Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Follow along with a fellow PFA member's low-roller WSOP adventure

Load Metric

Follow along with a fellow PFA member's low-roller WSOP adventure

First of all I apologize in advance for putting this in the wrong forum...I know it should be in the WSOP one, but that one is kind of slow right now and I wanted to make sure it was seen. Druff can feel free to move this over there if he would like to.

Anyway, I'm excited because exactly one week from now I will be on a plane headed to Vegas to play in only my second WSOP event ever. I'm playing the $1,500 O8 event on May 30, along with a daily O8/Stud8 tournament on May 29 at the Orleans and a $400 O8 tournament at the Orleans on June 1, assuming I'm out of the WSOP event by then.

I've created a new Twitter account to provide updates...the goal is to do as many as possible and pretty much live tweet the tournament action as it happens. It is @mdjpoker if you're interested.

Also, if Druff lets me take him out for lunch Thursday at the restaurant of his choice before the 3 pm O8 event I will donate $50 to the next freeroll, plus another $50 if either of us cashes in the event. If not, I will pledge an amount equivalent to whatever I spend on myself for lunch (probably either a $2-3 tip on a comped buffet or a $6-7 In n Out Burger combo), plus $50 if I cash.

Good luck to anyone reading this who is also playing in the WSOP this summer...maybe I'll see some of you out there!

Comments

duped_samaritan: gl

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Good Luck Rep

IamGreek: Get them $s

sah_24: GL dude ship the bracelet !

Crowe Diddly: glglgl

big dick: GL

gimmick:

Shizzmoney: gl

DirtyErnie:

nunbeater: gogogooooooooo

Forum Wars: See a lot of green posters, so lemme pile on

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mdj1980 View Post
    First of all I apologize in advance for putting this in the wrong forum...I know it should be in the WSOP one, but that one is kind of slow right now and I wanted to make sure it was seen. Druff can feel free to move this over there if he would like to.

Anyway, I'm excited because exactly one week from now I will be on a plane headed to Vegas to play in only my second WSOP event ever. I'm playing the $1,500 O8 event on May 30, along with a daily O8/Stud8 tournament on May 29 at the Orleans and a $400 O8 tournament at the Orleans on June 1, assuming I'm out of the WSOP event by then.

I've created a new Twitter account to provide updates...the goal is to do as many as possible and pretty much live tweet the tournament action as it happens. It is @mdjpoker if you're interested.

Also, if Druff lets me take him out for lunch Thursday at the restaurant of his choice before the 3 pm O8 event I will donate $50 to the next freeroll, plus another $50 if either of us cashes in the event. If not, I will pledge an amount equivalent to whatever I spend on myself for lunch (probably either a $2-3 tip on a comped buffet or a $6-7 In n Out Burger combo), plus $50 if I cash.

Good luck to anyone reading this who is also playing in the WSOP this summer...maybe I'll see some of you out there!
    Provided I can wake up in time, yes, I'd like to go to lunch with you before the O8 event. Then we will have to hope not to be at each other's table during the event itself.

Good luck at the events, aside from any hands you might play against me at the $1500 O8, in which case I hope you get bad luck.

Load Metric
    Provided I can wake up in time, yes, I'd like to go to lunch with you before the O8 event. Then we will have to hope not to be at each other's table during the event itself.

Good luck at the events, aside from any hands you might play against me at the $1500 O8, in which case I hope you get bad luck.
    Yeah, I figured with no dinner break and the 3 pm start a big late lunch might be the way to go.

The real question is, if I get the big bald dealer with the heavy NY accent dealing to me, will I get some of the same PFA magic or is that just reserved for you?

I was looking at the list of players who cashed in this event last year and there were quite a few known names. But I'm sure there was probably an equal number of players that either had no (or at least very little) clue what they were doing and still ended up making the money.

The good thing about limit O8, at least in my opinion, is that people who know what they are doing have a decent edge over those that have no clue, but someone who is one of the best players in the world doesn't have a big edge over a player who might be good but not great. As long as you know which starting hands to play and which draws to push, pull and fold, the spots in a tournament where you really need to make an advanced play are so few and far between that most likely not enough of them would come up to make a huge difference. As opposed to a deep NLHE event where a top player is going to crush even a good rec just about every time, because they can put them in difficult spots hand after hand.

Load Metric
    Might play the Omaha 08 $1,500 event since I can’t play the seniors. Played it once a few years back. Felt short stacked the entire time, but the play was poorer than your average event and very loose. A lot of people chasing for half the pot. Maybe the structure is a little better now.

Don’t play O8 in cash games. I understand the correct strategy, but after a few hours and bad beats, I go on full tilt. It’s like I can’t help myself. Bad beats and suck outs never affect me in limit hold’em, but drive me crazy in Omaha.

Load Metric
    Also, if Druff lets me take him out for lunch Thursday
    Druff will never turn down a free meal. He will bitch about it after though. The waitress had shoe laces that weren't even...his free meal was 8 seconds late....it was too cold or warm for him. Pick your poison lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    Also, if Druff lets me take him out for lunch Thursday
    Druff will never turn down a free meal. He will bitch about it after though. The waitress had shoe laces that weren't even...his free meal was 8 seconds late....it was too cold or warm for him. Pick your poison lol.
    tomatoes

Load Metric
    This site needs more of these stories.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    TID

Load Metric
    I have not watched these yet, but if the pictures and descriptions are any indication, these have to be some of the greatest videos ever posted to YouTube:

I love how they made it a four-part series to keep the suspense building. I'm guessing that at the end there must be some sort of disagreement about who has the low hand that leads to them throwing down the cards and literally fighting to the death.

