Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ebay's mgmt is running company into the ground

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    look at it this way. if you can buy an item at 70% off and resell it it this is how it goes.

lets say it's a 320.oo north face jacket

u pay 100 for it...there will be some dickhead(s) w/ the same item on ebay for 150..(some get a better deal thru lower ebay fees/rebate).and if and after u sell at that price ebay takes 15 bux..paypal takes 5/6...and it will cost 15 dollars to send a 4lb coat through the mail.....so right there ur looking at a 15.oo profit..and if the winning bidder sees that he can get the item less then what he paid through you and ebay he'll file a dispute to get his $$ back..and then you will also lose ur shipping money..and possibly get ur item back in bad condition.

there's no good and plenty in this...and even if u do volume the potential headaches are severe,,and will almost alway 100% work against the seller.

there's always some jackass willing to work for 1.oo hr profit on ebay..fucking up profits for others
    Everyone I know that sells on Ebay(I know quite a few big and small sellers) including me has at least one horror story involving paypal. You have to learn all the ins and outs of the rules and if you follow them closely you are better protected than you think. This hasn't always been the case. The benifit of the doubt is given to the buyer but after much abuse by buyers if you stick to the letter of the law your ok. I had much the same outlook you do but kept trying anyway and have found by experience that its not now as tilted as you seem to think.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdwst Hstlr View Post

OK, so there are lots of ways to answer that. Lets say your paying around 15% in fees. For me, I dont know another place to sell at the prices I can on Ebay that charges less and if I had a store my overhead would be much more.
    If you have a more specific question, shoot.
    don't delude urself into thinking ebay's fees is "the cost to do business" you're looking at things the wrong way..

ebay fees use to be 2% then 5% 6% 8% and now 10%

ebay would lie to sellers about things as well. remember when they started lowering insertion fees and increasing final value fees..lol..i loved that snoball....they tried to pass that off as a + for the seller and that they were doing you a favor..they did this a few times to get where they are now
    You are 100% right about how they hiked all the fees and how they spin there presentation of the hikes and the one that burns me up is charging final value fees on shipping(doesn't even seem legal to do this).
    It boils down to the fact that they can charge these fees now because of what have grown into and it probably is a fair rate. Please don't think I like it. Many people around me will tell you its not fun to be around me when I start cussing about the rising fees. I don't think the fees on shipping are fare at all. The feedback system is a complete fail.

But i don't delude myself....It is "the cost to do business". Thats is just a fact of life. If you take stuff to an auction house. You'll most often pay more in fees.

Load Metric

don't delude urself into thinking ebay's fees is "the cost to do business" you're looking at things the wrong way..

ebay would lie to sellers about things as well. remember when they started lowering insertion fees and increasing final value fees..lol..i loved that snoball....they tried to pass that off as a + for the seller and that they were doing you a favor..they did this a few times to get where they are now
    You are 100% right about how they hiked all the fees and how they spin there presentation of the hikes and the one that burns me up is charging final value fees on shipping(doesn't even seem legal to do this).
    It boils down to the fact that they can charge these fees now because of what have grown into and it probably is a fair rate. Please don't think I like it. Many people around me will tell you its not fun to be around me when I start cussing about the rising fees. I don't think the fees on shipping are fare at all. The feedback system is a complete fail.

But i don't delude myself....It is "the cost to do business". Thats is just a fact of life. If you take stuff to an auction house. You'll most often pay more in fees.

I been selling on ebay for a long time off and on. More lately. I fine there fees reasonable . go to any auction and you pay 20-33 percent. The fee on shipping is because they want to try to force everyone to do free shipping. Also get rid of the people selling items for .99 with huge shipping cost to try to avoid fees. You make your money when you buy your items not when you sell them.

Load Metric
    look at it this way. if you can buy an item at 70% off and resell it it this is how it goes.

lets say it's a 320.oo north face jacket

u pay 100 for it...there will be some dickhead(s) w/ the same item on ebay for 150..(some get a better deal thru lower ebay fees/rebate).and if and after u sell at that price ebay takes 15 bux..paypal takes 5/6...and it will cost 15 dollars to send a 4lb coat through the mail.....so right there ur looking at a 15.oo profit..and if the winning bidder sees that he can get the item less then what he paid through you and ebay he'll file a dispute to get his $$ back..and then you will also lose ur shipping money..and possibly get ur item back in bad condition.

there's no good and plenty in this...and even if u do volume the potential headaches are severe,,and will almost alway 100% work against the seller.

