Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods $85k Bet update...

Load Metric

Tiger Woods $85k Bet update...

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/gambler-...220112274.html

Ok so why is it I smell BS all over this guys story, am I a skeptic, unbeliever or a losing day trader with a mort. two car payments, student debt etc takes everything he can afford to lose and saves $2 to make it to William Hill to make the bet, his FIRST ever by the way. The fact he even knew where to go to start with is funny. What do you think the real story is, just a degen?

PS I was born yesterday

Comments

Sanlmar: Good topic

DirtyErnie: solid

Load Metric
    The sports wagering guys I follow immediately called nonsense too. However, they never offered their own theory. Was he laying a bet for a syndicate, for instance?

The sports grinders with bankroll management, who devote their waking lives to seeking small edges can’t fathom taking your last money and going for broke. Those people exist.

The most public and square bet always was Tiger. No one got larger cardboard checks and their picture taken cause Tiger hadn’t won in 11 years.

People have always bet the mortgage on the Super Bowl etc. Long odds with golf? The public is always attracted to plus money and long shots.

I’m gonna side with “people do degen things”. Most die under a bridge and you never hear that story.

Good for him.

Comments

DonaldTrumpsHairPiece:

nunbeater: agreed

DirtyErnie:
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 04-17-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Load Metric
    doesn't pass the smell test

Hi Lew!!!

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Yeah, it smelled to me as well

You can view his criminal history here. you will have to type in his first and last name (the CCAP system wont let me link directly to the search results)
    Now keep in mind, the search results on CCAP don't highlight his entire criminal history. If he has received anything at the municipal level, the results will not show up. For the most part, results in this system will only show up if it is a "state charge" or a county charge. Hopefully I explained this correctly but if you need me to elaborate, let me know:

There are 17 entries in CCAP on this guy

https://wcca.wicourts.gov/case.html

Platinum
    Load Metric
    im just reading through them now to get an idea

MULTIPLE Disorderly conducts. hit and run, MULTIPLE domestic abuse, multiple DUI's,multiple bail jumping, Battery, criminal damage to property...

Yeah...he really seems like a likely candidate to make a one time $85,000 long shot bet...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I love this line in the article (especially after reading through his criminal history):

Weeks before, he told his wife about wanting to place this wager, and though he faced a little opposition initially: "She said to me, 'I can't stop you from doing this, because if he wins, I'll never forgive myself.' She's a keeper."

LOL "opposition"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    I love this line in the article (especially after reading through his criminal history):

Weeks before, he told his wife about wanting to place this wager, and though he faced a little opposition initially: "She said to me, 'I can't stop you from doing this, because if he wins, I'll never forgive myself.' She's a keeper."

LOL "opposition"
    The irony is all over that entire quote like nothing else.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Yeah, it smelled to me as well

You can view his criminal history here. you will have to type in his first and last name (the CCAP system wont let me link directly to the search results)
    Now keep in mind, the search results on CCAP don't highlight his entire criminal history. If he has received anything at the municipal level, the results will not show up. For the most part, results in this system will only show up if it is a "state charge" or a county charge. Hopefully I explained this correctly but if you need me to elaborate, let me know:

There are 17 entries in CCAP on this guy

https://wcca.wicourts.gov/case.html
    Please spin me a scenario with shenanigans. I haven’t heard one yet.

The guy had a criminal track record. Are you saying the money was stolen perhaps?

I have this vague memory of a degen that might have called into PFA. This was before we posted love stories and left wing political draft choices. So this was a long time ago and memories fade.

He was a Foxwoods degen who went on heaters. There was prolly some roulette binkage involved.

He had a crew and prolly was a small time local drug dealer. He ends up in and out of jail. It’s a standard story.

The binkage and the heater stories are fun to listen to or read. To lay it all out on one spin is something I am incapable of doing but others have the capacity and the sickness.

Whether this guy appeared on PFA or not there were excellent threads on 2+2 back in the day filled with sick sick runs.

So was this Tiger Woods guy a small time hood? Does that ruin the story for you? Yes it is incomprehensible to us but he ain’t us.

Load Metric
    There is some level of irony that there is suspicion the Tiger Woods bettor was a degen and petty criminal.

Doesn’t that describe Tiger Woods?

Being a degen doesn’t diminish either accomplishment. I think Phil Mickelson needs to weigh in here.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    You bring up some interesting points. Frankly, im still trying to wrap my head around this and decipher it.

Im going to be heading to bed soon, so I'll add any thoughts I have maybe tomorrow. I will bet on one thing though...this guy just all of the sudden wagering $85K, that who knows where he even got from given his apparent lifestyle, and with NO betting history and all of the sudden luckily binking it, can't be the whole story...who knows when we will hear the truth though

Comments

badguy23: sorry bro but u get the red here stfu

Sanlmar: Badguy mad about Penguins

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    There is some level of irony that there is suspicion the Tiger Woods bettor was a degen and petty criminal.

Doesn’t that describe Tiger Woods?

Being a degen doesn’t diminish either accomplishment. I think Phil Mickelson needs to weigh in here.

