Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 4441

Thread: *** OFFICIAL 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination Race Thread ***

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Joe Biden Predicts Next President ‘Likely to Inherit a Recession’

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/joe-b...t-a-recession/

maybe it's just me but this seems like an absolutely hideous strategy to take when up against a president with a booming economy.

trump's campaign message: "record breaking economy, which will keep going if i'm re-elected."

biden's message: "we're fucked and i can't save us."

i just can't with this guy.
    bidens message, which is accurate, is that the 'economy' is being propped up by debt the likes of which we have never experienced before. its the literal definition of a bubble. the metrics at bar for 'booming' have exactly zero impact on 98% of the nations lives.

people have to hold down several jobs to make ends meet.

'gig economy'.

health care is horror show. people are doing gofundme's to get teeth extracted.

we are less educated than ever and cant compete with foreign workers.

the list goes on. the 'economy' is like marveling how shiny the rails are on the titanic.

and joe's right.

shit this is probably why we are throwing up lames for this election cycle.
    You're treating this economy like the actual two bubbles we had in modern times (the 1995-2000 tech/dotcom boom and the 2003-2007 housing boom), where it was 100% clear to anyone with a brain that it was artificial, and that a big crash was coming at some point.

The economy this time around isn't largely driven up by a single overvalued industry, thus your "Titanic" comparison doesn't apply. Much of what you wrote above is either untrue, or misleading.

Healthcare is a horror show, but it is the culmination of a lot of factors which have existed for decades, and is not the fault of any one party or Administration. Plus, all of the plans that Democrats have for it (aside from Biden, who seems to want to do nothing) will just make it worse.

The gig economy is difficult to prevent without local or state ordinances regulating it. This isn't something that can really be handled at the federal level. It's a (flawed) form of temporary employment which has popped up recently because of the recent availability of apps enabling it.

We are not less educated, and we aren't failing to compete with foreign workers from a skill standpoint. We are failing from to compete only from an economic standpoint, when third-world workers are willing to do the same job for much less via outsourcing. But that's not a matter of education.

People "holding down several jobs to make ends meet" has been long exaggerated, and much of it is a result of poor money management skills. I actually know several people in my personal life who fit this description (not poker players), and these people otherwise seem very functional and normal in the rest of their lives. But when it comes to managing their money, they're a trainwreck, and then I inevitably hear them complain about how unfair life is when they find themselves broke. I don't bother to get involved, and just nod my head. Aside from the poorest segment of the population, the basic standard of living in the US is actually the best it's ever been.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Joe Biden Predicts Next President ‘Likely to Inherit a Recession’

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/joe-b...t-a-recession/

maybe it's just me but this seems like an absolutely hideous strategy to take when up against a president with a booming economy.

trump's campaign message: "record breaking economy, which will keep going if i'm re-elected."

biden's message: "we're fucked and i can't save us."

i just can't with this guy.
    bidens message, which is accurate, is that the 'economy' is being propped up by debt the likes of which we have never experienced before. its the literal definition of a bubble. the metrics at bar for 'booming' have exactly zero impact on 98% of the nations lives.

'gig economy'.

the list goes on. the 'economy' is like marveling how shiny the rails are on the titanic.

and joe's right.

You are right here, but this can't be laid at Trump's feet anymore than any of his predecessors. More culpable is the House. Those folks are only worried about getting reelected.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

'gig economy'.

and joe's right.

You are right here, but this can't be laid at Trump's feet anymore than any of his predecessors. More culpable is the House. Those folks are only worried about getting reelected.

right like the time they sent their personal lawyers to the ukraine to fabricate evidence against the heir apparent to the oval and used congressional aid as the leverage. but naturally fucked it all up because they are no better at blackmail and extortion as they are about balancing the economy.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

'gig economy'.

and joe's right.

You're treating this economy like the actual two bubbles we had in modern times (the 1995-2000 tech/dotcom boom and the 2003-2007 housing boom), where it was 100% clear to anyone with a brain that it was artificial, and that a big crash was coming at some point.

The economy this time around isn't largely driven up by a single overvalued industry, thus your "Titanic" comparison doesn't apply. Much of what you wrote above is either untrue, or misleading.

