Page 75 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1651

Thread: *** OFFICIAL 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination Race Thread ***

  1. #1481
    No mention of Steve Bullock or Joe Sestak dropping out? Not even a Trump tweet? Sad! We're down to 16 candidates, folks. What the fuck is Castro waiting for. Booker gonna drop out first at this rate.

  2. #1482
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Yeah but imagine a country where people even give a shit about education and healthcare instead of literally building walls around it and codifying institutional racism and evangelism into the fabric of government.

    No one and I mean absolutely no one is going to have the tools to accomplish anything in government in our lifetimes, so its up to us to choose the most noble, inspiring dreams to pursue.
    What? There isn’t an American citizen that doesn’t value education or health care.

    We just happen to feel policing the world is more important.

    The CBO estimated that of the $2.4 trillion long-term price tag for the war, about $1.9 trillion of that would be spent on Iraq, or $6,300 per US citizen.
    Nothing angers me more about our country.

    The noble dream is voiced by Tulsi. Which is strange cause the Truman Doctrine was a a Democrat invention. Right some wrongs.

    I completely agree we won’t see a change in our lifetimes.

  3. #1483
    Gold duped_samaritan's Avatar
    Reputation
    424
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    You speak of institutional racism. Can you name a better time for a black person to be alive in the US than the present?
    Well, it's been ~250 years.

    They were slaves for ~100 years

    Then they were broke, uneducated, had very few rights and treated like shit by most White people for the next ~80 years?

    Then they started to get organized and demand to be treated equally during the civil rights movement 10 or 20 years before you were born.

    And you think there is no institutional racism because things have never been better? It's only been a couple generations since the process began of trying to treat Black people equal. There's a long way to go, imo.

     
    Comments
      
      MumblesBadly: Druff enjoys his assimilation. So he is willfully blind to the remaining institutional racism.

  4. #1484
    I saw this story today

    Veterans' business uses profits to support education for Afghan girls
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/combat-...ls-2019-12-02/

    The mission was to make sturdy military-themed flip flops and footwear and use the profits to support education for Afghan girls. They call the company Combat Flip Flops.
    The illiteracy rate is 85%. Educate the women and they will likely educate their children. An educated population is less likely to be radicalized.

    It’s seems a better idea than bombing the population into the Middle Ages and walking away. It sure as shit hasn’t worked for 40 years.

    I have given up on most issues but the endless fruitless war still gets me fired up.

    There is only so much tax payer money Sonatine. Most of the debate is fucking noise to my ears.

     
    Comments
      
      duped_samaritan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qtOVQUivo

  5. #1485
    Holy shit duped_ .



    People rarely impress me and I have such a bias against anything military but these guys are heroes.

  6. #1486
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I saw this story today

    Veterans' business uses profits to support education for Afghan girls
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/combat-...ls-2019-12-02/

    The mission was to make sturdy military-themed flip flops and footwear and use the profits to support education for Afghan girls. They call the company Combat Flip Flops.
    The illiteracy rate is 85%. Educate the women and they will likely educate their children. An educated population is less likely to be radicalized.

    It’s seems a better idea than bombing the population into the Middle Ages and walking away. It sure as shit hasn’t worked for 40 years.

    I have given up on most issues but the endless fruitless war still gets me fired up.

    There is only so much tax payer money Sonatine. Most of the debate is fucking noise to my ears.

    If that was the case, rockets wouldn't be fired into Israel on a regular basis or are you saying that no one wants to "educate" the Palestinians
    It is in my bones which sucks so can make it hard to move sometimes. Trying to spend as much time with friends and family.

  7. #1487
    We have a new TV leader. Yang actually had a decent flood of ads in November (tho nothing compared to Bloomberg/Steyer). I personally like Bloomberg, but this is a colossal waste of money.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #1488
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4688
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,883
    Blog Entries
    2
    Someone needed to take Bloomberg aside and tell him that it's too late to enter, even in a field as weak as this.

    Times have changed. Everyone follows this shit a lot more closely than they used to, and there's just so much public discussion back and forth on both social media and cable news.

    By late in the year before the election, most people have come close enough to making up their minds that they don't want to process some new entry into the race. This is why the "a new leader might spring up at any point" argument simply doesn't hold water.

    It remains a race between the Big 4 (Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg), and honestly Biden is looking better than ever, because he's the only one with a realistic path to the nomination right now.

  9. #1489
    Silver
    Reputation
    53
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    You speak of institutional racism. Can you name a better time for a black person to be alive in the US than the present?
    Well, it's been ~250 years.

    They were slaves for ~100 years

    Then they were broke, uneducated, had very few rights and treated like shit by most White people for the next ~80 years?

    Then they started to get organized and demand to be treated equally during the civil rights movement 10 or 20 years before you were born.

