Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** Follies of Gavin Newsom thread, 2019-2027

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

*** OFFICIAL *** Follies of Gavin Newsom thread, 2019-2027

I'm already giving credit to Newsom for winning reelection as California governor in 2022, because.... well, who are we kidding? This is California.

So buckle up, we have to deal with him for 8 years.

Newsom has replaced another liberal Democrat governor, Jerry Brown.

However, Jerry Brown wasn't your typical Democrat. He had his own ideas and marched to his own drum. He frequently pissed off his own party, given his fiscal restraint and overruling of parole board decisions.

Newsom is no Jerry Brown. Instead, he's probably going to out-liberal the already leftist California state legislature, aggressively pushing for radical changes to fit his agenda.

Here's one just announced: Gavin Newsom wants to take away gasoline tax revenue from cities which don't meet state affordable housing goals.

On the surface, this might sound good to you. Who doesn't like affordable housing?

But what this really means is that cities, including small ones, are required to make room for new construction of low-income housing, regardless of the type of area it is, or what they have to destroy to create room for it.

Did you work hard to earn and save enough money to move your kids to a safe suburb, away from the most of the violent criminal element?

Well, guess what? Now Gavin Newsom wants to move the violent criminal element right into your new neighborhood!

Why? Because... well, affordable housing or something.

Since Newsom cannot force cities to erect low-income housing, he is choosing to punish them by taking away a critical source of funding (the gasoline tax revenue), leaving these cities unable to pay for basics such as road repairs.

Boy do I hate this guy.

Comments

JSTAT: Newsom has been on the fast track to become President. Watch!

Sanlmar: Cali Follies should be a weekly podcast.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Gavin Newsom wants state-sponsored healthcare for illegal immigrants.

You know, because it's important for hardworking Californians to pay to keep healthy the people who shouldn't be here in the first place.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...107-story.html

Load Metric
    Why do you hate poor people? Did you grow up wealthy or are you a class traitor?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Why do you hate poor people? Did you grow up wealthy or are you a class traitor?
    Who said I hate poor people?

I have many poor friends, including Master Scalir. I've bent over backward to help some of them out (not just financially) when they needed it.

This isn't about poor people.

It's about Gavin Newsom.

BTW, speaking of poor people, I'd be glad to support making them completely tax exempt (except sales/gas tax, which would be too cumbersome). Let them keep 100% of their paychecks. I have a lot of empathy for poor people -- at least the ones who are working or trying to find work (or have legitimate reasons why they aren't).

But Gavin Newsom is terrible.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    sounds to me like Druff hates huckster politicians that take advantage of well-meaning but naive citizens

Load Metric
    Let those poor and disadvantaged people live around the criminals but we rich people who got lucky shouldn’t have to deal with crime! Those hard on their luck and born into terrible situations with almost zero prospect to escape a life of poverty should deal with it instead!

I can’t believe the governor wants to integrate poor people in my neighbourhood. Doesn’t he know all poor people are criminals? How can we let our kids play on the street if poor people live nearby?

And I’m sure this has absolutely nothing to do with race. (Coincidentally I see how you brought up the I have black friends defence but this time for poor people).

Comments

duped_samaritan:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW, speaking of poor people, I'd be glad to support making them completely tax exempt (except sales/gas tax, which would be too cumbersome). Let them keep 100% of their paychecks. I have a lot of empathy for poor people -- at least the ones who are working or trying to find work (or have legitimate reasons why they aren't).
    already done, lookup earned income credit on Form 1040;

you'd know about this if you were poor or born in another country then moved to the US
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 12-05-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

you'd know about this if you were poor or born in another country then moved to the US

yep, Druff should know better. besides, they need to file to get their "earned income" tax credit. those flat screens and iPhones aren't going to pay for themselves.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

I know about the EIC. I was talking about both eliminating filing for that plus raising the floor to where poorer people get taxed on their income.

Load Metric
    Gavin Newsom wants state-sponsored healthcare for illegal immigrants.

You know, because it's important for hardworking Californians to pay to keep healthy the people who shouldn't be here in the first place.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...107-story.html
    Newsom is the nut low. We’d be much better off with 8 more years of Captain Moonbeam. As least he is cannabis friendly, which helps my business, but only because he sees it a another cash cow for the state.

Load Metric
    I'm already giving credit to Newsom for winning reelection as California governor in 2022, because.... well, who are we kidding? This is California.

So buckle up, we have to deal with him for 8 years.

Newsom has replaced another liberal Democrat governor, Jerry Brown.

However, Jerry Brown wasn't your typical Democrat. He had his own ideas and marched to his own drum. He frequently pissed off his own party, given his fiscal restraint and overruling of parole board decisions.

Newsom is no Jerry Brown. Instead, he's probably going to out-liberal the already leftist California state legislature, aggressively pushing for radical changes to fit his agenda.

Here's one just announced: Gavin Newsom wants to take away gasoline tax revenue from cities which don't meet state affordable housing goals.

On the surface, this might sound good to you. Who doesn't like affordable housing?

But what this really means is that cities, including small ones, are required to make room for new construction of low-income housing, regardless of the type of area it is, or what they have to destroy to create room for it.

Did you work hard to earn and save enough money to move your kids to a safe suburb, away from the most of the violent criminal element?

Well, guess what? Now Gavin Newsom wants to move the violent criminal element right into your new neighborhood!

Why? Because... well, affordable housing or something.

Since Newsom cannot force cities to erect low-income housing, he is choosing to punish them by taking away a critical source of funding (the gasoline tax revenue), leaving these cities unable to pay for basics such as road repairs.

Boy do I hate this guy.
    I'm not knowledgeable about who chooses who gets to live in these low income housing units in California, but if it's someone in the public or nonprofit sector then your concerns about some of the people you'll get are valid. If the landlords get to choose, then your new neighbors are likely to be dangerous baristas and gay waiters who only can afford to live in vans in the San Francisco and Los Angeles areas. Other than living in their mothers' homes, I have no clue how young people in the retail and service sectors get by when it comes to housing in California.

As for Newsom, as long as California's elected Republicans are mostly hopeless Trumpites who will never win statewide elections there, the Democratic Party will continue to move further and further to the left since the primary is actually the election. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Republicans often shut out in a number of races on the November ballot because of the state's weird "top two" primaries? If true, that's pretty pathetic. In Democratic Massachusetts, Republicans have held their own by electing and reelecting governors who are moderates including the present governor because they are reasonable alternatives to ultraliberals and don't despise the people they hope to govern.

Thread Information