Page 31 of 223 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination Race Thread ***

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Yeah, I don’t believe her, I think she did it for woke academia reasons, but it isn’t some dealbreaker for me between her and trump. Trump’s whole life narrative is a complete fabrication. It’s a dealbreaker between her and Bernie to me, if I think it’s going to be a problem in the general, and I suspect it is going to be an issue. It’s going to be a year straight of Pocahontas shit instead of a debate on the direction of the country. I think amongst old swing voters, misogyny, or more just a discomfort with women running shit, is more prevalent than racism, and they’re almost looking for a reason not to vote for a woman. I’d prefer not to give them one.
    Much of this is true, but don't you think Bernie will turn off most non-Bernie-Bros with his "grumpy, yelling old man" persona?

He's also too dogmatic with his extreme left positions, and isn't shy about it. In a general election, where the competition is no longer who can out-left the other, this will be a huge problem.
    I don’t think he’ll emerge looking at the current trajectory, but he’d play better in the rust belt swing states imo. They’re just old states, and I knew a lot of Bernie or Trump supporters as strange as that sounds. I don’t think the grumpy old man would bother grumpy old people here. I just feel Bernie is better than Warren here, but have no idea if either is better than Biden.

I have been less engaged in politics the past 3-6 months than almost ever, so my opinions are a bit dated. From what I hear on the street, Trump hasn’t lost any popularity here from what I can tell. I’ve been almost entirely in Ohio and Pa in Trump strongholds, so I’m not a good gauge for what’s going on nationally. I have seen no erosion for Trump in NE Ohio, which had gone blue for 80 years until Trump. I’ve been spending quite a bit of time in western Pa for the past month, but it’s rural and always red and they love trump.

I legitimately see no difference than last election. I see no stars on the dem side. Trump is either hated enough where any of them can win, or he’s hated, but not enough to drive all the various coalitions to the polls. I’m skeptical. Biden is probably the best shot at these states if Trump has just slightly cooled in the suburbs, but I imagine that comes at the cost of enthusiasm elsewhere. I don’t like our candidates. I see major flaws with all of them. I hope that Trump is simply hated enough that he loses to any of them, but I see no evidence of it where I live. I like Elizabeth Warren quite a bit, but I’d be shocked if she could win here. If she can it’s an absolute landslide defeat for trump.

Load Metric

Much of this is true, but don't you think Bernie will turn off most non-Bernie-Bros with his "grumpy, yelling old man" persona?

He's also too dogmatic with his extreme left positions, and isn't shy about it. In a general election, where the competition is no longer who can out-left the other, this will be a huge problem.
    I don’t think he’ll emerge looking at the current trajectory, but he’d play better in the rust belt swing states imo. They’re just old states, and I knew a lot of Bernie or Trump supporters as strange as that sounds. I don’t think the grumpy old man would bother grumpy old people here. I just feel Bernie is better than Warren here, but have no idea if either is better than Biden.

I have been less engaged in politics the past 3-6 months than almost ever, so my opinions are a bit dated. From what I hear on the street, Trump hasn’t lost any popularity here from what I can tell. I’ve been almost entirely in Ohio and Pa in Trump strongholds, so I’m not a good gauge for what’s going on nationally. I have seen no erosion for Trump in NE Ohio, which had gone blue for 80 years until Trump. I’ve been spending quite a bit of time in western Pa for the past month, but it’s rural and always red and they love trump.

I legitimately see no difference than last election. I see no stars on the dem side. Trump is either hated enough where any of them can win, or he’s hated, but not enough to drive all the various coalitions to the polls. I’m skeptical. Biden is probably the best shot at these states if Trump has just slightly cooled in the suburbs, but I imagine that comes at the cost of enthusiasm elsewhere. I don’t like our candidates. I see major flaws with all of them. I hope that Trump is simply hated enough that he loses to any of them, but I see no evidence of it where I live. I like Elizabeth Warren quite a bit, but I’d be shocked if she could win here. If she can it’s an absolute landslide defeat for trump.
    trump hasn't lost any support, but remember that trump won by 80,000 votes in an election where literally no young people or minorities voted cause hillary was the worst candidate in history.

there's also no way trump wins pa again. he's lost the philly suburbs.

agreed that there isn't a really great dem candidate though (outside of tulsi)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

trump hasn't lost any support, but remember that trump won by 80,000 votes in an election where literally no young people or minorities voted cause hillary was the worst candidate in history.

there's also no way trump wins pa again. he's lost the philly suburbs.

agreed that there isn't a really great dem candidate though (outside of tulsi)
    Yeah, where I’m at in PA has probably went red forever, so his popularity here doesn’t mean much. I’ve been in Pittsburgh quite a bit also, but haven’t talked much politics there with anyone.

