Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The weird return of the abortion debate, nearly 50 years after Roe v Wade

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Druff is in total denial that abortion rights haven’t been a major presidential campaign issue since 1992. 1992 was the *beginning* of when it was important. Every presidential race since then has seen the Dems and the GOP rallying voters to the polls for their candidate to win in order for their party to have control over whether pro-choice or anti-abortion judges would be nominated to the Supreme Court. And they’ve also done so for Senste races given that the Senate controls whether a nominee gets approved to join SCOTUS.
    So you don't believe that the subject has ramped up big time in 2019?

I have never seen such fierce debate on the topic before. I was a baby when Roe v Wade took place, so I can't comment on that, but certainly in my adult and even teen life, this is the most abortion has been discussed.
    I’ve seen the Republicans ramp up the abortion debate because (1) the religious right wants a showdown in court against Roe v. Wade that they believe will now result in that ruling being overturned by SCOTUS given a now-solid majority of religiously conservative justices there, and (2) the econonic Darwinist wing of the GOP give lip service to the religious right’s anti-abortion initiatives in order to distract the middle and working class from the GOP’s policies that further their predatory accumulation of wealth, all while secretly supporting their wive’s, girlfriend’s, and/or mistress’ having abortions.

That’s why right-wing media outlets are going balls out in ramping up the rhetoric about how the Democrats are passing laws to legalize “infanticide”, yet the GOP continues to work overtime to make life more difficult for the children of poor and working class families.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    They keep talking about this shit on TV.

What the pundits don't understand is the Supreme Court don't want to touch Roe vs Wade. They simply will decline to make a decision and send the case back to the states.

Brett Kavanaugh and other clueless members of the Supreme Court are too busy drinking beer to give a fuck.

They know that they must keep abortion legal so that Donald Trump's whores can continue to do the right thing.

Comments

MumblesBadly: The rich don’t need for abortions to legal; they can afford to bribe doctors to do them on the down low.

Load Metric

Druff is in total denial that abortion rights haven’t been a major presidential campaign issue since 1992. 1992 was the *beginning* of when it was important. Every presidential race since then has seen the Dems and the GOP rallying voters to the polls for their candidate to win in order for their party to have control over whether pro-choice or anti-abortion judges would be nominated to the Supreme Court. And they’ve also done so for Senste races given that the Senate controls whether a nominee gets approved to join SCOTUS.

I have never seen such fierce debate on the topic before. I was a baby when Roe v Wade took place, so I can't comment on that, but certainly in my adult and even teen life, this is the most abortion has been discussed.
    You’re now saying two different things. I can agree that the talk has ramped up recently but also acknowledge it’s been a topic of every election. This is what you said originally:

“For decades, the abortion debate has mostly fallen out of public discussion -- so much that it rarely becomes a major part of any Presidential platform.”

It’s been a part of every election cycle, hardly “rarely”.

Comments

DJ_Chaps: fuck off. no it hasnt.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    THIS THREAD SHOULD BE ABORTED

Load Metric
    Lol shut the fuck up you idiot that Ben jammin line was plat
    Last edited by lol wow; 05-19-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Load Metric
    the lines on your forehead are in play

Load Metric
    That's it todge I want him banned

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Druff,

I have a feeling if you actually saw some of the women who were getting abortion at 20 weeks, you might have a different perspective on this issue. We are talking 300 pound career criminal drugged out women, who already have children with severe birth defects being cared for by the state (from drug use in pregnancy).

My wife recently had dumped on her a 20 week patient who is in Chino State prison who is like 400 pounds and has already had multiple miscarriages and retarded premature birth children who are being cared for by the state. And this isn't even that unusual a type of case in the population she works with.

AFAIK, this woman is going through with the pregnancy, but if she wasn't would it really be that bad of a thing?

Load Metric
    Young chino in the hizzzzzaaay

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Anyone with a penis needs to shut the fuck up on this issue. Druff included. If men where the ones getting pregnant, abortion would be available on demand, everywhere.
    So you're cool with a woman aborting a baby at 7.5 months because her boyfriend left her and she doesn't want the baby anymore?

