Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move over midwest, now California is having a cold spell

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Move over midwest, now California is having a cold spell

It was 28 at my house this morning right before the sun rose. It's the first time under 30 degrees since December 2015.

Benjamin enjoyed doing this, on a cushion outside which was full of frost:

Barstow received snow last night for the first time in a long time.

Other areas receiving snow included Victorville, Palmdale, and Loma Linda (near San Bernadino). San Bernadino came very close to receiving snow, which would have been really unusual.

It was -3 degrees in the town of Mammoth, and was probably close to -20 on top of the mountain.

Mt. Charleston was 1 degree as a low this morning, though not as cold as the 0 on New Years Day, when I had planned to go but cancelled it due to the cold.

Somehow Las Vegas was not unusually cold, and only fell to 31.

Comments

duped_samaritan: Benjamin Rep

Gold
    Load Metric
    THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS

PUSSIES

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: l
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Load Metric
    Meanwhile, I had to turn my a/c on for the last 2 days....

Comments

wrenchjockey: THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Load Metric
    80 degrees here today.

Comments

Sanlmar: Throw a rock at Tom Cruises house at end of beach yet?

Load Metric
    Whenever you write “Benjamin” I think you’re talking about your pet Basset Hound, because my uncle had a Basset Hound and its name was Benjamin. Even worse, I have to remember that my uncle named his dog Benjamin, like who the fuck does that?

I like all these reports of cold weather. Not because I like cold weather, but because I dislike the areas that it’s hitting. So that’s nice. Unfortunately it was 38° last night according to my car’s thermometer, but whatever.

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benji fuckin millenials

Load Metric
    Handful of cold days clean the air nicely.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_ View Post
    Whenever you write “Benjamin” I think you’re talking about your pet Basset Hound, because my uncle had a Basset Hound and its name was Benjamin. Even worse, I have to remember that my uncle named his dog Benjamin, like who the fuck does that?

I like all these reports of cold weather. Not because I like cold weather, but because I dislike the areas that it’s hitting. So that’s nice. Unfortunately it was 38° last night according to my car’s thermometer, but whatever.
    I thought Druff had a pug?

Speaking of which, perhaps he would enjoy playing in the snow up in the mountains?

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I was driving through eastern LA county yesterday afternoon and was on the top of a hill facing north and the view was seriously breathtaking. Completely cold, clear day and the San Gabriel mountains had tremendous snowpack.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Move over my fucking ASS. Ill take your shit any day.

We currently have AGAIN 15 -30 mph winds...currently more on the 25-30 side.

We just had a literal glazing of ice off and on the past 24. Currently EVERYTHING is coated in a thick layer of glare ice. Vehicle accidents everywhere. Like the previous weather the past month, I dont remember this kind of shit since i was a kid. Schools etc were completely shut down today...many people didnt even go into work....not for a bunch of snow, but 1/2-3/4" of ice...and it kept falling throughout the day.

The best part? I literally just went outside to get the last couple of things from my vehicle from a shopping trip, and fell on my ass HARD and sprained my ankle. I literally crawled myself the rest of the way on the sidewalk and up my steps. I shit you not, I dragged my way to the attic and found a pair of crutches I previously stored there. Fuck this. This shit hurts right now.

Guess what i was originally carrying into the house?

A 10 lb bag of CUBED ICE and a 30lb bag of DE-ICING SALT.

MOTHER-FUCKER

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post

We just had a literal glazing of ice off and on the past 24. Currently EVERYTHING is coated in a thick layer of glare ice. Vehicle accidents everywhere. Like the previous weather the past month, I dont remember this kind of shit since i was a kid. Schools etc were completely shut down today...many people didnt even go into work....not for a bunch of snow, but 1/2-3/4" of ice...and it kept falling throughout the day.

The best part? I literally just went outside to get the last couple of things from my vehicle from a shopping trip, and fell on my ass HARD and sprained my ankle. I literally crawled myself the rest of the way on the sidewalk and up my steps. I shit you not, I dragged my way to the attic and found a pair of crutches I previously stored there. Fuck this. This shit hurts right now.

MOTHER-FUCKER
    At least both bags didn't break open on top of each other?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post

MOTHER-FUCKER
    At least both bags didn't break open on top of each other?

Bags didn't break(yeah, that would have been priceless), but i had to hobble along after I composed myself and grabbed the crutches, and try to drag the damn things in the house.

I was going to go ice fishing this weekend, but im not sure thats going to happen now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    I was driving through eastern LA county yesterday afternoon and was on the top of a hill facing north and the view was seriously breathtaking. Completely cold, clear day and the San Gabriel mountains had tremendous snowpack.
    I cut down a side street in Youngstown yesterday and drove by a steel mill that closed in the late 70s. My maternal grandfather worked there. He would buy me a boilermaker when I was like 7 or 8 at some bar that has been closed for probably 40 years now. He’d say “don’t tell your mother.” He died when I was 12. My fondest memory of him. I also recall golfing with him and my dad probably a few months before he died. My dad somehow shanked a shot that he just barely grazed and it landed right in his crotch as he sat 20 yards on bench from the tee. My dad cringed and he said,” don’t worry about it. It quit working a year ago.”

There was a fat black guy and a really skinny white guy both pushing an empty shopping cart down the street. Like they both had both hands on it. With the rust belt gothic steel mill as a backdrop(tried to register rust belt gothic.com a few years ago but it was owned by a university iirc. Someone sit on it for me if it’s cutrently available and I’ll shoot you a &100, don’t have time to do it atm.), I was looking for my stick to drive through their head because they 100% looked like walkers. I could step out, kill them, and it may have been a week before anyone found their bodies because every house on the street is boarded up. It’s currently 24 degrees. It will be colder tomorrow.

The other America. It felt apt as the perfect opposite of the grandiose view you described. Like an outtake from an old Springsteen session that was too depressing for even Bruce to put on the album meets the walking dead minus 40 degrees.

Comments

splitthis: The other side is vast
    Last edited by BCR; 02-08-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BCR, sounds like my disaster tour through Detroit in 2014.

Had to keep reminding myself I was in the US.

It was so weird.

This has been a cold winter everywhere, it seems.

It's possible Los Angeles will not reach its average high on any day in February. Most nights for the past week have reached freezing or very close.

It has snowed 3 times in the past week in Vegas.

Load Metric
    BCR, sounds like my disaster tour through Detroit in 2014.

Had to keep reminding myself I was in the US.

It was so weird.

This has been a cold winter everywhere, it seems.

It's possible Los Angeles will not reach its average high on any day in February. Most nights for the past week have reached freezing or very close.

It has snowed 3 times in the past week in Vegas.
    It’s been bad. I almost added to this thread on Saturday morning. I had to drive to this absolutely backwater town called Corry, Pa at like 7AM. Had never even heard the name of the town before, which is rare considering it’s within a few hours of me, and I lived in PA for over a decade. It was one of those 1:45 drives where you only go like 40 minutes on the freeway which was fine and then an hour of backroads that were all ice with one lane going each way that hadn’t been touched by any salt.

It was also just hill after hill where it’s hard to control your speed. Really had me shook because I’m fine doing that shit by myself, but I had an 8 and 9 year old asleep in the backseat. I thought I was going to have my first anxiety attack in like a decade. I was clutching the steering wheel so hard my hands were numb. Probably a dozen fatalities in my surrounding area that day and this area was up north and much worse. I’ve noticed my vision and depth perception isn’t what it was as a young person anymore. This winter has made me really think extremely hard about just moving out to Vegas or California. My father remarried years ago to a woman like 13 years younger than him. She’s nearing retirement at this point thank god because he’s my main impetus for staying local but I can’t handle this shit much longer. It’s time for them to go do the snowbird shit in Florida and I can spend my winters in Vegas and keep a place here because it’s so cheap and we’ll do summers and spring.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BCR, if you ever do move to Vegas, I'd like to meet you. Obviously I'd keep your identity quiet, as well as all details about you. Hell, I still haven't revealed what color BGC's hands are, and I'm the only one on the site to have met him.

