Page 30 of 223 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination Race Thread ***

Load Metric
    Guess a lot of people agree with Druff on Castro. Also, Bernie should just drop out now. His campaign is floundering
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    Lol yes, I had forgotten about that. She's a serious freak and a weird dude (and she's also quite young).

Are you giving her a pass because she's a women? If a man was throwing stuff at his staffers constantly and degrading them, he'd have resigned already

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...t-says-n974746
    Guess her seemingly reasonable, calm Midwestern persona fooled me. I will admit that I knew little about her until recently. I was just posting my impressions of each candidate, trying to put my disagreement with their politics aside.

It's funny because when I first saw a picture of her, I thought to myself, "This woman kind of looks like a bitch", but then I saw her speak and felt bad for thinking that, as she seemed okay.

Maybe my first impression was correct.

Load Metric
    so is the left going to bring up the fact that warren pretended to be an american indian and literally called herself 'the first tenured woman of color tenured professor at Harvard Law'?

because im pretty sure the rights going to bring it up for the duration of the election and probably not even bother to bring up anything else.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Pocahontas said what???

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    Lol yes, I had forgotten about that. She's a serious freak and a weird dude (and she's also quite young).

Are you giving her a pass because she's a women? If a man was throwing stuff at his staffers constantly and degrading them, he'd have resigned already

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...t-says-n974746
    Guess her seemingly reasonable, calm Midwestern persona fooled me. I will admit that I knew little about her until recently. I was just posting my impressions of each candidate, trying to put my disagreement with their politics aside.

It's funny because when I first saw a picture of her, I thought to myself, "This woman kind of looks like a bitch", but then I saw her speak and felt bad for thinking that, as she seemed okay.

Maybe my first impression was correct.
    Don't judge a book by it's cover Druff. Without reading this forum most would not guess that you are a classist, a misogynist and a soft taco racist. A person who's priorities in life don't seem to include his neighbors and
    countrymen.

Comments

MumblesBadly: You, too, noticed how the darker skinned Dem candidates got serious shade from Druff re being “arrogant”, which sounds a lot like “uppity”?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    so is the left going to bring up the fact that warren pretended to be an american indian and literally called herself 'the first tenured woman of color tenured professor at Harvard Law'?

because im pretty sure the rights going to bring it up for the duration of the election and probably not even bother to bring up anything else.
    Yeah, 100% that's going to come back up very aggressively if she becomes the Dem candidate.

I think a lot of Democrats believe that issue is done and buried. It's not. The right has just put it on hold until they see if she will be the one they need to attack.

Warren definitely exploited the Native American thing in order to make herself seem more interesting at Harvard, and nobody questioned it because... well, academia is why. She didn't think about how it might come back to bite her if she ran for office one day.

The right likes to say that she got her job at Harvard by falsifying her racial identity, but that's not true. She was hired first, and a few years later submitted a change form to go from white to Native American in their official records. This wasn't a "get myself hired under a quota" move, it was a "pretend to be a minority because a white person in academia doesn't get you noticed" move.

She actually could have nipped this in the bud a long time ago by simply claiming that family lore confused her, and that upon researching it further, she realizes that it might have just been a legend. She could have apologized to Native groups, said that she felt proud at the time believing she was one of them, and that she never meant any harm. That would have been that.

Instead she foolishly doubled down on the whole thing with the DNA test, which just made her look like even more of a liar.

But yeah, if she's the candidate, this is far from over.

Load Metric
    Would Hillary be a viable out of nowhere VP candidate?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    Would Hillary be a viable out of nowhere VP candidate?

I know Presidents are limited to two terms but I'm thinking Trump would make a great Vice President under Elizabeth Warren. He would be forbidden from speaking but after the meetings he could take heads of state sight seeing to his hotels and golf courses.

Load Metric
    What if the ticket was Biden (wink wink) Obama.

Biden dies of brain cancer in March 2020

Obama picks Stacey Abram for VP

Abram AOC 2024

AOC Tlaib 2032

Benjamin votes for AOC

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL, except Obama can’t be VP because he could automatically become president if the elected president died.
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 09-19-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

Yeah, 100% that's going to come back up very aggressively if she becomes the Dem candidate.

I think a lot of Democrats believe that issue is done and buried. It's not. The right has just put it on hold until they see if she will be the one they need to attack.

Warren definitely exploited the Native American thing in order to make herself seem more interesting at Harvard, and nobody questioned it because... well, academia is why. She didn't think about how it might come back to bite her if she ran for office one day.