Obviously PA is a much easier pull for dems than Ohio. Ohio is becoming a quite red state. Something like Nevada is way more blue and I suspect states like Arizona might be more blue than Ohio in five-ten years, if not close already.

I legit have no idea how any of these candidates are running in like a Florida or Virginia.

Edit-just looked at some polling of various states. If election were held tomorrow, I’d guess dems probably pull out like 278 electoral votes, but as I said, I really haven’t been paying that close of attention.
    Last edited by BCR; 09-19-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Load Metric
    Not an NRA guy, but this is an A+ troll tweet

Comments

tony bagadonuts:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    Not an NRA guy, but this is an A+ troll tweet

Old joke.

On a snowy (yes, snowy) day in Las Vegas in December 2008, I went to go buy my first gun. Obama's picture was on the wall with the caption "Salesman of the month".

I lol'd and bought the gun there.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Are you regularly practicing with it? Have you taken tactical training with it?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    so is the left going to bring up the fact that warren pretended to be an american indian and literally called herself 'the first tenured woman of color tenured professor at Harvard Law'?

because im pretty sure the rights going to bring it up for the duration of the election and probably not even bother to bring up anything else.
    Yeah, 100% that's going to come back up very aggressively if she becomes the Dem candidate.

I think a lot of Democrats believe that issue is done and buried. It's not. The right has just put it on hold until they see if she will be the one they need to attack.

Warren definitely exploited the Native American thing in order to make herself seem more interesting at Harvard, and nobody questioned it because... well, academia is why. She didn't think about how it might come back to bite her if she ran for office one day.

The right likes to say that she got her job at Harvard by falsifying her racial identity, but that's not true. She was hired first, and a few years later submitted a change form to go from white to Native American in their official records. This wasn't a "get myself hired under a quota" move, it was a "pretend to be a minority because a white person in academia doesn't get you noticed" move.

She actually could have nipped this in the bud a long time ago by simply claiming that family lore confused her, and that upon researching it further, she realizes that it might have just been a legend. She could have apologized to Native groups, said that she felt proud at the time believing she was one of them, and that she never meant any harm. That would have been that.

Instead she foolishly doubled down on the whole thing with the DNA test, which just made her look like even more of a liar.

But yeah, if she's the candidate, this is far from over.

yeah what makes it all so sad is she clearly never considered a life in public service when she made that choice. also native american rights were a huge hot button issue at the time and i think she wanted to be on the right side of it, which probably made her feel less like an imposter and more like a supporter. pure conjecture tho.

i have this awful fucking feeling that she thinks she can just trot out trump's history of sexual assaults / general sleaze as some sort of quid pro quo a la 'oh so you want to talk about youthful mistakes? lets talk about youthful mistakes then..' and who knows, it might even work, but at the end of the day, in an election already billed as a war for the undecideds, she cant afford for anyone to stay home because neither candidate passes the stink test.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    Lol yes, I had forgotten about that. She's a serious freak and a weird dude (and she's also quite young).

Are you giving her a pass because she's a women? If a man was throwing stuff at his staffers constantly and degrading them, he'd have resigned already

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...t-says-n974746
    Guess her seemingly reasonable, calm Midwestern persona fooled me. I will admit that I knew little about her until recently. I was just posting my impressions of each candidate, trying to put my disagreement with their politics aside.

It's funny because when I first saw a picture of her, I thought to myself, "This woman kind of looks like a bitch", but then I saw her speak and felt bad for thinking that, as she seemed okay.

Maybe my first impression was correct.
    LBJ had a gift for appearing in public and on TV to be a peaceful, kind, mentoring-uncle to the nation. Few people outside of those who dealt directly with him knew how much of an unrepentant physical bully he was with those had had power over. For example, his Vice President, Hubert Humphrey, probably went to his grave still bearing scars on his shins from LBJ kicking them when holding him closely by his lapels while verbally berating him for some reason or another.

And Bill Clinton, the epitome of the calm and welcoming public political presence had a volcanic temper behind closed doors that left those unfamiliar with it sometimes stunned into disbelief. Clinton, though, would later usually apologize for the outburst, while LBJ never seemed to reflect in his privileged abuse of his underlings.

Comments

Bootsy Collins: Post less
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Guess her seemingly reasonable, calm Midwestern persona fooled me. I will admit that I knew little about her until recently. I was just posting my impressions of each candidate, trying to put my disagreement with their politics aside.

It's funny because when I first saw a picture of her, I thought to myself, "This woman kind of looks like a bitch", but then I saw her speak and felt bad for thinking that, as she seemed okay.

Maybe my first impression was correct.
    LBJ had a gift for appearing in public and on TV to be a peaceful, kind, mentoring-uncle to the nation. Few people outside of those who dealt directly with him knew how much of an unrepentant physical bully he was with those had had power over. For example, his Vice President, Hubert Humphrey, probably went to his grave still bearing scars on his shins from LBJ kicking them when holding him closely by his lapels while verbally berating him for some reason or another.

