Thread: Messi Leaving Barca

Platinum
    Load Metric

Messi Leaving Barca

this is more of a thread about how anybody is going to sign messi more than him leaving barca...

so read the espn.com article on this (https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelon...n-new-contract) and the way i understand it is the two sides have agreed to a contract but La Liga wont certify the contract because of financial fair play...to be perfectly honest i thought that all the major clubs sorta cheated to get around that shit...seem to remember man city trying to pull some bullshit with their sponsorship from ethiad to get around it...

the article says that barca had salaries of roughly 600M euros pre-COVID...that was cut all the way to 386M euros during COVID and that is expected to be slashed further so barca couldnt afford messi any more...

somehow PSG is being thrown around...but with neymar and mbappe and some of their secondary pieces which im guessing are expensive i dont know how they would have the money to fit him in...

and how the hell is he going to go to a major club in any other country? would figure the chelseas, man cities, man Us of the world have all spent a shitton of money on their squads and couldn't afford messi...doesnt seem like he is looking to take a pay cut to make things work and i can't see him slumming it with some "secondary" team (thinking like a leichester...not from a performance stand point, but from a notoriety standpoint)...

i defer to the euro crowd to drop the knowledge on this one...

Load Metric
    Been out of the loop but have to think Man City is the clubhouse favorite?
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    That espn article said they just dropped 100M pounds on grealish so it might be dicey for them to be able to sign Messi..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    That espn article said they just dropped 100M pounds on grealish so it might be dicey for them to be able to sign Messi..
    Iirc, the fair play regulations as explained to me have more to do with finances rather than competition. As is, there are already like six haves and 14 have nots in the premier league.

The concept seems flawed as it would seem easy to circumvent if one wealthy guy wants to bail out another.

It was put in place, to my understanding, to make sure some owner doesn’t get in over his head and end up taking drug cartel money or money from some sheik who also supports terrorist groups.

Clearly the owners are more global. It isn’t US sports where the ownership is almost entirely American with the exception of like the Ali Baba guy and the Nets.

I find it a weird concept. I’d actually like it if it was like a salary cap so that the smaller clubs don’t have to compete with the London and Manchester teams, but I don’t think it’s some protection for that reason. It’s more a check on ownership groups to not do something stupid.

Obviously, the Premier League is hugely popular. I imagine adding Messi even for a few decent years left would be a coup. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the other teams work with them as they’d all benefit. I grasp UEFA oversees it, but it would seem if you have a whole league with the desire to see something happen, it’s easier.

Also either Manchester or another of the rich teams may be able to demonstrate they are so popular and can still keep the balance sheet in the black even with his addition.

I’d be interested in Euros thoughts on the rule. That’s how it was explained to me. That it was more about ownership than actual fair play

It may be like the salary cap in the NBA though where it’s a rule, but even no one here nor any GM understands it. You need like a dedicated salary cap guru on staff just to understand how best to circumvent it and take advantage of every loophole. They’re almost like tax attorneys who grasp every machination.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    yeah from my understanding it's a quasi salary cap based on earnings of the club or maybe revenues of the club...but it's not like american sports where the jags have the same cap as the cowboys...if you are man city and earn a shitton you can spend more than leichester who makes less money (hope im right that man city makes more than leichester)...dont know exactly how it is calculated...

think it's just to make sure that the clubs' balance sheets don't look like those of an early 2000s tech company...

Thread Information