Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air conditioner dripping through vent -- wtf does this mean

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's a shot of the area which is dripping in the attic, which then ran down and dripped through the vent.

I can't reproduce the drip now, however.

Don't laugh at how dirty the attic is. Previous owners did this, and I never bothered to go up and clean it.

Name:  attic2.png
Views: 422
Size:  982.6 KB

What is this pipe for?

Load Metric
    So you have a big box suspended above the ceiling. This is your evaporator. Outside the house is your condenser.

There is a line filled with refrigerant connecting the two.

The hot air (return) from the house is blown past cold coils in the evaporator and then blown out those flexible hoses to the various rooms.

There is probably a big vent in a hallway very close to this evaporator in your attic - this is the return with hot house air feeding the evaporator to be cooled

When you blow hot humid air over cold coils moisture is produced. Water needs to get drained.

So those white pvc pipe especially the one with the “u shaped bend”/trap is the drain pipe. That bend is like the drain trap under your sink. The pipe is angled slightly downward to keep things flowing away.

So is the pipe leaking or is the water leaking from the unit onto the pipe?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Thanks for the assistance here.

It appears that the water was leaking from the pipe itself. It's not leaking now, so I can't be sure (plus it's a pain in the ass to get up there)

The pic is a bit inaccurate, as the drip seems to be a little bit to the left of where I indicated.

Load Metric
    Save yourself a return trip to attic.

Personally, and I’m not a trades guy, I think you have a problem with the pan under the coils inside that box (evaporator).

Maybe it overflows and is getting blown into ductwork too. Idk.

Needs a cleaning. It’s a job for the Russian cause you will fall through the ceiling.

If it is just a bad piece of pipe then it’s a piece of cake.

It’s good to know the scope of work (and what to tip). Gotta change my shorts now.

I had a house in New England that had the evaporator in the attic and that u shaped bend. Attics in New England get as cold as the outside air in the winter. That trap was filled with water - froze then cracked

Next spring I had a leak on a ceiling.

It’s all about me, you see.

Comments

MumblesBadly: What about that “nice skinny Asian boy”? Maybe he’s available.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Probably have to call Russia, then.

Fucking Russia. They give me fake news, they hack PFA, and now I need them to fix my AC.

Load Metric
    attic...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Not sure how they build houses there but you can tell if that pipe has a clog if the bypass pipe is dripping outside of your house....it’s usually set near a window so you can see it....need to send some bleach down those pipes every so often so algae etc doesn’t clog it up.

If you tap on hat metal box above the pipe and you can tell that it’s full of water...you have a clog.

https://newcombandcompany.com/resour...-clogged-heres

Platinum
    Load Metric
    If a pipe like this is ever dripping....you got a clog

https://i.stack.imgur.com/Kg3Hv.png

Name:  Kg3Hv.png
Views: 269
Size:  429.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Solved.

Believe it or not, it was due to a clogged bathroom sink drain.

The pipe seen in the picture above eventually leads to the drain in Benjamin's room.

That drain became clogged a few days before the AC unit caused the major drip through the vent.

I had someone here to work on the leak (my attempt to fix it failed), and the guy said, "Well, I can fix this, but just to let you know, your air conditioner drains into this, and sometimes that causes it to clog more often. Same thing happens in my house."

This was BEFORE I told him anything about having a problem with my AC unit.

Obviously this wasn't a coincidence. The full clog in the sink (it won't drain at all now) caused that pipe to back up, and water leaked out of it from the pressure.

Never would have guessed this was the problem in a million years.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Solved.

Believe it or not, it was due to a clogged bathroom sink drain.

The pipe seen in the picture above eventually leads to the drain in Benjamin's room.

That drain became clogged a few days before the AC unit caused the major drip through the vent.

I had someone here to work on the leak (my attempt to fix it failed), and the guy said, "Well, I can fix this, but just to let you know, your air conditioner drains into this, and sometimes that causes it to clog more often. Same thing happens in my house."

This was BEFORE I told him anything about having a problem with my AC unit.

Obviously this wasn't a coincidence. The full clog in the sink (it won't drain at all now) caused that pipe to back up, and water leaked out of it from the pressure.

Never would have guessed this was the problem in a million years.
    Of course I believe it...it's what I said.

Load Metric
    Youre welcome.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I got sidetracked and didn't even bother to read the rest of the thread and into the fact that this was actually coming from the attic. I guess I ultimately was taking for granted that the condenser was outside on ground level and the rest of unit was in the basement because (as far as I know) that is normally how it is done in my neck of the woods.

Load Metric
    NIGGA YOU GOAN DIE

Load Metric
    in the desert of AZ and NV there are many older houses with complete a/c unit on roofs including duct work. Easiest refit for pre 50's houses. Friends that have owned small houses in Lake Havasu have $700+ electric bills May to Oct. with roof a/c and 60's insulation. Rootop compressor and condenser with attic evaps are cheap and easy to install so are common as well. Basements are between uncommon and rare in AZ, NV. Thin slab foundations are the rule. Pics are Trulia random built 1945 in AZ, evaporative cooler certainly used to be where a/c sits now.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information