Thread: Druff can you check my IP please

Load Metric

Druff can you check my IP please

Test

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Test
    Wind blowing out in St Louis? Is that what you’re after?

Or Yankees over 8.5 late tonight?

Let me know if I’m close

If it’s NBA you’re after it’s the first round so that’s gonna have to be a pass

Comments

BCR: Lol-no- explanation below

Load Metric
    Druff I wonder if you can check something for me as I assume you have access and are in this thread most often.

I live like 4 miles from PA border, and with poker and sports betting coming online in a few months, I am always getting told by geolocation services when I’m in Ohio that I’m in PA, and then the opposite when I’m actually in PA. I can foresee problems being a border straggler. The post above was made in Ohio. This one in PA. If it’s an easy task for you, can you tell me if that’s shown accurate. Don’t waste any time if it isn’t easily viewable to you. I have no idea how those services work and figure you know this shit.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    First post was from a cell phone which resolves to PA.

Second is from a home cable connection which also resolves to PA.

Load Metric
    Druff I wonder if you can check something for me as I assume you have access and are in this thread most often.

I live like 4 miles from PA border, and with poker and sports betting coming online in a few months, I am always getting told by geolocation services when I’m in Ohio that I’m in PA, and then the opposite when I’m actually in PA. I can foresee problems being a border straggler. The post above was made in Ohio. This one in PA. If it’s an easy task for you, can you tell me if that’s shown accurate. Don’t waste any time if it isn’t easily viewable to you. I have no idea how those services work and figure you know this shit.
    if you still have trouble, there's a million free IP checkers online like whatismyip.com

Comments

BCR: I have used this, and it’s often wrong.

Platinum
    Load Metric

with your location being where it is, your IP might be the least of what you have to worry about...

guessing they're gonna be like NJ and use geolocation on your phone to two factor locate you...if you are on the border that could be a bitch and a half...

I gave up on trying to do college DFS when I was in philly because i'd train it across the border to around Camden NJ and had a bitch of a time getting just my computer to locate in NJ instead of PA...

might want to check where your cell pings off of when you are at home or you're gonna have to drive a little east to place sports bets...fucking pain in the ass...

Comments

BCR: I’ve seen people get $ seized, which is why I figured I’d ask

Load Metric
    Don't fuck around with geolocation on US regulated sites. You'll lose.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    yeah it's no joke...

but he's not gonna be fucking around with it, it's just that geolocation isn't an exact science...for as close as BCR is to the border he might get some false negatives on his phone...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    First post was from a cell phone which resolves to PA.

Second is from a home cable connection which also resolves to PA.

Thank you. First was in Ohio, second in Pa. It almost always shows that way when in Ohio, which is better than the inverse given the legality will be in PA.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    yeah it's no joke...

but he's not gonna be fucking around with it, it's just that geolocation isn't an exact science...for as close as BCR is to the border he might get some false negatives on his phone...
    He can't even figure out what his IP address is.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

yeah it's no joke...

He can't even figure out what his IP address is.
    I know what mine is when I’m staying in Ohio. Still, the same IP on something like Facebook will show the same IP signing in from multiple locations even if it’s all the same evening and I haven’t left Ohio in the security settings. I’ve heard that’s somewhat common on Facebook. What also happens though is a customer service rep will say I see you’re calling from Pa, when I’m not. This happens fairly commonly with banks. Like if I get a new card and activate it and I happen to grab something online, they’ll shut card down and I’ll get a fraud detection call hours later saying an out of state user was attempting a purchase. Anytime it goes into data away from my residence, it defaults immediately into PA, even across the street. I probably sleep in PA 4 nights a week which confuses it further. I was curious if A- I’m going to need to change anything to play if it is resolving to Pa anyway when I’m in Ohio B-will I get $ snagged when I’m legit in PA. Obviously I would assume that risk if in Ohio.

I may have to move in with badguy further across the border to be comfortable as it’s seems really imprecise where I live

Load Metric
    I know what mine is when I’m staying in Ohio. Still, the same IP on something like Facebook will show the same IP signing in from multiple locations even if it’s all the same evening and I haven’t left Ohio in the security settings.
    That's not how it works.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mobile IPs are very unreliable regarding geolocation.

That's what seems to be happening here.

Your first post was from a phone, which resolved to PA when you were actually in Ohio.

That's not particularly surprising.

Try posting from Ohio from something other than a wireless connection (Wifi is fine), and I'll tell you if it shows Ohio. I bet it will.

Load Metric

Your first post was from a phone, which resolved to PA when you were actually in Ohio.

