Thread: Daniel Negreanu accuses Global Poker Awards of impropriety after "trolls" win best podcast award

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Daniel Negreanu accuses Global Poker Awards of impropriety after "trolls" win best podcast award

PokerFraudAlert Radio always gets snubbed by the Global Poker Awards. I don't let this bother me, because the awards are a joke anyway, nor do I really give a shit about awards in general. The snubbing is a running joke on the show.

However, when I noticed this year that Negreanu's DAT Poker Podcast wasn't one of the finalists for "Best Poker Podcast", I had a feeling he was going to be bitter. In fact, I was kind of surprised it wasn't one of the choices, given Negreanu's star power along with the other two hosts (Terrence Chan, Adam Schwartz) who came over from the 2+2 Pokercast.

Anyway, we didn't hear anything from Daniel about it for awhile, but when David Lappin and Dara O'Kearney were the winners, that was too much for him to handle. David and Dara wrote some blogs critical of Negreanu a few months ago, and now he apparently hates them.

Rather than explain this further, here's SrslySirius' cliffs on the topic from 2+2:

Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius
    * Daniel posted a (now deleted) tweet about certain player traits being "cancer". He received a lot of backlash.

* Dara O'Kearny wrote a blog post criticizing Daniel for this, among other things. The thumbnail image was Daniel's infamous blackface snafu.

* Daniel called it a hatchet job and dismissed Dara as a troll.

* Later, Dara and his co-host David Lappin won a GPI award for best podcast. On the broadcast, Daniel was visibly disgusted and said "ewww".

* Daniel went on Twitter and made vague passive-aggressive https://twitter.com/RealKidPoker/status/1114639353794314240(as he often does), questioning the winner selection process.

* Later, Daniel went on his own podcast and said that Dara and David are just trolls, and that he has an inside GPI source that says their win is not legitimate.

* The Chip Race Podast twitter account https://twitter.com/thechiprace/status/1115689361285292032 if Daniel's "rigged" claims are true, tagging PokerStars and GPI.

* David tweets https://twitter.com/dklappin/status/1115690120412377089, tagging Eric Danis to inform him that Daniel has accused him of impropriety.

* Daniel gets very angry and resorts to more name calling, as seen in the image I posted earlier.

And here we are!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here were the jurors for the GPI Awards who made the decision:

Eric Danis
    Frank Op de Woerd
    William Shillibier
    Maria Ho
    Jamie Kerstetter
    Benjamin Erwin
    Brad Owen
    David Tuchman

I don't know Eric Danis, William Shillibier, Benjamin Erwin, or Brad Owen.

But the other four (Frank Op de Woerd, Maria Ho, Jamie Kerstetter, and David Tuchman) all have very good reputations in the poker world for their integrity, and all four of them have also been drama-free during their time in poker.

Frank lurks on this site, and sometimes quotes PFA as a source for Pokernews stories. David Tuchman is a good friend of PFA Radio co-host khalwat, who says great things about him.

I have a hard time believing that this was rigged.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In Daniel's defense, however, I will say that the Global Poker Awards nomination process was idiotic, and they didn't understand some of their own categories.

Cardschat did a good article about it: https://www.cardschat.com/news/globa...nominees-78633

That doesn't mean anything was rigged, but they definitely need to do better.

Even Chicago Joey was considering holding his own competing awards on the same day, in protest to the shoddy job they did in their nominations.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    In Daniel's defense, however, I will say that the Global Poker Awards nomination process was idiotic, and they didn't understand some of their own categories.

Cardschat did a good article about it: https://www.cardschat.com/news/globa...nominees-78633

That doesn't mean anything was rigged, but they definitely need to to better.

Even Chicago Joey was considering holding his own competing awards on the same day, in protest to the shoddy job they did in their nominations.
    The question is would he have won on his awards show for best podcast or for biggest softball tosses interviewing style as a poker media member

Thread Information