Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ebay's mgmt is running company into the ground

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

ebay's mgmt is running company into the ground

in additon to paying 10% final value fee on your item you have to pay 10% on your shipping cost. another 4% goes to paypal..

if that doesn't get you, their new policy holds sellers funds for 2/3 weeks before paypal clears it.

every move this company makes is worse than the next. what they're doing is slowly pushing out the little guy. most have no option but to close up shop becuse of low profit margins vs time spent doing it..and now the buyer gets to inspect the item for 2/3 weeks and file a claim if he/she wants on a used item???.....gtfo

ebay use to be a place to get things on the cheap...now quite a few items can be had elsewhere for a better price.

sell ur ebay stock...it's only a matter of time until the dummies that havent wised up will...ebay is really fucking the seller.

time is ripe for a new type of ebay or auction house..people are really getting sick of the bs....

Load Metric
    writing was on the wall after the X.com/paypal debacle.

pretty sure amazon is going to put ebay out of business about 15 minutes after it decides to do so.

Banned
    Load Metric
    What's amazon saying to bestbuy though tine

Load Metric
    It had a good run, but it is time for ebay, yahoo and AOL to pull their plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Paypal ruined ebay for me long before any of these fees did. I have had a -$600 paypal balance for years and I never even rolled anybody! Amazon 4 life yo

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I sell a ton on ebay. I hate most of the changes with a passion but for me as a seller Amazon doesn't even begin to tempt me to switch. For the buyers it maybe better than ever.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdwst Hstlr View Post
    I sell a ton on ebay. I hate most of the changes with a passion but for me as a seller Amazon doesn't even begin to tempt me to switch. For the buyers it maybe better than ever.

with its current offerings, i dont think amazon is putting much of a dent in ebay, but i dont think its really tried either. i get the feeling this is the calm before the storm tho and that amazon can and will eventually branch out into an ebay-style sales platform, especially considering how many of ebay's sales are made via 'buy it now' and how well that could meld into the amazon sales model..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Not so much Yahoo, but AOL and Ebay need to shut it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    quite a few of the sellers are one transaction away from losing most of their profits made on multiple items...it's almost impossible to sell on ebay and make any money..and when you do make a sale the potential headaches is/could be not worth 10/20% profit

all it will take is buyers remorse..or they found item cheaper elsewhere...or simply need the $$$ back for other things..they will contest everything you write in ur description no matter how minor..

the only thing that i can see doing is price the item a little higher..and in the 1st line of ur description, write in bold "i will entertain all reasonable offers" and then hope to make the sale off of ebay.

...obv don't make it a buy it now

i can just imagine the round table discussions these douchebags execs must have

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

with its current offerings, i dont think amazon is putting much of a dent in ebay, but i dont think its really tried either. i get the feeling this is the calm before the storm tho and that amazon can and will eventually branch out into an ebay-style sales platform, especially considering how many of ebay's sales are made via 'buy it now' and how well that could meld into the amazon sales model..
    I'd love to listen in on a board meeting at Amazon about this. There is no doubt tons of sellers are fed up with ebay continuing to take a bigger and bigger piece. They would however need to make quite a few changes that go against the way they seem to like to do things.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Not so much Yahoo, but AOL and Ebay need to shut it down.
    Yahoo pretty much fucked themselves by trying to sell themselves to Microsoft. Ever since the deal fell apart the ship has been sinking faster than the Titanic. I have friends that no longer work there that have told me some pretty lulzy stuff that had been happening recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Everything on Amazon is already more expensive than Ebay

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Everything on Amazon is already more expensive than Ebay
    wrong

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    quite a few of the sellers are one transaction away from losing most of their profits made on multiple items...it's almost impossible to sell on ebay and make any money..and when you do make a sale the potential headaches is/could be not worth 10/20% profit

all it will take is buyers remorse..or they found item cheaper elsewhere...or simply need the $$$ back for other things..they will contest everything you write in ur description no matter how minor..

the only thing that i can see doing is price the item a little higher..and in the 1st line of ur description, write in bold "i will entertain all reasonable offers" and then hope to make the sale off of ebay.

