Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sports bettor ‘Vegas Dave’ indicted on charges of misusing Social Security numbers

  1. #1

    Sports bettor ‘Vegas Dave’ indicted on charges of misusing Social Security numbers

    If you follow the sports betting (or sports betting trolling) scene, you know of this guy. He would often "selfie brag" about his big bets and longshots, as those on social media were skeptical of his wins and bets legitimacy.

    Professional gambler David Oancea, who goes by the nickname “Vegas Dave,” came up short Wednesday when a federal grand jury indicted him on charges that he used phony Social Security numbers to open player accounts at area casinos and sportsbooks.
    The well-known sports bettor has amassed hundreds of thousands of social media followers by promoting his ability to win big on long-shot bets — or, as his website describes it, “beat Vegas.” Now, he will be tasked not with beating the odds but with beating the charges contained in the 19-count indictment against him.
    According to the indictment, Oancea provided casinos and sportsbooks with Social Security numbers that belonged either to nobody or to someone other than him.

    Oancea could not be reached for comment Wednesday on the indictment.
    He is accused of using others’ Social Security numbers to make nine transactions, totaling roughly $3.5 million, at Wynn Las Vegas and Westgate casinos. As a result, the two casinos filed false currency transaction reports, the indictment states.
    Under federal law, casinos are required to prepare and submit reports of transactions that exceed $10,000. The indictment charges that casinos prepared and submitted at least 137 false reports as a result of Oancea’s use of at least two fraudulent Social Security numbers.
    The indictment also seeks an order to force Oancea to forfeit about $881,600 — part of the fortune he has won off of sports betting.
    In 2015, Oancea collected $2.5 million after betting $100,000 on the Kansas City Royals to win the World Series. The following year, he won a record-setting $2.3 million off an NFL future bet he placed on the Denver Broncos to win the Super Bowl. His website also assigns him the nickname “Futures King.”
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...urity-numbers/

    Looks like Dave is in trouble with LV Metro too: (and good point made in the tweet JSTAT has been saying for years):

    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 406
Size:  39.9 KB
    Last edited by Shizzmoney; 04-19-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

    "Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

  2. #2
    "Vegas Dave" Oancea banned from sportsbooks for three years, sentenced to three years probation, gambling treatment and 150 hours of community service. LOL at his statement today, ship the scammatar

    Oancea wrote of his sentencing on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, where he has nearly a million combined followers.

    “For the last three years, I’ve faced the biggest gamble of my life being indicted by the Federal Government on 19 felony counts carrying a potential sentence of 40+ years in federal prison,” part of his nearly 2,000-word Facebook post read. “But true to who I am — a gambling man — I bet on myself and decided at that moment to stand up for my constitutional rights and to defend my freedom and innocence.”
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...k-ban-1668779/
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

    "Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

  3. #3
    These lenient sentences I keep reading about in Nevada/LV are surreal to me. Essentially no one gets just probation on any federal charge where I am from.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    These lenient sentences I keep reading about in Nevada/LV are surreal to me. Essentially no one gets just probation on any federal charge where I am from.
    Two words...

    Schonfeld and Chesnoff

    It would appear even Micon was more savvy than you.
    MLB 46-34-3 +13.43 units
    Sun 0-1 -1.00 units

  5. #5
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4463
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    30,752
    Blog Entries
    2
    From his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/dave.oancea.9

    COMMENT AND SHARE THIS VIDEO IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE GOING THRU SOME REALLY HARD TIMES. TO INSPIRE THEM THAT LIFE IS NOT ALWAYS EASY. BUT WITH DETERMINATION AND A STRONG MINDSET HE OR SHE CAN MAKE IT THRU TO PROSPERITY AND TRIUMPH!!

    For the last three years, I’ve faced the biggest gamble of my life being indicted by the Federal Government on 19 felony counts carrying a potential sentence of 40+ years in federal prison. But true to who I am — a gambling man — I bet on myself and decided at that moment to stand up for my constitutional rights and to defend my freedom and innocence. Today, I walked out of the federal courtroom a free man with zero felonies and zero prison time.
    This three-year battle has really been the biggest blessing in my life. Truly it has. I hope I can inspire just one person out there that is reading this to never quit and to never give up on your dreams. Life is rough and not easy. Hell, if it was easy we would all be self-made millionaires, right? The issue in society today is that so many people want to accomplish impossible things living a possible lifestyle. In this world, you have to get a little uncomfortable to get comfortable. Too many people give up on their dreams because they listen to others. It may be your negative parents, your negative brother or sister, or your negative spouse that tries to crush your dreams. Trust me I have been laughed at, mocked, and called crazy my entire life because my dreams were thought to be unattainable. But I am okay with that. Why should average minds believe in above average dreams? So, my message to all of you today is don’t try to make average minds understand your mission in life. If you are going to live an above average life, then you won’t be able to relate to average people.
    Some of you may think life is over if you lose your job, get a divorce, or lose someone special that is close to you. Most of you simply quit on life and settle for mediocrity but life goes on, it really does. If I could create massive success and create a global empire all while facing 19 felony counts and 40+ years in prison than surely you can make it through your hard times as well! As I’ve said before it’s not the obstacles life throws at us, it’s how we respond and persevere through these drastic times.
    “God is Great” #vegasdave


    I love how he's citing his own bravery for buying expensive lawyers to negotiate a sweetheart plea deal to where he avoids jail time.

    Exactly what was so brave about it, and in what way was he "gambling"?

    Negotiating a plea deal is the opposite of gambling.

    This guy is so full of crap.

  6. #6
    Bronze The Shrink's Avatar
    Reputation
    254
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Your superego.
    Posts
    335
    Did anyone check out that show "Action" on Showtime about sports betting (mostly) in Vegas? It's actually very well made. Vegas Dave is heavily featured in it. There are four episodes.



    During production, some of the other people to be featured in the documentary found out that Vegas Dave was also featured and they got mad or backed out because they didn't want to be associated with him. The producers told them to watch the show first before passing judgement and those who saw it apparently ended up being happy how everything was portrayed.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    Did anyone check out that show "Action" on Showtime about sports betting (mostly) in Vegas? It's actually very well made. Vegas Dave is heavily featured in it. There are four episodes.



    During production, some of the other people to be featured in the documentary found out that Vegas Dave was also featured and they got mad or backed out because they didn't want to be associated with him. The producers told them to watch the show first before passing judgement and those who saw it apparently ended up being happy how everything was portrayed.
    Unreal how much money he made on his wrong super bowl pick. Pay a shit ton of money for someone to tell u to bet against THE GOAT lol degens

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    During production, some of the other people to be featured in the documentary found out that Vegas Dave was also featured and they got mad or backed out because they didn't want to be associated with him. The producers told them to watch the show first before passing judgement and those who saw it apparently ended up being happy how everything was portrayed.
    The sports handicappers/bettors on the show won't call Vegas Dave out for the fraud he is mainly because they are selling the same BULLSHIT picks at cheaper prices and because Showtime wanted to promote Vegas Dave as a rich genius who can't lose.


    Vegas Dave is the Tommy Vu of the future.



  9. #9
    Bronze The Shrink's Avatar
    Reputation
    254
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Your superego.
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Showtime wanted to promote Vegas Dave as a rich genius who can't lose.
    Did you watch episodes 3 and 4? The reason the others didn't mind Vegas Dave's involvement is because the show accurately portrays him as a buffoon by the end.

  10. #10
    I saw all four episodes.

    Showtime actually portrayed Vegas Dave as more human and not enough as a buffoon and scammer.

    For the most part, Dave was promoted in a positive light, except when his own parents bashed him.

    Dave is a sick fucking gambler.

    He could bet $200K on a game no one gives a shit about and look like a genius when it wins. If he loses, he borrows money from a friend/sucker and doubles down until he wins. That's his winning strategy.

    If you want to be the greatest sports handicapper in the world you must drive a $500K car, live in a $5 million home, buy a $500K handbag, and go on a yacht with a dozen half naked women with their boobs bouncing everywhere.



  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Showtime wanted to promote Vegas Dave as a rich genius who can't lose.
    Did you watch episodes 3 and 4? The reason the others didn't mind Vegas Dave's involvement is because the show accurately portrays him as a buffoon by the end.
    They handled Dave perfectly. You slowly learned about Dave. You met his parents. You heard them speak. The director didn’t have to whack you over the head with the fraud issue. It was better to arrive at your own conclusion.

    Perfectly done. I never really knew the Vegas Dave story. And just in time, I guess.

    FTR my avatar was Lewfather’s drunken doing on my first day at PFA. Druff was a small revision.
    MLB 46-34-3 +13.43 units
    Sun 0-1 -1.00 units

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-29-2015, 07:18 PM
  2. 32 years old, just discovered I have 2 social security #'s
    By FNdonkey in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-08-2014, 09:22 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2013, 02:50 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 09:28 PM
  5. Broncos safety Quinton Carter facing Vegas cheating charges
    By JimmyG_415 in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 07:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •