Thread: Jews of PFA

Load Metric

Jews of PFA

Just found out my uncles ex-wife passed. She’s the mother of all my cousins, so I’ll have to attend and it’s about a 5 hour drive . I’ve did the shiva thing, but it’s always been local and it’s been years and I can’t remember the timeframe. I know you do your funerals on speed dial. What’s the modern practice? 24 hours? 48? Is this shit definitely going down this weekend or has that became more lax in the modern era? This just happened within the hour so I haven’t got any info beyond she has passed and I’m needing to rearrange a bunch of plans if it’s going to be quick. Her family are definitely observant Jews. Pretty traditional.

Comments

devidee: Way to draw them out, bro

Load Metric
    Sorry for your loss.

The more observant they are the more likely she is going to be buried very quickly. Especially if they're Orthodox or Hasidic. Sunday is my guess, because we don't bury or mourn on Shabbat. If they are Reform or Conservative they may wait a bit especially if they have the mishpoche coming in from places out of town.

Best bet is contact someone who will know the arrangements, and be prepared to move quickly.

"The memory of the righteous shall be for a blessing." Z"L

Comments

BCR:

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Sorry for your loss.

The more observant they are the more likely she is going to be buried very quickly. Especially if they're Orthodox or Hasidic. Sunday is my guess, because we don't bury or mourn on Shabbat. If they are Reform or Conservative they may wait a bit especially if they have the mishpoche coming in from places out of town.

Best bet is contact someone who will know the arrangements, and be prepared to move quickly.

"The memory of the righteous shall be for a blessing." Z"L
    Not orthodox or Hasidic. I don’t know how I’d phrase it. She wasn’t a particularly religious woman but the family goes through the motions by a modern standard. Thanks for the information and for your condolences. I love my cousins. It’s a tremendous loss for them. I’ll attend for them. I haven’t seen much of their mother in the past twenty years outside weddings and such, so much less for me.

I was kind of thinking Sunday felt probable. I have to cancel some hotel reservations elsewhere and I’ll wait to get more info later before booking one that way.

Thread Information