Page 94 of 223 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 4441

Thread: *** OFFICIAL 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination Race Thread ***

Load Metric
    Biden says 'yes' when asked about sacrificing blue-collar jobs for clean energy

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...gy-climate.amp

Former Vice President Joe Biden made clear at Thursday night’s Democratic presidential primary debate that he’d sacrifice economic growth due to a boom in oil and natural gas production and potentially risk displacing hundreds of thousands of blue-collar workers in order to combat climate change.

Moderator Tim Alberta asked: "Three consecutive American presidents have enjoyed stints of explosive economic growth due to a boom in oil and natural gas production. As president, would you be willing to sacrifice some of that growth, even knowing potentially that it could displace thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of blue-collar workers in the interest of transitioning to that greener economy?”

“The answer is yes,” the former vice president said.

But Biden -- the front-runner in national polling in the Democratic nomination race -- emphasized that “the opportunity for those workers to transition to high-paying jobs ... is real.”

“We’re the only country in the world that’s taken great, great crises and turned them into enormous opportunities,” Biden added.

The former vice president provided an example of how in moving to a green energy economy, new jobs would replace lost jobs.

“We shouldn’t build another new highway in America that doesn’t have charging stations on it. We have an opportunity to put 550,000 charging stations so that we own the electrical vehicle market, creating millions of jobs for people installing them, as well making sure that we own electric vehicle market,” Biden explained.

But he insisted that “we have to make sure we explain it to those people who are displaced that their skills are going to be needed for the new opportunities."

The pro-Republican America Rising PAC quickly picked up on Biden’s answer, comparing it to a line Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton made during the 2016 debates with then GOP nominee Donald Trump.

“The Biden line sounds familiar, doesn't it?,” wrote America Rising Press Secretary Joe Gierut.

He then highlighted Clinton’s line from 2016 when she said “we're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business.”

Biden -- along with every other Democratic presidential contender -- is calling for transforming the nation’s economy off fossil fuels and toward clean energy in order to dramatically lower carbon emissions. Their stances stand in sharp contrast with President Trump, a climate change skeptic who once called it a “hoax.” Trump emphasized earlier this year that America’s wealth is built on energy and that “I’m not going to lose it on dreams, on windmills.”
    The real answer is NO.

The President, Vice President, members of Congress, Senators, lobbyists and others receive millions of dollars in contributions, I mean bribe money from the oil and gas industry every year. It will never change unless these assholes can make even more money promoting something else.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    klobuchar impressed me a little bit
    Actually this was the debate where she lost her fake nice facade, and I could totally picture her throwing things at staffers.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In case you missed it, here is the debate. Starts about 30 minutes in:

.... and here is a mind-bogglingly bad version of it from Politico itself, with terrible audio:

How does Politico fuck up the audio of their own debate? They found a way.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It was very cute watching them try to deny that the economy is good right now.

All indicators show an extremely strong economy in tons of different ways, but listening to these candidates, it's all a facade, and everyone is struggling horribly. Did none of them learn that great economic numbers don't mean that every single person in the country is doing well at the moment? It's an average -- an overall indicator of the country's economic health, and there are so many ways it's strong that you can't even claim that just one segment of the population is benefiting.

I guess they have to take this line if they're going to have a shot against Trump next year.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

All indicators show an extremely strong economy in tons of different ways, but listening to these candidates, it's all a facade, and everyone is struggling horribly. Did none of them learn that great economic numbers don't mean that every single person in the country is doing well at the moment? It's an average -- an overall indicator of the country's economic health, and there are so many ways it's strong that you can't even claim that just one segment of the population is benefiting.

I guess they have to take this line if they're going to have a shot against Trump next year.
    You are right, actually - with one caveat. USA's economy is built to perform very well on the common indicators, instead of for actual people. That's why the economy can be great but there are rising poverty and inequality levels. We need to build a system which works on different indicators but its a long way away.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    i’ve religiously watched all the democratic debates and honestly this is the first time I feel as though a couple of the people on that stage tonight have a shot at beating Trump in 2020

whats funny is that the reasons they would beat trump are so sorry and so toxic.

like klob? klob would beat trump. not because she would make a president worth a shit but because she her defects are the most palatable to the oprah / view crowd.

Comments

devidee: Oh lawd....LULLLZZZZZZZ
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post

You are right, actually - with one caveat. USA's economy is built to perform very well on the common indicators, instead of for actual people. That's why the economy can be great but there are rising poverty and inequality levels. We need to build a system which works on different indicators but its a long way away.
    I agree with this a bit. The most important question to ask individual citizens about the economy is, financially do you feel you’re better off than you were 4 years ago? You’re going to find very few people that are worse off and the people that are on the up swing won’t want to vote for anything risky that might jeopardize that. All these stories the Dems recite of honest hard working people doing everything they can to make ends meet but just can’t catch a break are silly. I’m not saying these people don’t exist but its a very small percentage and not 90% of the country as they would like you to believe.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post

I agree with this a bit. The most important question to ask individual citizens about the economy is, financially do you feel you’re better off than you were 4 years ago? You’re going to find very few people that are worse off and the people that are on the up swing won’t want to vote for anything risky that might jeopardize that. All these stories the Dems recite of honest hard working people doing everything they can to make ends meet but just can’t catch a break are silly. I’m not saying these people don’t exist but its a very small percentage and not 90% of the country as they would like you to believe.
    ....and the one place where the productive class IS worse off is healthcare, which the Dems claimed to have fixed with Obamacare, when in reality, they took it off a cliff.