And Bill Clinton, the epitome of the calm and welcoming public political presence had a volcanic temper behind closed doors that left those unfamiliar with it sometimes stunned into disbelief. Clinton, though, would later usually apologize for the outburst, while LBJ never seemed to reflect in his privileged abuse of his underlings.

lol wtf do you even mean here?

Comments

Tellafriend: Does anyone really care
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric

you can pretty much scratch yang, that shits a wrap after that tweet.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Elizabeth Warren has been the winner recently, slowly rising as Biden and Bernie slowly slip. Biden's still ahead, but she's the one going the right direction. Harris is done, and everyone else is simply lagging too far behind without any real momentum.

However, Warren has three big problems ahead:

1) She does not appeal to minority voters. At all. Hillary did. Biden does. Warren doesn't, nor does Bernie. You have to win a decent share of minority votes if you're going to emerge victorious in the Democratic Primary, and she just isn't getting there. Even with her recent polling gains, she's actually DECLINED slightly with minority support. She might not be able to crack this one. It seems that if minority Democrats are going to vote for white people, they want establishment white people. Bernie and Warren aren't the establishment, and honestly I don't think minorities relate to either of them very well.

2) Her health care plan involves raising taxes on the middle class, and she won't directly admit it. She won't deny it, but she dodges the question when asked about it. She just trots out a line that "middle class families will have their overall cost of healthcare go down", but then refuses to own up to the fact that part of it involves raising their taxes. Other candidates are now seizing upon it, even the usually-docile Mayor Pete. Her honesty and straightforwardness -- a strength, especially following a Hillary candidacy -- is now being questioned. She's not going to be able to get away with dodging this question for much longer.

3) If Bernie stubbornly stays in the race for a long time, which he might, she won't have a path to his voters, most of whom would probably prefer her over Biden. This will create a ceiling to where she simply can't eclipse Biden, in all likelihood.

Load Metric

Druff, do you remember who you are debating this matter with??? I was in academia as a full-time finance professor for 7 years, and spent 5 years before that at a graduate school. In that time, I saw and learned of cases of when someone used a unique/special demographic status to gain an advantage...
    Why do YOU think she changed her race a few years into her time at Harvard? Doesn't it seem odd to you that she'd just do that out of nowhere, unless there were a practical reason for it?
    I’ve said this before: Because someone in the administration probably heard Warren talking about her Native American heritage, however tiny, after she was there, saw an opportunity to get add a “diversity” checkmark for the department without needing to a hire a professor with a pre-established identity as one, and slyly encouraged her to do so. I based this on seeing firsthand how college administrators will play games with classifications of things to boost the public perception of their school using the least amount of effort when the opportunity arises.

I also base this on the fact that Warren’s areas of scholarly interest have nothing to do with issues important to Native American tribes, and as such, she didn’t really have her scholarly credibility enhanced by such a reclassification. But in the modern age of “diversity matters” in college reputations, the administration clearly did as long as they could get away with reclassifying Warren as a Native American.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Why do YOU think she changed her race a few years into her time at Harvard? Doesn't it seem odd to you that she'd just do that out of nowhere, unless there were a practical reason for it?
    I’ve said this before: Because someone in the administration probably heard Warren talking about her Native American heritage, however tiny, after she was there, saw an opportunity to get add a “diversity” checkmark for the department without needing to a hire a professor with a pre-established identity as one, and slyly encouraged her to do so. I based this on seeing firsthand how college administrators will play games with classifications of things to boost the public perception of their school using the least amount of effort when the opportunity arises.

I also base this on the fact that Warren’s areas of scholarly interest have nothing to do with issues important to Native American tribes, and as such, she didn’t really have her scholarly credibility enhanced by such a reclassification. But in the modern age of “diversity matters” in college reputations, the administration clearly did as long as they could get away with reclassifying Warren as a Native American.
    This is all baseless speculation.

There is no evidence at all that Warren was pressured or pushed into changing her race to Native American by colleagues. Everything points to this being her own idea. Even Warren herself has not blamed the decision on anyone else.

Keep in mind that she also laughably was a "contributor" to an awful Native American cookbook in 1984 called "Pow Wow Chow", where some of the recipes were plagiarized from elsewhere. She clearly had some delusion that she was part Native American, and wanted to exploit that at every opportunity.

This whole Native thing was something she enjoyed pushing throughout her adult life, and it not only went unchallenged, but she probably felt it made people see her as more interesting. That's why I'm guessing she kept on with it. She'd tell stories about her Native American family, people would seem interested, and the positive feedback would just keep the whole thing going.

Remember the ridiculous interview about how her parents experienced flak when dating because one was Native and one was white? Then it was found that all of it was bullshit?

