Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodstock50 vs Woodstock lineup

Load Metric

Woodstock50 vs Woodstock lineup

ay 1, Aug. 16: The Killers, Miley Cyrus, Santana, The Lumineers, The Raconteurs, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, John Fogerty, Run the Jewels, The Head and the Heart, Maggie Rogers, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Bishop Briggs, Anderson East, Akon, Princess Nokia, John Sebastian, Melanie, Grandson, Fever 333, Dorothy, Flora Cash, Larkin Poe, Brian Cadd and Ninet Tayeb

Day 2, Aug. 17: Dead & Company, Chance the Rapper, The Black Keys, Sturgill Simpson, Greta Van Fleet, Portugal, The Man, Leon Bridges, Gary Clark Jr., Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, David Crosby and Friends, Dawes, Margo Price, Nahko and Medicine for the People, India.Arie, Jade Bird, Country Joe McDonald, Rival Sons, Emily King, Soccer Mommy, Sir, Taylor Bennett, Amy Helm, Courtney Hadwin, Pearl, John-Robert and IAMDDB

Day 3, Aug. 18: Jay-Z, Imagine Dragons, Halsey, Cage the Elephant, Brandi Carlile, Janelle Monae, Young the Giant, Courtney Barnett, Common, Vince Staples, Judah and the Lion, Earl Sweatshirt, Boygenius, Reignwolf, The Zombies, Canned Heat, Hot Tuna, Pussy Riot, Cherry Glazerr, Leven Kali, The Marcus King Band, Victory, Hollis Brown, John Craigie, Amigo the Devil and Liz Brasher

vs.

http://bettyloumusic.com/woodstock.htm

I'm certainly biased since I was at the original Woodstock, but I don't think that you can compare the quality of the two lineups.

Having said that, I still follow alternative rock plus folk and think that groups like The Lumineers, Boygenius, The Black Keys, and definitely Larkin Poe are solid groups and there are a number of other good performers.

Can't believe that Country Joe McDonald is even alive much less still performing.

Melanie? David Crosby? Canned Heat? John Sebastian? Yikes! It's like Old Timers Day at Fenway Park.

Dead and Company is a natural choice.

I'm not a fan of the genre, but I get the feeling that heavy metal fans won't be happy.

It's tough to compete with the European festival circuit for the top groups.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: At the original rep

Jayjami: OG rep

Load Metric
    Lumineers are amazing
    Crazy you were at the original woodstock. Any stories?

Comments

MumblesBadly: He was one of the babies born there?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Pussy Riot ... lol

Jesus that looks awful

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    Lumineers are amazing
    No, Mumbles, I wasn't born there, but it would be interesting to know how the lives of these soon to be 50-year-olds worked out.

As far as stories, not much, those of us who were there for the music really didn't get to experience the full nudity and general debauchery of Woodstock. You have to remember how novel the concept of being able to see all these great groups at one time was back in the 60's. Much of that kind of action that made Woodstock infamous took place at the ponds where people were swimming and in the woods and fields away from the actual stage and viewing area where people set up makeshift campsites. A number of these people rarely went to the viewing area, if at all. In the venue area there were the occasional nude women or even nude couples dancing to the music plus the constant aroma of weed but nothing too exciting. I kind of get the feeling that nude women running around a 21st Century festival would likely be assaulted. Woodstock had more of a benign ambience probably aided by drug use and the hippy culture of the late 60's.

Comments

MumblesBadly: But how cool would that have been if you *had* been born there!

simply1:

big dick: -

Load Metric
    You couldn't pay me to go to that and have to deal with all of the humanity.

Load Metric
    Wondering if Santana is going to play this classic from the first Woodstock.

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: santana was the best performance in woodstock film by miles

The Shrink: Incorrect is was Joe Cocker.

JohnCommode: Sorry guys, Sly and the Family Stone had the crowd in an absolute frenzy with "I Want to Take You Higher". In no way is this a slight to Carlos and Joe, who were terrific.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Name:  who-would-you-bring-back-for-1-final-concert-michael-28639052.png
Views: 481
Size:  128.4 KB

Comments

1marley1: 'Bob' rep

Daly: The answer is Freddie and then everyone else

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    Name:  who-would-you-bring-back-for-1-final-concert-michael-28639052.png
Views: 481
Size:  128.4 KB
    Dude! So you really have to ask???

Last edited by MumblesBadly; 03-21-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    John Lennon with Elvis being a v v v v v v v v v v v close 2nd

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    Lumineers are amazing
    No, Mumbles, I wasn't born there, but it would be interesting to know how the lives of these soon to be 50-year-olds worked out.

As far as stories, not much, those of us who were there for the music really didn't get to experience the full nudity and general debauchery of Woodstock. You have to remember how novel the concept of being able to see all these great groups at one time was back in the 60's. Much of that kind of action that made Woodstock infamous took place at the ponds where people were swimming and in the woods and fields away from the actual stage and viewing area where people set up makeshift campsites. A number of these people rarely went to the viewing area, if at all. In the venue area there were the occasional nude women or even nude couples dancing to the music plus the constant aroma of weed but nothing too exciting. I kind of get the feeling that nude women running around a 21st Century festival would likely be assaulted. Woodstock had more of a benign ambience probably aided by drug use and the hippy culture of the late 60's.
    Cool story

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Are you against having a good time or something?

Comments

MumblesBadly: His arms are too short to reach around and take the pole out of his ass.

Load Metric
    Hendrix would be my choice if I hadn't seen him on three different occasions. It would be tough for me to choose between Frank and Elvis in their primes.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    hendrix is the correct answer but I'm sad nobody got the joke

Comments

big dick: lolz i didn't even notice that scumbag

JohnCommode: Well played. I skimmed through the list and thought that he was a heavy metal guy that I would never know.

Tellafriend: I got it and laughed so here’s your green

MumblesBadly: Only the NRA would have voted for that nutjob.

Load Metric
    Not at all. I just can’t stand most people (think mumbles + limitless) especially large groups of them.

Load Metric
    whoa dude easy on mumbles it's well know that mumbles is of god like status on pfa

Comments

MumblesBadly: Some would say of cod-like status.

Load Metric
    Not at all. I just can’t stand most people (think mumbles + limitless) especially large groups of them.
    Do you avoid all large social gatherings, as well as concerts?

Sporting events?

Would you skip a wedding reception because people?

What if said reception was open bar?

Would you skip a wake?

What if said wake was open bar?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    hendrix is the correct answer but I'm sad nobody got the joke
    There are only a few moments in my life when I remember exactly where I was, what I was doing at that exact moment I first heard a musical artist. Two of those artists are on this poster, and they're tied for who I'd bring back for a last show: Hendrix and Cobain.

Load Metric
    no open bar at a wake i don't go. Idc who is laying in that casket

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post

Do you avoid all large social gatherings, as well as concerts? Yes, at this point in life. As a younger man it wasn’t as big of a deal.

Sporting events? Yes. Much easier to watch it at a local watering hole and avoid the crowds, traffic and trouble.

Would you skip a wedding reception because people? I’d show up to be seen and have a drink and then haul ass and actually enjoy myself.

What if said reception was open bar? Can’t recall anyone I know that didn’t have an open bar. But I’m not poor.

Would you skip a wake? Never been to one. Is that the same thing as a viewing? If so I will only go if I have to and even then only long enough to be seen. They are dead and life is for the living. I value the people I care about and they know it in life. I am certainly not going to a funeral unless they are within two degrees of continuity.

What if said wake was open bar? See above.

Load Metric
    BREAKING NEWS!

Thread Information