Thread: Twitter suspends the Houston Rockets account

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Twitter suspends the Houston Rockets account

They also suspended the account belonging to Auburn football.

Both were for supposed music copyright violations (lol).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/3748238002/

What a joke these social media companies have become.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

It's not the social media companies doing this. The music industry and the artists are the ones filing the lawsuits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

It's not the social media companies doing this. The music industry and the artists are the ones filing the lawsuits.
    Twitter doesn't have to suspend them, though. That's their internal decision.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

One of these "options" will get you sued and you will likely lose, while with the other option you're always legally protected. Really not much of a decision tbh.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

One of these "options" will get you sued and you will likely lose, while with the other option you're always legally protected. Really not much of a decision tbh.
    Twitter could have deleted the offending tweets. There is no legal requirement for them to ban/suspend accounts hit with DMCA claims.

I'm sure if Twitter deleted the tweets with the alleged copyrighted music, and then sent a stern warning that they would suspend the Rockets if they did it again, the behavior would have changed.

Load Metric
    Twitter could have deleted the offending tweets. There is no legal requirement for them to ban/suspend accounts hit with DMCA claims.

I'm sure if Twitter deleted the tweets with the alleged copyrighted music, and then sent a stern warning that they would suspend the Rockets if they did it again, the behavior would have changed.
    Here's why, in a nutshell: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-bad-law.shtml

Ever since this case and others like it, companies/providers/platforms have to take the 'repeat offender' threat very seriously. So they do.

So yes, you absolutely can blame the DMCA. Because of it, certainly no free-to-use service is gonna take any chances on people who get multiple DMCA notices anymore.

Comments

gimmick: yup

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Here's why, in a nutshell: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-bad-law.shtml

Ever since this case and others like it, companies/providers/platforms have to take the 'repeat offender' threat very seriously. So they do.

So yes, you absolutely can blame the DMCA. Because of it, certainly no free-to-use service is gonna take any chances on people who get multiple DMCA notices anymore.
    Hopefully, podcast platforms won’t start banning podcasts that illegally uses copyrighted material as intro/outro music. I’m a regular listening to at least such podcast that probably does so that I really enjoy.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information