there's always some jackass willing to work for 1.oo hr profit on ebay..fucking up profits for others
    Everyone I know that sells on Ebay(I know quite a few big and small sellers) including me has at least one horror story involving paypal. You have to learn all the ins and outs of the rules and if you follow them closely you are better protected than you think. This hasn't always been the case. The benifit of the doubt is given to the buyer but after much abuse by buyers if you stick to the letter of the law your ok. I had much the same outlook you do but kept trying anyway and have found by experience that its not now as tilted as you seem to think.
    your right most people learn the hard way because they are stupid. For instance you have a item that sells for over 250 if you dont get signature conformation you automatically lose any dispute. many sellers dont know this. Learn what countries not to sell to etc etc for example never ship to Italy because there postal service is all screwed up

Load Metric

Ebay execs must be making a bundle since Ebay stock doesn't pay dividends and this money must be going somewhere. Sounds like greed rather than necessity when they raise their fees. It seems they do so because they can, and if there is no appreciable drop in sellers, look for continued raises in the future until they do.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Out View Post

Ebay execs must be making a bundle since Ebay stock doesn't pay dividends and this money must be going somewhere. Sounds like greed rather than necessity when they raise their fees. It seems they do so because they can, and if there is no appreciable drop in sellers, look for continued raises in the future until they do.

ebay is also selling banner adds now. SO if you sell something they may actually let a competitor from a outside site advertise on ebay at a cheaper price. They are gearing the site towards mega sellers and squeezing the mid range and really fucking the little sellers.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hardeight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Out View Post

ebay is also selling banner adds now. SO if you sell something they may actually let a competitor from a outside site advertise on ebay at a cheaper price. They are gearing the site towards mega sellers and squeezing the mid range and really fucking the little sellers.
    the banner adds are lol. i also like the resellers that forget to remove the links from the site they bought the item, or dropship from w/ the lower price..lol and like hard8 says, the fees will prolly continue to go up. amazon is at 20% i believe.,,,so that is where ebay will be heading to get/keep profits up.

ebay is heading for a fall.. craigslist should open up a sister site for auctions and charge 5%..watch how fast shit will change if they do this.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    What's amazon saying to bestbuy though tine
    They are saying "thank you for the window shoppers, we got their business in the end".

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

Not so much Yahoo, but AOL and Ebay need to shut it down.
    Yahoo pretty much fucked themselves by trying to sell themselves to Microsoft. Ever since the deal fell apart the ship has been sinking faster than the Titanic. I have friends that no longer work there that have told me some pretty lulzy stuff that had been happening recently.

Yahoo saved face by acquiring Marissa Mayer as CEO. Smart, smart lady, and smashable imo.

Silver
    Load Metric
    eBay is evil, and you are an idiot if you stake your entire business to them considering one policy change can crush you. Plus, the customers are cheap and like to complain.

You are much better off starting your own niche store and using eBay for traffic.

Trying to squeeze money out of retail items you pick up is too difficult, you really need a better source of cheaper products. By the time you find the item and pay for it (plus tax), list it, deal with questions, package it, ship it, you are spending time for a rather small piece of pie.

Gold
    Load Metric
    The thing is ebay is not chasing off buyers. As long as there are buyers they'll always have a great business. I was fucked over by ebay too. I had like an average of 4.x something in one of the sell performance categories. Now they spam me telling me to improve my selling. Good luck fuckfaces. I might sell crap I have laying around if I ever get around to it, but I'd never try to start some semblance of a business. Ebay is looking for big volume sellers and the casual people who use it like a garage sale. I think it works fine for those. They're so fucking greedy though. They raise their %s and do everything they can to discourage those who might be causing more than the average amount of disputes. The reality is, if you cause no disputes.. their cost is approaching 0, yet their rates are higher than ever. If you don't causes disputes, the cost of your listings are just absorbed into the machine and they're charging more than ever. I had a perfect 100% happiness rate, caused no disputes, and was still prevented from continuing to sell in a certain category. Fuck e-bay.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Oh yea, Ebay needs one good competitor. Thats the problem here. No one has been able to overtake them. In the real world people can start another store down the road. How do you do this when ebay is so dominant? Even with their bullshit, you're still going to use ebay and not one of these other joke auction sites. Craigslist had a chance to maybe open up an auction site, but they'd need to fight off the scammers. Craiglist is also partially owned by ebay. (WTF?!)
    Last edited by donkdowndonedied; 09-24-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Load Metric
    in additon to paying 10% final value fee on your item you have to pay 10% on your shipping cost. another 4% goes to paypal..

