Page 36 of 223 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination Race Thread ***

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    it appears that the entire warren/pregnancy story was essentially hatched at a pro-bernie think-tank (Jacobin) and then instantly went viral without being fact checked at all.
    Unless Bernie’s campaign formally distances itself from this claim, it is going to damage his credibility among many women.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-all-too-real/

CBS News, however, found evidence supporting Warren’s claims. Two retired Riverdale teachers said, according to the network, that “the workplace culture at the time may have left Warren with no option but to move on when her pregnancy became apparent.”

“The rule was at five months you had to leave when you were pregnant. Now, if you didn’t tell anybody you were pregnant, and they didn’t know, you could fudge it and try to stay on a little bit longer,” one of those retired teachers said. “But they kind of wanted you out if you were pregnant.”
    And here are a few of the tweets in the article supporting Warren mentioning this issue as part of the historical zeitgeist of discrimination in the workplace against expectant mothers back then.

The Mother Jones article linked above contains more relevant tweets, including some showing newspaper articles in the 1970s discussing the systemic discrimination pregnant women and mothers faced back then.

But go ahead, Blake. Keep claiming that Warren...
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    [...]appears to lie just for the fun of it. she always seems to feel the need to convince people that she's suffered some form of hardship[.]
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    But go ahead, Blake. Keep claiming that Warren...
    [...]appears to lie just for the fun of it. she always seems to feel the need to convince people that she's suffered some form of hardship[.]

hey, if it turns out warren was telling the truth, my bad

i prefer to give my opinion without actually knowing the facts.

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL!

Load Metric
    If Bernie Sanders has another heart attack then Hillary Clinton is ready to take his place which is Donald Trump's wet dream.

Load Metric
    Hillary Clinton Says Trump is ‘Obsessed’ With Her: ‘Maybe There Does Need to Be a Rematch’

https://www.mediaite.com/election-20...-be-a-rematch/

jesus she really might do this.

and as much as i hated her, i'll fucking campaign for her this time around.

prediction -- when biden drops dead during the next debate and hillary announces she's running, she's killing trump in 2020.

Load Metric
    Hillary Clinton Says Trump is ‘Obsessed’ With Her: ‘Maybe There Does Need to Be a Rematch’

prediction -- when biden drops dead during the next debate and hillary announces she's running, she's killing trump in 2020.
    Serious query: hasn’t the time for qualifying in most states already passed?

Comments

sonatine: ive been asking myself exactly this

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

Serious query: hasn’t the time for qualifying in most states already passed?
    no idea, although with the amount of people speculating about her entering the race, i would have hoped that this would have already been addressed by the media if it was a real impediment

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hillary running again would be a

for reasons already stated.

Democrats would honestly be much better off with a toned-down Warren.

Comments

Jayjami: Agreed

Diamond
    Load Metric

Read about the quote today, figured it would be mostly in a joking matter. And I would say she appears to almost be dead serious. I'd seriously handicap a run at 60% yes.

Load Metric
    Just saw interview with Bernie outside his house. He looks like shit and didn't seem very confident at all. Even said he wouldn't be doing as many rallies from here on out. I'd be surprised if he doesn't drop out by thanksgiving. It was obvious his wife is begging him to throw in the towel.

Even if he recovers fully, the heart attack just makes it too easy for Warren/Bernie fence sitters to choose Warren.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    So if a dude wants to transition to a woman Warren thinks the taxpayers should pay for it. Makes sense....

Load Metric
    Someone let limitless know that nightmarefish is drunk and ready to go at it!

edit: damn fish is probably blacked out by now

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I know a woman who was a teacher in 1971 in New Jersey, and was pregnant.

She was not under any pressure to resign, nor was there any date she was told she had to leave based upon the time she was pregnant.

She voluntarily left her job shortly before the baby was due. She then decided on her own to take a break from teaching as she took care of the baby. Some years passed, and she had two more children. She never went back to teaching, and took on a different career, which was more conducive to working from home.

Who was that woman?

My mother. And I was the baby growing in her belly in 1971 and early 1972.

That's not to say that every New Jersey school district was the same, because they weren't. It's possible that the one where Warren worked had an asshole principal who had a bug up his ass regarding pregnant teachers.