Healthcare is a horror show, but it is the culmination of a lot of factors which have existed for decades, and is not the fault of any one party or Administration. Plus, all of the plans that Democrats have for it (aside from Biden, who seems to want to do nothing) will just make it worse.

The gig economy is difficult to prevent without local or state ordinances regulating it. This isn't something that can really be handled at the federal level. It's a (flawed) form of temporary employment which has popped up recently because of the recent availability of apps enabling it.

We are not less educated, and we aren't failing to compete with foreign workers from a skill standpoint. We are failing from to compete only from an economic standpoint, when third-world workers are willing to do the same job for much less via outsourcing. But that's not a matter of education.

People "holding down several jobs to make ends meet" has been long exaggerated, and much of it is a result of poor money management skills. I actually know several people in my personal life who fit this description (not poker players), and these people otherwise seem very functional and normal in the rest of their lives. But when it comes to managing their money, they're a trainwreck, and then I inevitably hear them complain about how unfair life is when they find themselves broke. I don't bother to get involved, and just nod my head. Aside from the poorest segment of the population, the basic standard of living in the US is actually the best it's ever been.
    The jury only recessed long enough to take a pee. We rule in favor of Sonatine unanimously. No one is more shocked than myself.

This is a bubble of QE, cheap speculative money funding idiotic venture.

Just look to declining autos and manufacturing sales .. layoffs etc to see just how weak we really are in real terms. We can argue this point .....

....or you can just wait for the further easing which is inevitably coming as proof he’s right.

Except Tesla.... that’s real.

Comments

sonatine: FUCK YEAH ELON

MumblesBadly: Freight rates have fallen most of the year. Not a good sign for the economy.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 12-06-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Load Metric
    When a man using his own car is willing to deliver a fast food hamburger to my front door ....

....that this is even a business model

... yeah, I’m pretty sure Sonatine is right

I know your not going to tip the guy. That’s not the point. Think about the myriad of things happening in the economy that makes this a worthwhile enterprise

Now I have to reconcile what just happened that has me and tine on the same side of reality.

I’m gonna need a moment

Comments

OSA: i know your not going to tip the guy LOL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

I thought he had a Harvard law degree... Yale graduate my bad.

He was on the board of Amtrak. Might have even been the chairman for a while. Saying he had no gas experience makes him not qualified is not true.

Burisma did create a high profile board and tried to appear to care about governance.
    Were Burisma trying to curry favor?... probably.
    They is Russians, so more then likely they were at least hoping it might shield them.

The list of children of politicians getting cruisy jobs and enriched is very long. Kinda hypocritical to take this position.
    Furthermore, there is zero proof he did anything wrong.

This is just dense gibberish. oh, and Gwb has an ivy league degree too. Stick to what you have a better grip on, Kangaroos and shit.
    After sitting on the Amtrak board, he was probably overqualified to take a senior legal counsel type board position with Burisma.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    When a man using his own car is willing to deliver a fast food hamburger to my front door ....

I know your not going to tip the guy. That’s not the point. Think about the myriad of things happening in the economy that makes this a worthwhile enterprise

Now I have to reconcile what just happened that has me and tine on the same side of reality.

I’m gonna need a moment

dont overlook what this does to the housing market. or will soon do.

boomers die, leaving houses in every desirable neighborhood, and the percent of people in each generation of people who would normally buy them becomes smaller and smaller.

something interesting i read about; during the CDO collapse, the problems for the economy caused by the implosion started to fuck people up long before the implosion happened. it was super dramatic because the least qualified people had credit, but all you need is a certain tipping point of prospective homeowners getting shut out of the market to set off a meltdown.

and since the peoples republic of gooftardia revoked dodd frank etc, who the fuck knows how exposed they are..

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I’m gonna need a moment
    This is less complicated than you think.

In the past you'd sit at home and think, "I'd really like a hamburger from Joe's Burger 3 miles away, but I don't feel like turning off the Celtics game and getting in my car to go pick it up. Too bad Joe's doesn't deliver."

Now Joe's doesn't need to have a constant delivery demand in order to contract with a service which delivers for them.

And John Smith, who has a vehicle but not a lot of decent job prospects, would rather drive burgers and other food items around town for different restaurants if it means he can be his own boss, select his own hours, and still pull down about the same money after tips as he would at a rigid, repetitive, soul-crushing service job.

