Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vegas sportsbettor James Holzhauer killing it on Jeopardy

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also

Load Metric
    Wins again, 2.25M now....

He is starting to look board/tired, anyone else see this?

Load Metric
    Alex Jacob still pissed that he beat his Jeopardy record and that James Holzhauer uses game theory to beat everybody.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Alex Jacob still pissed that he beat his Jeopardy record and that James Holzhauer uses game theory to beat everybody.
    He never had a record and isn't pissed....why make shit up?

He's actually playing a few tourneys this summer in Vegas, maybe druff can get him on the show.

Load Metric
    Alex Jacob's record was...six wins for $151,802.

He won the 2015 Jeopardy Tournament of Champions for $250,000.

And his team for Jeopardy's All-Stars won $75,000.

His record for "white guy with the biggest afro" remains intact.

Comments

duped_samaritan: Which isn't a record, and he isn't pissed that James is doing well...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

He's actually playing a few tourneys this summer in Vegas, maybe druff can get him on the show.
    In fact, Alex Jacob was the first to employ game theory too.

No pictures of Alex as a currency trader? That, not poker, is what he claimed he did.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

In fact, Alex Jacob was the first to employ game theory too.

No pictures of Alex as a currency trader? That, not poker, is what he claimed he did.
    He worked at Gelber Group, a mid-range prop.

Comments

Sanlmar: You were on this real time I recall. More Monsterj & less sanlmar

Load Metric
    LOL...Alex Jacob says he played against James Holzhauer at other trivia contests and thought that he would do well on Jeopardy.

Then moderator asks Alex the question "Could you beat James at Jeopardy?"

Alex says it would be close. It depends who gets the daily doubles, but it would be close.

BULLSHIT! I bet if he played against him a hundred times...he would lose ALL hundred.

Another thing James is doing right is answering almost ALL questions right. Like 27 out of 30 per episode.

Ken Jennings hopes James does well too.
    Hopefully, James will end his Jeopardy run at 73 wins or less.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post

He has looked tired this week. He, almost, looks like he feels bad at times for steamrolling his opponents. Like he takes 5 minutes off to give them a little hope for catching up. Hopefully just a bug or something. Only $58k tonight. Opponents cutting into his profits trying to replicate his style. Might need to start a gofundme for him if this keeps up. Hard to make it on only $250-300k per filming day.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

He has looked tired this week. He, almost, looks like he feels bad at times for steamrolling his opponents. Like he takes 5 minutes off to give them a little hope for catching up. Hopefully just a bug or something. Only $58k tonight. Opponents cutting into his profits trying to replicate his style. Might need to start a gofundme for him if this keeps up. Hard to make it on only $250-300k per filming day.
    Noticed this last night, he lays back a bit, mind you the guy on the end wasn't bad at times nor the lady in the middle, cut his profits.

The stats as of a few days ago had him answering 97% of the Q's right vs Ken's 91.X%. Ken also said heads up it would be a matter of daily doubles but covered his arse by also saying he wants his old brain back too to be competitive.

Load Metric

The guy has never had a 9-5 since he was 21.

Son, do you have the maturity and discipline to grind out $300k once a week?

The A’s, Orioles and Red Sox publicly express interest - the problem is he may be unemployable as a 40hr/wk warrior. He has no track record. That’s a bad gamble. It’s simple analytics.

Right?

Load Metric

The guy has never had a 9-5 since he was 21.

Son, do you have the maturity and discipline to grind out $300k once a week?

The A’s, Orioles and Red Sox publicly express interest - the problem is he may be unemployable as a 40hr/wk warrior. He has no track record. That’s a bad gamble. It’s simple analytics.

Right?

Lol. I’d probably take him for an engaged 15 hours a week over the analytics crew on some teams. He seems particularly stable for a young dude in that world. We’d work on his stamina

He’s just been playing a little differently. Less click ins. Small sample size and I haven’t watched since the start, so maybe it’s me. I wonder if it’s by design. I imagine he often clicks with 90% surety he knows the answer or it will come to him in the next split second. That’s the part I’d love to ask him, or see asked. How often are you clicking when you know where the question is heading and arrive at the answer after you’ve already clicked? Like I know probably 50% of the answers rather quickly, another 20% if it was final jeopardy style where I had time to think when I watch, but trying to move it from brain to verbalize it while worrying about clicking fast would be extremely challenging.

