Page 40 of 223 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination Race Thread ***

Load Metric
    That's a pretty bold move going after doctors on todgers site I HAPPEN TO LOVE DOCTORS AND THEIR RELATED FAMILIES

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    A 39% capital gains rate would discourage new investments in the stock market and more importantly, discourage movement of capital within the marketplace. Let’s say I owned IBM for 30 years, not happy with my returns, wanted to invest in a startup called Apple. If I had to pay 39% taxes, I would be less inclined to sell my IBM stock. Take macro economics 101 and get back to me if you don’t understand what a disaster this would be to the economy.
    LOL you telling me to take an intro course to macroeconomics course to learn about that argument...

You numbskull! I took a slew of graduate economics courses on my way to earning two post graduate degrees specializing in finance.
    maybe i missed this but how did you end up a truck driver?

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    i have met more than one truck driver that had a "nice" job but burnt out and decided to drive a truck. Truck drivers make decent enough money and lots of them get to pick and choose when they work

Load Metric
    yeah i'm just saying it's a little odd that a guy claiming to hold two post-graduate degrees in the world of finance now drives a truck and also says he rarely showers

Load Metric
    like was there some massive coke habit at play here? what's the deal

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    A 39% capital gains rate would discourage new investments in the stock market and more importantly, discourage movement of capital within the marketplace. Let’s say I owned IBM for 30 years, not happy with my returns, wanted to invest in a startup called Apple. If I had to pay 39% taxes, I would be less inclined to sell my IBM stock. Take macro economics 101 and get back to me if you don’t understand what a disaster this would be to the economy.
    LOL you telling me to take an intro course to macroeconomics course to learn about that argument...

You numbskull! I took a slew of graduate economics courses on my way to earning two post graduate degrees specializing in finance. And when I repeatedly heard that supply side argument from finance professors that you simplistically parrot here, I, too, accepted it as economic gospel for many years.

Only later when considering the interplay between economics and politics that such an argument ignores, did I realize that when the tax code gives preferential treatment of capital gains versus earned income that over time the wealth and political power it can garner ends up becoming increasingly skewed towards those who don’t have to work for a living. Meaning, it promotes ever-increasing wealth inequality. And that leads to the wealthy garnering an ever increasing proportion of political power to the detriment of most everyone else.

Which is exactly what has happened in the US over the past four decades with the onset of the Reagan Revolution and the Supreme Court’s Citizens United blessing of unlimited campaign spending by superficially “unaffiliated” “legal persons”, and quite anonymously at that. And is a huge reason why a 6-six bankrupt fake billionaire sociopathic narcissistic reality TV star was able to demagogue his way into first capturing the GOP nomination for president AND then defeat the corporately-compromised establishment Democratic Party candidate in the general election.

So, yeah. We’ve tried that tax policy and it has brought us Trump and the utter debasing of the GOP as it keeps itself tied to Trump and his trampling of the Constitution in order to keep from losing relevance with the voters.
    1 - the idea of locking in investments/limiting movement of capital due to high capital gains tax rates wasn't something discussed in my freshman Econ 155 or Econ 156, circa 1974...it was discussed in my Master's in Taxation Tax Concepts and Theory course circa 1990--don't remember the course number

2 - Mumbles is right about economics and politics interplay...(economics) the offshoring of manufacturing/free trade was suppose to make everything better for all Americans as there would be a net gain in output/income nationwide, according to Morris Saft, my Milton Friedman worshiping instructor of Econ 155...(politics) but wasn't foreseen by Morris and what Americans have experienced was the wealth gains arising from free trade/offshoring manufacturing/union busting/tolerated illegal immigration would all go to top 1% on income earners, while everyone else was lucky to maintain their income level. My generation was misled. There are a number of problems with capitalism as the millennials realize --- the current wave of populism is overdue -- this election cycle may be the start of the 3rd Red Scare in American history.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Someine who gets it rep

Jayjami: Cogent points, but respectfully disagree.
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 10-16-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    YANG GANG MF
    #ToddsPlan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    When I was an assistant prof in a tenure-track position, I made the “mistake” of watching the documentary called “The Corporation”, and it planted the seed in my mind that I was working for the wrong team. That seed germinated rather quickly, and I dropped out of academics, and most played poker full time for a few years. But I got burned out on it, and eventually took a flyer on getting into trucking after talking with an oil field trucker at a poker game who mentioned making good money driving truck. I adopted the mindset that I work the job with the focus of being of service to everyone I came in contact with in the job, and I grew to love the work, and my dispatchers love the job I do. Plus, it’s a lot of fun to drive a big rig. Especially in challenging traffic or schedule situations.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: truck driving > teaching college; big time
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    skatz

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    When I was an assistant prof in a tenure-track position, I made the “mistake” of watching the documentary called “The Corporation”, and it planted the seed in my mind that I was working for the wrong team. That seed germinated rather quickly, and I dropped out of academics, and most played poker full time for a few years. But I got burned out on it, and eventually took a flyer on getting into trucking after talking with an oil field trucker at a poker game who mentioned making good money driving truck. I adopted the mindset that I work the job with the focus of being of service to everyone I came in contact with in the job, and I grew to love the work, and my dispatchers love the job I do. Plus, it’s a lot of fun to drive a big rig. Especially in challenging traffic or schedule situations.

link to The Corporation on youtube.com

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

link to Wikipedia article on "The Corporation"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Co...on_(2003_film)
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    well this thread is officially in bloom.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Hillary Clinton actually said she believes Tulsi Gabbard and Jill Stein are Russian assets.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/18/polit...ard/index.html

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    Hillary Clinton actually said she believes Tulsi Gabbard and Jill Stein are Russian assets.

No she didn't. Did you read the article?

Load Metric
    she aint wrong.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

"I'm not making any predictions, but I think they've got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate," Clinton said, speaking on a podcast with former Obama adviser David Plouffe. "She's the favorite of the Russians."

do you interpret "grooming" her as not calling her a russian asset?

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Obv

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    she aint wrong.
    calling her a russian asset makes all democrats look insane

Load Metric

Yeah, she did. Did YOU read the article??

Load Metric
    This is the most press Gabbard has received to date, lead stories on Drudge and Google News. Halfway down the page on Yahoo.

Load Metric

Is that so?

Load Metric

Yeah, she did. Did YOU read the article??
    I guess if you mean Russia asset as someone that if elected would be a good thing for Russia, then yeah. I don't think Hillary would be wrong though. Tulsi said she would immediately withdraw all Troops from the middle east, that would be great for Russia.

I was assuming you meant Russia asset as in she was secretly working to help Russia, which she obviously didn't say or imply. Was probably wrong assumption now that I think about it. My bad.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: saul good

Thread Information