Thread: The eBay SNAD Scam (How To Get Anything For Free Off eBay)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The eBay SNAD Scam (How To Get Anything For Free Off eBay)

just searching the web trying to find cases on how the sellers got fycked on ebay/paypal...found this beaut.

http://www.terminaldigit.com/2009/12...free-off-ebay/

The eBay SNAD Scam (How To Get Anything For Free Off eBay)

Just got burned by this, so I thought I’d let folks know.

The scam is simple and hinges on 2 key elements:
    1.eBay “seller protection” doesn’t protect against this (or much else, for that matter).
    2.eBay recently changed its policies to prevent anyone from leaving negative feedback ratings for buyers. Buyers can only be good people. Obviously.

And the scam itself goes like this (from the buyer’s/scammer’s perspective):
    1.Buy something from some unfortunate person on eBay.
    2.After it arrives, file a dispute stating the item was significantly not as described (SNAD), the seller isn’t working with you to resolve the issue, and ask Customer Support to resolve the case.
    3.Wait a few days for Customer Support to decide in your favor. They will always decide in your favor for a SNAD case. They are well-trained monkeys.
    4.You’ll get a refund and be asked to ship the item back to the seller. Send them a box of rocks instead; eBay doesn’t care much.

eBay used to be a halfway decent place to sell your stuff, but clearly those days have passed. I’m not a regular seller, and I only got burned for a small-value item (barely worth the time it took to write this post), but the next time I clean out my closet, I’ll take it elsewhere. Honestly, I wonder why anyone still sells there in this environment.

6 Comments

Tannsa25

10 June 2010

Yeah im getting burnt in a similar situation. I sold an iphone to someone in Israel. They claim customs opened the package and they sent me pictures (before i even asked for them) of a open box saying customs opened it. So I’m just realizing saying Customs opened it leave me liable because Paypal consider it still my item until he get the product. They don’t care if you sold 100 iphone without no problems they will always side with the buyer but I pay fees for selling and get treat like sh*t. A lady from paypal told me hey you choose to become a seller this type of stuff happens. No you do everything right to prevent this from happening. I was looking online about snad disputes and someone had the exact same story I had but paypal wont look at this and think maybe the buyer is getting over. My best bet right now is to call his Customs and see what happen.

Bob Barker

5 November 2010

Same shit is happening to me as well. I have impeccable feedback and now some broken English speaking foreigner is trying to win on me by filing a SNAD claim with GayPal.

Mrflashcoataol

9 November 2010

Correct but there are even better ways with the new Buyer Protection Nonsense..sellers don’t have a chance..Anyone can get anything free on ebay and now WITH the sellers blessings..email me and I will be happy to show you..Become a part of the downfall of this evil empire..

Not a paypal

8 December 2010

I am going through this right now. I had no idea and am very much shocked and depressed. This was a rare vintage item. The buyer claimed SNAD one day after recieveing it. Also claimed I did not respond to his complaint. Wow, he gave me one whole day… It was a Saturday and I had waited almost a month to receive payment… He received the item three days after making payment. I had no idea anything was wrong until I logged into paypal on Monday morning! He flat out refused 100% refund upon returning the item which he still has. If it is SNAD, why keep it and refuse a full refund? He wanted 50% refund. Basically he wanted the item for next to nothing while he already got a major bargain. He even complained about the clearly stated shipping cost $10.00 actual shipping cost $7.25… before packaging, tape, gas, etc… In the five seconds it took this guy to publically slander me, my 7 year, 100% feed rate went to 80%! Of course his feedback is still 100% because you can not leave neg fb even for a buyer who deserves it! Today’s ebay and ebay’s new baby paypal sucks! Can you say conflict of interest?

I will be contacting the BBB, the attorney general, the FBI with a scam alert, etc… I may have lost out on this deal but I will never take it sitting down! We need to collectively find a way to fight back!

David

19 January 2011

Same here. Sold a personal TivoHD, guy gets it and claims SNAD same day. He sends it back, but did an absolutely horrible packaging job and it got damaged in transit. When we got it, we find the power cord was still zip-tied and unused. We emailed the buyer, and his response was: “I used the power cord of my existing Tivo. ”

Who in their right mind tries to use a completely different power cord on an electronic? Then, due to his own incompetence, he could not make it work. This unit was not SNAD, he just never used the proper power cable for it. Of course, he got his money back 100% and now we have a damaged unit that we cannot sell. WTF? How is this even legal?

Alan

29 June 2011

When I used to sell on eBay, I was the victim of a SNAD scam many times, at least 5.
    One such example was a buyer who waited about 7 days to make payment, then finally after payment was received it was shipped out same day. When the buyer got the item, they told me that it was broken and unusable. I knew this was absolutely not true, because I tested it right before sending it out. Next thing i know the buyer demands a refund and threatens to leave negative feedback if I do not comply. So, realizing it would only hurt my credibility if I was to not refund them, I issued a full refund. After sending them a full refund, I see that they have still left negative feedback. At this point I was fuming. I send them an email asking when they left negative and ther flimsy excuse was, I left it before you refunded me, even know just hours before the buyer said they would not leave negative if I refund it. So I sent them a feedback revision request, which they promptly either deleted or just ignored and clanked they never got it. I have a feeling they knew that sellers are limited to around 3 feedback revisions a month, so he was just kicking me left and right. At this point, I stopped communication with the buyer and contacted eBay. I explained to them that this buyer was using extortion as a means to obtain my item for no cost. Around a day later, eBay removes the negative feedback, although I never received the money back. All this hassle for a $7.00 item. That is exactly why I do not sell on eBay any more

Load Metric
    Couldn't you just put this shit in your other Ebay thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    Couldn't you just put this shit in your other Ebay thread?
    would it have been better as an 'is this true' thread

Thread Information