Thread: More Pokerstars Cleaning House: Barry Greenstein, Jake Cody, Randy Lew no longer "Team Pokerstars"

Load Metric

More Pokerstars Cleaning House: Barry Greenstein, Jake Cody, Randy Lew no longer "Team Pokerstars"

Randy Lew left a few days ago...

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2019/...tars-33855.htm

and now we hear long-time pro Barry Greenstein as well as Jake Cody are absent from the current list of Team Pokerstars on the site. So no mention from Pokerstars, just a quiet drop. I could only find this on the French PokerNews.com site (don't know why), so use Google translate...

https://fr.pokernews.com/news/2019/0...t=pn-hp-hero-2

This is the same way they dropped Vanessa Selbst. Pokerstars likes to pretend their old team members never existed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Not sure the current situation but I know many have been offered such shitty deals to stay on that it's not worth it to them.

Their was a point when Chris Moneymaker would never get the boot he's been on there team forever due to his story heavily assisting the online poker boom but he's not worth that much to them anymore at this stage they've just been extremely generous.

Outside of Negreanu and perhaps a few euro pros they don't need anyone in this era.

Comments

sah_24: Lol rather have Moneymaker than Negreanu's bitch ass ...

Salty_Aus: Moron offset

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Not sure the current situation but I know many have been offered such shitty deals to stay on that it's not worth it to them.

Their was a point when Chris Moneymaker would never get the boot he's been on there team forever due to his story heavily assisting the online poker boom but he's not worth that much to them anymore at this stage they've just been extremely generous.

Outside of Negreanu and perhaps a few euro pros they don't need anyone in this era.
    Boils down until online poker in the USA is legal nationwide with enough of a player pool why bother paying them.. Guys like Fedor and a few others don't register here in the USA in general with rec players and that's who PS tries to appeal to in their selection of Team PS Pros.. Hell PartyPoker is being smarter about some of their selections.. Dude Ive known for a bit was picked up as a PP OnlinePro and then hit 2nd on one of their powerseries tourneys for almost $80k his biggest cash ever (couple years ago he was so inconsistent while streaming amazing how good hes gotten since he moved from Canada to Kiwiland aka New Zealand)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is going to be tough on Barry.

He's hurting in the bankroll department nowadays.

In the 2000s, he was playing 4000-8000 at Bellagio.

Now I see him at Commerce in the 40-80 limit holdem game, not even willing to take a seat at the 60-120.

Rough.

He also has the old-and-beaten-down-by-life look to him.

He's not my biggest fan because of my issues with his stepson Joe Sebok, but I can't help but feel bad for the guy.

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric

$maker got a lifetime Contract after the 2003 WSOP.LIFETIME> $ guaranteed.
    Last edited by shoeshine box; 04-15-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: change @ to a 2.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeshine box View Post

$maker got a lifetime Contract after the 2003 WSOP.LIFETIME> $ guaranteed.
    I've heard rumors of that too for years but if the company changes owners like it did then I'm not sure that carries over.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Now I see him at Commerce in the 40-80 limit holdem game, not even willing to take a seat at the 60-120.

Rough.

He's not my biggest fan because of my issues with his stepson Joe Sebok, but I can't help but feel bad for the guy.
    This is very sad indeed but true for a while now.

I bet he wishes he didn't give away all of his tourney winnings for all of those years to charity.

This is a guy who was playing 4k/8k limit way back in the day as you mentioned (likely higher at times) and now he's stuck doing this.

I would have to think from the old school players who have survived he can at least find 10 to 50k staking whenever he needs it but crazy how times have changed for Barry.

Ted Forrest was right up there playing those nosebleed games and losing it all but he was way more of a degen then Barry.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't understand why Pokerstars pays US pros (minus Moneymaker b/c he's staple that casuals know; I also do believe he has a lifetime contract because they gotta be grateful of just how much money his win meant to the site, past and present)........ or even paying for sponsorships like the UFC. It exists in like 3 states
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    I don't understand why Pokerstars pays US pros (minus Moneymaker b/c he's staple that casuals know; I also do believe he has a lifetime contract because they gotta be grateful of just how much money his win meant to the site, past and present)........ or even paying for sponsorships like the UFC. It exists in like 3 states
    think it's one of two things:
    (1) they're willing to play the looooooong game in the US market to keep brand awareness here...
    (2) they know more than we do about looming legalization in more states...

I think 1 is more likely than 2, but seems like a helluva risky game to play...

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Rough.

I saw in the UB chat once someone asked Ivey who he thought the best player was and he said the best player is the one that wins the most money in live games, so it's Barry. (this was pre-FTP days)

It seems like he crushed it live for a year or two. He was always humble about that Asian GF of his loaning him money to get pumped up, etc.

Seems like a good dude, donating winnings to charity, going to Africa, the whole thing.

Remember the house he had with the fake Picassos and stuff?

So crazy. I think we would be surprised how small the # is of professional poker players that grinded their way up to the top and stayed there. I suspect everyone in Bobby's Room has some sort of other income - mainly booking, trust fund, unexplained wealth, etc but something other than playing poker.

Load Metric
    A couple of days ago Barry finally spoke about his departure from PokerStars on Joey Ingram's Poker Life Podcast. Seems like it's not as bad as we thought for Barry. I'm sure there's some slight exageration here, but what he had to say was at least interesting (and I hope true - for his sake)...

Cliffs:

- Yes, no longer with PokerStars

- Claims he regularly receives offers for "a couple hundred thousand" in poker deals / appearances (such making an appearance at Playground Poker Club in Montreal), but he cannot accept most of these because of the exclusivity of his PokerStars contract.

- Recently he was making "less than that" (the "couple hundred thousand" from PokerStars) - mostly for playing play money games on Sunday.

- Claims he only stayed w PokerStars in the last few years because he believed legalization in California was "one year away" for ongoing years. He assumed he would become PS's Hawaiian Gardens ambassador, for example, when it was finally legalized.

- The stark realization that online poker was not going to be legalized in CA for a long while, and the "exclusivity cost" of being with PokerStars seems to be behind him leaving. It's just not really clear who pulled the trigger: Barry or PokerStars. He alludes to it being a mutual decision...hmmm...

Personally I like Barry and wish him well and would like to see him make that "a couple hundred K" on these other projects.

GO TO 56:16 in the video:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't buy it.

Barry is absolutely miserable being stuck at 20-40 limit holdem at Commerce.

He looks like a broken man.

If he could continue getting $200k shipped to him per year for just playing Sunday tournaments on Stars, he would do it. Then, at the very least, he'd move up to the 60-120 game.

I doubt that Barry is getting many lucrative sponsorship offers in this day and age.

I think they either fired him or (more likely) severely cut his salary offer to where he decided it was better to strike out on his own.

Comments

Tellafriend: this

Load Metric
    Winner of the $555 freeroll

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel72 View Post

Discussion of Daniel leaving starts here: https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...l=1#post832064

Thread Information