Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kicking & screaming Julian Assange dragged out of Ecuadorian Embassy

Load Metric
    IMF approves $4.2bn loan for Ecuador

https://www.enca.com/business/imf-ap...n-loan-ecuador

(((prolly just a jooincidence)))

Comments

BCR: Well that makes sense. If that was a condition, then JA got the no vacancy sign.

Tellafriend: the more you know

Some background from a British perspective ...

It's very unlikely that Assange will be extradited to the US. The evidence against him is very tenuous (a cryptic comment supposedly encouraging Chelsea Manning) and it would be politically damaging to the government. Sticking him on the next plane to Sweden to face rape charges would have very little political fallout. It's wrong to say that the rape charges have been dropped. They had to be suspended under Swedish law because it became impossible to formally notify Assange about the case. The relevant statute of limitation means that he can be still be prosecuted (it expires next year). Best case scenario for the UK government is that the Swedes make an extradition request and, as he was originally arrested under an international arrest warrant stemming from the Swedish charges, that would take priority over the US.

Although the Ecuadorian embassy is in an expensive area of London (it's round the back of Harrods) it's very small, almost like a terrace house. They had to convert an office to a bedroom for Assange and he's apparently been a real dick: skateboarding inside, playing loud music and generally behaving like an angry teenager. The final straw was apparently a 'dirty protest' of smearing his own shit on the walls. The ambassador invited the Metropolitan police to come inside (normally they can't enter embassies) and arrest Assange, who hadn't been given any prior notification. The timing has nothing to do with May, Brexit, or Trump. The Ecuadorians just tired of his shenanigans.

Load Metric

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnFanningsLimpDick View Post
    Some background from a British perspective ...

It's very unlikely that Assange will be extradited to the US. The evidence against him is very tenuous (a cryptic comment supposedly encouraging Chelsea Manning) and it would be politically damaging to the government. Sticking him on the next plane to Sweden to face rape charges would have very little political fallout. It's wrong to say that the rape charges have been dropped. They had to be suspended under Swedish law because it became impossible to formally notify Assange about the case. The relevant statute of limitation means that he can be still be prosecuted (it expires next year). Best case scenario for the UK government is that the Swedes make an extradition request and, as he was originally arrested under an international arrest warrant stemming from the Swedish charges, that would take priority over the US.

Although the Ecuadorian embassy is in an expensive area of London (it's round the back of Harrods) it's very small, almost like a terrace house. They had to convert an office to a bedroom for Assange and he's apparently been a real dick: skateboarding inside, playing loud music and generally behaving like an angry teenager. The final straw was apparently a 'dirty protest' of smearing his own shit on the walls. The ambassador invited the Metropolitan police to come inside (normally they can't enter embassies) and arrest Assange, who hadn't been given any prior notification. The timing has nothing to do with May, Brexit, or Trump. The Ecuadorians just tired of his shenanigans.
    I'm glad you said apparently. Smearing his shit on the walls, I seriously doubt this happened.

This was a political decision by Ecuador. I'm sure the IMF money that was approved a month ago, was certainly a factor.

The writing has been on the wall for a while and Assange knew it was coming.

Sweden will go after him again I feel, just in case the US fails in its attempts to extradite. Sweden will hand him over to the US without fuss.

Load Metric
    Wondering what Trump’s position on this development is.

Name:  1A57495F-1470-40A8-B6C7-13E96258750C.jpeg
Views: 250
Size:  385.1 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

I'm glad you said apparently. Smearing his shit on the walls, I seriously doubt this happened.

This was a political decision by Ecuador. I'm sure the IMF money that was approved a month ago, was certainly a factor.

The writing has been on the wall for a while and Assange knew it was coming.

Sweden will go after him again I feel, just in case the US fails in its attempts to extradite. Sweden will hand him over to the US without fuss.
    Are you calling the Ecuadorian ambassador a liar?
    Ecuador’s UK Ambassador Jaime Marchan said: ‘When Assange wanted to be unpleasant he put excrement on the walls and underwear with excrement in the lavatory. We had to remind him to flush the toilet and clean the dishes. He had to be reminded of normal standards of behaviour all the time. He would always leave the cooker on.’
    The IMF couldn't give a flying fuck about Assange in their London embassy. There's a timing connection in that Ecuador got a new president a year ago and he's not rabidly anti-US like his predecessor and therefore far less sympathetic to Assange being there.

Comments

Salty_Aus: Smear campaign :)

Load Metric
    Are you calling the Ecuadorian ambassador a liar?
    Ecuador’s UK Ambassador Jaime Marchan said: ‘When Assange wanted to be unpleasant he put excrement on the walls and underwear with excrement in the lavatory. We had to remind him to flush the toilet and clean the dishes. He had to be reminded of normal standards of behaviour all the time. He would always leave the cooker on.’
    The IMF couldn't give a flying fuck about Assange in their London embassy. There's a timing connection in that Ecuador got a new president a year ago and he's not rabidly anti-US like his predecessor and therefore far less sympathetic to Assange being there.
    If you show me a link where he actually says that I will call him a liar. He did say something about hygiene and a cat though.
    Not some second hand nonsense that is likely to be tainted by the spin doctors.

Whatever Ecuador say is clearly an excuse.

The IMF is a fucking joke, another means to control poor countries. Especially South American countries and African.

Load Metric
    The original source of the shit on walls story appears to be Maria Paula Romo, the Interior Minister for Ecuador. And it appears that CNN were the first to run this story. (could be wrong as news sites are claiming at least half a dozen other sources)

I think it's hillarious that the shit on the wall story is being reported so heavily as one of the main reasons he was booted from his multi million dollar digs.

This "supposedly" happened over a year ago under the former regime. Yet there was no reports of this prior to Thursday. Surely such an infamous person like crazy man Assange shitting on embassy walls more then once, would have somehow leaked to the press when it originally happened?
    The British tabloids surely would have paid a security guard or cleaner handsomely for such a story.

I don't believe it. The story is so outrageous to me it's obviously a smear campaign.
    This is the way the spin doctors work from my experiences, make up a super fanciful story and the press will run with it... the more unusual or obscene the more willing people will believe it.

The former leader of Ecuador is outraged by the action of the new government and has been super critical of their actions... mainly in Ecuador.
    Makes more sense now if the Interior Minister is the actual source IMO.

Load Metric
    Personally I don't like Julian Assange. I think he's an arrogant prick who only reports on the questionable activities of countries that suit his agenda.

Even though I dislike him, he's obviously being railroaded for being truthful and exposing dirty secrets.

We live in a very dirty world my friends.

Load Metric
    he's obviously being railroaded for being truthful and exposing dirty secrets.

sorry, the difference between this and espionage is what exactly?

being a non-state actor has saved exactly no one from being held to the precept that theft and dissemination of classified data either directly or assisted facilitation is illegal.

people love to point at obama's pardon of manning but a) manning was exposing war crimes and b) she did 7 fucking years in a military prison.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    he's obviously being railroaded for being truthful and exposing dirty secrets.

being a non-state actor has saved exactly no one from being held to the precept that theft and dissemination of classified data either directly or assisted facilitation is illegal.

people love to point at obama's pardon of manning but a) manning was exposing war crimes and b) she did 7 fucking years in a military prison.
    Hiding illegal and dubious actions under the guise of classified or top secret data should be a crime.
    Exposing war crimes that have been classified is not a crime in my opinion.
    Releasing classified and top secret information is a domestic issue only. If you've not broken any laws in your own country it is NOT illegal.
    Manning broke the law, I have a small amount of compassion in regard to her. But the magority of the stuff she sent was not directly exposing crimes or inappropriate actions by your government.
    Snowden on the other hand should be given a medal.
    If espionage is illegal, may as well disband your CIA.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Hear! Hear!

