Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cancel Brexit petition on track to be most popular in UK history

Silver
    Load Metric
    60 days till freedom .....
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by YUUP View Post
    60 days till freedom .....

Wondering how long it will be after that when Scotland votes to leave the UK and rejoin the EU.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

It's very difficult to explain Brexit to non-Brits as there's a huge amount of back-story surrounding both sides. As the deadline (currently Oct 31) approaches both sides are engaging in increasingly desperate moves and counter-moves. Having lost the referendum, Remain has employed four basic strategies in increasing order of traction:

1. Since the referendum some old people have died and some young people have turned 18 therefore the result would be different now
    2. Leave told lies and the media was manipulated by Russians/CIA/MI5/billionaires/oligarchs/etc
    3. We need a people's vote #PeoplesVote to ratify the decision
    4. Leave said we'd negotiate a deal with the EU and we haven't therefore this wasn't what people voted for and is not democratic

None of these arguments is particularly cogent or decisive but for a long time (3) seemed the front-runner. After a pointed lack of interest from the Labour Party, however, it has now died away and been replaced by (4). Through clever manipulation by Remain, or just random luck, many people now believe it is imperative that we negotiate a deal with the EU before we can leave. As a Leave voter my attitude has always been to just leave, and we'll work out the details later, but I have to concede that the attempt to split Leave into "Leave but only if we have a deal"/"Just fucking leave" has had some success.

Boris Johnson clearly understands one thing, and one thing only at this point: If Britain leaves the EU on 31 Oct he can win a general election with a huge majority, but, if we don't, the rage of Leave voters will annihilate him. He's already made some masterly metagame moves and Leave seems to be floundering but they certainly have a couple of plays left. The nuclear option, which I expect them to deploy when Parliament resumes, is to force a 'Vote of No Confidence' in the government. Losing that would be the end for most Prime Ministers but ironically in this case it may be exactly what Boris wants. He dissolves Parliament and calls a General Election while remaining PM over the Brexit period and refusing to ask for an extension.

The glimmer of hope for Leave is that after a successful 'Vote of No Confidence' there is a 14 day period when an alternative government can attempt to show they have a Parliamentary majority. Even if every non-Conservative banded together into an alliance they would still be a long way short of this but there are a fair number of disgruntled Conservative MPs who are threatening that they might even side with this alliance. Doing so would be taking a huge personal risk because if they end up on the losing side Boris will not allow them to stand as Conservative candidates in the next election and most would lose their seats.

So, interesting times, I'm still hoping for a spooky Halloween Brexit. I always knew we'd have to fight our way out of the EU tooth and nail, I just didn't expect it to be through so many bodies of our own side. Because both traditional and social media are dominated by Remain voters the overwhelming message most foreign countries will be getting is that leaving the EU is a bad idea. Don't believe it! Most British voters still want to leave and want to see the democratic result of the referendum implemented.

Load Metric
    Johnson loses majority live on TV.

Load Metric
    fun fact, someone did some analysis of retweets of boris' "The referendum result must be respected. We will leave the EU on 31st October. #LeaveOct31" tweet.

tl;dr: a staggering number of the accounts contributing to that tweet cloud have #MAGA in their profile.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    fun fact, someone did some analysis of retweets of boris' "The referendum result must be respected. We will leave the EU on 31st October. #LeaveOct31" tweet.

tl;dr: a staggering number of the accounts contributing to that tweet cloud have #MAGA in their profile.
    The Russians are laughing up how their disruptive social media campaign and dark money political expenditures are working so well to break up the long-established Euro-American alliance against them.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    One hopes that we’re another step closer to remaining

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    I think it's a dead horse, and political suicide for anyone who tries to push it through.

Wonder if an early election is coming, or if the conservatives will be made to stew... the later I feel.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    I think it's a dead horse, and political suicide for anyone who tries to push it through.

Wonder if an early election is coming, or if the conservatives will be made to stew... the later I feel.
    Perhaps this exposition explains why.

Load Metric
    Name:  67289A74-6E4A-4B59-AF92-7DD20BDAAA9E.jpeg
Views: 522
Size:  114.2 KB

Load Metric
    pretty fucking incredible comment from boris johnson's sister, who openly posited that a tremendous amount of pressure to hard brexit is coming from people shorting the pound.

Comments

devidee: Do these people also wear tiny hats?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    pretty fucking incredible comment from boris johnson's sister, who openly posited that a tremendous amount of pressure to hard brexit is coming from people shorting the pound.
    It’s a matter of public record that hard brexiteers have been profiteering. Google Crispin Odey for instance.

While Remain is clearly the best option for the country, an amicable Brexit deal wouldn’t be a terrible outcome, in the circumstances, as we’ve probably scuppered our chances of ever being ab,e to be a functioning EU member.

What would be a terrible outcome is a hard brexit. Those who seek it fall into one of three categories, fucking mongs, evil cunts, or fucking evil mong cunts. Not sure about their headwear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Being reported Brexit is a done deal.

But think a vote is still needed.

Load Metric

Not done yet. Deal agreed by UK and EU, needs to be ratified by both parliaments.

Load Metric

Considering Johnson leads a minority government, hasn't passed a single bill so far, and the DUP will want no part of his new "deal," I'd say there's little chance of this deal passing.

All that has happened is that now Boris can say he tried, blame everyone else, and press on with a no-deal leaving, as appears to have been his plan all along.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 10-17-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Considering Johnson leads a minority government, hasn't passed a single bill so far, and the DUP will want no part of his new "deal," I'd say there's little chance of this deal passing.

All that has happened is that now Boris can say he tried, blame everyone else, and press on with a no-deal leaving, as appears to have been his plan all along.

Boy, this sounds familiar....

Name:  trumprules.gif
Views: 493
Size:  1.63 MB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

The British pound has been on a tear lately because of rumors, and now confirmation, of a deal being struck with the EU. If the UK's parliament rejects it, that should send sterling tumbling again.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Name:  67289A74-6E4A-4B59-AF92-7DD20BDAAA9E.jpeg
Views: 522
Size:  114.2 KB
    Brexit: European leaders agree extension to 31 January
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50205603

Name:  ECFE223B-CEF8-4FB2-BB54-D2C285950D25.jpeg
Views: 454
Size:  50.4 KB

Load Metric
    U.K. to Destroy Commemorative 50p Coins in Brexit Meltdown
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rexit-meltdown

Thousands of 50-pence coins minted to commemorate Brexit on Oct. 31 will be melted down after Prime Minister Boris Johnson accepted an extension from the European Union, two people familiar with the matter said.

U.K. Chancellor of the Exchequer Sajid Javid had announced plans for millions of coins engraved with the date Johnson pledged to leave the bloc, but production was paused last week when it became clear there would be a delay.

The coins were already being minted so they could be put into circulation as soon as the U.K. left the EU.

On Monday, Johnson accepted the EU’s offer of a three-month extension to Jan. 31, and the decision was taken for all the coins to be melted down, according to the people, who asked not to be identified. One of them said hundreds of thousands of the coins had been minted already.

A spokesman for the Treasury said the U.K. will still produce a coin to mark its departure from the EU -- whenever that takes place.

Load Metric
    The dream is dead: Johnson election triumph breaks UK 'remainer' hearts

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1YH0B4

lol

Thread Information