    And you think there is no institutional racism because things have never been better? It's only been a couple generations since the process began of trying to treat Black people equal. There's a long way to go, imo.
    Slavery in this country was a shitty shitty thing but hopefully time will eventually heal those wounds. Bernie Sanders sure the hell wont speed up the process.

    Just curious, do you only hold white people accountable for slavery in America or do you also hold the black slave owners from Africa accountable that sold their slaves to white people (you seem to have left those years of oppression off your list). The broke, uneducated with no rights goes back much further than 250 years.

  10. #1490
    Gold duped_samaritan's Avatar
    Reputation
    424
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

    Well, it's been ~250 years.

    They were slaves for ~100 years

    Then they were broke, uneducated, had very few rights and treated like shit by most White people for the next ~80 years?

    Then they started to get organized and demand to be treated equally during the civil rights movement 10 or 20 years before you were born.

    And you think there is no institutional racism because things have never been better? It's only been a couple generations since the process began of trying to treat Black people equal. There's a long way to go, imo.
    Slavery in this country was a shitty shitty thing but hopefully time will eventually heal those wounds. Bernie Sanders sure the hell wont speed up the process.

    Just curious, do you only hold white people accountable for slavery in America or do you also hold the black slave owners from Africa accountable that sold their slaves to white people (you seem to have left those years of oppression off your list). The broke, uneducated with no rights goes back much further than 250 years.
    I don't know much about the Atlantic Slave trade, although that seems like an interesting wiki-rabbit-hole, and at this point I really don't think it's about holding anyone 'accountable' for slavery since they are all dead.

    I know the broke, uneducated with no rights goes back pretty much forever. And we've probably made more progress in the last 50 years than ever? But I still think comments like Druffs are pretty gross. Focusing more on the 'SJWS' without ever really criticizing actual racism/sexism.

    It's like he thinks the world is getting less racist/sexist/anti-lgbtq too fast.

  11. #1491
    Newest Democratic Poll


  12. #1492
    Nova Scotia's REAL #1 Webcam DJ sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    5455
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    What? There isnít an American citizen that doesnít value education or health care.

    We just happen to feel policing the world is more important.

    The CBO estimated that of the $2.4 trillion long-term price tag for the war, about $1.9 trillion of that would be spent on Iraq, or $6,300 per US citizen.
    Nothing angers me more about our country.

    The noble dream is voiced by Tulsi. Which is strange cause the Truman Doctrine was a a Democrat invention. Right some wrongs.

    I completely agree we wonít see a change in our lifetimes.

    dismantling the cia and expecting diplomacy (without the cia's intelligence apparently) to get the resources we need to survive sounds about as noble as treating cancer with essential oils.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  13. #1493
    Nova Scotia's REAL #1 Webcam DJ sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    5455
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23,956
    shout out to complaining about tax payer money being a precious thing when the reason it costs thousands of dollars to fix a broken arm is because we let an entire industry be created by lobbyists to make it cost as much as possible.

    bernie wants to fix the things that are keeping this place from operating like a sane democracy. its the naked face of nobility. its throwing the money lenders out of the temple caliber nobility.


    fuck outta here boomer.

     
    Comments
      
      MumblesBadly: Nice post, except they were money *changers*, not “lenders”.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  14. #1494
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4688
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,883
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    You speak of institutional racism. Can you name a better time for a black person to be alive in the US than the present?
    Well, it's been ~250 years.

    They were slaves for ~100 years

    Then they were broke, uneducated, had very few rights and treated like shit by most White people for the next ~80 years?

    Then they started to get organized and demand to be treated equally during the civil rights movement 10 or 20 years before you were born.

    And you think there is no institutional racism because things have never been better? It's only been a couple generations since the process began of trying to treat Black people equal. There's a long way to go, imo.
    I didn't say that the work to eliminate racism is done, but the way the left would have you believe, Trump's Presidency has been all about white supremacy and institutionalized racism.

    Which it isn't at all, even if some idiot white supremacists suddenly feel more empowered to speak up.

    Is there still racism in this country? Yes.

    Is racism the only major factor contributing to the struggles of black men in America? No.

    There is a legitimate cultural issue in the black community where a lot of destructive behavior occurs, which isn't the fault of racism. While the solution to this is incredibly complicated and not a matter of a simple policy change, a good start would be the removal of the bad apples from poor black neighborhoods. Remove the worst elements, and some of the not-so-good elements will often revert back to normal, once free from the influence from the worst offenders. I've even seen this occur in workplace environments (not related to black people, but in general).

    I feel that's the most impactful solution to lifting impoverished black communities out of where they are today. Many are being terrorized by violent elements which are holding back progress, ruining schools, and brainwashing kids down the wrong path.

    Unfortunately, this solution isn't popular at all with the left, who is all about keeping prison sentences short and rehabilitating every single human being. While that idealistic approach fails, the entire black community suffers. Democrats don't care that much, because they still get the black vote anyway.

