Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cancel Brexit petition on track to be most popular in UK history

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    the assertion that 'it was democratically decided on the first time' is false at face value; the potentially downsides of a brexit were deliberately obfuscated. literally people had no idea what they were voting for and thats not opinion, its what a lot of brexit voters said once they were explained the economic impact, how its going to impact their ability to move freely throughout europe, and the trade advantages they would be walking away from.
    yeah but nah

i mean mumbles is the only one agreeing with you tine which says it all really

Comments

Belly Buster: also correct

Load Metric
    like i agree the vote was a terrible idea to begin with and it only happened cos cameron the twat knew it was the only way he would get enough of the ukip votes to get elected

then they went and did a piss poor job of convincing people to vote remain and got their shit packed in but its pathetic to see people crying for a second referendum cos they didnt get the result they wanted in the first thats not how it works lol

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    like i agree the vote was a terrible idea to begin with and it only happened cos cameron the twat knew it was the only way he would get enough of the ukip votes to get elected

then they went and did a piss poor job of convincing people to vote remain and got their shit packed in but its pathetic to see people crying for a second referendum cos they didnt get the result they wanted in the first thats not how it works lol
    This is idiotic thinking. The UK leaving the European Union will have a monumental impact of the UK. For the UK government to proceed with leaving the EU with no new deal with the EU because of a relative small majority vote result in a referendum is almost like one of the US states deciding to sever economic and regulatory ties with the rest of the US based on a statewide voter referendum result with a small majority “Yes” result. It may be “democratic” but it’s fucking stupid for the UK government to bind itself to that single result. That’s why the UK government that came to power after Cameron resigned wasn’t able to avoid self-destructing over the issue. And now the new prime minister is taking the unprecendented-in-centuries maneuver of bypassing Parliament to ram through a No-Deal Brexit.

Comments

JACKDANIELS: clueless
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric

Exactly. That's the sort of shit they can only do in places like Belgium.

With some of the bigger EU treaties, in the past some EU member states held referenda on whether to adopt the treaties. Sounds great until some of the great unwashed started voting against them being ratified.

So what did the EU do? Firstly it made the populus vote again (many times, in the case of Ireland, for example). Then when they got bored of losing, they just canned the idea of making states have a referendum and just did what the fuck they like without asking anyone.

And remoaners complain that the the UK government is anti-democratic.

Oh yeah and by the way, if you vote the "right" way the first time, there's no going back for a second bite at the cherry.

Comments

JACKDANIELS: on point
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

This is idiotic thinking. The UK leaving the European Union will have a monumental impact of the UK. For the UK government to proceed with leaving the EU with no new deal with the EU because of a relative small majority vote result in a referendum is almost like one of the US states deciding to sever economic and regulatory ties with the rest of the US based on a statewide voter referendum result with a small majority “Yes” result. It may be “democratic” but it’s fucking stupid for the UK government to bind itself to that single result. That’s why the UK government that came to power after Cameron resigned wasn’t able to avoid self-destructing over the issue. And now the new prime minister is taking the unprecendented-in-centuries maneuver of bypassing Parliament to ram through a No-Deal Brexit.
    It's back to school for you Mumbles.

For sure it will be a big impact. It will likely be net negative for the country for a while. But in the longer term it will be better because the EU is only getting shittier and we can just let them carry on. Your argument is like saying a battered wife should stay with her husband because she's got a nice house to live in, and he only batters her a couple of times a week so that's ok. No. You ship the fuck out, take the financial hit and then rebuid.

The best bit is that Boris Johnson isn't even scared of a general election, because he would likely win, and at the same time he would be able to get rid of the bellends like Ken Clark and Dominic Grieve from his own party that make his job harder. Shit's getting real now.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    if you have a referendum and say:

"ok behind door number one, we remain part of this organization and a bunch of awful people are going to tell us what to do as a nation... and behind door number two we make britain great again and say no to the imperial shackles of globalism"... everyones going to vote for door number two.

but its insincere (deliberately) to the point of fraud, because the obligation to educate people on the real impact of door number two was not properly observed. people voted leave based on shitty memes and zero knowledge of what was at stake.

so yeah, given the ubiquity of the complaints from people who regret voting leave because they were never properly informed about the consequences, a second referendum seems totally reasonable at face value.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    yeah i was living in ireland at the time and can remember the eu making them keep on voting over and over until they got the result they wanted

thats not how democracy is supposed to work

Load Metric
    yeah i was living in ireland at the time and can remember the eu making them keep on voting over and over until they got the result they wanted

yeah but when democracy fails to protect its people from, for example, those who would bring about armageddon so they dont look so fucking stupid for believing fairy tales, then democracy has fumbled its most essential responsibility.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    u ok hun ?