Because there's several states where that's either legal or quasi-legal.
    I sure am.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I’ve seen the Republicans ramp up the abortion debate because (1) the religious right wants a showdown in court against Roe v. Wade that they believe will now result in that ruling being overturned by SCOTUS given a now-solid majority of religiously conservative justices there, and (2) the econonic Darwinist wing of the GOP give lip service to the religious right’s anti-abortion initiatives in order to distract the middle and working class from the GOP’s policies that further their predatory accumulation of wealth, all while secretly supporting their wive’s, girlfriend’s, and/or mistress’ having abortions.

That’s why right-wing media outlets are going balls out in ramping up the rhetoric about how the Democrats are passing laws to legalize “infanticide”, yet the GOP continues to work overtime to make life more difficult for the children of poor and working class families.
    You're very clueless if you think that Republicans are responsible for the initial ramp-up of the abortion debate in 2019.

It was the Democrats passing those stupid laws (which, yes, actually ARE infanticide) which allowed Republicans to justifiably jump all over them.

My point is that Republicans then stupidly overplayed their hand by parlaying it into an attack on Roe v Wade, instead of just leaving well enough alone and letting Democrats hang themselves with their late-term abortion crap.

Comments

Tellafriend:

tony bagadonuts: Correct

Load Metric

You're very clueless if you think that Republicans are responsible for the initial ramp-up of the abortion debate in 2019.

It was the Democrats passing those stupid laws (which, yes, actually ARE infanticide) which allowed Republicans to justifiably jump all over them.

My point is that Republicans then stupidly overplayed their hand by parlaying it into an attack on Roe v Wade, instead of just leaving well enough alone and letting Democrats hang themselves with their late-term abortion crap.
    Druff, Fox News’ coverage of those laws being passed in New York and debated in Virginia went through the roof with hyper-exaggerated claims. The Dems may have been stupid to pass those laws at this time, but the rightwing media went ballistic in a dishonest and imflammatory attack on the Dems over it on a scale that rivaled CNN’s coverage of the opening weeks of Operation Desert Storm.

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/20...ew-york/222702
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    there really wasn't much talk of abortion or roe v. Wade from hillary in 2016.

I can check the trump thread, but i know i mentioned how surprised i was that the issue of abortion wasn't a huge talking point for the left considering scalia was dead and roe v wade was getting closer to being reversed

Load Metric
    the weird return of the tv show "All In The Family" 40 years after

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    there really wasn't much talk of abortion or roe v. Wade from hillary in 2016.

I can check the trump thread, but i know i mentioned how surprised i was that the issue of abortion wasn't a huge talking point for the left considering scalia was dead and roe v wade was getting closer to being reversed
    Because Team Hillary were smart about how to talk about this issue to avoid giving the religious conservatives an open invitation to call the Dems “baby killers”. How so? By including abortion rights within the larger framework of “women’s rights”. But among Democratic Party supporters that election cycle, keeping the future Supreme Court nomination power out of the hands of the Republicans was a huge issue.

Here is a clip of The David Pakman Show from May 2016, in which he blasts Trump’s then-released list of possible Supreme Court nominees to replace Antonin Scalia, all of whom were extremely rightwing and anti-abortion.

Why did Trump even release such a list at that stage of the election cycle if abortion rights wasn’t a huge election issue in 2016? Hell! I have a relative who is a socially conservative Christian who doesn’t like the fiscal policies of the GOP, nor how Trump demonizes immigrants from Latin American countries and calls for deporting them en masse, but voted for Trump *solely* for his anti-abortion stance and commitment to nominate Supreme Court justices who would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Load Metric
    Anyone with a penis needs to shut the fuck up on this issue. Druff included. If men where the ones getting pregnant, abortion would be available on demand, everywhere.
    So you're cool with a woman aborting a baby at 7.5 months because her boyfriend left her and she doesn't want the baby anymore?

I’d prefer that this decision be left to a woman, her doctor, and God, rather than misogynistic Republicans like yourself.

Comments

splitthis: Here here

Muck Ficon: :this

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I’d prefer that this decision be left to a woman, her doctor, and God, rather than misogynistic Republicans like yourself.
    Yes, because there are no unethical doctors out there, nor are there any women who would kill their baby.

