Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need a gun

Load Metric

I need a gun

Im a gun fish. I just know I want a handgun that has a big clip, doesn't cost too much, and is nice enough to take to a range. Does brand matter? Do certain types use cheaper ammo? any help appreciated

Load Metric
    Have you ever fired a gun before? I took the gun safety course and aside from always check, recheck, double check, and check again, that the gun isn't loaded the only thing I came away with was I'm not a fan of guns.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    http://www.basspro.com/Ruger-P95-9mm...10218296/55165
    Name:  spacer.gif
Views: 549
Size:  43 Bytes

good starter gun and not bad price wise. probably a bit too big to conceal carry, but good for the range and the 9mm will ease you into basic shooting before trying the larger calibers.

Comments

ShadyJ:

Load Metric
    The Hunt for the Templar gains some momentum....

Load Metric
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/ta...actical-pro-ii

then when you become more comfortable shooting and don't mind spending money for the best you get this one. the 1911 is probably the best semi-auto ever made imo.

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Trust me what ever gun you get, get a 40 S&W.
    It has the punching power of a 45 but only the recoil of a 9 mil.
    I would look at a glock

Comments

ShadyJ:

Load Metric
    don't get a gun...

Comments

ShadyJ: fuck off
    Me defeating Druff 100 BB heads up - http://youtu.be/LmxTH0rZaLk?t=2h12m35s

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post
    Im a gun fish. I just know I want a handgun that has a big clip, doesn't cost too much, and is nice enough to take to a range. Does brand matter? Do certain types use cheaper ammo? any help appreciated
    Just wanting a gun is a really odd reason for someone that doesn't know anything about them. If you are pissed at someone, please calm down. If you think you need one for protection that's a different matter.

Beware the steps you take that you can't step back from.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Just wanting a gun is a really odd reason for someone that doesn't know anything about them. If you are pissed at someone, please calm down. If you think you need one for protection that's a different matter.

Beware the steps you take that you can't step back from.
    I've had and fired guns before its just been awhile. Not that that makes me any more qualified to want a gun. I'm going to chalk up your post to the Colorado incident.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post

good starter gun and not bad price wise. probably a bit too big to conceal carry, but good for the range and the 9mm will ease you into basic shooting before trying the larger calibers.
    Wow thats like perfect for me thanks alot. I didn't think I would find anything decent under $500, and that gun got some good reviews.

Load Metric
    Since the world is on alert after the Colorado incident I will say the reason I'm looking is 2 fold. I don't live in the best neighborhood, and theres been alot of breakins lately. My Inlaws live 2 mins away and theyve lived in there house for like 25 years no issues. They go out and get an alarm and a few days later they get robbed. Once the brilliant burglars realiized ripping the alarm out of the wall wont make it shut off they left with almost nothing. I also want to go to the range and make sure my wife learns to use it. We recently got the conceal carry law here in WI, but I'm not sure if I plan on going that route yet.

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric

Wow thats like perfect for me thanks alot. I didn't think I would find anything decent under $500, and that gun got some good reviews.
    Im telling you, this would be better.
    http://www.basspro.com/GLOCK-G22--40...0218316/107037

Comments

ShadyJ:

Load Metric
    Since the world is on alert after the Colorado incident I will say the reason I'm looking is 2 fold. I don't live in the best neighborhood, and theres been alot of breakins lately. My Inlaws live 2 mins away and theyve lived in there house for like 25 years no issues. They go out and get an alarm and a few days later they get robbed. Once the brilliant burglars realiized ripping the alarm out of the wall wont make it shut off they left with almost nothing. I also want to go to the range and make sure my wife learns to use it. We recently got the conceal carry law here in WI, but I'm not sure if I plan on going that route yet.
    I think you've got the right idea. In an ideal world, you'll never need to use a gun, but it never hurts to be prepared. My dad taught me to shoot as well as teaching my mother before I was old enough to learn.

That being said, if you do one day look to buy a weapon for home defense, the moron that shot up the theater had the one you want to buy. The Remington 870 12 gauge pump is a great gun and you can buy a Blackhawk recoil suppressing stock that will take the kick down.

Load Metric
    PM me, I have a shit ton of questions and don't want to fag up this thread

Comments

ShadyJ:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post

Im telling you, this would be better.
    http://www.basspro.com/GLOCK-G22--40...0218316/107037
    I'm sure your right, but I'm looking for something cheap. Spending like $400 with a case, and I checked the gun on another site and all 17 reviews were 5 stars. My cousin has an arsenal of weapons from ar15s to bombs, but everything he would sell me is $500+ and who knows what that gun has done, so getting a new gun for that cheap has me excited.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by pikachar View Post
    PM me, I have a shit ton of questions and don't want to fag up this thread
    I'm asking the questions I really know nothing about guns.

Load Metric

I had the same requirements as you, and that's the exact gun that I got. I would definitely recommend it.

Just a head's up- there's a DC version that's cheaper, but doesn't have a normal safety mechanism. I was willing to pay the little bit extra for the safety.

Comments

ShadyJ:

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    Expanding Steel Police Baton

Small and compact in the closed position.

Easy to carry in a holster while walking, running or driving.

Easily opens to the expanded position by flipping the wrist. Just hold the baton in your hand while completing the throwing motion, the expandable baton will will slide open and lock into position.

When ready to collapse, tap the tip of the baton on a hard surface like concrete.

$22

http://www.guardian-self-defense.com/telescopic.htm

Smith & Wesson model 50$

Platinum
    Load Metric
    For home defense you need at least .40 cal .45 really, 9mm just won't cut it.

Aint getting a .40 for 4 hundo though.

For about $600 you could get this bad mofo.....

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=1

Lighter slightly smaller version....

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/home.html

and it comes with every accessory under the sun and a nice ass case. Not to mention top quality and performance.

But you have to go and test different ones out, that is the only way you will know which one feels best in your hand. They all feel different. For me the Glock's grip just is too small and doesn't feel right, just don't like it. The XD is just a huge difference, night and day.

Load Metric
    You really want a Glock .40. Its the perfect happy medium. If you really get into guns, your next gun will probably be a 1911 frame, they are really a pleasure to shoot, especially in 9mm. But if you want a good, solid equity decision without getting overwhelmed, youre getting a Glock .40. Its just got tremendous value as a self defense weapon and its certainly going to treat you well on the range, and .40 reloads are reasonably priced and plentiful at more or less all ranges.

Thread Information