Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I jailbreak my Iphone?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

How do I jailbreak my Iphone?

When I go away to Vegas or hiking trips this could come in handy. For 1 there is no internet available in most of the rooms if I crash @ a hotel in the mountains. And Vegas charges like 15 -20 a night for service.

How do I go about jailbreaking my Iphone to avoid these fees?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    http://forums.imore.com/jailbreak-unlock-forum/

Good place for info.

Do NOT upgrade to ios 5.1 if you plan to jailbreak

It is completely reversible, I am by no means a tech expert and I got it done

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    When I go away to Vegas or hiking trips this could come in handy. For 1 there is no internet available in most of the rooms if I crash @ a hotel in the mountains. And Vegas charges like 15 -20 a night for service.

What iPhone do you have? It's a different process for different versions of the phone.

I waited to get a 4S until I could jailbreak it (which was in late January).

Tell me which type you have, and I'll give you some instructions from there.

And the last poster was right. Do NOT upgrade your OS to 5.1.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

What iPhone do you have? It's a different process for different versions of the phone.

I waited to get a 4S until I could jailbreak it (which was in late January).

Tell me which type you have, and I'll give you some instructions from there.

And the last poster was right. Do NOT upgrade your OS to 5.1.
    Where do I look on the phone to see what version I have?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    mine says Software version 5.01

says there is a newer version 5.1 to upgrade to as well

Am I screwed?

Also my volume is whacked since I went to this version. It will just go up and down on its own at certain times whether I am playing something or if the phone is just sitting on its own chilling on my desk

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    No, I mean what kind of iPhone do you have? 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S?

Load Metric
    Ok, please enlighten me. Why would "jailbraking" save you those $'s in charges?? Though the wife has an iphone 4, I haven't paid much attention to it. Obviously, I haven't been keeping up to date with its capabilities.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Out View Post
    Ok, please enlighten me. Why would "jailbraking" save you those $'s in charges?? Though the wife has an iphone 4, I haven't paid much attention to it. Obviously, I haven't been keeping up to date with its capabilities.
    you can tether your laptop to your phone...using data from your service provider that you are already paying for.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He's talking about tethering/hotspotting.

Right now, AT&T charges you an arm and a leg MONTHLY to do it, and iPhones 3G and 3GS don't even have that capability enabled.

If you jailbreak your phone, you can download an app for $5 (one time charge), and can do it for free for the rest of the life of your phone.

He's trying to say that he's sick of being ripped off for expensive hotel internet service, as well as not being able to access the net at all while in the mountains (where you usually stay in a cabin or condo, and there's often no internet service you can buy.)

I have found this to be quite useful. I even once used it in the middle of the desert when there was an attack happening on DD. I got a text about it, puled off to the side of the road, got my laptop out of the trunk, tethered the internet connection, and put a stop to the bombing of the forum.

Load Metric
    Ok, I get it now. Along with the wife's iphone & my blackberry, we have a Verizon netbook (win 7) that we use when traveling for wireless internet (not wifi.) Verizon's coverage in the northwest is amazing, it's fast, and there's not been many out of the way spots that we have found where there hasn't been a signal. Of course, we pay a monthly fee for this convenience. Jailbreaking the iphone and tethering the netbook may be a very cost effective solution. It would save maybe $50/month.

OT: after using her iphone a bit, my next cell will be an iphone--not a blackberry. The difference in useability is huge.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Model number is MC137LL and after doing some googling it looks like it is a 32GB iPhone 3GS

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    He's talking about tethering/hotspotting.

Right now, AT&T charges you an arm and a leg MONTHLY to do it, and iPhones 3G and 3GS don't even have that capability enabled.

If you jailbreak your phone, you can download an app for $5 (one time charge), and can do it for free for the rest of the life of your phone.

He's trying to say that he's sick of being ripped off for expensive hotel internet service, as well as not being able to access the net at all while in the mountains (where you usually stay in a cabin or condo, and there's often no internet service you can buy.)

I have found this to be quite useful. I even once used it in the middle of the desert when there was an attack happening on DD. I got a text about it, puled off to the side of the road, got my laptop out of the trunk, tethered the internet connection, and put a stop to the bombing of the forum.

You can tether the 3GS but it has to be hardwired through a USB cord though to work cause I did it with my old 3GS (on a 4s now) unlike the 4 and the 4s where you can use it as a wireless hotspot/mifi device.. (what sucked was I did this and I found out a week later my wife went and bought a mifi so I got screwed by changing my data plan to allow tethering when I didnt need to and once ya give up unlimited data with AT&T its GONE FOREVER!!

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Model number is MC137LL and after doing some googling it looks like it is a 32GB iPhone 3GS
    ok the 3GS is tetherable but you have to use the USB charging/tethering cord with it to use it as a modem. As far as jailbreaking I defer to Druff or others for that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Pokeremtdj, when I said that 3G/3GS didn't have that feature available, I didn't mean that it was impossible to tether.

I meant that, for non-jailbroken phones, you couldn't buy that service from AT&T even if you wanted it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I need to know what version of the software you have.

Go to your phone Settings, select General - > About, and look for "Version", and report it here.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Go to your phone Settings, select General - > About, and look for "Version", and report it here.
    I'm interested also. I have the 4S but I just noticed the Version is 5.1. Can I still jailbreak? If I can still do it are you sure I can restore back to normal?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodpoop View Post

I'm interested also. I have the 4S but I just noticed the Version is 5.1. Can I still jailbreak? If I can still do it are you sure I can restore back to normal?
    From what I've heard, you can't jailbreak 5.1 right now on a 4S.

My 4S has 5.0.1 and is jailbroken, but I won't upgrade. Just stop upgrading and eventually you'll be able to jailbreak it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

5.0.1 (9a405)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

5.0.1 (9a405)
    http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/jai...5-0-1-windows/

Follow instructions carefully.

Let me know if you have any questions.

This will NOT work if you have an iPhone 4S.

Thread Information