Pretty much describes all of us!!

Free me and Peter DC

Load Metric
    Badguy, make it up to Gordo. We are trying to bring gambling discussion back to this sorry site. Maybe this thread can be a good start.

The Tiger degen bettor has triggered a lot of regret from the legal books.

It’s a really bad look while they try to close legislation state by state. Guy takes everything family has - bets and wins Not the advertising anyone is looking for.

What’s interesting is sports wagering punters are getting sort of the same mainstream press the poker players were getting a decade ago.

Load Metric
    What puzzles me as well and doesn't lend to proving it was shaddy but...

He said he had a mortgage, student debts and two car payments etc... but he had $85K cash saved up to lose?

If 100% up and up that has to be the definition of a degen, no?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post

He said he had a mortgage, student debts and two car payments etc... but he had $85K cash saved up to lose?

You gotta have a bankroll. Food and housing is an expense or a tax to be avoided.

Reminds me of my experience with poker back in the day. There was a class of player who would have baloney sandwiches in their backpack but have $20k on the table.

Reminds us of our founder. These guys recognize their working capital’s importance. Thus we have the “save $2 share a Uber story”.

Load Metric

You gotta have a bankroll. Food and housing is an expense or a tax to be avoided.

Reminds me of my experience with poker back in the day. There was a class of player who would have baloney sandwiches in their backpack but have $20k on the table.

Reminds us of our founder. These guys recognize their working capital’s importance. Thus we have the “save $2 share a Uber story”.

This is of course very true and I would normally agree it explains away the situation but remember, this was his first sports bet EVAH!

Load Metric

This is of course very true and I would normally agree it explains away the situation but remember, this was his first sports bet EVAH!
    There was some criticism of his taking 14:1. The true odds were said to be 22:1 but it’s public Tiger.

It was a noob type bet in the opinion of some. I have no idea how people model golf.

I made my 1st bets on golf with the Masters. Somebody suggested Molinari & DeChambrau. I was chatting with Simp & GBCP about it. I never watch golf either. I wouldn’t know what these guys look like. I was so shocked to see Molinari top of the board Sunday.

Which is all to say there was something special about the last Match. It captured the public in a different way. The new attention to sports wagering is gonna blow golf up again.

Maybe the Tiger degen got caught up in that too

Load Metric

There was some criticism of his taking 14:1. The true odds were said to be 22:1 but it’s public Tiger.

It was a noob type bet in the opinion of some. I have no idea how people model golf.

I made my 1st bets on golf with the Masters. Somebody suggested Molinari & DeChambrau. I was chatting with Simp & GBCP about it. I never watch golf either. I wouldn’t know what these guys look like. I was so shocked to see Molinari top of the board Sunday.

Which is all to say there was something special about the last Match. It captured the public in a different way. The new attention to sports wagering is gonna blow golf up again.

I suppose we can assume just a lucky newb bet, yes.

I was talking with a golfer today who said roughly 100ish start the tourney and 44+? make the cut, he is a great golfer and even he said he can't bet that shit.

He went on to say that a couple golfers made some very rare mistakes which helped Tiger win and it wasn't that he played masterfully per say.

However it came to be it worked out for the newb lol

Comments

Sanlmar: Good chat

Load Metric

I was talking with a golfer today who said roughly 100ish start the tourney and 44+? make the cut, he is a great golfer and even he said he can't bet that shit.

He went on to say that a couple golfers made some very rare mistakes which helped Tiger win and it wasn't that he played masterfully per say.

I’m watching golf with the wife on a Sunday morning. It was tremendous theater. She was wondering what is wrong with me. She NEVER saw me watch golf and she’s known me for decades. She is on the alert for the inevitable dimentia or mental collapse.

That said, I will never bet golf again. For a start, there is not enough games to smooth out variance. It’s too slow and would drive you to insanity... much like playing golf

I can’t take it.

Comments

DonaldTrumpsHairPiece:

Load Metric
    And...... update Seems like a hound at USA Today did a back round check too. I especially like this line "Obviously, I had $85,000 to place toward a bet. I have the ability to make $1.2 million. When was the last time you did that?"

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/gambler-...052140167.html

Comments

Sanlmar: Scumbag w/ $1.2m Too bad

Load Metric

I’m watching golf with the wife on a Sunday morning. It was tremendous theater. She was wondering what is wrong with me. She NEVER saw me watch golf and she’s known me for decades. She is on the alert for the inevitable dimentia or mental collapse.

That said, I will never bet golf again. For a start, there is not enough games to smooth out variance. It’s too slow and would drive you to insanity... much like playing golf

I can’t take it.

We live in culture of artifice. Boxing, MMA, pitcher v hitter, man v course v nerves. The beauty of the combat sports is talk all you want, eventually it’s just you and me standing there. Golf is a beautiful mix of civility and insanity. Gentleman’s rules and self-inflicted psychological torture spread over 4 days. Given how you roll, the majors are 4 days of postseason anything. Everything matters. You should love it more.

Thread Information