Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vegas sportsbettor James Holzhauer killing it on Jeopardy

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Vegas sportsbettor James Holzhauer killing it on Jeopardy

Apparently Alex Jacob is now only the second best poker player at Jeopardy.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/national/l...one-day-record

Load Metric
    youtubed his name and found this. I had no idea they had The Chase in the US and it even has the british guy as the Chaser

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Apparently Alex Jacob is now only the second best poker player at Jeopardy.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/national/l...one-day-record
    Except he ISN’T a poker player. He’s a sports wagerer. He used to play futures but now is an assassin live betting.

Name:  1D8A9E1E-6BC7-4738-909A-405E5E72A01D.png
Views: 846
Size:  417.6 KB

Apparently the guy is GOT like Alex Jacob was. He is a serial killer and has been accused of cheating he plays so well.

I haven’t watched since Alex. I detest the self important tone Alex Trebek anoints the show with. Merv Griffin would be appalled. That will be corrected shortly.

Nevertheless, I am told tonight is a must watch. I will make an exception.

Comments

MumblesBadly: He’s probably a superfish at poker.

Load Metric
    $131,127.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Watched a couple episodes this week. The guy is a freaking machine, it's surprisingly entertaining.

Apparently they just finished filming the last episode till September. Not sure what kind of a delay they have, but seems like a very real possibility that Trebek won't live long enough to see him lose.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    The guy is a freaking machine, it's surprisingly entertaining.

Normally, I have a hard-on for Jeopardy but yes this surprisingly entertaining and JeopardyJames IS a machine.

There was a point where the other two contestants were just laughing.

Big Bets and a Fast Buzzer: The Secret Sauce of James Holzhauer’s ‘Jeopardy!’ Success
    https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/4/...k-ken-Jennings

The thing I took away from the article and will change my perception of Jeopardy forever is the idea that on the whole all the players know the answers - it’s all about the buzzer

From Ken Jennings:
    If you put random people up there on Jeopardy!, the most important thing would be who knows the answers,” says Jennings. “But with players that good, buzzer timing really becomes what tends to separate the winner from the non-winners.”
    Great read and the definitive JeopardyJames piece so far.

Load Metric
    Crushed again:

Name:  938c8c284a81ba7a6bd512f58ea104b6.png
Views: 686
Size:  207.1 KB

Load Metric
    James Holzhauer will definitely break the one million dollar mark.

Hopefully Ken Jennings 74-day winning streak will be beaten too. I believe that Ken knew the answer to his last question but intentionally answered the question wrong for some reason.

Crushed again:

Name:  938c8c284a81ba7a6bd512f58ea104b6.png
Views: 686
Size:  207.1 KB

Possible 1/4 Asian. You can see the influence around the eyes. Godspeed and make our new Emperor proud. Reiwa commands you.

Load Metric
    Just watched him book another $90k + win. Went into final jeopardy with ~ $50k vs $4k vs $2k

~ $940k after 12 game win streak

Guy's a machine and impossible to root against.

Load Metric
    Just watched him book another $90k + win. Went into final jeopardy with ~ $50k vs $4k vs $2k

With the explosion of sports wagering content it will be interesting how he parlays this Jeopardy fame.

I’m sure VSiN will give him a regular slot.

Two of the Showtime Action guys are regulars now and both are great.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

With the explosion of sports wagering content it will be interesting how he parlays this Jeopardy fame.

I’m sure VSiN will give him a regular slot.

Two of the Showtime Action guys are regulars now and both are great.
    So your sayin he could parlay this... I would also bet he will have many options besides sports betting work.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    I haven't paid any attention to this guy's run, but Ken Jennings and others who have went on runs have all admitted that it was basically mastering the buzzer timing, more specifically reading the person who signals the buzzers are good to go.

While it may seem like the buzzer is a contestant’s best friend, it can also bring his or her competitive run to a screeching halt. Not so friendly anymore, huh? As Alex Trebek reads each clue, contestants stand behind their podiums pondering the correct response. The instant that the clue’s final syllable is uttered, it’s up to each contestant to buzz in before the others. Too soon and they’re punished with a quarter of a second penalty where they are unable to buzz in again, which affords the competition the chance to take the money and run. Conversely, time the whole thing just right, and they have the floor. It’s a fine line, but it’s a line each contestant must walk if they’re to be a Jeopardy! champion.

If you’re wondering how granular champions get with their buzzer technique, watch the above video again and note some of the answers. Ken Jennings, like many champions, buzzes in the same way every time. This predictability is arguably one of his greatest keys to success as it’s vital to get in a groove on Jeopardy! Everything from the way he holds the buzzer, to the timing of buzzing in, to the number of times he presses the buzzer’s button is calculated. He has the routine nailed much like a prolific golfer approaches each shot the same way.
    Most of the trivia and general knowledge nerds who practiced this and had the will to gamble, which I'm guessing this guy has extensively, would have similar success. Anyone who passes the screening test to be on the show knows most of the answers.

Load Metric
    He's over $1m in total winnings now, and has beaten the previous single game record 7 times.
    Today:
    Name:  865c3e221f4e294a9e181f106cbedc10.png
Views: 904
Size:  156.7 KB

Comments

Sanlmar: Just look at that picture. Lol

Load Metric
    Name:  4295f1ab3402e778afbdbc9c13f7a78e.png
Views: 894
Size:  165.0 KB
    Name:  cc558204ebc987f51d6220e6af0c7eee.png
Views: 885
Size:  147.8 KB
    Name:  e9fa11142e600299f2efa4234c296810.png
Views: 849
Size:  156.2 KB
    Name:  1c84c0c829dd91eda6b7f4ad1abd8708.png
Views: 847
Size:  152.2 KB
    Name:  4445e0e40af196be36ad7fe80870a6e7.png
Views: 871
Size:  158.2 KB
    Name:  be3da2f95f9ac06a348beb4bd717a5c4.png
Views: 882
Size:  162.6 KB
    Name:  e00c0a0112ba9187f3b5dd518677b2fe.png
Views: 854
Size:  166.5 KB

Comments

cleatus: 106K vs. 1 goddamn thats funny

DirtyErnie:

Load Metric
    “He had a lot of questions about the subtlety of the buzzer right away,” says Jeopardy! producer Maggie Speak, who oversees contestant coordination and leads an hourlong group orientation for new players each taping day. “Before he ever hit the stage, it was: ‘Well, what if I do this?’ He had a lot of very specific questions about the timing of the buzzer.”

“And clearly my answers must have helped him,” she says, laughing.

The way the buzzer works on Jeopardy! today is seemingly designed to confound anxious bookworms. In Jeopardy!’s original run with Art Fleming as host as well as in the first year of the revival with Trebek in 1984, contestants could ring in as early as they liked. But this proved confusing to at-home viewers who wanted to play along, so the rules were changed. (Never forget that Jeopardy! has been built for the express purpose of your nightly shouting of answers—sorry, questions—at your TV.) Now, after each clue is selected, Trebek reads its text aloud. The moment he finishes, a dedicated Jeopardy! staffer sitting at the judges’ table just offstage—Michael Harris, who also serves as one of the show’s writers—manually activates a switch that illuminates blue lights alongside the outer edges of the Jeopardy! board. The moment the “enable light” switches on, the three onstage contestants are permitted to ring in, but if they press their buzzers (“signaling devices” in official Jeopardy! parlance) even a fraction of a beat too early, they will be locked out of the system for a quarter-second, which is generally enough time for a competitor to swoop in instead. It’s a mechanism that’s hidden from viewers—you can’t see the blue lights in the telecast.