This all seems like a win-win-win for all involved, until you start to consider the various possible downsides to a lot of this -- the lack of accountability/consistency of service, the dead-end subsistence type living, the unsustainable business structure of the parent gig company -- to where we haven't really found the magic bullet we think we've found.

But this was all inevitable with the growth of app-based convenience services we've seen this decade. It's not a referendum on the economy. It's simply a new form of business and temporary employment trying itself out. Time will tell what eventually happens.

On a side note, I don't use any of this crap. I like doing things for myself. I'll pick up my own food, drive myself places, and run my own errands. But I do see the appeal if you're one who values convenience over control.

Load Metric

This is just dense gibberish. oh, and Gwb has an ivy league degree too. Stick to what you have a better grip on, Kangaroos and shit.
    After sitting on the Amtrak board, he was probably overqualified to take a senior legal counsel type board position with Burisma.

senior legal counsel for a Ukrainian energy company? how laughable. you are talking out of ass, as usual. give it a break.

Load Metric

senior legal counsel for a Ukrainian energy company? how laughable. you are talking out of ass, as usual. give it a break.
    If you're going to attempt to discredit someone for impropriety, at least be factual and honest from the start.

Stop the fucking drivel that he was not qualified for the position.

He has a Yale degree and was on the board of Amtrak, and he was vice chairman for a period as part of this board position.
    This makes him overqualified for a board seat on a much smaller Ukranian gas company.

Ohhh but gas company... he has no experience with gas is all you can fucking say.
    You then use this fanciful reason as the basis to IMPLY impropriety and present no factual evidence.

You're preaching to the converted in regard to nepotism and cronyism.

In before you make some half-assed abusive comment that totally ignores the facts so fuck off cunt.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

If you're going to attempt to discredit someone for impropriety, at least be factual and honest from the start.

He has a Yale degree and was on the board of Amtrak, and he was vice chairman for a period as part of this board position.
    This makes him overqualified for a board seat on a much smaller Ukranian gas company.

Ohhh but gas company... he has no experience with gas is all you can fucking say.
    You then use this fanciful reason as the basis to IMPLY impropriety and present no factual evidence.

In before you make some half-assed abusive comment that totally ignores the facts so fuck off cunt.
    Do you think he would have gotten the job if he weren't related to anyone important?

Load Metric

You mad brah?

Load Metric

Do you think he would have gotten the job if he weren't related to anyone important?
    In my opinion he got the job because of who his daddy is.

I've been very clear on this.

Saying he was not qualified is not true. But to use this "no experience" nonsense as proof he must be in cahoots with criminals is ridiculous.

Load Metric

You mad brah?
    Not at all. I'll happily call out a dishonest cunt when I'm in a very jovial mood.

If anything I probably enjoy it too much, but I'm sure you understand.

Load Metric

I’m gonna need a moment
    This is less complicated than you think.

In the past you'd sit at home and think, "I'd really like a hamburger from Joe's Burger 3 miles away, but I don't feel like turning off the Celtics game and getting in my car to go pick it up. Too bad Joe's doesn't deliver."

Now Joe's doesn't need to have a constant delivery demand in order to contract with a service which delivers for them.

And John Smith, who has a vehicle but not a lot of decent job prospects, would rather drive burgers and other food items around town for different restaurants if it means he can be his own boss, select his own hours, and still pull down about the same money after tips as he would at a rigid, repetitive, soul-crushing service job.

This all seems like a win-win-win for all involved, until you start to consider the various possible downsides to a lot of this -- the lack of accountability/consistency of service, the dead-end subsistence type living, the unsustainable business structure of the parent gig company -- to where we haven't really found the magic bullet we think we've found.

But this was all inevitable with the growth of app-based convenience services we've seen this decade. It's not a referendum on the economy. It's simply a new form of business and temporary employment trying itself out. Time will tell what eventually happens.
    It it is a referendum of our economy. It has been described, in fact, as “foodoo economics” (a play on voodoo economics)

Most startups lose platefuls of money. Yet they have received more than $30bn from spellbound venture capitalists in the past five years. And they are likely to get more.
    This kind of chasing and speculations only occurs when money is cheap (Giant Pool of Money) and needs a place to go.