Load Metric

yeah but when democracy fails to protect its people from, for example, those who would bring about armageddon so they dont look so fucking stupid for believing fairy tales, then democracy has fumbled its most essential responsibility.
    Essentially, the British direct democratic experiment called “the Brexit referendum” has broken the British representative democratic institution called “the Parliament”.

How’s that mob-rule-precipitated-dictatorship working out for y’all, Brits?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

So, why not only have one election and then accept that as the permanent will of the people. Would that be democracy also?

If brexit had happened quickly after the advisory referendum then ok, but why we should be bound by an ill informed advisory referendum over three years ago is baffling. It’s just am exercise in masochistic stubbornness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post

So, why not only have one election and then accept that as the permanent will of the people. Would that be democracy also?

If brexit had happened quickly after the advisory referendum then ok, but why we should be bound by an ill informed advisory referendum over three years ago is baffling. It’s just am exercise in masochistic stubbornness.
    Also, why not have a referendum about using a one-time wealth tax to redistribute half of the wealth of anyone worth with a net worth of $50 million? Hell! Make it *all* of their wealth. I mean, that would be democratic, right?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Elections have consequences.

Load Metric
    if you have a referendum and say:

"ok behind door number one, we remain part of this organization and a bunch of awful people are going to tell us what to do as a nation... and behind door number two we make britain great again and say no to the imperial shackles of globalism"... everyones going to vote for door number two.

but its insincere (deliberately) to the point of fraud, because the obligation to educate people on the real impact of door number two was not properly observed. people voted leave based on shitty memes and zero knowledge of what was at stake.

so yeah, given the ubiquity of the complaints from people who regret voting leave because they were never properly informed about the consequences, a second referendum seems totally reasonable at face value.
    Is it also fair to say then “the obligation to educate people on the real impact of joining the EU” wasn’t properly observed because people actualy voted for them to GTFO?

Love “the people are uneducated” but only when I didn’t get the result I like line of thinking.

Load Metric
    LOL...They plan to evacuate the Queen and the rest of the royal family if there is complete chaos and riots over Brexit.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The sooner we leave the better.

I voted to leave and my vote was based on leaving. The fact there may or may not be a deal is irrelevant . This was perfectly clear and I do not feel cheated neither when I voted nor now three years later.

What I do object to is people who lost a democratically elected referendum whining because the vote never went their way AND trying to get another vote. It does not work this way, you don't keep voting until it goes your way...

I absolutely believe there could be some downsides to begin with but believe overall having sovereign rule again without the constant donations to some real shit European nations will be beneficial.

We are an Ireland nation with no physical borders, one of the key financial districts in the world and a healthy economy.

We also retained are own currency which was 100% correct as opposed to using the Euro which they pretend is equal amongst all countries.

The doom mongers have done a great job in creating fear and anger but again this is all part of an active left which is trying so hard to convince that everyone is equal in a very unequal world as well as trying to destroy freedom of speech and expression.

There are many thing I dislike about America and Trump ( NRA being one ) BUT I admire the fact that he wants to do whats best for America and puts America first above all else, this is in my opinion correct.

Anyway I went on a tangent but the point is I voted with my eyes wide open and NOTHING has changed

Load Metric
    let the record show i didnt even vote cos as its been said the amount of info we had to base our decision on was non existent

Load Metric
    if i had to choose now whats the best outcome in hindsight id snap vote say but its too late for that we are gonna leave the people have spoken so lets get it done

Load Metric
    and if for some retarded reason we are made to vote again id snap vote leave cos its already been decided once which is enough for me

Comments

Belly Buster: Snap it off clean

Thread Information