Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: MGM in discussion to buy Boston Encore

  1. #21
    Master of Props Daly's Avatar
    Reputation
    1502
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Cliffs:

    John Henry, the guy who bought a NEWSPAPER, saw value in the wretched excess that is the Encore.

    There is a reason nerds are celibate, John.


    Name:  
Views: 
Size:
    He bought it for a song and he uses it as local propaganda for the Red Sox. Any time the local 9 start getting shit above and beyond what they would rather deal with he can pick up the phone.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    He bought it for a song and he uses it as local propaganda for the Red Sox. Any time the local 9 start getting shit above and beyond what they would rather deal with he can pick up the phone.
    Interesting response from a sophisticated East Coast guy.

    If John Henry wanted local political influence I could understand. As an example, perhaps he wants to buy the Encore.

    The local mayor is adamant that Wynn takes the loss. There is no way a new player would agree to all the stupid terms as Steve Wynn. No, Massachusetts scored a monumental victory and they aren’t budging. The Globe might have helped sell the idea of getting skeezy Wynn out of town and replacing with a trusted local businessman.

    Instead Daly, you argue Henry bought the Globe to influence local opinion about the Sawks. Are you unaware of the “Fellowship of the Miserable”? Criticism and cynicism are what made the Red Sox relevant and sold out Fenway every night for years. Tony Masserotti and Eddie Andelmann are examples of two Boston icons who made their bones trashing the Sawks every day.

    New England thirst for blood is insatiable. That’s what sells newspapers, homey.

    East Coast fans don’t blow kisses and would probably administer a beating to those who did.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 05-31-2019 at 07:35 AM.

  3. #23
    Just dawned on me

    Imagine Henry bought the Encore and opened a sports book there while owning the Red Sox and multiple other franchises.

    Ok, and the local paper.

    Amazing to contemplate.

  4. #24
    Boston Encore's IG account got hacked by Turkish hackers haha

    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 84
Size:  113.3 KB

     
    Comments
      
      Sanlmar: This thread has legs
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

    "Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

  5. #25
    I’ll begin with an apology. We’ve been commingling stupid casino discussion. I will endeavor to stay focused. It’s hard.

    I posted a Ringer podcast in the Evil Empire thread. Bill Simmons referenced Caesars specifically and it’s theme shares a sensibility with GBCP. We shouldn’t dilute GBCP’s crusade however. Caesars IS, without question, the dumbest and brokest. It’ll be sold for parts.

    Simmons offered Vegas strip 6:5 blackjack as an example of the decline of the big corporate casinos found Downtown. Again, it’s an important and enjoyable listen.




    Today a lawsuit was filed against Boston’s Encore. The casino is becoming an instant piñata.

    Lawsuit against Encore Boston Harbor casino, alleges players were cheated, winnings withheld
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wcv...hheld/28400231

    the casino paid its customers odds of 6 to 5 when a player is dealt a "blackjack" - a pair of cards adding up to a winning score of 21. However, Massachusetts law says a player dealt a blackjack should be paid at odds of 3 to 2.
    Is there an existing law? There is another casino in Massachusetts. Is Wynn that stupid?

    Regardless, Wynn just demonstrates bad intent toward its customers.

    I read they need $2.4m daily. Desperate already?

    The lawsuit also claims that Encore fails to pay out winnings from slot machines by only paying out whole dollar amounts, and rounding down on the ticket redemption machine.
    I haven’t been yet. Really have no plans. Lol, $42 parking. My first visit will likely be when I bid on a crap table at the bankruptcy auction.

     
    Comments
      
      Shizzmoney: bid on a crap table at the bankruptcy auction rep
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 07-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.

  6. #26
    wow interesting...

    tbh I haven't set foot inside a casino to gamble in years, but remember that parx and valley forge were both 3:2 entities...didn't think a "locals"/"regional"/whatever the fuck you want to categorize it as would do the 6:5 thing...

    guess ol' stevie thinks he's a destination property./location..



    obviously this is evil empire level thinking...people in AC and at corporate still thought AC was a destination too...

    again

    there's one gambling destination in this country and that's vegas...plain and simple...yeah boston will have travelers come through, just like AC will have people visiting the shore come through...but they're locals markets...they're gonna get the bulk of their revenue from repeat customers...so why the fuck would you nickel and dime the people who come to your place bi-weekly/monthly/etc? vegas can sorta get away with that shit because they got a fresh planeloads of yokels coming in everyday...and even if they bend people over they can still get away with it because every degen will keep going back...

  7. #27
    Cubic Zirconia
    Reputation
    18
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    wow interesting...

    tbh I haven't set foot inside a casino to gamble in years, but remember that parx and valley forge were both 3:2 entities...didn't think a "locals"/"regional"/whatever the fuck you want to categorize it as would do the 6:5 thing...

    guess ol' stevie thinks he's a destination property./location..

    obviously this is evil empire level thinking...people in AC and at corporate still thought AC was a destination too...

    there's one gambling destination in this country and that's vegas...plain and simple...yeah boston will have travelers come through, just like AC will have people visiting the shore come through...but they're locals markets...they're gonna get the bulk of their revenue from repeat customers...so why the fuck would you nickel and dime the people who come to your place bi-weekly/monthly/etc? vegas can sorta get away with that shit because they got a fresh planeloads of yokels coming in everyday...and even if they bend people over they can still get away with it because every degen will keep going back...
    Pennsylvania law mandates all live blackjack games be 3:2, S17, late
    surrender. Trust me, the casinos don’t offer those rules because they want to.