  15. #1495
    Gold MrTickle's Avatar
    Reputation
    357
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    You speak of institutional racism. Can you name a better time for a black person to be alive in the US than the present?
    I want you to post this on twitter and see the replies you get.

    This is a ridiculous statement. Basically the same as saying "Yeah everything might not be so fair, but at least we aren't lynching you anymore!"

  16. #1496
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Someone needed to take Bloomberg aside and tell him that it's too late to enter, even in a field as weak as this.

    Times have changed. Everyone follows this shit a lot more closely than they used to, and there's just so much public discussion back and forth on both social media and cable news.

    By late in the year before the election, most people have come close enough to making up their minds that they don't want to process some new entry into the race. This is why the "a new leader might spring up at any point" argument simply doesn't hold water.

    It remains a race between the Big 4 (Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg), and honestly Biden is looking better than ever, because he's the only one with a realistic path to the nomination right now.
    Druff, who do you think is the second most likely to get the nom? I could see an argument for all 3.

  17. #1497
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4688
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,883
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    shout out to complaining about tax payer money being a precious thing when the reason it costs thousands of dollars to fix a broken arm is because we let an entire industry be created by lobbyists to make it cost as much as possible.

    bernie wants to fix the things that are keeping this place from operating like a sane democracy. its the naked face of nobility. its throwing the money lenders out of the temple caliber nobility.


    fuck outta here boomer.
    You're actually correct that a lot of the high healthcare costs in the US are because of lobbyists.

    However, socialized medicine, including Bernie's plan, doesn't fix that. It just shifts the bill to the government and leaves Medicare in charge of rates. Guess what has been notoriously susceptible to corruption via lobbying? Yep, Medicare rates.

    The US healthcare system's high cost is often erroneously blamed on "capitalism", but in reality it's not a free market system at all. Almost all doctors and healthcare providers are slaves to the negotiated rates of insurance companies, which in turn are largely based upon the government-set rates for Medicare. This leaves us with the unfair and unmotivating situation where the worst doctor in town gets paid the exact same amount of money for the exact same procedure as the best doctor in town. And that's a problem. There is little incentive to provide good care -- only to see as many patients as possible, do the most expensive stuff, and hire billing experts to creatively charge it in the most expensive way possible.

    That's not free market whatsoever.

    That's one of many things which needs to be fixed, and unfortunately even Bernie's plan doesn't address it.

  18. #1498
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    shout out to complaining about tax payer money being a precious thing when the reason it costs thousands of dollars to fix a broken arm is because we let an entire industry be created by lobbyists to make it cost as much as possible.

    bernie wants to fix the things that are keeping this place from operating like a sane democracy. its the naked face of nobility. its throwing the money lenders out of the temple caliber nobility.


    fuck outta here boomer.
    this may seem counterintuitive but bernie getting in office would be more likely to set the goal of socialized medicine back than a joe biden-type winning

    the midterms are always a vote against the current president. the more scared voters are, the bigger the turnout. if bernie was to win, the fear levels would be off the charts and the red wave would be the biggest we've ever seen. this is a candidate campaigning on raising your taxes, taking away your health insurance and letting the government handle that. that will go over well in swing and red districts.

  19. #1499
    Every wedding has one or two losers who don't know the Team Pete dance by heart. A+ by everyone else


  20. #1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    What? There isn’t an American citizen that doesn’t value education or health care.

    We just happen to feel policing the world is more important.



    Nothing angers me more about our country.

    The noble dream is voiced by Tulsi. Which is strange cause the Truman Doctrine was a a Democrat invention. Right some wrongs.

    I completely agree we won’t see a change in our lifetimes.

    dismantling the cia and expecting diplomacy (without the cia's intelligence apparently) to get the resources we need to survive sounds about as noble as treating cancer with essential oils.

    you're really going to town on these strawman arguments lately. it's just bizarre that, as a diehard liberal, tulsi's anti-war stance is the thing you're fixated on and seem to hate the most. it's also weird cause bernie and tulsi seem to be besties. the dnc hates tulsi for endorsing bernie in 2016.

    please also understand that bernie is campaigning on raising your taxes and forcing medicare for all on everyone. just let the government run your healthcare.

    how does that win in a general election again? tell me how someone who already has health insurance -- like everyone you know -- says yeah, sign me up for that?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 6 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Give me the lowdown on the presidential race
    By Sloppy Joe in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-02-2019, 01:45 PM
  2. My nomination for world's greatest MILF
    By CrackPipes and Kakfights in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2017, 05:16 PM
  3. Replies: 435
    Last Post: 11-05-2016, 08:45 AM
  4. Replies: 59
    Last Post: 04-21-2016, 01:57 PM
  5. CNN Democratic Debate Poll Thread
    By Tyde in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-15-2016, 12:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •