Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiger Woods $85k Bet update...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

We live in culture of artifice. Boxing, MMA, pitcher v hitter, man v course v nerves. The beauty of the combat sports is talk all you want, eventually it’s just you and me standing there. Golf is a beautiful mix of civility and insanity. Gentleman’s rules and self-inflicted psychological torture spread over 4 days. Given how you roll, the majors are 4 days of postseason anything. Everything matters. You should love it more.
    You use the word “artifice”. There is no guile or strategy.

Golf is about the quest to eliminate mistakes. The perfect swing. Becoming repeatable and robotic. Why is that anything but frustrating?

Toyota has a robot that can shoot 3’s pretty accurately but I’ll put a man in front of it and it’s over. Golf, not so much

No artifice.

Comments

BCR: I was referring to the other sports, not golf. The insincerity and fake civility in many sports.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 04-18-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

We live in culture of artifice. Boxing, MMA, pitcher v hitter, man v course v nerves. The beauty of the combat sports is talk all you want, eventually it’s just you and me standing there. Golf is a beautiful mix of civility and insanity. Gentleman’s rules and self-inflicted psychological torture spread over 4 days. Given how you roll, the majors are 4 days of postseason anything. Everything matters. You should love it more.
    You use the word “artifice”. There is no guile or strategy.

Golf is about the quest to eliminate mistakes. The perfect swing. Becoming repeatable and robotic. Why is that anything but frustrating?

Toyota has a robot that can shoot 3’s pretty accurately but I’ll put a man in front of it and it’s over. Golf, not so much

No artifice.

Elimination of mistakes under pressure is really fucking hard though. As someone who loves playoff performers I just would think golf would appeal to you more. What separates Bumgarner from Kershaw? It’s that few mistakes when the lights are bright, right? The majors in golf and a pitching duel in the playoffs always feel the same to me. You’re sailing along hole after hole or inning after inning and it can just go sideways at any point in a way that can undo excellence up to that point. The great ones don’t leave that pitch up three inches too high when it matters, despite the pressure. Sometimes you can escape a solo shot or a bogey, but you’re almost never surviving a triple bogey or 3 run inning when it counts. Like Tiger was Bumgarner and Mariano Rivera all rolled into one for all those years and somehow his life and body had fallen apart to the degree you’re looking at him and wondering if he’s too mentally fragile at this point to still do it. I just love that about golf majors. Dudes just trying not to throw up while performing with no margin for error.

I was watching the NBA playoffs when I posted that, and I meant artifice in terms of how the games are packaged to us. Like the NBA is amazing at marketing a sport where the reality is every single year you can ask yourself does my team have one of these five or six guys, preferably two? If the answer is no, you aren’t winning and everything else sports fans are consuming is marketing trickery. After something as pure as the masters I’m supposed to care about Deangelo Russel? Had to get it off my tv.

Load Metric
    There is a lot of meat in your pie BCR

The Kershaw Bumgarner pitching example - it’s cat-and-mouse with the batter. It’s not a fixed point. If during that cat-and-mouse you fuck up execution you might get taken deep.

As a pitcher you have a live opponent while you are making your athletic move.

Some days I like to approach sports (it’s usually tennis or racquetball now) and just “rip and run”. Play slightly out of control / on the ragged edge and see what develops. See how my opponent reacts.

You can’t do that with golf. It’s right or wrong. It’s the quest for perfection. It’s void of emotion ideally. My brain should be made by Toyota to play golf well

I’m messing bit here. The golf thing has been a lifelong schtick or brand with me. I really don’t like golf and all my buddies do. It provides good rag time.

Golf is classy and social. Beautiful atmosphere and all that. I get it. I’m just not wired that way.

Sports is an escape. Be in the moment and forget everything else. Golf is just an exercise in anger and frustration. Way too much down time to dwell on failure
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 04-19-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Same guy just bet $100K on Tiger to win the Grand Slam

https://sports.yahoo.com/wisconsin-m...205557114.html

Thread Information