Try posting from Ohio from something other than a wireless connection (Wifi is fine), and I'll tell you if it shows Ohio. I bet it will.
    Funny you should say this. There’s a truck stop in rural western Nebraska that is in Central Time Zone, but where AT&T’s two closest cell towers are in different time zones, one a few miles west in the Mountain Time Zone, and the other a few miles east in the same time zone as the truck stop. I learned this the hard way when my phone’s alarm woke me up an hour later than I planned because it was pinging off the Mountain Time Zone tower while I thought it was reflecting the time zone the truck stop was in. The next time I stayed there for an overnight break, I had to change the settings in my phone to manually set the time zone so that the time it reflected would be consistent and not flip between the time zones depending upon which tower it pinged off of.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

But on a more serious note, back in 2000, a high school kid in Baltimore, Adnan Syed, was convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend using cell tower pings that the prosecutors claimed put at the scene of where she was buried per the testimony of the state’s key witness. But it turned out that this kid’s lawyer fucked up by not calling that supposedly corroberating evidence into question based on a cover sheet to the cell phone data stating that incoming call pongs were “NOT RELIABLE” for geolocating the cell phone.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...min-lee-murder

The conviction was overturned at the district court level, and affirmed as overturned at the Court of Appeal level, based on a claim of “ineffective assistance of counsel” over that faulty use of cell tower evidence, but at a higher state court ruling, the conviction was reinstated over a technically of whether the defendant had previously waived his right to challenge the faulty cell tower evidence in his first post-conviction hearing six years earlier.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...er-conviction/

The fucked up part is that a majority of the judges of the seven judges in Maryland Court of Special Appeal ruling who voted to reinstate the murder conviction agreed that the faulty nature of the cell tower evidence was sufficient to overturn that conviction because of how it likely mislead the jury. Meaning, they believe he was not fairly convicted in the original trial, and they agreed that his original trial attorney had been legally “ineffective, but because the technicality over post-conviction hearing rights, that agreed-upon-by-a-majority-of-the-judges-faulty-murder-conviction was reinstated by Maryland’s highest court.

P.S. This story, and a whole lot more about this fucked up case, is covered by the HBO docuseries “The Case Against Adnan Syed”, as well as the following notable podcasts, primarily their first seasons but also with updates: Serial, Undisclosed, and Truth & Justice with Bob Ruff.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 04-23-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

But on a more serious note, back in 2000, a high school kid in Baltimore, Adnan Syed, was convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend using cell tower pings that the prosecutors claimed put at the scene of where she was buried per the testimony of the state’s key witness. But it turned out that this kid’s lawyer fucked up by not calling that supposedly corroberating evidence into question based on a cover sheet to the cell phone data stating that incoming call pongs were “NOT RELIABLE” for geolocating the cell phone.

The conviction was overturned at the district court level, and affirmed as overturned at the Court of Appeal level, based on a claim of “ineffective assistance of counsel” over that faulty use of cell tower evidence, but at a higher state court ruling, the conviction was reinstated over a technically of whether the defendant had previously waived his right to challenge the faulty cell tower evidence in his first post-conviction hearing six years earlier.

The fucked up part is that a majority of the judges of the seven judges in Maryland Court of Special Appeal ruling who voted to reinstate the murder conviction agreed that the faulty nature of the cell tower evidence was sufficient to overturn that conviction because of how it likely mislead the jury. Meaning, they believe he was not fairly convicted in the original trial, and they agreed that his original trial attorney had been legally “ineffective, but because the technicality over post-conviction hearing rights, that agreed-upon-by-a-majority-of-the-judges-faulty-murder-conviction was reinstated by Maryland’s highest court.

P.S. This story, and a whole lot more about this fucked up case, is covered by the HBO docuseries “The Case Against Adnan Syed”, as well as the following notable podcasts, primarily their first seasons but also with updates: Serial, Undisclosed, and Truth & Justice with Bob Ruff.
    Lolaments American justice.

Comments

sah_24: ya putting people in jail for words is better ... cucked faggot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Lolaments American justice.
    Forgot to mention that the district court trial judge who initially oversaw Syed’s second murder trial in 2000 and then later threw out the murder conviction after the second post-conviction hearing in 2016 ruled that the testimony of state’s key witness mentioned above was thoroughly unreliable given how many times his story changed and was inconsistent with the prosecution’s own claims about the timeline of events. Meaning that the only other evidence the conviction was based on was the now-discredited cell tower ping location data. And Syed still is in prison serving a life-plus-20-years sentence.

Load Metric
    Speaking of this geolocation shit, does anyone know how the mobile sportsbetting apps work in Nevada? My iPhone was thinking it was in California when I was in Tahoe (but on the Nevada side), while my Android knew I was in Nevada. And again in Laughlin, iPhone thought it was in Arizona while the android knew I was in Nevada. I know for certain I was using hotel WiFi while in Tahoe, but don't think I was while in Laughlin. But I don't think it's based on your IP address, because that'd be pretty damn easy to spoof (just use a Nevada VPN while you're out of state).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_ View Post
    Speaking of this geolocation shit, does anyone know how the mobile sportsbetting apps work in Nevada? My iPhone was thinking it was in California when I was in Tahoe (but on the Nevada side), while my Android knew I was in Nevada. And again in Laughlin, iPhone thought it was in Arizona while the android knew I was in Nevada. I know for certain I was using hotel WiFi while in Tahoe, but don't think I was while in Laughlin. But I don't think it's based on your IP address, because that'd be pretty damn easy to spoof (just use a Nevada VPN while you're out of state).
    It used to use complicated geolocation technology involving cell towers back around 2013 (at least that's what the poker sites did), but now it seems they're just using IP addresses.

Not sure about the mobile sportsbetting apps.

Thread Information