Unfortunately, this one is impossible to prove or disprove. The principal is dead, and no one around from back then can seem to corroborate or refute the story.

However, Politifact (which actually leans somewhat left) did point out that Warren gave a completely different story about her departure from teaching, while on the campaign trail in 2007:

"I was married at 19 and then graduated from college, actually, after I’d married," Warren said in an interview on a show produced by the University of California, Berkeley. "And my first year post-graduation, I worked — it was in a public school system, but I worked with the children with disabilities. And I did that for a year. And then that summer — I actually didn’t have the education courses, so I was on an ‘emergency certificate,’ it was called."

So, Warren indicates that her lack of credentials might have been an issue. Regardless, the school board offered to renew her job.

Warren noted that she later "went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, ‘I don’t think this is going to work out for me.’ And I was pregnant with my first baby. So, I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years, and I was really casting about, thinking, ‘What am I going to do?’ And my husband’s view of it was, ‘Stay home. We have children, we’ll have more children, you’ll love this.’ And I was very restless about it."

Warren’s story is different as a senator and on the presidential campaign trail.
    https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...b-because-she/

These are Warren's own words, and they directly contradict the narrative she spun just 7 years later in 2014, regarding being forced out of a job due to pregnancy.

So even if Warren is telling the truth now, she told a very detailed lie in 2007, which should be equally disturbing.

Couple that with her silly lies about her supposed Native American ancestry, and it's clear that Warren isn't nearly as genuine as she wants you to believe.

And she does have some kind of obsession with being seen as a victim, which has been tough because she's white, college educated, and wealthy.

Load Metric
    I think the DNC would be insane to nominate Warren or Biden at this point.

Load Metric

She was not under any pressure to resign, nor was there any date she was told she had to leave based upon the time she was pregnant.

She voluntarily left her job shortly before the baby was due. She then decided on her own to take a break from teaching as she took care of the baby. Some years passed, and she had two more children. She never went back to teaching, and took on a different career, which was more conducive to working from home.

Who was that woman?

That's not to say that every New Jersey school district was the same, because they weren't. It's possible that the one where Warren worked had an asshole principal who had a bug up his ass regarding pregnant teachers.

Unfortunately, this one is impossible to prove or disprove. The principal is dead, and no one around from back then can seem to corroborate or refute the story.

However, Politifact (which actually leans somewhat left) did point out that Warren gave a completely different story about her departure from teaching, while on the campaign trail in 2007:

"I was married at 19 and then graduated from college, actually, after I’d married," Warren said in an interview on a show produced by the University of California, Berkeley. "And my first year post-graduation, I worked — it was in a public school system, but I worked with the children with disabilities. And I did that for a year. And then that summer — I actually didn’t have the education courses, so I was on an ‘emergency certificate,’ it was called."

So, Warren indicates that her lack of credentials might have been an issue. Regardless, the school board offered to renew her job.

Warren noted that she later "went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, ‘I don’t think this is going to work out for me.’ And I was pregnant with my first baby. So, I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years, and I was really casting about, thinking, ‘What am I going to do?’ And my husband’s view of it was, ‘Stay home. We have children, we’ll have more children, you’ll love this.’ And I was very restless about it."

Warren’s story is different as a senator and on the presidential campaign trail.

These are Warren's own words, and they directly contradict the narrative she spun just 7 years later in 2014, regarding being forced out of a job due to pregnancy.

So even if Warren is telling the truth now, she told a very detailed lie in 2007, which should be equally disturbing.

Couple that with her silly lies about her supposed Native American ancestry, and it's clear that Warren isn't nearly as genuine as she wants you to believe.

And she does have some kind of obsession with being seen as a victim, which has been tough because she's white, college educated, and wealthy.

Warren didn’t mention in that previous narrative anything about the school admin’s issue with her being pregnant because it wasn’t an important issue in that particular narrative. Raising the issue in that story would have been a distraction from the overall narrative of her being out of the workplace for awhile taking care of her children. It would have brought up a whole other issue to hash out.

Also, she didn’t tell “silly lies” about her “supposed” Native American ancestry. All of her family members have confirmed that one of their grandmothers was part Cherokee.

Also, your mother not being discriminated against for being pregnant doesn’t at all dismiss the reality that discrimination against pregnant women was a real thing back in the 1970s. Those newspaper articles mentioned above and the related Supreme Court case in the latter half of the 1970s were real.