Comments

JohnCommode: God these people look old even to me. Did anyone yell "bingo" after they won a hand.

Load Metric
    Druff in 2040

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I can tell you from experience that, yes, the play at the O8 event is lolbad in the early stages.

That's why I make sure to be there for this one every year, even if inconveniently timed.

Once you get near the money, most of the fish have fallen out, and then you need to just hope to hit hands.

Last year I crushed the donks in the early stages, cashed easily, but then stopped winning hands. However, I kept splitting pots so my short stack was barely surviving for a long time. I finished 59th (out of over 1100 entrants), but wasn't in contention for a super deep run as it would appear from that finish.

If I can give you guys any advice for the WSOP O8 event, it's to just play tight preflop and let the donks hang themselves against you. You will LOL at some of the starting hands people play.

Also, be willing to fold on the flop to 1 bet if you didn't hit a good piece of it. Biggest mistake in O8 is chasing marginal flops, especially with only one side of the pot to be potentially won.

Load Metric
    Only Druffs RealGrinders Facebook friend would put up random baby pics

Congrats! mdj1980

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Congrats! mdj1980
    Not random. It's a picture of his baby listening to PFA Radio, and fortunately lowering the average listener age, which is currently about 50.

Load Metric

So you're basically saying your will pay for the honor of taking Druff out to lunch? That made my day right there. lulz. Can't make this shit up. Good luck in your tourney.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Congrats! mdj1980
    Not random. It's a picture of his baby listening to PFA Radio, and fortunately lowering the average listener age, which is currently about 50.
    Yes that's my youngest son, who actually just turned 2 last week. Fortunately, for the last year and a half he's been sleeping through the night. But unfortunately it means he no longer is awake to hear any PFA radio.

Load Metric
    So you're basically saying your will pay for the honor of taking Druff out to lunch? That made my day right there. lulz. Can't make this shit up. Good luck in your tourney.
    If you want to fly out I will buy your lunch too and up the donation to $51.

Load Metric
    I can tell you from experience that, yes, the play at the O8 event is lolbad in the early stages.

That's why I make sure to be there for this one every year, even if inconveniently timed.

Once you get near the money, most of the fish have fallen out, and then you need to just hope to hit hands.

Last year I crushed the donks in the early stages, cashed easily, but then stopped winning hands. However, I kept splitting pots so my short stack was barely surviving for a long time. I finished 59th (out of over 1100 entrants), but wasn't in contention for a super deep run as it would appear from that finish.

If I can give you guys any advice for the WSOP O8 event, it's to just play tight preflop and let the donks hang themselves against you. You will LOL at some of the starting hands people play.

Also, be willing to fold on the flop to 1 bet if you didn't hit a good piece of it. Biggest mistake in O8 is chasing marginal flops, especially with only one side of the pot to be potentially won.
    It really is wild the terrible starting hands some people play in O8 events. The worst thing they do is enter pots with middle cards which are death in O8. I saw a hand in a $400 PLO8 tourney at the Venetian a few years ago that blew me away. We're well into the tournament, past the late registration time, and a guy with a big stack limp-calls preflop with 669T or some such nonsense (probably not even good enough to call in PLO let alone PLO8). The flop is 346 with two hearts. This flop is exactly why you shouldn't call with this type of hand. Of course, this guy gets it all-in after a series of raises and he's up against A278 with the heart flush draw. He fades it and chops the pot. Then he remarks that he got very unlucky after flopping a set.

Comments

sah_24: lol so good

Load Metric
    Here we go! The first event, the lowest of my little low-roller series, starts in just over half an hour! Today's event is a $150 buy-in O.E. tournament at the Orleans. After that it's between the cash O8 game at the Orleans or finding a game to play on the strip. This morning I got my registration taken care of for tomorrow's WSOP event so I'm glad I got that out of the way. The line was long enough at 9:00 this morning with not much going on. I can't even imagine what it will be like tomorrow once the Big 50 starts.

I will post updates from my play on Twitter (@mdjpoker). Tomorrow I'll tag them with #pfa04 so they show in that thread too.

Name:  B21797B5-60F9-4DF4-AD85-E5E9D3C653FC.jpeg
Views: 556
Size:  3.56 MB
    Name:  8F95F6BF-EB0A-4C93-BBF9-72A732EF8005.jpeg
Views: 551
Size:  2.33 MB
    Name:  2435A6FF-7DD2-4461-8448-4716D9EE315A.jpeg
Views: 485
Size:  3.18 MB
    Name:  6713BE0C-B5AD-43BF-9347-E217ECE28D65.jpeg
Views: 561
Size:  4.14 MB

Comments

simpdog: TAKE IT DOWN

thesidedish: GL GAMBLING IS GOD

gimmick:

DirtyErnie: sweet sweet

Load Metric

Yes that's my youngest son, who actually just turned 2 last week. Fortunately, for the last year and a half he's been sleeping through the night. But unfortunately it means he no longer is awake to hear any PFA radio.
    Baby needs new shoes.

TID

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Pretty filthy they have a big Mansour Matloubi picture still hanging given his suspected involvement in the UB cheating scandal.

Comments

sah_24: his pretty obv involvement including having the superuser thing shipped to him by Pierson lol
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Thread Information