Page 177 of 223 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 4441

Thread: *** OFFICIAL 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination Race Thread ***

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    can someone explain what bernie is going for in defending the cuban and chinese governments, or is this just an example of a guy who truly believes in communism?

from tonight's cnn town hall:

“When Fidel Castro first came to power — you know what he did, he initiated a major literacy program. There was a lot of folks in Cuba at that point who were illiterate. He formed a literacy brigade that went out and helped people learn to read and write,”

“China is an authoritarian country, becoming more and more authoritarian. But can anyone deny — the facts are clear — they have taken more people out of extreme poverty than any country in history. I get criticized, but that is the truth.”

is he just trolling us?

he's being attacked as a communist and this is what he comes back with? these attack ads write themselves.

it's like saying, "well that hitler was a bad guy, but in fairness, he did a great job in raising the minimum wage."
    It's really rather insane.

I'm waiting for "Hitler failed out of art school and everyone said he was finished. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
    it's so idiotic that my only guess as far as his strategy is that he knows there are hundreds of hours of video of him praising every dictator on the planet, and he's trying to get out in front of it

he's been in public office for decades. my guess is there's thousands of quotes of his talking about castro, china, etc.

he has never actually been vetted or faced real scrutiny for any of this yet

Load Metric
    “Why are we spotlighting the literacy programs of a brutal dictator, instead of being unambiguous in our condemnation about the way he treated his own people?”

-Pete Buttigieg

skatz

Comments

Dan Druff: lol dems

Load Metric
    bernie believes in people power, and he wants people to stop judging other governments/nations in binary terms, because its divisive and unproductive and strictly the domain of imbeciles and the people who train them.

what i dont get is why hes so bad at making that clear. thats what i find so frustrating about all this.

why am i better at explaining brand than he is when hes being interviewed by anderson fucking cooper?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    “Why are we spotlighting the literacy programs of a brutal dictator, instead of being unambiguous in our condemnation about the way he treated his own people?”

-Pete Buttigieg

skatz

buttigieg had a good one at a town hall today.

kids got moxie.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    bernie believes in people power, and he wants people to stop judging other governments/nations in binary terms, because its divisive and unproductive and strictly the domain of imbeciles and the people who train them.

what i dont get is why hes so bad at making that clear. thats what i find so frustrating about all this.

why am i better at explaining brand than he is when hes being interviewed by anderson fucking cooper?
    it's really politics 101 that you don't praise dictators, or communist of authoritarian regimes under any circumstances

it's legit batshit crazy that he goes out of his way to do so for literally no reason at all.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    can someone explain what bernie is going for in defending the cuban and chinese governments, or is this just an example of a guy who truly believes in communism?

from tonight's cnn town hall:

“When Fidel Castro first came to power — you know what he did, he initiated a major literacy program. There was a lot of folks in Cuba at that point who were illiterate. He formed a literacy brigade that went out and helped people learn to read and write,”

“China is an authoritarian country, becoming more and more authoritarian. But can anyone deny — the facts are clear — they have taken more people out of extreme poverty than any country in history. I get criticized, but that is the truth.”

is he just trolling us?

he's being attacked as a communist and this is what he comes back with? these attack ads write themselves.

it's like saying, "well that hitler was a bad guy, but in fairness, he did a great job in raising the minimum wage."
    It's really rather insane.

I'm waiting for "Hitler failed out of art school and everyone said he was finished. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
    Also, he killed Hitler.

it's really politics 101 that you don't praise dictators, or communist of authoritarian regimes under any circumstances

it's legit batshit crazy that he goes out of his way to do so for literally no reason at all.
    "The Trump of the left"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

"The Trump of the left"

i was thinking of posting that bernie's comments reminded me of trump's russian, filipino and north korean loves fest. we're getting a little too close to trump's there were "good people on both sides" line

Load Metric

and you know whats funny...

the number one complaint about bernie is that hes shitty at politics.

"hes hasnt gotten anything done."

i was skeptical but im starting to see it, hes just not rising to the challenge.

he'll have some chances to prove me wrong, which im grateful for.

Load Metric
    there's an old saying about Mussolini that goes something like this:

"Mussolini made the trains run on time."

The idea is that even dictators have their good points. Despite fascism being an often brutal model of efficient government, full of poverty and corruption -- hey, at least the trains ran on time

I worry he’s so intransigent in his idealism that he is willing to lose if his message remains pure.

His ground game was really good in Nevada though. His supporters may not let him fail.

I want a populist bloodbath.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bernie cannot find himself able to be able to criticize communist dictatorships or communism itself.

The best he can do is give an answer like, "The dictatorship part was wrong, but..."

This is why I say he's a communist. You don't need to be a brutal, violent authoritarian to be a communist. Bernie loves communism, and his fantasy is a communist regime without the violence and oppression.

He refuses to distance himself from communism or explain why he doesn't support it. That's because Bernie doesn't like to directly lie, so he just avoids questions. He lies by omission, figuring that if he doesn't directly speak an untruth, he's not lying.

Bernie of 1975 is the same as 2020 Bernie... just 45 years older.

GL in the general election, y'all.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    there's an old saying about Mussolini that goes something like this:

"Mussolini made the trains run on time."

The idea is that even dictators have their good points. Despite fascism being an often brutal model of efficient government, full of poverty and corruption -- hey, at least the trains ran on time

I worry he’s so intransigent in his idealism that he is willing to lose if his message remains pure.

His ground game was really good in Nevada though. His supporters may not let him fail.

Comments

Tellafriend: An old fav

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Bernie cannot find himself able to be able to criticize communist dictatorships or communism itself.

The best he can do is give an answer like, "The dictatorship part was wrong, but..."

This is why I say he's a communist. You don't need to be a brutal, violent authoritarian to be a communist. Bernie loves communism, and his fantasy is a communist regime without the violence and oppression.

He refuses to distance himself from communism or explain why he doesn't support it. That's because Bernie doesn't like to directly lie, so he just avoids questions. He lies by omission, figuring that if he doesn't directly speak an untruth, he's not lying.

Bernie of 1975 is the same as 2020 Bernie... just 45 years older.

GL in the general election, y'all.
    That's funny because Trump's fantasy is a communist regime with the violence and oppression.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: Truth

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

That is what happened in 2016.

Load Metric
    when i say the opposition research on bernie sanders is endless, i mean it's fucking ENDLESS

apparently bernie went to nicaragua to celebrate the 6th anniversary of the sandinistas taking power and while on stage at this event, the crowd chanted "HERE THERE, EVERYWHERE, THE YANKEE WILL DIE!"

nice.

this guy did a public access tv show for years. can't wait to see the highlights.

Load Metric

and you know whats funny...

the number one complaint about bernie is that hes shitty at politics.

"hes hasnt gotten anything done."

i was skeptical but im starting to see it, hes just not rising to the challenge.

he'll have some chances to prove me wrong, which im grateful for.
    what's crazy is that it would have been so easy for him to have distanced himself from his praise of these regimes, but he actually doubled down and repeated it.

his pro-communist china comments weren't even prompted during his town hall, he just volunteered them.

Load Metric
    when i say the opposition research on bernie sanders is endless, i mean it's fucking ENDLESS

apparently bernie went to nicaragua to celebrate the 6th anniversary of the sandinistas taking power and while on stage at this event, the crowd chanted "HERE THERE, EVERYWHERE, THE YANKEE WILL DIE!"

nice.

this guy did a public access tv show for years. can't wait to see the highlights.

a little preview of how bernie plans on addressing this:

Ember: You do recall hearing those chants? I think the wire report has them saying, “Here, there, everywhere, the Yankee will die.”

Sanders: They were fighting against American — Huh huh — yes, what is your point?

Ember: I wanted to —

Sanders: Are you shocked to learn that there was anti-American sentiment?

Ember: My point was I wanted to know if you had heard that.

Sanders: I don’t remember, no. Of course there was anti-American sentiment there. This was a war being funded by the United States against the people of Nicaragua. People were being killed in that war.

Ember: Do you think if you had heard that directly, you would have stayed at the rally?

Sanders: I think Sydney, with all due respect, you don’t understand a word that I’m saying.

guys i'm not sure his angry jew returning soup at a deli routine is going to be an effective counter to these attacks.

Load Metric
    btw you can literally thank bloomberg for all of this hitting the wires now instead of after his coronation. hes the only one doing the heavy lifting because everyone else is hung up on 'unifying the party'.

Load Metric

pretty sure he just said that, pretty sure thats like from just now.

edit: clip has been taken offline, im assuming it was bullshit / old / deepfake.

Comments

blake: rofl
    Last edited by sonatine; 02-25-2020 at 06:50 AM.

Load Metric
    btw you can literally thank bloomberg for all of this hitting the wires now instead of after his coronation. hes the only one doing the heavy lifting because everyone else is hung up on 'unifying the party'.
    This. The DNC isn't even trying to rig this thing. Lame as hell.

Silver
    Load Metric

pretty sure he just said that, pretty sure thats like from just now.
    Just came here to post this. What in the actual fuck?

Thread Information