Make no mistake about it. All of this shit will come back up if she is the Democratic candidate, and while it's not a huge deal as far as her fitness for office, it does cast a story of delusion and dishonesty upon her basic narrative of being sensible and straightforward.

While what she did in the 70s is long done and overwith, she really screwed herself in recent years by telling these dumb Native American family stories and releasing that DNA test. A simple, "Oops, turned out my family told me wrong, sorry about that" would have mostly ended the issue.

Load Metric

seriously what the fuck is wrong with your brain?

Comments

blake:

Load Metric

This is all baseless speculation.

There is no evidence at all that Warren was pressured or pushed into changing her race to Native American by colleagues. Everything points to this being her own idea. Even Warren herself has not blamed the decision on anyone else.

Keep in mind that she also laughably was a "contributor" to an awful Native American cookbook in 1984 called "Pow Wow Chow", where some of the recipes were plagiarized from elsewhere. She clearly had some delusion that she was part Native American, and wanted to exploit that at every opportunity.

This whole Native thing was something she enjoyed pushing throughout her adult life, and it not only went unchallenged, but she probably felt it made people see her as more interesting. That's why I'm guessing she kept on with it. She'd tell stories about her Native American family, people would seem interested, and the positive feedback would just keep the whole thing going.

Remember the ridiculous interview about how her parents experienced flak when dating because one was Native and one was white? Then it was found that all of it was bullshit?

Make no mistake about it. All of this shit will come back up if she is the Democratic candidate, and while it's not a huge deal as far as her fitness for office, it does cast a story of delusion and dishonesty upon her basic narrative of being sensible and straightforward.

While what she did in the 70s is long done and overwith, she really screwed herself in recent years by telling these dumb Native American family stories and releasing that DNA test. A simple, "Oops, turned out my family told me wrong, sorry about that" would have mostly ended the issue.
    Then I guess you will be happy to learn this news, as per your read on Warren’s deficiencies as a presidential candidate, Trump most likely would defeat her if she ends up becoming the Dem Party nominee.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post
    Hillary is the best bet out there by far I think, we might be approaching the last time to possibly get rich. the field is looking weak and Hillary is actually a pretty good sleazebag politician, she could definitely have a shot if she gets in

ATTENTION DUPED_BY_SMOLLETT & SMALL DICK, OTHER DONKEYS, ETC..

made a deposit at predictit.org around this time and bought 6200 shares of HILLARY THE SLEAZEBAG GOD, my portfolio...

Market Investment $188.70
    Gain/Loss +$125.80

Comments

MumblesBadly: Good luck! (LOL!)

Load Metric
    Let me be the first here to say this: This policy position is a very bad move by Bernie.

Sanders targets highest-income Americans with 'extreme wealth tax' and 'national wealth registry'

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...th-tax-1763426
    Sen. Bernie Sanders on Tuesday proposed an “extreme wealth tax” on the highest-income Americans, along with a “national wealth registry” that he said would help prevent them from avoiding the tax.

The tax rate would start at 1 percent on net worth of more than $32 million and rise with income above that, topping out at 8 percent on wealth over $10 billion.

“At a time when millions of people are working two or three jobs to feed their families, the three wealthiest people in this country own more wealth than the bottom half of the American people,” Sanders said in a statement. “Enough is enough. We are going to take on the billionaire class, substantially reduce wealth inequality in America and stop our democracy from turning into a corrupt oligarchy.”

Sanders’ campaign also released a letter by University of California, Berkeley economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, who said the plan would “fully eliminate the gap between wealth growth for billionaires and wealth growth for the middle class.”
    Frankly, the notion of a wealth tax is scary enough for a lot of voters to consider, but taking a public the stance at this juncture to put in place a wealth redistribution plan this extensive is likely to be too much for even a majority of Democratic supporters to get behind.

There is an upside of this announcement, though, but not for Team Sanders. By comparison, Elizabeth Warren’s wealth tax plan seem much more reasonable.

Load Metric
    More good news for Druff re who Trump will likely face for re-election next year.

Warren passes Biden in new nationwide poll
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...l-poll-1510726

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    More good news for Druff re who Trump will likely face for re-election next year.

Warren passes Biden in new nationwide poll
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...l-poll-1510726
    Name:  ADF0186D-F6EE-4D97-9C7A-FAF62307F127.jpeg
Views: 298
Size:  113.9 KB

Comments

MumblesBadly: Gotta admit... This is funny!
    #ToddsPlan

Load Metric

Comments

MumblesBadly: Fuck those assholes! People power, baby!

devidee: (((Wall Street donors))) LULZ

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    democrat's lol.

it amazes me that anybody with half a frikken brain can even support this party and the muppets that are now in the spotlight.

this party is no longer about helping out peeps left behind or being wronged.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Thread Information