if that doesn't get you, their new policy holds sellers funds for 2/3 weeks before paypal clears it.

every move this company makes is worse than the next. what they're doing is slowly pushing out the little guy. most have no option but to close up shop becuse of low profit margins vs time spent doing it..and now the buyer gets to inspect the item for 2/3 weeks and file a claim if he/she wants on a used item???.....gtfo

ebay use to be a place to get things on the cheap...now quite a few items can be had elsewhere for a better price.

sell ur ebay stock...it's only a matter of time until the dummies that havent wised up will...ebay is really fucking the seller.

time is ripe for a new type of ebay or auction house..people are really getting sick of the bs....
    Solution to stop the bullshit with Paypal is get your own merchant account they cant legally stop you from accepting credit cards outside of Paypal contrary to what people believe Paypal isnt the sole option, Propay is the best option Ive seen out there so far for the little guy since theres no monthly gateway fees and what not. But I agree the Ebay/Paypal semi-Monopoly sucks and its why Ive gotten to the point Id rather consider other options for selling.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post
    eBay is evil, and you are an idiot if you stake your entire business to them considering one policy change can crush you. Plus, the customers are cheap and like to complain.

You are much better off starting your own niche store and using eBay for traffic.

Trying to squeeze money out of retail items you pick up is too difficult, you really need a better source of cheaper products. By the time you find the item and pay for it (plus tax), list it, deal with questions, package it, ship it, you are spending time for a rather small piece of pie.
    If you can do it get a sales tax ID and then get shit wholesale. There are enough dropshippers out there that you dont have to carry stock meaning no money out of your pocket till you sell and you'd be surprised how little some stuff can be had for through wholesalers, becareful though you want true wholesalers (meaning they expect you to have a resale/tax certificate for sales tax) and not middleman dropshippers because there marking stuff up enough your profit margin is sucked out by what you can get vs what you buy for..

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Just noticed that ebay have now withdrawn wildcard search - another kick in the nuts for users.

They could do this 8 years ago but now they can't.

Faggot site is going to shit.

Name:  24-12-2012 15-15-42.png
Views: 443
Size:  15.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They really have terrible security on eBay/PayPal, and disputes always unfairly favor the buyer.

So easy to get rolled there unless you follow the EXACT shipping procedure they give you.

I didn't do this last year, and I got ripped off.

The person who did it to me disputed, won, got my money, and of course they were thrown off eBay later for being a scammer. Shocker. And PayPal still told me to eat a dick because I didn't follow their specified shipping procedure.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Ebay is great cause they let you sell stolen shit quickly and discreetly as possible.

Oh and Paypal is great too. You can scheme so many people and then once your acct is limited it takes 2 weeks to open a brand new one and you are back in business.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Ebay is great cause they let you sell stolen shit quickly and discreetly as possible.

Oh and Paypal is great too. You can scheme so many people and then once your acct is limited it takes 2 weeks to open a brand new one and you are back in business.
    Name:  tumblr_m7n6sshYC81qg0z97.gif
Views: 372
Size:  897.5 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    They really have terrible security on eBay/PayPal, and disputes always unfairly favor the buyer.

So easy to get rolled there unless you follow the EXACT shipping procedure they give you.

I didn't do this last year, and I got ripped off.

The person who did it to me disputed, won, got my money, and of course they were thrown off eBay later for being a scammer. Shocker. And PayPal still told me to eat a dick because I didn't follow their specified shipping procedure.
    I had the opposite experience - got ripped off by a seller and PayPal did not support my case at all. Basically lost both the amount paid AND the product (which I sent back). PayPal did nothing to help me.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    ebay has now reduced the amount of items you can list for free to 20 from 30

here's the stupidity in certain listings like collectibles you can list 20 additional for free...so you get 40

i went to sell an item and ebay wanted me to pay 0.30 to list it because i had used up my 20 free per month. ..lol..i stuck the listing in some collectible category and it was free. if ebay sees it they will remove it, but that kind of stuff rarely happens.

ebay and paypal have split.

i guess the only positive that ebay delivers is that the seller fees are only 10% still...and i'm always trying to get around this w/ high price items.

it's sad ebay gives shipping and final value fee % back discounts to certain sellers

craigslist really needs to enter into the action bizness..how could they not make a killing, and subsequently make things better for the little guy, and make ebay give more benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Thread Information