Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reason not to lease?

Load Metric

Reason not to lease?

my 10 year old accord which I bought new and have had very few problems with is leaking water onto the driver side floor mat...brought it to the dealer and they said its not from the windshield, he thinks the corrosion in the floor is so bad that its coming from the bottom? Not sure if thats true or not but sounds like it might be time for a new car if thats the case, I avg about 16,000 miles a year but I dont really care about having the nicest newest car, I more just want something reliable and cheap. Any input is appreciated, not sure if I should try to scrap together 10k and just buy some used A to B car or lease something nice for 200ish a month

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalizeMeth View Post
    my 10 year old accord which I bought new and have had very few problems with is leaking water onto the driver side floor mat...brought it to the dealer and they said its not from the windshield, he thinks the corrosion in the floor is so bad that its coming from the bottom? Not sure if thats true or not but sounds like it might be time for a new car if thats the case, I avg about 16,000 miles a year but I dont really care about having the nicest newest car, I more just want something reliable and cheap. Any input is appreciated, not sure if I should try to scrap together 10k and just buy some used A to B car or lease something nice for 200ish a month
    I don't think you'll find any good lease deals if you are running 16K+ miles a year. Leases aren't really for people who put a lot of miles on a car, because then dealers get back a car with a lot of miles, so they're gonna charge you a bunch more per month for that.

Load Metric
    thought I saw honda has an option for 15k with .15 a mile after that, I dont think I could get much lower than that. 12k lease wouldnt be an option

Platinum
    Load Metric
    My old car has the same problem but the passenger side...there is a hole for draining water with gasket that resembles the rubber thing that keeps money from falling out of a kids piggy bank....gasket doesn’t plug like it should and needs replacing

Comments

LegalizeMeth: thx will check it out

Load Metric
    Do whatever Druff says.

Load Metric
    Here’s something to think about, 16k miles a year means your spending a decent amount of time in your car. If you can afford it get a decent 15k car/suv that you really like and keep another 10 years. Leases are not really that cheap, most require a decent amount of money down then your paying and getting almost no equity in return. It’s been show to be the most expensive way to purchase a car, remember dealers and banks are in the business of making money. If you go to a dealer pay attention how hard dealers try to sell you a lease when you buy a car. I paid for my wife’s 2015 Honda Accord in cash and the dealer literally tried to talk me in to putting 1.5k down and get a lease on the accord.
    Personally, i (my car alone not counting my wife’s) haven’t had a car payment for 5 years, I paid 315 a month when I bought my used suv. 315 x 60 =18900 and I’ll have my car another 5 to 7 years. My suv was 3 1/2 years old when I bought it, If I had leased a newer car I would have essentially given the dealer all the payments plus I would still be making payments on another car or paying for a newer car.

Comments

LegalizeMeth:

Load Metric
    Fix the Honda. It's probably something simple like a broken tap on the heater core, a split grommet or split hose... assuming it's not leaking after it rains.
    If it leaks after it rains it's likely to be a blocked drain or something else simple.
    Get a real mechanic.

Comments

LegalizeMeth: leaking after it rains. 2 places I trust around here say they wont even look at it until the spring

Load Metric
    if it was super simple dont you think the monkeys at the dealership could have found it?

Load Metric
    if it was super simple dont you think the monkeys at the dealership could have found it?
    Dealerships are the worst. Only ever take a car to the dealership for your free first service.

I have zero faith in dealerships and I'm certain it's an easy fix.

Load Metric
    Google "Honda Accord wet floor" if you don't believe me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post
    Google "Honda Accord wet floor" if you don't believe me.

yup

Name:  d8f2c7e008d783e4b9927eb50e2d3935.png
Views: 392
Size:  113.6 KB

Comments

LegalizeMeth:

Load Metric
    You're not going to get any favorable deals on a lease when you drive as much as you do, that was my main point. You'd be better off buying a car that someone who drove low mileage already leased, IMO.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    You're not going to get any favorable deals on a lease when you drive as much as you do, that was my main point. You'd be better off buying a car that someone who drove low mileage already leased, IMO.

my 10 year old accord which I bought new
    How's this accord in the winter? It must have seen a lot of snow these past ten yrs.

Load Metric
    Fix the Honda. It's probably something simple like a broken tap on the heater core, a split grommet or split hose... assuming it's not leaking after it rains.
    If it leaks after it rains it's likely to be a blocked drain or something else simple.
    Get a real mechanic.
    Defroster/air conditioner blocked hose also on the list of possibilities

I haven’t Youtubed but dive the fuck in. Repair videos are unbelievably good now and it’s kinda fun.

Drive the car to 200k.

Then again slide under car.... is it really that rusty? Maybe mechanic saw some rot

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Defroster/air conditioner blocked hose also on the list of possibilities

I haven’t Youtubed but dive the fuck in. Repair videos are unbelievably good now and it’s kinda fun.

Drive the car to 200k.

Then again slide under car.... is it really that rusty? Maybe mechanic saw some rot
    Put a hundred a week away for a new car and run it into the ground. If you do reasonable oil and fluid changes they go forever. Honda and Nissan are a close second to Toyota when it comes to reliability. IMO

Load Metric
    Put a hundred a week away for a new car and run it into the ground. If you do reasonable oil and fluid changes they go forever. Honda and Nissan are a close second to Toyota when it comes to reliability. IMO
    See, this is from the guy who built his own mining rig.

It’s about getting your mind right.

If you want to be an aircraft pilot you have to learn about the engine and the gauges that relate to different functions of the engine. You’re the guy who does the preflight. Does the aircraft look like it’s going to work mechanically and allow you to live? It’s up to you and no one else.

Driving and thinking about what is happening mechanically to propel you down the road while you do that is satisfying. When something breaks you learn another aspect about the magic of the automobile. Your experience while driving is completely different from that of Druff or your wife. That is satisfying and manly.

You have less testosterone than your father. You can fight the tide though. My son will buy an electric car someday. It’s sad. He will have a woman President. However, you will have a better quality of life.

True fucking story. My son went to college. He asked me in all seriousness, “I went to a full service gas station. Should I tip the attendant?” He has never known anything but self service. I am not sure if this means anything except that I am getting old - or that I raised a better tipper than Druff.

Back to the point. Save the money like Salty said. Every month you keep that Honda running you are cheating death and proving your manhood. The quality of your life is better than your neighbor even if he has a new Tesla.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    See, this is from the guy who built his own mining rig.

It’s about getting your mind right.

If you want to be an aircraft pilot you have to learn about the engine and the gauges that relate to different functions of the engine. You’re the guy who does the preflight. Does the aircraft look like it’s going to work mechanically and allow you to live? It’s up to you and no one else.

Driving and thinking about what is happening mechanically to propel you down the road while you do that is satisfying. When something breaks you learn another aspect about the magic of the automobile. Your experience while driving is completely different from that of Druff or your wife. That is satisfying and manly.

You have less testosterone than your father. You can fight the tide though. My son will buy an electric car someday. It’s sad. He will have a woman President. However, you will have a better quality of life.

True fucking story. My son went to college. He asked me in all seriousness, “I went to a full service gas station. Should I tip the attendant?” He has never known anything but self service. I am not sure if this means anything except that I am getting old - or that I raised a better tipper than Druff.

Back to the point. Save the money like Salty said. Every month you keep that Honda running you are cheating death and proving your manhood. The quality of your life is better than your neighbor even if he has a new Tesla.
    Hillarious.

I'm now in a strange position. My 30yo car is now starting to appreciate in value. Not a daily driver so it's in excellent condition.

No desire to sell, it runs like a dream, I enjoy driving it every now and then. It's been to a mechanics once as I was too lazy to do a timing belt.

Load Metric
    Imagine what it might be worth if your steering wheel was on the correct side.

Comments

duped_samaritan: OHHHHH SNAAAAAPPPPP

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There are some people I've known who are so proud of their decision to lease and never buy, that they look down upon anyone who buys cars as ignorant rubes.

I hear lines like this:

"You realize that your car loses 20% of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot, right?"

"You're paying a huge premium just to drive a car that nobody else has ever owned."

"You're making a car payment anyway. Why not have it be a situation where you can just walk away and get another new car in 2 years?"

"Even if you keep your car for a long time, then you'll be driving an old model with degrading performance, while I'll always be in a new vehicle. Who's better off here?"

However, a lot of this is very misleading.

Leasing is only a good option for certain people.

If you....

- Drive low-to-medium mileage each year, and it's fairly predictable

- Don't mind that you can't choose features of the car you want

- Don't mind that you can't customize the car in any way

- Have an obsession with always driving a new or nearly new vehicle

- Are bad at selling used cars

... then leasing may be a decent (or better) option for you.

I personally like to buy the exact car I want with the exact features I want, pay all cash for it, drive it for about 9 years, and then sell it for maximum value at that point.

If leasing was such a spectacular deal in general, then car dealers would be taking a bath on them. They're not.

Regarding your Accord, take it to an independent garage (one well reviewed on Yelp) and let them diagnose it (don't tell them what the dealership said). Then get an estimate.

If it's cheap, fix it ad squeeze some more time out of it.

If it's not cheap, you probably want to sell it private party with the disclosure of this problem. You will get certain assholes lowballing you, but just stand firm and ignore them. It will eventually be bought by someone who is either a mechanic themselves or knows one who will do it cheaply.

Since you're driving 16k miles per year, you should probably just buy a new car. Just make sure you do your research first, and try to do your negotiating over the phone, with several dealerships. Do it through the sales manager, not any salesman, as salesmen don't want to touch you if they're getting a shit commission.

Comments

LegalizeMeth:

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    get a Hellcat what are you, gay or something?

Comments

unchainedghost:

Thread Information