Thread: Best option for iPad 6th generation which works but has cracked screen & other issues?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Best option for iPad 6th generation which works but has cracked screen & other issues?

Benjamin knocked over his iPad today and the screen broke. It's a 6th generation iPad (2018) with 128GB. It also had 2 other problems from before it got dropped.

The good:
    - The iPad turns on and functions normally
    - There is no screen damage under the glass
    - The exterior still looks good
    - Battery life still good

The bad:
    - Glass is badly cracked and it's mostly unusable until that gets fixed
    - Charging port is flaky and it takes about 6 times plugging in and out of the port to get going. However, once it starts charging, it charges normally and at normal speed
    - Top button is stuck

I have to think this has some value beyond a "sell for parts" situation, but obviously less value than a used iPad without the above issues.

I went to Apple's website out of curiosity regarding their trade-in program, and it claimed that my iPad has zero-point-zero value, but they will "recycle it for free" (lol). Then I was given an idiotic feelgood spiel about how I'm helping the environment if I do so. Classic Apple bullshit.

Anyway, I'm not that stupid. Even completely non-functional, these things are worth a nominal amount for parts.

Sell-your-iPad websites are, as you'd expect, laughably bad regarding value.

Anyone have experience in dealing with something like this? What's my best play at this point, given that it's fully functional but has three real problems, two of which are a pretty big deal? Sell as-is on eBay (and disclose the truth)? Negotiate with a local repair shop to do all three of them for cheap? Is there a reputable mail-in shop which will do all 3 of these things for cheap?

I don't feel like buying parts and fixing it myself. I don't have experience doing this, and I don't want to put the effort in to learn.

If I can get away with fixing all 3 things for under $120, I'll do it. Otherwise I want to sell for max value and buy a new one.

Also if any of you want to sell a used 2018 or later iPad, I might consider buying.

Serious responses only, no trolling or junk posts please.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    We have gone though a few iPads and tried various fixes for cracked screens, chargers, buttons, etc.. Honestly, even when you fix it, the fix is normally temporary and then the same problem comes back worse eventually. If there is physical damage to the iPad itself (normally at the corners) the replaced screens especially will start falling off over time and becomes less sensitive to touch.

IMO it really is best just to just get a new iPad with a good case and start fresh. My son has actually gotten more careful with the iPads as he as aged. He is 8 now (I think your son is around the same age), so with a good case the next iPad should likely last a long time.

We just throw away the old junk iPads, but if you can get anything for it go for it.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    You won't get it fixed under 120. The screens are knockoffs from repair shops and not cheap. Sell on ebay probably best.

Load Metric
    If you call Apple support you may be able to make better headway and receive some $ for it if you buy a new one.

Did you have a case on it? We have had a few ipads here and the only time one ever got cracked was when it wasn't in a case.

Load Metric
    Serious question: Have you considered challenging Benjamin to fix the iPad himself using repairs kits that can be found for sale online? I’m guessing that he is already good enough at following instructions from YouTube vids AND has the manual dexterity and perseverance to successfully use those kits to repair it himself. He probably just needs to be nudged with a fatherly challenge to step into that realm.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Awful
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahrahrasputin View Post
    You won't get it fixed under 120. The screens are knockoffs from repair shops and not cheap. Sell on ebay probably best.
    Yeah that's what I'm going to do.

I'm aware the screens at repair shops kinda suck.

After making this post, I priced out used-but-good-condition iPads of Ben's model, and saw they are going for like $225. So that's probably the actual value of the thing right now if I were to fix it all. Since I can't fix it for under $120, I might as well just sell it.

Believe it or not, it's still worth over $100 (though not much over $100), just because it's a functional iPad. Someone who can do these repairs themselves can extract some good value out of buying it from me, especially if they already have spare parts around. So that's likely who's buying it from me.

After that I will probably buy a new iPad, like a 7th generation one. I see I can get it for about $380+tax from a reputable seller.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, I sold it on eBay. Got a little over $110. I charged $10 for shipping (on top of that) which was a mistake. You can't ship an iPad like this for $10 or anywhere close to that. Oops.

Between the expensive shipping, the eBay fees, and the PayPal fees, I ended up clearing only about $80-$85.

Oh well. Not much I could have done with that thing anyway, and it was way too expensive to fix for what it was worth.

Again, if anyone has a 7th Generation iPad or an iPad Air 3rd Generation you'd like to sell, let me know.

Thread Information