If you do it right you can easily make very good money on ebay. There new policies force you to make sure you are much more thorough and provide better customer service than you had to in the past but that makes it better for the buyers(who were starting to leave because of bad sellers). I sold about 500 items in the last 12 months but would never be doing it for 10 or 20% profit. Ebay keeps taking a bigger and bigger cut but there is still PLENTY to be made.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

The only thing I've got to say on this subject is Amazon royally screwed me recently. I had checked to make sure the products I sold were allowed on there and checked the categories to see if I needed approval for "adult novelty" items and there was nothing that pointed out that I did. I got an email saying they were holding my money for 90 days because apparently there is a policy and you need pre-approval. Even after all this happened, I went to their approval page (that support had directed me to) and there was still no category for the products.

Even with all the fees on eBay and paypal, I would take that over the epic fail that amazon put me through.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

If you do it right you can easily make very good money on ebay. There new policies force you to make sure you are much more thorough and provide better customer service than you had to in the past but that makes it better for the buyers(who were starting to leave because of bad sellers). I sold about 500 items in the last 12 months but would never be doing it for 10 or 20% profit. Ebay keeps taking a bigger and bigger cut but there is still PLENTY to be made.
    define plenty

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    look at it this way. if you can buy an item at 70% off and resell it it this is how it goes.

lets say it's a 320.oo north face jacket

u pay 100 for it...there will be some dickhead(s) w/ the same item on ebay for 150..(some get a better deal thru lower ebay fees/rebate).and if and after u sell at that price ebay takes 15 bux..paypal takes 5/6...and it will cost 15 dollars to send a 4lb coat through the mail.....so right there ur looking at a 15.oo profit..and if the winning bidder sees that he can get the item less then what he paid through you and ebay he'll file a dispute to get his $$ back..and then you will also lose ur shipping money..and possibly get ur item back in bad condition.

there's no good and plenty in this...and even if u do volume the potential headaches are severe,,and will almost alway 100% work against the seller.

there's always some jackass willing to work for 1.oo hr profit on ebay..fucking up profits for others
    Last edited by mulva; 07-25-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Bronze
    Load Metric

define plenty
    OK, so there are lots of ways to answer that. Lets say your paying around 15% in fees. For me, I dont know another place to sell at the prices I can on Ebay that charges less and if I had a store my overhead would be much more.
    If you have a more specific question, shoot.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    look at it this way. if you can buy an item at 70% off and resell it it this is how it goes.

lets say it's a 320.oo north face jacket

u pay 100 for it...there will be some dickhead(s) w/ the same item on ebay for 150..(some get a better deal thru lower ebay fees/rebate).and if and after u sell at that price ebay takes 15 bux..paypal takes 5/6...and it will cost 15 dollars to send a 4lb coat through the mail.....so right there ur looking at a 15.oo profit..and if the winning bidder sees that he can get the item less then what he paid through you and ebay he'll file a dispute to get his $$ back..and then you will also lose ur shipping money..and possibly get ur item back in bad condition.

there's no good and plenty in this...and even if u do volume the potential headaches are severe,,and will almost alway 100% work against the seller.

there's always some jackass willing to work for 1.oo hr profit on ebay..fucking up profits for others
    First off you need to buy better(if it can only sell for $150) .

Second, yes some people will offer things at to low of a price but that doesn't always dictate the the average sale price. This is how I determine my price: I look at the last 30 days of completed sales of this item. I take the highest price it sold for and list it at that. Believe it or not it usually sells if not I'll drop the price later(I seldom need to do this). If one gets put up cheaper it gets snaped up quick and its gone(if its cheap enough i'll buy it and resell.

I'll finish in another post. I have to go for a minute.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

define plenty
    OK, so there are lots of ways to answer that. Lets say your paying around 15% in fees. For me, I dont know another place to sell at the prices I can on Ebay that charges less and if I had a store my overhead would be much more.
    If you have a more specific question, shoot.
    don't delude urself into thinking ebay's fees is "the cost to do business" you're looking at things the wrong way..

ebay fees use to be 2% then 5% 6% 8% and now 10%

ebay would lie to sellers about things as well. remember when they started lowering insertion fees and increasing final value fees..lol..i loved that snoball....they tried to pass that off as a + for the seller and that they were doing you a favor..they did this a few times to get where they are now

Thread Information