His opponents are starting to replicate his strategy knowing they are drawing dead otherwise. I’m wondering if they’re more astute and cognizant about click in speed? So much written about that. They still aren’t him. He’s still comfortable throughout. His run feels likely to turn into a stream of $50k days as opponents adjust. If I’m playing against him, know I’m virtually drawing dead, I’m obsessed with clicking and hope the answer moves from the recesses of my brain to mouth in enough time. What other prayer do you have? I’d rather end up -16000 as opposed to crawling into final jeopardy with $4500. James is going to remember me one way or the other. Most likely as the guy who clicked at everything and ended up with very dark red numbers. I’m praying for my most lucid day and just clicking at everything and popping adderall and maybe throw some cocaine in there. I’m clicking everything and it’s like 98% I don’t make final jeopardy and end up deeply negative. I could live with that. I don’t have to return to some college campus to teach sociology. I couldn’t limp into that final jeopardy getting ready for that toothy grin from James not knowing I didn’t just make him say who the fuck is this crazy fucker?

When he goes down, I predict he goes down to someone <40 despite his closest competitors so far being older. That quick brain quick trigger combo feels like a young man’s game.
    Last edited by BCR; 05-31-2019 at 06:43 AM.

Load Metric
    I'd like to know what the time frames are, how many games a day, how long to tape 1 show and how much time in a day between games.

Is it a stamina issue, well it shouldnt be just physical but mental, saying that he has a strong mental game so maybe just the physical as mentioned.

Mind you assuming he isn't a 40 hr/wk guy is wrong imo because the time and dedication he needs to put in physically and mentally to obtain the knowledge must be brutal. I doubt he reads a Johns bathroom reader causally on the toilet then goes to bed.

Ok some what answered my Q's on a day at jeopardy.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/cast-...rebek-tape-day

Point form:

11:15am - 12:00pm: First show of the day tapes during this time, and the games usually tape true to time, unless there is a technical problem.

12:00 - 12:15pm: Changes into a new suit. The returning champion also changes clothes so that people at home don't wonder why they only have one outfit for the week.

12:15 - 1:00pm: Alex tapes the second show for the day.

1:15 - 2:00pm: Tapes the third show of the day with the same audience. Each tape day has two audiences – the first audience sees the first three tapings, the second audience sees the last two.

2:00pm: If there are special promotional requests, Public Service Announcements, contestant search promos, and anything else to record, those are done at this point. Then the whole crew breaks for lunch from 2:00 to 3:00, where Alex usually enjoys the soup of the day or sushi.

3:00 - 3:45pm: Tape fourth show in front of a "new" studio audience.

3:45 - 4:15pm: Tape the last show of the day – the fifth.

So from 11:15 to 4:15 all shows are taped with the obvious breaks at commercial/audience talk and lunch from 2:00-3:00.

That means roughly 4 hours of actual on stage/taping/banter/game play but even less actual game play. So James is literally working 2.5 HRS a day answering questions just as we'd assume over 5 games and standing around for 1.5 more and 1 HR for lunch each day. If anything Alex has it rougher lol
    Last edited by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece; 05-31-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Load Metric
    That’s an interesting take BCR. I haven’t watched either.

More than anyone since Alex Jacob. James would appreciate that sports, wagering and I guess Jeopardy is about making constantly adjustments to your foe.

That there are signs his competition is finally treating the game as more than a trivia exercise is interesting. That James might be adjusting his style and playing back is really cool too.

Maybe the actual competition will be getting interesting. Probably not

Load Metric
    That’s an interesting take BCR. I haven’t watched either.

More than anyone since Alex Jacob. James would appreciate that sports, wagering and I guess Jeopardy is about making constantly adjustments to your foe.

That there are signs his competition is finally treating the game as more than a trivia exercise is interesting. That James might be adjusting his style and playing back is really cool too.

Maybe the actual competition will be getting interesting. Probably not
    The main difference is when these competitors hit the daily they seem to succeed at doubling at a much lower rate than James, as last night if I recall. He essentially has allowed them to kill themselves because once they get the DD wrong, game set match.

He can only lose two ways as I see it, someone as bright hits 2 DD's and gets them correct while all in or nearly all in with decent money or James gets a run for his money and loses the final Q to that other competitor. But him straight up not being in it until the end is highly unlikely, it would take a true statistical misfortune or him laying back too much and his odds of hitting the DD drop. But zi dont think he'd lay off unless they were already found so...

Load Metric
    If anything Alex has it rougher lol
    I just saw that Alex Trebek is 78.

If a 78 year old guy with stage 4 cancer can do it, how rough can the day be?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Go check the "Secret Forum" for a thread I just created on this if you are interested in the show.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Go check the "Secret Forum" for a thread I just created on this if you are interested in the show.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/03/ent...www.cnn.com%2F
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Did he give up ? Seemed like he gave up

Thread Information