Thread: Bryn Kenney buys a tournament win at Aussie Millions

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Bryn Kenney buys a tournament win at Aussie Millions

Bryn Kenney is an accomplished high limit tournament player, but that didn't stop him from resorting to buying a title at the Aussie Millions.

Here's part of the report from calvinayre.com:

Hinrichsen – 15,365,000
    Kenney – 4,870,000
    Del Vecchio – 4,830,000

With three players left, Del Vecchio took the chip lead when his quad sixes got maximum value from Hinrichsen, who was unfortunate enough to river a straight. Then Kenney then scrapped and scraped his way into a chip lead that would change hands over the next hundred hands, until the three sat down and negotiated a deal, turning the conclusion of the most prestigious tournament in the Southern Hemisphere into a damp squib.

Kenney wouldn’t budge.

He wanted the win.

The pair gave it to him.

The $923,269 that Kenney collected means he’s now earned $26,623,758 in live tournament earnings, good enough for a ninth place finish. Dan Smith drops out of the Top 10, and Phil Ivey takes tenth – only another $19m to go, Bryn.

Final Table Results

1. Bryn Kenney – $923,269*
    2. Mike Del Vecchio – $922,953*
    3. Andrew Hinrichsen – $796,410*
    4. Clinton Taylor – $350,417
    5. Mathew Wakeman – $275,908
    6. Gyeong Byeong Lee – $224,180
    7. Hamish Crawshaw – $175,571
    https://calvinayre.com/2019/02/04/po...tz-takes-100k/

Most notably, Kenney had fewer than 20% of the chips 3-handed, AND he didn't knock out a single person at the final table, yet was awarded both the title and the most prize money, just slightly more than #2.

I always felt that this form of "deal making" should never be allowed, and that the winner always should have the highest amount of chips when play ends.

About exactly a year ago, Mike Leah won a title through obvious chip-dumping heads up. Leah took a ton of heat for this at the time, but eventually the furor died down.

On a much smaller stage and a long time ago, I was at a final table where this happened, though I was out of the tournament by that point. In that case, Liz Lieu bought a title when holding 40% of the chips heads up, because the title was important to getting sponsorships, and her opponent was an unknown software engineer from northern CA, and just wanted the money. I called that one out, both because it bothered me and because Lieu had mistreated me a few weeks prior at a cash game.

Load Metric
    Define "bought a title" so what's the rip here he turns around and hands more prize money to the other two?

Load Metric
    If I'm 3 handed in the above situation and can negotiate myself to the deal he got, fucking right I'm making that deal every time. If the other guys are that dumb, so be it. But I'm not sure that's what happened exactly.

This line: "Most notably, Kenney had fewer than 20% of the chips 3-handed, AND he didn't knock out a single person at the final table, yet was awarded both the title and the most prize money, just slightly more than #2" appears to be incorrect.

https://www.pokernews.com/tours/auss...ips.256124.htm

Looks like this is what it was. Kenney was about 2 BB under Del Vecchio. He wasnt the leader obv, but he had way more than 20% of the chips. He had a bit more than a third of them.

Mike Del Vecchio us 9,315,000
    Bryn Kenney us 8,890,000
    Andrew Hinrichsen au 6,505,000

Load Metric
    At one point he was 3/3 in chips...how is that even relevant? He chopped 3 handed and seems to have gotten the best deal....calm down Druff.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    At one point he was 3/3 in chips...how is that even relevant? He chopped 3 handed and seems to have gotten the best deal....calm down Druff.
    I misread the calvinayre.com article, which frankly wasn't very good. Why not mention in the article the chip count at the time of the chop?

This turned out to not be nearly as bad as I thought, but my point stands that nobody should ever be awarded a title unless they lead in chips.

Comments

duped_samaritan: fair

Load Metric
    At the EPT you have to leave a % of the prize pool to be played for. Might be a good fix for this.

Comments

JohnCommode: Unlike that "higher rake is better" thing, Poker Stars got this one right.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Its still not clear what actually happened. Are you saying they made a deal where Kenney was awarded first place in the tourney and the most money despite not even having the most chips at the time?

If that is the case I assume this happened because he was less desperate to secure a big payday (or at least he gave the impression that was the case) than the other players and was able to use this to leverage a favorable deal for himself?

If that is the case, I am not sure the thread title is fair. If deals like this are allowed, then skill in dealmaking should not be disparaged. If you have problem with this, you should request the rules be changed.

Comments

duped_samaritan:

Load Metric
    No big deal because almost none of the general public cares about poker but it does prove that youth is indeed wasted on the young. What is the true value of a purchased title and what does it say about yourself?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Years and years and years ago I was talking to an old school poker player named Stan Goldstein. I don't remember the exact details, but he said at some point in the 90s before the poker boom he admitted that he was heads up for a WSOP bracelet and he made a deal to tank to get 2nd place. If I remember correctly the other person cared more about the bracelet than the money, and offered Stan a deal to tank he couldn't refuse.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Years and years and years ago I was talking to an old school poker player named Stan Goldstein. I don't remember the exact details, but he said at some point in the 90s before the poker boom he admitted that he was heads up for a WSOP bracelet and he made a deal to tank to get 2nd place. If I remember correctly the other person cared more about the bracelet than the money, and offered Stan a deal to tank he couldn't refuse.
    Only 2nd place Stan Goldstein I can find:
    Name:  Screenshot_20190217-143510_Chrome.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  691.3 KB

Your boy?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Yeah. Thats him. His other claim to fame was coming in 2nd place to Ben Affleck in some big tourney. He wasn't talking to me, but I overheard Stan talking about it at the table once. My recollection is he said Affleck actually played good and deserved to win.

As an aside back in the 2000s Barbara Enright was a pretty big name tourney donk and used to come to town during big tourneys and play live games when she busted out. vI played with her a few times, and recall she was just hyper aggressive but couldn't lay down a hand when she was beat. Super live and drawing dead in cash games, although I could see how she could run over a table in a tourney, especially back then when the players weren't as good.

Thread Information