Load Metric
    Sanders +57
    Biden + 49
    Warren + 44
    Booker + 31
    Buttigieg + 30
    Yang + 27
    Klobuchar + 21
    Castro + 17
    Steyer + 15
    Bloomberg + 14
    Bennet + 10
    Patrick + 4
    Delaney + 4
    -----------
    GABBARD - 1
    Williamson - 4

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Klob clearly a big winner from the debate. She did exactly what she needed to do, and even got the second most speaking time at the debate. But it's sort of like when a penny stock goes up 20%. It doesn't necessarily mean much. She's sort of sitting on the bench waiting to be subbed in, in case Biden has a heart attack or something. Pete had a rough night. She could definitely steal support away from Pete. Data shows they have a lot of cross-over supporters. I'll be curious to see what the ratings were for the debate. So close to Christmas it might get low ratings, but I think most people just watch the highlights the next day.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...=story-twitter
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by SPIT this; 12-20-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Sanders +57
    Biden + 49
    Warren + 44
    Booker + 31
    Buttigieg + 30
    Yang + 27
    Klobuchar + 21
    Castro + 17
    Steyer + 15
    Bloomberg + 14
    Bennet + 10
    Patrick + 4
    Delaney + 4
    -----------
    GABBARD - 1
    Williamson - 4
    I want to apologize for calling Tulsi the most hated candidate. I totally forgot about Williamson. Though honestly I wish we kept her around longer as a joke. I guess we're wary of 2016 and what can happen with a joke candidate.

Load Metric
    Regarding the latest Dem candidate debate: CNBC doesn’t bring good news for Camp Biden:

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Klobuchar did seem the most reasonable on that stage, but I usually end up thinking that, because she's one of the moderates, and she's not old and stumbly like Biden.

Obviously she's not going anywhere, though. Just hanging around for as long as possible, kind of like Yang,

It's about time that Mayor Pete absorbs some attacks, because he got to skate through unchallenged for a long time. I know he got clobbered about the wine cave thing, but honestly the line of attack against him was stupid. He made a good point that Trump is raising so much money, this isn't the time to start blowing up fundraising procedures in order to look more moral or equal access. You need to find a way to match him, or you're going to be at a big disadvantage. What he should have said further was that he would support major campaign finance reform for 2024, but as the rules stand now, they have to work within the existing system to raise the most money to beat Trump.

The whole Warren "I'm taking free selfies" thing is such phony bullshit, just like her. It was so tilting to hear her brag about that. That's just her particular campaign strategy, hoping the selfies make it all over the internet, giving her both free advertising and making her seem accessible and down-to-earth. Free selfies aren't charity So dumb.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In case any of you are wondering, Master Scalir is a huge Bernie supporter.

Load Metric

#freeshit

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Klobuchar did seem the most reasonable on that stage, but I usually end up thinking that, because she's one of the moderates, and she's not old and stumbly like Biden.

Obviously she's not going anywhere, though. Just hanging around for as long as possible, kind of like Yang,

It's about time that Mayor Pete absorbs some attacks, because he got to skate through unchallenged for a long time. I know he got clobbered about the wine cave thing, but honestly the line of attack against him was stupid. He made a good point that Trump is raising so much money, this isn't the time to start blowing up fundraising procedures in order to look more moral or equal access. You need to find a way to match him, or you're going to be at a big disadvantage. What he should have said further was that he would support major campaign finance reform for 2024, but as the rules stand now, they have to work within the existing system to raise the most money to beat Trump.

The whole Warren "I'm taking free selfies" thing is such phony bullshit, just like her. It was so tilting to hear her brag about that. That's just her particular campaign strategy, hoping the selfies make it all over the internet, giving her both free advertising and making her seem accessible and down-to-earth. Free selfies aren't charity So dumb.
    For the life of me I can’t understand people that support Warren. If your views line up with what she’s saying why wouldn’t you support Bernie instead? It’s someone that’s genuine compared to someone that’s full of shit. Why pick the one that’s full of shit?

Comments

Sanlmar: on point

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

For the life of me I can’t understand people that support Warren. If your views line up with what she’s saying why wouldn’t you support Bernie instead? It’s someone that’s genuine compared to someone that’s full of shit. Why pick the one that’s full of shit?

temperament plus warren can play nice across the aisle still, shes a politician. bernie's getting a bit long in the tooth as well, heart attack and all. in the end warren is just more stable and scares the shit out of people less.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this

Load Metric
    Has he heard of Yang? Scalir's in no position to be passing on a grand a month

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Tulsi just introduced legislation to investigate the corruption that has been going on now for almost 20 years during the Afghanistan war.

Putin prolly put her up to it, bro.

Thread Information