I can relate to the white-knuckling driving on icy roads.

Two years ago, during those big January storms, I had a Tahoe trip planned. I postponed the first one because of heavy snow, but I found a small window of no snow for a few days, waited for the roads to clear, and then set off.

About 250 miles into the 500 mile drive, I realized that US-395 between Mammoth and Tahoe required chains, as did the road leading from Carson City to Tahoe. The normal road from Gardnerville to Tahoe was closed (which I knew). It was at night and I couldn't find chains anywhere at that point, though I did have a 4-wheel drive SUV.

My choices were to stop in Mammoth and sleep overnight (and pay hundreds of $ to do so), and then buy chains in the morning... OR to violate the "chains required" thing, and hope I didn't crash.

I chose the latter. I was alone, by the way.

I was constantly on the lookout for ice, swerving around it, and basically highly stressed for the entire second half of the drive.

The drive from Carson City to Tahoe -- basically the final leg -- was the worst. Tons of ice all over the place, and I skidded over it several times, despite my best attempts to avoid it.

I didn't hit anything, and it all turned out okay, but it was scary. I wasn't too worried about hitting any other cars, because it was after midnight and there were almost no other cars on the road.

But I'm definitely never doing that again.

Load Metric
    Yeah, it’s kind of strange here in Ohio and pa. When you know a huge storm is coming, road crews are out and shit is cancelled. It’s the unexpected few inches that are mostly ice when the roads aren’t touched where people die. I drove in that bad snowstorm where we got 18 inches a few weeks ago and wasn’t that worried. Snow is fine. It’s predictable. Ice and a little snow with people pressing you at normal speeds is where shit goes south.
    I haven’t been west in quite awhile. I always planned on contacting you, Vegas, and Brandon next trip. I’ve just been there less frequently than any time in adulthood the past decade. I always trusted your discretion and privacy is less of a it deal to me now. I don’t volunteer shit, but I also am past going to work for anyone again at this point in my life. I wanted to leave the door open in the past.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: Is it possible that people are this normal? With little to no issues and a fairly bright outlook. Goat for here I think

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It was 28 at my house this morning right before the sun rose. It's the first time under 30 degrees since December 2015.

Benjamin enjoyed doing this, on a cushion outside which was full of frost:

college tuition taken care of based on the size of those mitts

trump would be jelly

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Measurable snow of up to 3 inches fell all over Vegas today -- the most since the 6 inches which fell in December 2008.

It is looking very likely that the entire states of California and Nevada will never have reached the average high on any day in February. We have 8 more days, but the forecast shows continued cold weather for that entire period.

In fact, tomorrow night will drop below freezing in parts of Los Angeles, including where I am.

It is highly unusual to have an entire month go by where the average temperature is not reached.

The reverse of this occurred in October 2015, where the temperature in Los Angeles was above average every single day of the month.

Load Metric
    honestly thank you todge for these facts also the snow in vegas in aught 8 was elite

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So it was 41 degrees here at 2:30pm.

41 degrees!

That is VERY unusual for southern California, where it's almost always over 50 degrees during the mid-afternoon, and the few times it's not, it tends to be something like 48.

That's the coldest 2:30pm temperature I've seen in the LA area in my life.

It rained during that time. We wondered, "Could there be snow on the nearby mountain?"

The mountain in question is about 3,000 feet high and gets an ocean breeze, so snow is very rare on it. The last snow there was in December 2008 -- the same day as 6 inches of snow fell in Vegas.

Sure enough, this is the view outside my house:

Unfortunately, this mountain isn't easily accessible. You can't drive to it, and the hike up there is 10 miles round trip and quite difficult.

Tomorrow I might drive to the Circle X Ranch in Malibu, which is at 2100 feet, and has a trail up to Sandstone Peak, where is at 3100 feet. I saw on the radar that some snow fell there, as well.

Thread Information