Comments

DonaldTrumpsHairPiece: Interesting

Load Metric
    The most obvious way you can tell James is good with the buzzer is that he keeps winning. The average Jeopardy! contestant is no slouch: By the time a player is onstage, he or she has passed the show’s famously rigorous entry test twice—once online and once in person. Jennings puts it this way: “Almost all of the contestants know almost all of the answers almost all of the time,” he says. Which is to say that more often than not, all three players know a given clue’s answer, and all three are attempting to ring in—meaning buzzer timing is hugely important. James, who has lately shown off knowledge about subjects including the Book of Daniel and Tammy Wynette, says he took the online tryout test 13 times—every year that it was offered—and had two in-person auditions before he was finally invited on.

If you put random people up there on Jeopardy!, the most important thing would be who knows the answers,” says Jennings. “But with players that good, buzzer timing really becomes what tends to separate the winner from the non-winners.”

Jennings should know: His original stint on Jeopardy!—that 74-game winning spree—was such a display of technical dominance that the show’s powers that be changed the rules to make things easier on players attempting to unseat a champion. New players begin their taping days with a practice round while Speak, having gone through the general orientation that morning, gently course-corrects contestants she notices are ringing in too early or too late, or holding the buzzer in a position likely to get them in trouble. (She advises against what she calls the “Statue of Liberty pose,” which she suggests might get tiring over a 22-minute episode.) Unlike during Jennings’s first run, this practice round now also includes Harris at the enable-light switchboard, giving challengers a crucial chance to familiarize themselves with his light-up tempo.

Other players—including James—have been drawn more to the science than the art of buzzing in, leaning on the same sort of analytics-based approach that has dictated his Daily Double hunting. For these players, there is a sacred text: Secrets of the Buzzer by Fritz Holznagel.

“When I got invited back for the Battle of the Decades, I was 52 years old. I knew that I was not really in the loop on pop culture, and just generally, there’s no way you’re going to be smarter than these other contestants,” Holznagel says. “It occurred to me that if I was going to have any hope of doing well in this tournament, I would have to find some other edge.”

That edge he went about sharpening? Buzzer reaction time. Jeopardy!, he says, is a unique beast in the trivia world. “If you’re playing a College Bowl or quiz bowl or that kind of thing, people can ring in anytime,” he says. “But Jeopardy! is really unusual and different and it has this one twist, which is it’s basically a reaction-time test tacked onto a trivia contest.” He wondered: Could he hack it?

With the help of some friends, he created a wired buzzer that timed his buzzing speed, and over the course of some 27,000 tests, he managed to lower his reaction time from .228 seconds to as low as .126 seconds. Holznagel’s trials led him to a series of general guidelines for buzzer mastery: Use your thumb, keep your arms in front of you, hold still, and—if you can—chug some coffee in the green room, which Holznagel credits with shaving five one-thousandths of a second off his reaction time. Oh: And keep your eyes locked on the about-to-be-illuminated enable light.

Many players fashion their own buzzers to practice ringing in with at home: Jennings used one of his son’s toys, while many others use ballpoint pens—a memento Speak and the rest of the contestant crew give out at auditions with that in mind. In the weeks before he first went on the show, James fashioned a practice buzzer by wrapping masking tape around a mechanical pencil, below:

Name:  89999FD8-5B56-4866-97E0-C2083E9C2E83.jpeg
Views: 848
Size:  140.1 KB
    (Holzhauer's)

“I would save several episodes to watch back-to-back on my DVR, and when I had an hour free from work and parenting, I’d put on dress shoes to simulate standing that way during the tape day,” he says, clicking his pencil-buzzer as needed.

Fat chance, says Cohen: “There’s an annual trivia conference in Vegas and he has won the five-by-five competition there, which is a very similar game to Jeopardy!, but instead of three contestants, it’s five contestants. So you can imagine having to buzz in faster than twice as many competitors.”
    https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/4/...k-ken-jennings

Load Metric
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 04-25-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Load Metric
    Sounds like PFA was a head of him.

Thread Information