Seriously, Druff. You are being a partisan idiot about these issues.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Sanders campaign just hired a guy to do video work for them whose past hits include a rap video about how Trump and Clinton are the same and his resume just gets worse from there.

Sanders' declining mental faculties are now 100% part of his campaigns brand on social media.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Who was that woman?

Warren didn’t mention in that previous narrative anything about the school admin’s issue with her being pregnant because it wasn’t an important issue in that particular narrative. Raising the issue in that story would have been a distraction from the overall narrative of her being out of the workplace for awhile taking care of her children. It would have brought up a whole other issue to hash out.

Also, she didn’t tell “silly lies” about her “supposed” Native American ancestry. All of her family members have confirmed that one of their grandmothers was part Cherokee.

Also, your mother not being discriminated against for being pregnant doesn’t at all dismiss the reality that discrimination against pregnant women was a real thing back in the 1970s. Those newspaper articles mentioned above and the related Supreme Court case in the latter half of the 1970s were real.

Come on Mumbles, go take a look again at what she said in 2007.

She very clearly stated that she felt her teaching career "wasn't going to work out" because of the special certificates she still needed to earn in order to teach in the field she wanted. Then she also stated that she was pregnant and her husband wanted her to stay home to raise the kids, and that she decided to do that.

There's nothing in that story about having been forced out for being pregnant. Those statements make it clear that leaving teaching was 100% her own decision, albeit a decision influenced by her husband.

Then, as she starts developing Presidential aspirations, her story completely changes, and she claims to have left because she was forced out for being pregnant.

Complete contradictions. Either she was lying in 2007 (or at least lying by omission), or lying from 2014 forward.

Usually when a candidate changes a mundane story (pregnant mom quits job) to something more sensational (forced out of a job because of pregnant), the true story is the mundane one. This shit evolves over the years when the candidates feel they need to change life stories to give themselves more edge.

Face it. You love Warren and want her to win, and you're in denial that there's something fishy about this whole thing.

Again, note that my source for all of this is Politifact, which leans left, so it's definitely not a situation where I'm getting my info from some biased right wing site.

Load Metric
    Sanders campaign just hired a guy to do video work for them whose past hits include a rap video about how Trump and Clinton are the same and his resume just gets worse from there.

Sanders' declining mental faculties are now 100% part of his campaigns brand on social media.
    He's going negative too. He just called Warren the C-word.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: clever

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post

He's going negative too. He just called Warren the C-word.
    He could give that Party in the DOJ guy a run for his money.

Load Metric

Come on Mumbles, go take a look again at what she said in 2007.

She very clearly stated that she felt her teaching career "wasn't going to work out" because of the special certificates she still needed to earn in order to teach in the field she wanted. Then she also stated that she was pregnant and her husband wanted her to stay home to raise the kids, and that she decided to do that.

There's nothing in that story about having been forced out for being pregnant. Those statements make it clear that leaving teaching was 100% her own decision, albeit a decision influenced by her husband.

Then, as she starts developing Presidential aspirations, her story completely changes, and she claims to have left because she was forced out for being pregnant.

Complete contradictions. Either she was lying in 2007 (or at least lying by omission), or lying from 2014 forward.

Usually when a candidate changes a mundane story (pregnant mom quits job) to something more sensational (forced out of a job because of pregnant), the true story is the mundane one. This shit evolves over the years when the candidates feel they need to change life stories to give themselves more edge.

Face it. You love Warren and want her to win, and you're in denial that there's something fishy about this whole thing.

Again, note that my source for all of this is Politifact, which leans left, so it's definitely not a situation where I'm getting my info from some biased right wing site.
    Druff, read this article and get back to me.

'Evidence' used to discredit Elizabeth Warren pregnancy story actually proves her point
    Democratic candidate Elizabeth Warren's story about being fired because she was pregnant is the kind of thing that used to happen all the time.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/3945868002/

Load Metric
    so is the left going to bring up the fact that warren pretended to be an american indian and literally called herself 'the first tenured woman of color tenured professor at Harvard Law'?

because im pretty sure the rights going to bring it up for the duration of the election and probably not even bother to bring up anything else.

11 more months of this:

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Thread Information