The right likes to say that she got her job at Harvard by falsifying her racial identity, but that's not true. She was hired first, and a few years later submitted a change form to go from white to Native American in their official records. This wasn't a "get myself hired under a quota" move, it was a "pretend to be a minority because a white person in academia doesn't get you noticed" move.

She actually could have nipped this in the bud a long time ago by simply claiming that family lore confused her, and that upon researching it further, she realizes that it might have just been a legend. She could have apologized to Native groups, said that she felt proud at the time believing she was one of them, and that she never meant any harm. That would have been that.

Instead she foolishly doubled down on the whole thing with the DNA test, which just made her look like even more of a liar.

You had the first part right about what it wasn’t, but Warren’s excellent scholarship didn’t require her to do anything to get noticed in academia. I mean, for fuck sake, Druff, she was already being lauded by her peers by that time and had already joined the ranks of the top tier law professors in the country by becoming a Harvard Law faculty member. If anything, at that point, she wanted to inspire younger law professors who identified as having Native American heritage to believe that they, too, could achieve such success. That is based on how she would take time to try to meet up such folks at conferences, network with them, but not because *she* needed the attention or increased opportunities; she already was in the top tier by then.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

You had the first part right about what it wasn’t, but Warren’s excellent scholarship didn’t require her to do anything to get noticed in academia. I mean, for fuck sake, Druff, she was already being lauded by her peers by that time and had already joined the ranks of the top tier law professors in the country by becoming a Harvard Law faculty member. If anything, at that point, she wanted to inspire younger law professors who identified as having Native American heritage to believe that they, too, could achieve such success. That is based on how she would take time to try to meet up such folks at conferences, network with them, but not because *she* needed the attention or increased opportunities; she already was in the top tier by then.

Man, I don’t know why she did it other than wanting to fit in. I’d like to think it was altruistic because I like her, but that doesn't pass the smell test. Some great student sitting on the reservation gets a sit down with Elizabeth Warren and she starts on about I made it, you can too, and that kid is wondering what the crazy pale face lady is babbling about. We’re mutts in America, but you need to be significantly something to claim it for those motivational purposes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mumbles is being very naive about academia.

Even back in the 70s, you got a lot more credit on campus if you were a successful minority than a successful white person.

Warren probably heard the family stories and thought, "Yeah, I can probably claim this, it will get me some more positive attention", and she did so.

She actually applied to work at Harvard listed as a white person, and then changed to Native American years later.

Do you think she had a vision quest where she realized she was Native all along? Obviously after being on campus a few years, a light bulb went over her head that she could exploit the "I'm part Native" thing for more recognition.

In fact, I knew idiots like this at my college. They weren't professors, but they would brag about being "1/16th Cherokee" as if that separated them from being an evil/boring/ordinary white person. Like somehow they also got to be part of a victim class. And this was back in the early '90s, when identity politics were far less prominent.

Let's face it. She exploited a family tale in order to selfishly gain '70s woke points, and now it's biting her in the ass. Too bad, so sad.

Load Metric

Even back in the 70s, you got a lot more credit on campus if you were a successful minority than a successful white person.

Warren probably heard the family stories and thought, "Yeah, I can probably claim this, it will get me some more positive attention", and she did so.

She actually applied to work at Harvard listed as a white person, and then changed to Native American years later.

Do you think she had a vision quest where she realized she was Native all along? Obviously after being on campus a few years, a light bulb went over her head that she could exploit the "I'm part Native" thing for more recognition.

In fact, I knew idiots like this at my college. They weren't professors, but they would brag about being "1/16th Cherokee" as if that separated them from being an evil/boring/ordinary white person. Like somehow they also got to be part of a victim class. And this was back in the early '90s, when identity politics were far less prominent.

Let's face it. She exploited a family tale in order to selfishly gain '70s woke points, and now it's biting her in the ass. Too bad, so sad.
    big fucking deal druff look at all the shit your hero Trump has said and done . Funny you right wing nuts nit pick on little shit like this yet forgive a complete manaic like Trump who has done and said so much shit it would literally take and hour to type out

Load Metric

Druff, do you remember who you are debating this matter with??? I was in academia as a full-time finance professor for 7 years, and spent 5 years before that at a graduate school. In that time, I saw and learned of cases of when someone used a unique/special demographic status to gain an advantage or special privilege within the university. And as I straight white male competing in that environment a dozen years, I have all the demographic-checkbox reasons to be angry/upset if some opportunities didn’t come my way because of affirmative action. So, your claim that I am being “naive” about academia is a ridiculously ignorant.

And regarding Elizabeth Warren, as a finance professor in the middle 2000s, I was aware of and impressed by some of her work on bankruptcy law before I left academia related to the change in the federal bankruptcy law that passed during George W. Bush’ first term in office. So, yeah, she was a “big deal” in law academia absent any consideration of her long-distance minority demographic heritage.

Comments

big dick: doesn't matter he will continue to debate you even though you have him crushed.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Yeah, I don’t believe her, I think she did it for woke academia reasons, but it isn’t some dealbreaker for me between her and trump. Trump’s whole life narrative is a complete fabrication. It’s a dealbreaker between her and Bernie to me, if I think it’s going to be a problem in the general, and I suspect it is going to be an issue. It’s going to be a year straight of Pocahontas shit instead of a debate on the direction of the country. I think amongst old swing voters, misogyny, or more just a discomfort with women running shit, is more prevalent than racism, and they’re almost looking for a reason not to vote for a woman. I’d prefer not to give them one.

Diamond
    Load Metric

Comments

big dick: doesn't matter he will continue to debate you even though you have him crushed.

Lol wow what an endorsement of mumblesbadly

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Druff, do you remember who you are debating this matter with??? I was in academia as a full-time finance professor for 7 years, and spent 5 years before that at a graduate school. In that time, I saw and learned of cases of when someone used a unique/special demographic status to gain an advantage or special privilege within the university. And as I straight white male competing in that environment a dozen years, I have all the demographic-checkbox reasons to be angry/upset if some opportunities didn’t come my way because of affirmative action. So, your claim that I am being “naive” about academia is a ridiculously ignorant.

And regarding Elizabeth Warren, as a finance professor in the middle 2000s, I was aware of and impressed by some of her work on bankruptcy law before I left academia related to the change in the federal bankruptcy law that passed during George W. Bush’ first term in office. So, yeah, she was a “big deal” in law academia absent any consideration of her long-distance minority demographic heritage.
    I never said that Elizabeth Warren's work was substandard, or that she needed to fake a minority identity to be thought of as competent.

From an actual work standpoint, I'm sure that Warren, whom I concede is very intelligent, did plenty to distinguish herself.

However, academia is a different work environment than any other type of place. You're not only judged on your actual work, but also by your story. If you do a lot of great work but are just a plain ol' heterosexual white female, your work might be lauded, but your story won't interest many people. If you do great work AND you are of some underprivileged or victim class, then your story becomes a huge inspiration and the level of admiration is far greater. Warren knew that the only "victim" box she checked at the time was being female, but female professors were common enough in academia, even in the mid-70s. That's why she pushed the Native American thing, so any story about her would be peppered with "Harvard's only Native American professor" or whatever.

Why do YOU think she changed her race a few years into her time at Harvard? Doesn't it seem odd to you that she'd just do that out of nowhere, unless there were a practical reason for it?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Yeah, I don’t believe her, I think she did it for woke academia reasons, but it isn’t some dealbreaker for me between her and trump. Trump’s whole life narrative is a complete fabrication. It’s a dealbreaker between her and Bernie to me, if I think it’s going to be a problem in the general, and I suspect it is going to be an issue. It’s going to be a year straight of Pocahontas shit instead of a debate on the direction of the country. I think amongst old swing voters, misogyny, or more just a discomfort with women running shit, is more prevalent than racism, and they’re almost looking for a reason not to vote for a woman. I’d prefer not to give them one.
    Much of this is true, but don't you think Bernie will turn off most non-Bernie-Bros with his "grumpy, yelling old man" persona?

He's also too dogmatic with his extreme left positions, and isn't shy about it. In a general election, where the competition is no longer who can out-left the other, this will be a huge problem.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Much of this is true, but don't you think Bernie will turn off most non-Bernie-Bros with his "grumpy, yelling old man" persona?

He's also too dogmatic with his extreme left positions, and isn't shy about it. In a general election, where the competition is no longer who can out-left the other, this will be a huge problem.
    Bernie has zero chance of getting the nomination, but the problem for Warren is that a lot of his fans are "Bernie or bust" types. He has his solid core supporters, but not much room to expand. His polling numbers basically haven't fluctuated at all.

Load Metric
    actual quotes from rudy giuliani tonight during an interview with chris cuomo

Cuomo: "Did you ask the Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden?”

Giuliani “No, actually I didn’t."

Cuomo: “You never asked anything about Hunter Biden? You never asked anything about Joe Biden to the prosecutor?

Giuliani: “The only thing I asked is to get to the bottom of how it was that the guy who was appointed dismissed the case against Antac."

Cuomo: “So you did ask Ukraine to look into Joe Biden."

Giuliani: “Of course I did."

https://www.mediaite.com/news/must-w...cnn-interview/

i just can't with old people anymore

Thread Information