Yet as with ride-hailing, it is by no means clear if anyone can make money by delivering meals. In fact, the economics may be even worse.
    It’s a subsidized business presently. The hamburger chains are gonna use their enormous clout to control the split between themselves, the driver, and the operator. The driver using cheap gas and no commercial auto insurance and who discounts the true operating costs of a vehicle.

My Zappos kid does the app for an Open Table-like startup in NYC now. The kids all know it’s a bubble. Bank like a NFL wide receiver with a limited 5 year career and parachute.

The foodoo economics of meal delivery
    The Economist
    https://www.economist.com/business/2...-meal-delivery

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar
    It it is a referendum of our economy. It has been described, in fact, as “foodoo economics” (a play on voodoo economics)

Most startups lose platefuls of money. Yet they have received more than $30bn from spellbound venture capitalists in the past five years. And they are likely to get more.
    This kind of chasing and speculations only occurs when money is cheap (Giant Pool of Money) and needs a place to go.

Yet as with ride-hailing, it is by no means clear if anyone can make money by delivering meals. In fact, the economics may be even worse.
    It’s a subsidized business presently. The hamburger chains are gonna use their enormous clout to control the split between themselves, the driver, and the operator. The driver using cheap gas and no commercial auto insurance and who discounts the true operating costs of a vehicle.

My Zappos kid does the app for an Open Table-like startup in NYC now. The kids all know it’s a bubble. Bank like a NFL wide receiver with a limited 5 year career and parachute.

The foodoo economics of meal delivery
    The Economist
    https://www.economist.com/business/2...-meal-delivery

I don't disagree that these delivery services and ride-hailing services probably don't have longevity. As I said in my previous posts about the matter, they have a lot of problems, and aren't the magic bullet of gig jobs and convenience that many think they are.

But it's still not a referendum on the economy. The people who decide to drive for these services weigh their options, and despite being able to find employment, they find the driving gigs to be more flexible and more pleasant.

If the money was approximately the same, would you rather work some low-end service or office job with rigid hours, boring repetition, and a difficult boss, or a delivery job where you set your own hours and answer to nobody?

The obvious choice is obvious. I know various people who drive for Uber/Lyft or do these food deliveries. Some are supplementing their income when they have free time. Some have used it to replace their former crappy job.

If these drivers were mainly former professionals who took it out of unemployed desperation, THAT would be a referendum on our economy. Instead, these are mostly people who voluntarily chose a different path. It's not too different than my choice to leave the software industry in 2003, and to play poker instead. I decided I preferred the flexibility and the freedom. It wasn't a referendum on anything besides my personal choice. Same thing here.

There just isn't a case to be made right now against the economy under Trump. You can't point to temporary fads in gig employment and claim that it's indicative of a huge problem which has yet to show itself.

If these delivery/ride companies do go under, it won't devastate the economy like the 2001 dotcom crash or the 2008 housing crash. You'll just have a bunch of people returning to the regular workforce who had previously left it.

Load Metric
    we might have to start taking bloomberg seriously folks.

like... *seriously* seriously.

Load Metric

Saying he was not qualified is not true. But to use this "no experience" nonsense as proof he must be in cahoots with criminals is ridiculous.

You mad brah?
    Not at all. I'll happily call out a dishonest cunt when I'm in a very jovial mood.

Nah, you are just another ignorant foreigner feigning intelligence to make himself feel better about his life. Your purported rationale gives your stupidity away, but you are too dense to recognize it and instead resorts to crude expletives and name-calling.

Comments

Salty_Aus: The frequency with which you call someone stupid or ignorant, is disproportionate to a cunt of your stature.

Load Metric

You mad brah?

Nah, you are just another ignorant foreigner feigning intelligence to make himself feel better about his life. Your purported rationale gives your stupidity away, but you are too dense to recognize it and instead resorts to crude expletives and name-calling.
    The funny thing is this is EXACTLY what you do if you disagree with someone. You ignore every point they make and make childish insults when your position is untenable, no matter if they're being polite.

All good, I'm comfortable being a bad person... and I like calling you cunt.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Tellatard is well versed in the art of psychological projection.

Load Metric
    Ugh you were right sonatine, Tulsi is totally "Trump with tits," and she proved it today - https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1203691049794899969

She never publicly disagrees with him or challenges him on anything!

Name:  EHk8iu_WsAMc5G9.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  396.7 KB

Thread Information