Let's just make the murder of fully formed human beings legal, and trust that women and doctors will always do the right thing.

In fact, let's just make all forms of murder legal, as long as a doctor signs off on it.

Sounds like a great plan.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Honestly I can totally understand the pro-choice arguments regarding early-term abortion. I may not agree with all of them, but I can understand them, and at an earlier point in my life, I was actually pro-choice myself.

But these late-term abortion arguments are just absolutely insane. I'm shocked that otherwise decent people on this forum are okay with abortion at 8 months being legal if "a woman and her doctor" sign off on it. That's a human being you're killing there. A fully formed human who could and would easily live out a normal life outside the womb.

I'm not talking about obvious situations where the mother's life is in danger. I'm not even talking about the rare situation where the baby has severe birth defects and will have zero quality of life.

I'm talking about a blanket allowance of full-term abortions based upon the approval of "a doctor".

It will basically become the medical marijuana situation all over again, except it will involve killing babies instead of allowing people to purchase legal weed.

If there's money to be made, and if it's legal or quasi-legal, unethical doctors will rush to fill the market void and do whatever is asked of them.

Laws are in place in our society in order to prevent greedy/unethical/evil people from inflicting harm upon others or society.

It is a gigantic mistake to ever legalize murder based upon the approval of someone financially incentivized to say yes.

Does anyone remember "safe, legal, and rare" -- the slogan of supporters of Roe v. Wade in the early 70s?

There would have been zero support for Roe v. Wade if people could have looked into the future and seen what abortion has progressed into.

24 weeks for any reason.

Full term abortions with doctor permission.

Get the fuck outta here.

This is exactly what the religious right has been claiming for decades was eventually going to happen, and even I laughed them off.

Load Metric
    Honestly I can totally understand the pro-choice arguments regarding early-term abortion. I may not agree with all of them, but I can understand them, and at an earlier point in my life, I was actually pro-choice myself.

But these late-term abortion arguments are just absolutely insane. I'm shocked that otherwise decent people on this forum are okay with abortion at 8 months being legal if "a woman and her doctor" sign off on it. That's a human being you're killing there. A fully formed human who could and would easily live out a normal life outside the womb.

I'm not talking about obvious situations where the mother's life is in danger. I'm not even talking about the rare situation where the baby has severe birth defects and will have zero quality of life.

I'm talking about a blanket allowance of full-term abortions based upon the approval of "a doctor".

It will basically become the medical marijuana situation all over again, except it will involve killing babies instead of allowing people to purchase legal weed.

If there's money to be made, and if it's legal or quasi-legal, unethical doctors will rush to fill the market void and do whatever is asked of them.

Laws are in place in our society in order to prevent greedy/unethical/evil people from inflicting harm upon others or society.

It is a gigantic mistake to ever legalize murder based upon the approval of someone financially incentivized to say yes.

Does anyone remember "safe, legal, and rare" -- the slogan of supporters of Roe v. Wade in the early 70s?

There would have been zero support for Roe v. Wade if people could have looked into the future and seen what abortion has progressed into.

24 weeks for any reason.

Full term abortions with doctor permission.

Get the fuck outta here.

This is exactly what the religious right has been claiming for decades was eventually going to happen, and even I laughed them off.
    By making legitimate-for-medical-reasons late term abortions illegal, you are effectively inviting financially-incentivized unethical doctors to “rush to fill the market void” given that outright prohibition of *any* late term abortion will drive up the market price. So, congratulations! You will have effectively created the nightmare scenario of legions of unethical doctors commiting unethical abortions that you scaremonger about.

Load Metric
    Yes, because there are no unethical doctors out there, nor are there any women who would kill their baby.

Let's just make the murder of fully formed human beings legal, and trust that women and doctors will always do the right thing.

In fact, let's just make all forms of murder legal, as long as a doctor signs off on it.

Sounds like a great plan.
    Thank God there are men like you around to morally judge women and save their babies. BTW Druff, how many times have you been pregnant?

Thread Information