     
    Comments
      
      GambleBotsChafedPenis: Info/Learned Something Rep

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by go_buccos View Post
    Pennsylvania law mandates all live blackjack games be 3:2, S17, late
    surrender. Trust me, the casinos don’t offer those rules because they want to.
    We learn through others’ mistakes.

    It never occurred to me that payouts are legislated. I am organically a Laissez-faire kind of guy. It’s how my mind runs. Thus, I just never thought about the payouts being law.

    It positively boggles my mind how stupid a company can be. The casino business (aside from marketing) is painfully simple.

    I hear you bucco. I just kind of disagree. Marketing is very expensive. You run a bad game and people will find out. Especially if there is competition.

    Think about Druff’s Caesars 7 Star loyalty program. An example of expensive marketing.

    My wife plays blackjack. We were watching the evening news and she asked. 6:5 & 3:2???? She had no clue. I asked her how much she gets paid on a blackjack. I swear she wasn’t sure. You should have seen the look on my face. It’s the only game she plays in the casino.

    So we run through the story. All she is going to take away from our discussion is that Encore runs a bad game.

    She is a typical customer. She wanted to go cause it was new and shiny. Now she isn’t that interested. Right hand to god.

    Even before the first shovel touched dirt this casino has suffered nothing but hate. I called it a piñata. Wynn and his women. The local town mayor’s demands. They simply cannot get any good press. And now this.

    Wynn finally cried “Uncle” and wanted out. They took meetings with prospective buyers.

    The worst punishment the city and the state levied against Wynn was denying any new buyer a casino license. Wynn’s worst punishment was they had to operate the casino. Wynn had to keep Encore. Think about that. It’s funny.

    Back to the payouts.....

    Traditional blackjack is paid out at 3-2 when a player hits blackjack. State laws do allow for 6-5 payouts (the MGM Springfield, for example, has blackjack tables that pay out 6-5), but the practice is only permissible if certain other terms are met to level the playing field between the player and the house.

    Massachusetts Gaming Commission law does lay out a different playing style for 6-5 payout blackjack games—instead of playing with 6-8 decks, the game should be played with 1-2 decks, and the player must be dealt two facedown cards that they can look at. At the Encore, the suit alleges, eight decks are used and players are not allowed to touch the cards, which are dealt face up, all of which the lawsuit says gives the casino a statistical advantage. The lawsuit estimates that players who are disadvantaged in this way could lose $35.60 per hour on $50 wagers.
    https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...ating-lawsuit/

    I am not a blackjack player but I find this extraordinarily interesting on so many levels.

    Encore is getting murdered. Fucking idiots.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 07-16-2019 at 10:57 AM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by go_buccos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    wow interesting...

    tbh I haven't set foot inside a casino to gamble in years, but remember that parx and valley forge were both 3:2 entities...didn't think a "locals"/"regional"/whatever the fuck you want to categorize it as would do the 6:5 thing...

    guess ol' stevie thinks he's a destination property./location..

    obviously this is evil empire level thinking...people in AC and at corporate still thought AC was a destination too...

    there's one gambling destination in this country and that's vegas...plain and simple...yeah boston will have travelers come through, just like AC will have people visiting the shore come through...but they're locals markets...they're gonna get the bulk of their revenue from repeat customers...so why the fuck would you nickel and dime the people who come to your place bi-weekly/monthly/etc? vegas can sorta get away with that shit because they got a fresh planeloads of yokels coming in everyday...and even if they bend people over they can still get away with it because every degen will keep going back...
    Pennsylvania law mandates all live blackjack games be 3:2, S17, late
    surrender. Trust me, the casinos don’t offer those rules because they want to.
    you get a positive rep for this one...didn't know that was the law in PA...

    the more you know...

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

    Even before the first shovel touched dirt this casino has suffered nothing but hate. I called it a piñata. Wynn and his women. The local town mayor’s demands. They simply cannot get any good press. And now this.

    Wynn finally cried “Uncle” and wanted out. They took meetings with prospective buyers.

    The worst punishment the city and the state levied against Wynn was denying any new buyer a casino license. Wynn’s worst punishment was they had to operate the casino. Wynn had to keep Encore. Think about that. It’s funny.
    fucking dying here...


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Boston College stuns #1 Duke
    By Tegnation22 in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2017, 01:01 PM
  2. About to go take my dog for a walk in Boston....
    By Tegnation22 in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 03:14 PM
  3. UFC FIGHT NIGHT SUN - BOSTON
    By cmoney in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 02:27 PM
  4. Questions about Boston
    By JUSTIFIEDhomicide in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-08-2012, 06:29 AM
  5. BOSTON RED SOX thread
    By SixToedPete in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 06:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •