Thread: My Twitter question about O8 tournament hand brought out many top poker players to weigh in

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

My Twitter question about O8 tournament hand brought out many top poker players to weigh in

The scene: I was playing the $1100 O8 event at the Commerce LAPC yesterday, and we were fairly deep into the event. About 70% of the field was gone, and they pay top 12.5%.

I was below average in chips with about 57k total. I put 2k into the SB, as we were playing 2k/4k blinds and 4k/8k limit.

7-handed table.

Two average players (not tight, not loose) raised and 3-bet from UTG and UTG+1.

Folded to me, where I was in SB and had to put in 10k more to call. I only had 55k behind. I held AhQhQs4h.

I considered calling and seeing the flop. After all, I had a high pair, A4, and hearts. Lots of ways to possibly win. But I feared that the queens would be too weak to clal down without improving and the A4 low would be dominated. Worst yet, I'd have to put in nearly 20% of my stack in, out of position, to see that flop.

I folded.

Flop came Q23. Not only would I have won, I would have taken down a monster pot.

I ended up busting seven from the money in the tournament. That hand was bugging me... but was I being results oriented? I kept telling myself I did the right thing.

So I posed the question to Twitter:

The responses were mostly unanimous that I did the right thing.

And then Melissa Burr entered the conversation...

Melissa is a well-known winning high stakes mix game player, but she's not really into tournaments, so I think she tailored her advice too much to cash.

Andrew Barber questioned it:

Then Eric Crain got involved, stating that even he would have folded the AQQ4, despite his notoriously loose play:

UK poker star Benny Glaser agreed with the fold:

And when Mark Gregorich speaks about O8, you listen:

Finally, Matt Glantz offered this sage piece of advice:

Needless to say, that's a lot of discussion from a lot of big names, all about a poker hand before the money in a rather inconsequential Commerce tournament!

Platinum
    Load Metric
    man that's a tough one...the only reason I would think about folding this is because it's UTG and UTG+1 dynamic...haven't played a ton of O8 live like I have online, but I know O8 players tend to skew nittier live...plus the fact you are in the SB doesn't help...I think id be more inclined to actually call on the button since it would be easier to navigate to showdown in position...I kinda liked the 4 bet thought as it was the first thing that came to mind, but in limit I just don't think it accomplishes anything because you aren't getting either player to fold and you are just bloating the pot in the SB where even if you are a top top top O8 player it's gonna be tough to navigate to showdown in a tourney spot...you can definitely tell Melissa plays cash and not tourneys...she's got the right thought on the 4 bet in cash...

I just hate folding nut sootedness and a big pair...granted I play a lotta showdown NLO8 and those hands showdown so well against most shoving ranges...

Thread Information