If you show me a link where he actually says that I will call him a liar. He did say something about hygiene and a cat though.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-kick-out.html

The ambassdor gives a guided tour with photographs and direct quotes. Why do you refuse to believe that Assange is a cunt?

Load Metric

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-kick-out.html

The ambassdor gives a guided tour with photographs and direct quotes. Why do you refuse to believe that Assange is a cunt?
    I think he's an arrogant prick. And believe he might be a slob, but you guys should see my place sometime.

I don't believe the shit on walls stuff, especially considering it happened over a year ago.

Loved the bit how they threw out his cat because staff believed he put a camera on its collar to spy on him.

Load Metric

Hiding illegal and dubious actions under the guise of classified or top secret data should be a crime.
    Releasing classified and top secret information is a domestic issue only. If you've not broken any laws in your own country it is NOT illegal.
    Manning broke the law, I have a small amount of compassion in regard to her. But the magority of the stuff she sent was not directly exposing crimes or inappropriate actions by your government.

i mean, the law is the law. whistleblowing is a legal thing that when pursued correctly provides immunity. however it doesnt excuse leaking classified material or making it available to adversaries through covert or overt means. the law is very clear about that.

you can argue the moral compass for such activity, thats not a conversation i care to participate in honestly. the law however is unambiguous and unchallenged afaik.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

i mean, the law is the law. whistleblowing is a legal thing that when pursued correctly provides immunity. however it doesnt excuse leaking classified material or making it available to adversaries through covert or overt means. the law is very clear about that.

you can argue the moral compass for such activity, thats not a conversation i care to participate in honestly. the law however is unambiguous and unchallenged afaik.
    Hope you can do better then assisting Manning to break into a computer that she already had access too, after already sending hundreds of thousands of documents.

Manning has already said she did it by herself and there is no conclusive evidence to prove otherwise. Hence why she is back in prison.

Load Metric

Hope you can do better then assisting Manning to break into a computer that she already had access too, after already sending hundreds of thousands of documents.

Manning has already said she did it by herself and there is no conclusive evidence to prove otherwise. Hence why she is back in prison.

i completely agree, i dont see a lot of opportunities to rope assange into that unless he provided her tools/resources to exfiltrate the data. we shall see. would love to see who fireeye attributes tool authorship to in such a case... its also odd they would have manning under arrest for refusing to dime out her associates if there were none, of course..

Load Metric

Name:  1FA20948-92F9-4762-B139-ED3B9B9FB00F.jpeg
Views: 161
Size:  108.9 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    He’s a dirty rapey cunt, who cost the uk 13 million. Fuck him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric

this is circular reasoning. he’s in prison because he’s refusing to testify or provide info on what assange did. I.e., he’s refusing to provide the evidence you say doesn’t exist

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

this is circular reasoning. he’s in prison because he’s refusing to testify or provide info on what assange did. I.e., he’s refusing to provide the evidence you say doesn’t exist
    Manning refused to testify before a grand jury and is being held on contempt charges. Manning objects to the secrecy of these trials against Wikileaks, and further stated she has already told everything she knows.

Trying to extradite Assange for attempting to assist Manning to break into a computer that Manning already had access too is ridiculous.
    Perhaps even more ridiculous then trying to charge/extradite someone for rape because he was consensually fucking two different women at the same time, under some obscure law after the two women discovered he was consensually dicking them both and had a nice chat on the phone with each other... tampering with a condom is the crux of these rape allegations.

Load Metric

They kill/imprison CIA agents and informants all the time. I don't know if it's as common as it was during the cold war, but it's clearly still happening. Oh and governments don't do it to their own spies (that often at least). That's kinda how espionage works. US just didn't care enough about Assenge to have him assassinated. Anyways Spying is still frowned upon. Hiding in plain sight only keeps you safe for so long.

Thread Information