Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being fat isn't completely your fault *giggling*

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Being fat isn't completely your fault *giggling*

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/25/healt...ntl/index.html

Confirming what I always believed was already accepted for years, there is a strong genetic component to whether you will be fat or thin.

While there are lifestyle components to your weight, as well, there are some people who can eat whatever they want and never get fat, while others can maintain a very sensible, low-calorie diet and still remain constantly overweight.

It turns out that there are specific genes which were found to be responsible for this.

I have witnessed this in my own family.

My mom has always been thin, as have my brother and sister. They have never had to put out any effort to remain thin, even as they got older.

My dad was always average weight to a little bit heavy, until he started a rigorous exercise program in his late 30s, which he continues to this day. But he was not a naturally thin guy.

I seemed to have inherited the genes for this from my dad. While not prone to obesity, my body doesn't thwart weight gain like my mom and two siblings do. I also can eat a lot in one sitting, something my dad also used to be able to do when he was younger.

It's my belief that, in general, a lot more of your health and personality are genetic than most people think.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: yeah, u got big bones

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Story checks out.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 502
Size:  161.1 KB

Comments

tony bagadonuts: lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Name:  and-this-barny-walkers-is-where-i-keep-my-genetics-2708438.png
Views: 516
Size:  145.9 KB

Load Metric
    I've been fat and I've been lean.

It isn't genetics.

Load Metric
    One study published to date has shown a link between genetics and the tendency to be obese and Druff feels vindicated about his anecdotal experience on the matter. Hundreds of studies to date have shown the consequencial link between atmospheric concentrations of CO2 and global warming and Druff still thinks that it’s not a settled scientific issue.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    One study published to date has shown a link between genetics and the tendency to be obese and Druff feels vindicated about his anecdotal experience on the matter. Hundreds of studies to date have shown the consequencial link between atmospheric concentrations of CO2 and global warming and Druff still thinks that it’s not a settled scientific issue.

Don't hijack the thread with BS

Comments

Mintjewlips: Had to be said

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    I've been fat and I've been lean.

It isn't genetics.
    It is.

You're just in the middle where you can be either one, depending upon lifestyle.

Comments

sah_24: no it's math

Silver
    Load Metric
    Name:  1F8954FD-773D-4D96-96B2-EB8D0CE460D3.gif
Views: 506
Size:  1.99 MB

Load Metric
    Genetics plays a part, so does lifestyle. Though this was well established?

Load Metric
    Genetics is a minimal source, America is fat because of processed foods, restaurants, and fast food joints. A single meal at most is well over an entire day of calories.

Make your own food at home with low fat meats, lots of veggies and fruits.

The government wants you to be fat to feed the economy and medical system. Its a win win because you most likely wont live long enough to collect the social security you have paid into.

Wake up.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Genetics is a minimal source, America is fat because of processed foods, restaurants, and fast food joints. A single meal at most is well over an entire day of calories.

Make your own food at home with low fat meats, lots of veggies and fruits.

The government wants you to be fat to feed the economy and medical system. Its a win win because you most likely wont live long enough to collect the social security you have paid into.

Wake up.
    JFC fat doesn't make you fat I wish this 40yr old bullshit would be shredded like it needs to be.. The obesity epidemic in this country along with oh the massive rise in Alzheimers, General Dementia and other neurological disorders all exploded afterwards.. fat doesn't make you fat in fact your neurological system actually needs fats to maintain the lining of your neurons.. Its the break down of such which causes issues.. Now excess CALORIES usually due to increased carbs from all the shit simple sugars they put in to replace the losses from fats is what has caused the biggest issues.. Body sees massive sugar spike from the simple carbs binds sugars with insulin to allow body to burn the energy when energy isn't consumed the insulin converts the excess carbs to FAT in the body.. These wild swings can and do cause insulin resistance causing blood sugar levels to rise and ultimately diabetes..

Comments

MumblesBadly: Some people can’t let go of the myth about dietary fat that was promoted by the sugar lobby starting in the 70s.

tony bagadonuts: Good correction

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Genetics might determine how fast your metabolism burns calories but being fat is about math ...

Calories in vs Calories out ...

Load Metric
    todge where are we on nicknaming your son yung genome

like are we 12 percent of the way there fill us in

Load Metric
    Sure, some people can get away with a shit diet and remain slim. They still usually run into other issues and it usually hits them at some point. To be honest, you were stick thin until your twenties. I would guess any excess weight had more to do with lifestyle and occupation rather than generic disposition. My whole family outside my father and me are fat. It has to do more with generational eating behavior. I can get fat easily. I’m heading towards the best shape of my life. I had a dude at a hotel pool comment that I’m a generic freak last weekend who is like 7 years younger than me. I told him I was fatter than him many times. I no longer take anything at all. Haven’t for years now. Just eat incredibly clean and lift hard. Sure, there’s a gentic component just like some people can smoke for 50 years and not get lung cancer, but it’s rare, and you have no issue taking it back off as soon as you get serious, so there is no genetic barrier to you being as fit as you want.

Knowing what your siblings do from being around a long time, I’d be surprised if they travel to the extent you do, have as many late nights on the Internet, etc. Those things lend themselves to struggling to eat well. They might be a little more inclined to stay slim, but I would guess it’s more about lifestyle. Either way, you’re definitely not in that genetically disposed to be fat camp. A few months of being disciplined and you’re back to a normal weight. Not talking about LPR drop, but rather before. If you had some disposition you’d struggle to drop. You don’t. You just can’t eat garbage and stay thin which puts you in the same boat as 80% of us.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Coge as usual

Load Metric
    I think a good chunk of it is due to genetics, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get thin if your genes say you should be a fatass or that you can’t get thicc if you should be a smaller feller. Eat good healthy food and keep the calories and whatnot low enough, you lose weight and be thin. The opposite, you’ll become big boned or husky.

I keep my daily allotted calories to under 3,500 (and I’m successful most days), but no matter what, I’m still probably never gonna get down to what I weighed in high school. Although, I am getting closer. I also tried to go for daily walks, but that just wasn’t for me. You gotta do what’s right for you. Anyway, whether you’re big or small, trying to change is difficult.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Sure, some people can get away with a shit diet and remain slim. They still usually run into other issues and it usually hits them at some point. To be honest, you were stick thin until your twenties. I would guess any excess weight had more to do with lifestyle and occupation rather than generic disposition. My whole family outside my father and me are fat. It has to do more with generational eating behavior. I can get fat easily. I’m heading towards the best shape of my life. I had a dude at a hotel pool comment that I’m a generic freak last weekend who is like 7 years younger than me. I told him I was fatter than him many times. I no longer take anything at all. Haven’t for years now. Just eat incredibly clean and lift hard. Sure, there’s a gentic component just like some people can smoke for 50 years and not get lung cancer, but it’s rare, and you have no issue taking it back off as soon as you get serious, so there is no genetic barrier to you being as fit as you want.

Knowing what your siblings do from being around a long time, I’d be surprised if they travel to the extent you do, have as many late nights on the Internet, etc. Those things lend themselves to struggling to eat well. They might be a little more inclined to stay slim, but I would guess it’s more about lifestyle. Either way, you’re definitely not in that genetically disposed to be fat camp. A few months of being disciplined and you’re back to a normal weight. Not talking about LPR drop, but rather before. If you had some disposition you’d struggle to drop. You don’t. You just can’t eat garbage and stay thin which puts you in the same boat as 80% of us.
    I usually agree with your posts (except about politics, but even there you seem mostly reasonable), but I have to differ with you on some points here.

I wasn't trying to say that I'm predisposed to getting fat. I'm not. I believe I'm right in the middle at this point -- one who would gain weight with a high calorie diet (as most men my age would), but also not one of those "eat anything and stay skinny" people.

I even saw signs of this when I was around 12 years old. I wasn't fat at that point, but I started to get a little pudgy, and you could even see it in my face from pics around that time. Then, starting in 9th grade, I joined the cross country team, started running 4-10 miles per day, and I quickly got very thin. Even though I only remained on the team for two years, there seemed to be a lasting effect on my metabolism (not sure why), to where I remained very thin for several years after that. In fact, I had the opposite problem. If I didn't make sure to eat a lot regularly, I would LOSE weight, which bothered me, because I felt I was too thin (lookswise, not health wise). Around my early 20s, it started to change, and I started a slow trajectory upward with my weight.

So, yes, I'll agree that I'm not genetically predisposed to be fat,. I'm pretty typical -- thin when young, then starting to gain weight in my 20s, then flattening out, then starting to gain again in my late 30s.

But where I disagree involves my siblings. Always a completely different story with them. I have the big Live at the Bike appetite, they don't, and never have. They never had the change I did in my early 20s regarding a slow, consistent weight gain. They just stayed thin. Same with my mom. Doesn't matter what they eat. There's definitely a genetic difference there. I seem to have inherited the metabolism from my dad, who was able to stay thin since his late 30s through a regular exercise program.

Load Metric
    so is yung genome a go ?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Something else little-discussed is that, for most people, their body tries to keep itself at the same weight. You hear people complaining about one particular short term period of time (such as the holidays) when they gain weight, but that's unlikely to be permanent. Your body usually attempts to bring itself back to around the same weight it's been for awhile, and it takes consistent overeating, undereating, or exercise to shake that.

In 2010, I experienced this. I had the worst cold of my life, which was both long-lasting (as far as severe symptoms) and killed my appetite. I ate almost nothing for 10 days, and lost 10 pounds. Even when my appetite returned to normal, the 10 pounds seemed to remain gone. However, about 6 weeks later, my weight was right back to where it was before the cold, and then it stabilized again.

I thought the same might happen in 2018 when I rapidly lost the 32 pounds from the severe anxiety, but it didn't. My body seems to have accepted 210 as my new normal, and even though I've eaten a lot of junk in recent times, the weight isn't coming back. Honestly that's probably a bad thing for me, because I'd have a better diet right now if I hadn't noticed that my body is resisting gaining weight back (and that my diet doesn't seem to "trigger" LPR symptoms as it does for many others). I guess it's also possible that enough low-grade anxiety remains and I'm burning off those extra calories. But basically what I had was a precipitous drop in weight over a 6 week period, and then a stability where I haven't gained or lost in the past 4 months.

Load Metric
    11 paragraphs later im assuming we can now call ur boy yung genome

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Druff you're as bad as me. I have a drinking disorder in that once I start it's tough to stop. I'm no scientist but I believe the reward centres for drink are the same for food.

After all, you offered up your famous overrating habits, such as having two meals ordered when eating out and a heavy addiction to sugar laced pop, I can't believe you are not accepting full blame for your weight.

And you lead a sedentary life style comparatively

Day 3 sober by the way.

Thread Information