the Motherland", could never make a drama like this one.

As an aside, I am particularly happy about the decision to have the characters speak normal British English, not mangled Russian or English with a corny "Russian" accent. Poor Matthew Rhys and Kerry Russel... Their tortured attempts to speak Russian almost ruined The Americans...
    In conclusion, yes, the nit-picky Russian viewer in me was utterly satisfied. The initial "Wait a minute, why are kids going to school on a Saturday?" response quickly gave way to "Shit, that's right! We didn't switch to the 5-day week until 1989!" Pure delight, I tell ya...

But, far more importantly, the intellectual honesty in how the show treats an extremely traumatic event is more than impressive. It's important. Knowing how many fans HBO has in Russia, my hope is that it will elicit more than just knee-jerk defensive responses.
    Also, my 17 year old son watched with me, and his first reaction was to immediately dive into the Google rabbit holes trying to research as much as possible about Chernobyl. I don't know about you, but to me this is as good a testimony of the shows greatness as anything

Comments

Gordman: Good read

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    this twitter thread was what made me decide to start watching.

Here's the first tweet, then I'll just put the text.

I have just finished watching Episode 1 of Chernobyl on @HBO. My perspective is that of someone born and raised in the Soviet Union who has vivid memories of 1986, the catastrophe itself and how it was handled by the Soviet politicians and the state media...

First of all, it is almost inconceivable that a Western TV show would go to this amount of detail authentically portraying Soviet life in that era, knowing full well that its target audience (Western viewers) would never appreciate the effort or indeed even understand it...
    Trust me, I try very hard to find inaccuracies, however minor.

The Americans, a show with similar fetish-like obsession with authenticity, had plenty of small and big Soviet errata to be entertained with. Improperly fastened military shoulder bars, that sort of thing... Not here.

Everything, and I mean everything so far has been incredibly authentic. The typical provincial babushkas talking outside, the kitchen supplies and utensils, the white "celebratory" uniforms of school children (the tragedy occurred just before May Day), the shoes, the hair...
    Even the little buckets used by Soviet citizens to take out the trash. They even found that crap somewhere! But I'm impressed by much more than the mere minutiae of Soviet everyday life. Yes, in this regard, Chernobyl is much more true to life than any Western show about Russia..

But, what is more impressive, is the characters, their actions, their thoughts, their motivation. The deep, ruthless drilling of the Soviet mind, what governed us, drove us and shackled us. Chernobyl pulls no punches and lays it all bare....
    And this is really the key to its magic, for me at least. Not only is Chernobyl more realistic than any Western show/film about Russia, it's more realistic than anything Russians would have ever made about themselves, at least on this topic. I am not hyperbolizing. Not at all.

In fact, there have been several Russian films about Chernobyl, and only one, made in 1990, during final stages of Perestroika, does justice to the sheer brutality of this deplorable event. And even this one is more about a hero struggling against the odds, a melodramatic trope.

As for the more modern product, there is a film about heroic KGB agents trying to stop a CIA saboteur, for example. Modern Russian cinema, unable to unshackle itself from political expediencies and the "glory of the Motherland", could never make a drama like this one.

As an aside, I am particularly happy about the decision to have the characters speak normal British English, not mangled Russian or English with a corny "Russian" accent. Poor Matthew Rhys and Kerry Russel... Their tortured attempts to speak Russian almost ruined The Americans...
    In conclusion, yes, the nit-picky Russian viewer in me was utterly satisfied. The initial "Wait a minute, why are kids going to school on a Saturday?" response quickly gave way to "Shit, that's right! We didn't switch to the 5-day week until 1989!" Pure delight, I tell ya...

But, far more importantly, the intellectual honesty in how the show treats an extremely traumatic event is more than impressive. It's important. Knowing how many fans HBO has in Russia, my hope is that it will elicit more than just knee-jerk defensive responses.
    Also, my 17 year old son watched with me, and his first reaction was to immediately dive into the Google rabbit holes trying to research as much as possible about Chernobyl. I don't know about you, but to me this is as good a testimony of the shows greatness as anything

Thanks for posting this.

I'm always very interested in hearing real accounts like this from real people who experienced situations first hand from their home nations that inherently aren't very forthcoming with information to the outside world - whether it be Russia (Soviet Union), North Korea, China... you get the idea.

Thread Information