Thread: 25 years ago today: Northridge earthquake

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

25 years ago today: Northridge earthquake

The biggest and most destructive earthquake in recent Los Angeles history happened exactly 25 years ago today, on January 17, 1994 at 4:30am.

Northridge Meadows, an apartment complex in Northridge, CA near the epicenter, had a partial collapse, resulting in 16 deaths.

Interstate 5 near Newhall, CA had a section collapse, killing a motorcycle cop:

Interstate 10 also was damaged, and was closed for 3 months for repairs, causing major traffic issues in Los Angeles.

The quake was felt most in the San Fernando Valley, where it was centered. Many people living there felt that they were about to die as the violent shaking occurred. It was felt strongly all throughout southern California.

The quake also released a giant dust cloud in the air, which could be seen all throughout southern California.

I had an interesting story involving that quake in two ways.

First, I was at my parent's house that night, and would have likely been awake and on the computer in my dad's office at 4:30am. A large bookcase crashed down during the quake and would have injured me badly, unless I was quick enough to get out of the way. However, I wasn't home that night.

Instead, I was on a date with a girl I had met at a party line party. That's right. I didn't meet her on the party line, but rather met her at a get-together for the party line the week prior. Near the end of the night, she approached me and gave me her phone number, and I went to go take her out on the night of January 16.

She was a nice girl, and almost the exact same age as me (we were both turning 22 within 1-2 months), but she lived in a trailer in a kinda trashy neighborhood in Cypress, CA. She worked as a hairdresser and supported herself, so I guess that's what she could afford.

I forgot what we did that night, but we ended up going back to her trailer. I noticed a display shelf with lots of plates featuring cheetahs. I asked her about them, and she told me they were her prize possessions, and she had been collecting the cheetah plates all her life.

"That display doesn't look secure. It could easily go down in an earthquake," I told her.

"No, we've had earthquakes many times before. It's never gone down, and the plates were all fine," she confidently replied.

"Yeah, well I think it would go down if there was a big one. You better do something about that," I said.

Shortly after that, we were messing around, and we pretty much did that and listened to music for the rest of the evening.

We were having sex at 4:30, with KZLA (then a Los Angeles country music station) on in the background.

Suddenly, the song being played (I still remember it, "Wild One" by Faith Hill) started skipping.

It was distracting enough to where I commented on it.

"Stupid station... nobody paying attention late at night", I remarked.

I didn't realize it yet, but that was my 10-second warning that a quake was coming. KZLA's Los Angeles studios were closer to the epicenter than Cypress, where I was.

Ten seconds later, the lights started flickering. I knew what was next.

"Oh no!! It's an earthquake!", I shouted, and we both jumped out of bed.

Sure enough, the trailer started shaking violently.

I don't know what came over me, but somehow my thoughts came back to her display of stupid plates, not my own safety.

"The plates!!!", I yelled.

I jumped over to the display and held it in place. Despite heavy shaking, I was able to hold it steady enough, while blocking the plates with my body, to where only a single plate (out of like 20) fell to the ground and broke.

The shaking stopped after about a minute, and she profusely thanked me for saving the plates.

I remember driving back to my parents' house on the 405 freeway and seeing the clouds of dust in the air.

The whole thing was surreal. That was my only talk of a "big earthquake" in years, and sure enough, it happened just hours later.

Los Angeles hasn't had another major quake since.

I never saw that girl again.

Comments

splitthis: Banging trailer trash

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Postscript:

Cal State Northridge sustained heavy damage, and was closed for 6 months.

In July, 1994, it reopened, and Mayor Richard Riordan was there.

Riordan also appeared on big talk station KFI during the event, which was being celebrated on the station.

Master Scalir called into the show, and baited Riordan into talking trash about a city somewhat nearby.

"I know we have earthquakes here, but Los Angeles is the best city in the world," remarked Ken. "You should be glad you're mayor of LA, and not a boring city like Bakersfield!"

Riordan took the bait and replied, "Yeah, Bakersfield IS boring!", and the crowd behind him cheered.

KFI had a strong signal which reached Bakersfield, and the residents hearing the show were angry. Eventually the Mayor of Bakersfield demanded that Riordan travel 110 miles north to the city, and take a tour of it in order to understand that it wasn't "boring". Riordan actually agreed to do it.

This entire situation made the front page of the LA Times: http://articles.latimes.com/1994-07-...ield-city-hall

Ken chose to cite Bakersfield as the "boring" city as an inside joke aimed at me, because I had sex with two girls from Bakersfield in recent times prior to that call, and I had told him that the town seemed boring.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In before some asshole makes a comment about me turning an earthquake thread about me.

Well, it's my thread on my forum about my personal experience during the earthquake, so you better fucking believe it's going to be about me.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: self absorption rep

splitthis: Lol

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Decent story. Let’s see if I can one up It.

I was sleeping in my bed when the quake hit. It woke me up. I went to the doorway of my bedroom.l and stood there for a few seconds. Then the quaking stopped. There was no major damage that I can remember.

The end.

Load Metric
    So when is the next big San Francisco quake due?

For years I've been on a promise that one was on its way.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    The big dust cloud was from the aftershock the next day iirc. I slept through the quake despite living about 20 miles from the epicenter.

Load Metric
    Druff, did she “thank” you for saving her cheetah plates before you left? (Substitute “saving cheetah plates” for “diamonds” in the following video.)

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    The big dust cloud was from the aftershock the next day iirc. I slept through the quake despite living about 20 miles from the epicenter.
    Unlike Druff, your girlfriend thought the earth shaking experience was you that night

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    100% I saw a dust cloud in the sky while driving on the 405 a few hours later.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    In before some asshole makes a comment about me turning an earthquake thread about me.

Well, it's my thread on my forum about my personal experience during the earthquake, so you better fucking believe it's going to be about me.

In before some asshole makes some comment about Todd being on the internet at 430am at his parents. More of a Tyde-esque callout tho.

Comments

splitthis: Thot the same thing
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

We were having sex at 4:30, with KZLA (then a Los Angeles country music station) on in the background.

Suddenly, the song being played (I still remember it, "Wild One" by Faith Hill) started skipping.

It was distracting enough to where I commented on it.

"Stupid station... nobody paying attention late at night", I remarked.

I never saw that girl again.
    Yeah I wonder why you never saw her again.
    Talking about the music being played in the background while having
    sex (I doubt the whole story) will not impose a lasting impression
    other than run, run fast, run far.

Also people who don't drink or do serious drugs are not just getting
    to the sex portion of a date at 4:30 a.m.
    Unless you met this broad at some circuit board convention
    she was probably fast asleep as you wooed her with your sweet comments
    about the radio station.
    Last edited by limitles; 01-17-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Thread Information