Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The AAF (Alliance of American Football) a new pro football league kicks off today!

Load Metric

The AAF (Alliance of American Football) a new pro football league kicks off today!

This league is actually being very hyped, and is being supported by extremely capable people on all fronts. It has big name coach's such as Mike Singletary, Steve Spurrier, Mike Martz, Rick Neuheusel, Darryl 'Moose' Johnston, and Dennis Erickson to name a few. Also Mike Vick is the offensive Coordinator of the Atlanta team which I find interesting. Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian are two of the co-founders so the league it is not short on expertise and powerful and influential people from both the NFL and television. Games are going to be aired on CBS, TNT, and NFL network and will be on Saturdays and Sundays starting tonight. Its a 10 week season and the league has 8 teams.

Some notable players are Trent Richardson, Aaron Murray, Denard Robinson, Matt Asiata, Zac Stacy, Will Hill, Bishop Sankey, Christian Hackenburg, Zack Mettenburger, Garrett Gilbert just to name a few. So there is talent and some young talent which is sort of the catalyst of the league. Its a place to give players a chance to revive their career and possibly make it back to the NFL, or if nothing more offer opportunity for others to play professional football for a few years more. Ive seen it refereed to as a Last Chance U. (Netflix Doc.) of sorts for some, as well as a stepping stone for a possible nother' opportunity to get back into the NFL for other players. Others are saying what JUCO (junior college) is to Division I football this new AAF will be to the NFL.

A couple interesting facts I learned, there will be no extra points only 2pt conversions, no kickoffs teams start with the ball on the 20 yard line and less commercials. The broadcasters are going to be Tiki Barber, Marvin Lewis, and another guy imnot familiar with. In my opinion this league is going to succeed. The league will be a success I believe and really am looking forward to it.

Betting is available on the games, as well as futures odds. Most books including the Westgate superbook have lines up, so should be fun. There is a site to run fantasy football leagues as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/a...otball-league/

https://twitter.com/TheAAF

Comments

LegalizeMeth: I'll give it a shot

ftpjesus: Wonder how Vince McMahon feels about his buddy in the original XFL Ebersol giving him the finger so to speak.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Could be a good situation for QBs to develop. I could see a couple of those QBs getting another shot in the league if they play well.

Unlike QBs, there is plenty of chances for RBs to show if they belong in the NFL or not. All those RBs already had their shot, and are out of the league because they aren't very good. I don't see any of those guys making it back in the league, but might be a way to make a living, so can't fault them for that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    AAWful name

Load Metric
    sounds like the nfl is trying to sabotage the new xfl

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsSatire View Post
    sounds like the nfl is trying to sabotage the new xfl
    Well in AAF Defense wasn’t it announced before XFL as they got things up and running for this year. XFL won’t be back till 2020. Side note Arizona Hot Shots are early favs followed by their first opponent tomorrow night Salt Lake. So may see a preview of the title game right off the bat. Tickets aren’t bad price wise. 40-50yd line range are around $50 if your on the side opposite the home team. Home sidelines are around 60-70 on TM and Stubhub. AZ is playing st the ASU stadium in Tempe so mass transit accessible.

Load Metric
    All America Football Conference
    American Football league
    World Football League
    United State Football League
    Xtreme Football League
    and now the Alliance Football League

The AAFC had 3 teams absorbed into the NFL
    only the AFL survived to merge with the NFL
    the others lasted a season or two then folded

good luck, history is not on their side
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Seems a mistake to choose teams in Arizona and Atlanta over cities with no teams.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Was playing a home poker tourney and the San Diego vs San Antonio game was on...it was decent but I had no rooting interest whatsoever.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't know much about this AAF, and I honestly don't have much interest in it, though I do wonder if it might bring about some +EV betting opportunities.

I do wonder why there are so many attempts to create NFL alternatives, even in the offseason.

In general, people aren't that interested in seeing a lesser group of players compete.

I'm a huge MLB fan, and I really miss the sport in the winter, but I wouldn't be interested in seeing some MLB knockoff league during that time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    No, but huge TV contract numbers for sports and live events make them a much bigger favorite than the others. With the explosion of everyone opening up sports networks and online portals like ESPN+, DAZN, CBSSN, etc the AAF is likely getting more than enough money from Turner, CBS, and the NFL Network to make a handsome profit the first few years no matter how bad it goes.

Load Metric
    I’m down with yearlong football. As long as the 3 leagues don’t step on each other’s toes.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I don't know much about this AAF, and I honestly don't have much interest in it, though I do wonder if it might bring about some +EV betting opportunities.

I do wonder why there are so many attempts to create NFL alternatives, even in the offseason.

In general, people aren't that interested in seeing a lesser group of players compete.

I'm a huge MLB fan, and I really miss the sport in the winter, but I wouldn't be interested in seeing some MLB knockoff league during that time.
    Well, if this were true college football wouldn't be the second most popular spectator sport in the country (I am actually not sure this is true, but the sentiment it is very popular is obviously true).

That being said, for whatever reason there doesn't seem to be an appetite for football beyond college football and NFL, for whatever reason. I admit I was vaguely aware the league started yesterday, yet I had zero interest in watching any of the games, or even betting on them. Cant even explain why. Shrug.

Load Metric
    I watched the San Deigo / San Antonio game last night...there were a number of tech innovations in the broadcast, and undoubtedly the NFL & College will have to upgrade their broadcasts to keep pace

and when I was younger, I would have gone ape for the additional insight those changes offer...but not now
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Won’t last in a lot of ways. Can’t have everyone talking about CTE and then have these jokers paying .10 on the dollar and allowing people to decapitate them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Won’t last in a lot of ways. Can’t have everyone talking about CTE and then have these jokers paying .10 on the dollar and allowing people to decapitate them.

How many shitty MMA leagues are there?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Well, if this were true college football wouldn't be the second most popular spectator sport in the country (I am actually not sure this is true, but the sentiment it is very popular is obviously true).

That being said, for whatever reason there doesn't seem to be an appetite for football beyond college football and NFL, for whatever reason. I admit I was vaguely aware the league started yesterday, yet I had zero interest in watching any of the games, or even betting on them. Cant even explain why. Shrug.
    Disagree. College football is different in that many supporters are school alumni. That allegiance is for life, even if you aren't the biggest sports fan.
    And there is still an ounce of innocence with the still unproven stars as they progress.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    All America Football Conference
    American Football league
    World Football League
    United State Football League
    Xtreme Football League
    and now the Alliance Football League

The AAFC had 3 teams absorbed into the NFL
    only the AFL survived to merge with the NFL
    the others lasted a season or two then folded

AAF has one thing going for it the others didn’t which was direct involvement of the NFL (you left out the WLAF or As it later became known NFL Europe and also had NFL involvement). Those others were directly antagonistic and sought to screw with the NFL head to head. Somebody pointed out it’s kinda like the G League for the NFL. The Arena League was sometimes a way back for guys to prove themselves but it’s all but dead now itself so I suspect that was why the NFL got behind the AAF. Time will tell they may end up being a bit of a laboratory for future NFL rules and operations as well. Already last weekend they caught a few calls that even weren’t flagged and were corrected by an off field zebra who was able to see like an eye on the sky. I’m betting The Saints wished that was in effect a few weeks back.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

How many shitty MMA leagues are there?
    Well probably several promotions we’ve never heard of. Until MMA somehow grows to the point where it’s like Boxing in that guys aren’t tied solely to one Promotion to fight not much will change. Boxers are able to negotiate purses and fights as they wish. Yes many are promoted by groups like Golden Boy etc but the sanctioning bodies control the titles. What needs to happen is for MMA to get to that point where UFC Bellatr and the rest have to openly compete to get guys to fight for their titles without being tied to fight only for that one organization. It’s why MMA retains the look of pro wrestling in that regard where guys are stuck with WWE or AEW etc and that’s fake shit so it’s different but at the same time similar. Especially after the assraping UFC did of its fighters entire stable banning guys outside sponsorship. That was a monster step backwards for the fighters and the sport as a whole in my estimation. I think changes will happen it won’t be tomorrow or the next but eventually we will see UFC Bellator and others changing how they operate. They’ll be forced eventually and then we will see truly who the best Heavyweight is with a Unification Fight for both titles or a third even.

Load Metric
    AAF Needed $250 Million Investment to Avoid Missing Payroll

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/19/aa...don-investment

According to a report from The Athletic, the AAF despite a good ratings debut, was running low on cash with the possiblity of missing payroll before its second weekend of play.

But then Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon stepped up and made a $250 million investment in the league. With the new infusion of funds on hand, Dundon will reportedly be named the league's new chairman on Tuesday. Dundon paid $420 million for the Hurricanes in January 2018.
    Dundon was also named the new Chairman of the league for his generous investment.

Load Metric
    And it's gone.

Less than two months after the AAF's inaugural season began:

Suspension of operations
    On April 2, 2019, the AAF suspended all football operations, apparently on AAF chairman Tom Dundon's orders. Players found out about the suspension through the Internet before their coaches confirmed the news. Players were evicted from the hotels where they were being housed and required to pay their own fare to return home. The AAF formally confirmed the suspension and released all players from their contracts on April 4.

If the AAF reaches its second season, it will find itself in direct competition with a revived XFL, which is announced to begin play in 2020

I'm starting to think their isn't a viable 2nd pro league for this sport in the USA. You need ridiculously deep pockets. Good Luck to the XFL in 2020.

Thread Information