Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Guy loses $750,000 as DraftKings' slow grade of only some bets causes him to miss winning Inaugural NFL Championship Contest

  1. #1

    Guy loses $750,000 as DraftKings' slow grade of only some bets causes him to miss winning Inaugural NFL Championship Contest

    This is pretty bad.

    https://www.betchicago.com/draft-kin...-rufus-peabody

    Guy wins 3rd in the contest for 250,000. He was in first place before the last game of the tourney, saying he was planning to bet his whole balance on the Saints-Eagles Under 53 which won handily. It would have won him $1 Million. But since his previous bet didn't grade before kickoff (he was one of several contest entries who couldn't get anything down because his balance was $0.01 before the final game started), he couldn't do it.

    It's as if the digital pen didn't work on Final Jeopardy where you went all in and would have won if Alex Trebek could see your (to him) invisible scribblings.

    So this should-be win of $1 Milly becomes a $250K win, possibly because of not-up-to snuff technology on Draft Kings' back end.




    Bad beat of bad beats.

  2. #2
    Gold duped_samaritan's Avatar
    Reputation
    424
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,326
    Was it Draft Kings a couple months ago that took a few crazy odds bets due to a 12 second glitch that printed out they would pay $80k instead of a couple hundred - then refused to pay - then buckled under national media attention and paid them out?

    If so, it should give this guy some hope I guess.

     
    Comments
      
      Forum Wars: I believe that was DK, yes.

  3. #3
    Here's ESPN's story on it:

    http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...ng-final-wager

    The one thing I didn't realize was that he Draft Kings only had 4 mins to grade the bets before the next game started (see bolded below)

    Leader prevented from making final wager in $2.5M betting contest

    1:41 AM ET

    David PurdumBen Fawkes

    A national sports betting handicapping contest with a $2.5 million prize pool ended in controversy Sunday in New Jersey, after the Day 3 leader was prevented from making his final wager before the NFC divisional-round game between the Philadelphia Eagles and New Orleans Saints kicked off.

    A contestant with the username rleejr86 ended up winning the first DraftKings Sports Betting National Championship instead, grabbing the $1 million first prize with a final bet of $47,500 on the Eagles +8.5.

    The Saints won 20-14, but the Eagles covered the spread, boosting rleerjr86's bankroll to a contest-winning $101,474.

    More than 200 bettors from different parts of the country entered the $10,000 buy-in contest and combined to wager more than $5 million during the three-day event that was headquartered in Jersey City.

    However, it was the bets that couldn't be placed by the leader before the final game in the contest kicked off that were the source of dispute.

    Professional sports bettor Rufus Peabody, competing under the username Opti5624, was leading the contest heading into the Eagles-Saints game, with a nearly $82,000 bankroll that he compiled after winning an all-in wager on the New England Patriots -3.5 against the Los Angeles Chargers in Sunday's AFC divisional-round game. The Patriots won 41-28.

    The high-scoring AFC affair ended at 4:37 p.m. ET, just four minutes before the Saints game began. Peabody told ESPN he repeatedly refreshed his browser during those four minutes, waiting for his winnings from the Patriots bet to be credited so he could make what he says would have been one last all-in bet on either the Saints at various point spreads or under 52 points.

    The only problem? His winnings weren't credited to his account until after the NFC game kicked off. He was locked out of making his final bet.

    "I had spent the last 2.5 hours running over all the numbers," said Peabody, the co-founder of football analytics site Massey-Peabody and a former ESPN employee. "And, as it goes at the end, I was going back and forth: 'Which one am I going to do? Am I going to pull the trigger?' It was going to be a Saints bet of some kind or the under. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance."

    According to data posted on the DraftKings' website, some players were credited their winnings from the Patriots game before Peabody, allowing them to get their final bets in before the NFC game started. Several other contestants also didn't get their bets from the AFC game credited in time to make final play on Eagles-Saints. On Sunday, the final day of the contest, bettor were allowed to wager only on the two NFL divisional-round playoff games. No more bets were allowed after the NFC game began.

    Peabody posted a screenshot to social media of his DraftKings contest account with a $0.01 balance and the time on the computer showing 4:41 p.m., right as Eagles-Saints kicked off.

    View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter

    Rufus Peabody
    @RufusPeabody
    Balance $0.01. Game: started

    25
    4:50 PM - Jan 13, 2019
    30 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    "We recognize that in the rules the scheduled end of betting [kickoff of the NFC divisional-round game] coincided very closely to the finish of the of Patriots-Chargers game," James Chisolm, a spokesman from DraftKings, said in a statement. "While we must follow our contest rules, we sincerely apologize for the experience several customers had where their bets were not graded in time to allow wagering on the Saints-Eagles game. We will learn from this experience and improve upon the rules and experience for future events."

    DraftKings did not immediately respond to a follow-up question regarding why some accounts were credited their winnings from the Chargers-Patriots game before others.

    The DraftKings Sports Betting National Championship was the first of its kind since states outside of Nevada began authorizing legal sports betting after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in May. It was held in a nondescript building in Jersey City. In the rented venue, tables, couches and chairs were spread out in front of dozens of TVs. There were also strobe lights, two open bars and plenty of cheering and groaning.

    Peabody said overall he enjoyed the format and understood that it was tough situation for everyone involved. He ended up in third place and will be taking home more than $330,000.

    "It doesn't feel like it," he added. "I felt like was in position for a 50-50 shot at the million [dollars]."

    Asked whether he had contacted legal representation, Peabody declined comment.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Was it Draft Kings a couple months ago that took a few crazy odds bets due to a 12 second glitch that printed out they would pay $80k instead of a couple hundred - then refused to pay - then buckled under national media attention and paid them out?

    If so, it should give this guy some hope I guess.
    it was fanduel's sportsbook

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    Here's ESPN's story on it:

    http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...ng-final-wager

    The one thing I didn't realize was that he Draft Kings only had 4 mins to grade the bets before the next game started (see bolded below)

    Leader prevented from making final wager in $2.5M betting contest

    1:41 AM ET

    David PurdumBen Fawkes

    A national sports betting handicapping contest with a $2.5 million prize pool ended in controversy Sunday in New Jersey, after the Day 3 leader was prevented from making his final wager before the NFC divisional-round game between the Philadelphia Eagles and New Orleans Saints kicked off.

    A contestant with the username rleejr86 ended up winning the first DraftKings Sports Betting National Championship instead, grabbing the $1 million first prize with a final bet of $47,500 on the Eagles +8.5.

    The Saints won 20-14, but the Eagles covered the spread, boosting rleerjr86's bankroll to a contest-winning $101,474.

    More than 200 bettors from different parts of the country entered the $10,000 buy-in contest and combined to wager more than $5 million during the three-day event that was headquartered in Jersey City.

    However, it was the bets that couldn't be placed by the leader before the final game in the contest kicked off that were the source of dispute.

    Professional sports bettor Rufus Peabody, competing under the username Opti5624, was leading the contest heading into the Eagles-Saints game, with a nearly $82,000 bankroll that he compiled after winning an all-in wager on the New England Patriots -3.5 against the Los Angeles Chargers in Sunday's AFC divisional-round game. The Patriots won 41-28.

    The high-scoring AFC affair ended at 4:37 p.m. ET, just four minutes before the Saints game began. Peabody told ESPN he repeatedly refreshed his browser during those four minutes, waiting for his winnings from the Patriots bet to be credited so he could make what he says would have been one last all-in bet on either the Saints at various point spreads or under 52 points.

    The only problem? His winnings weren't credited to his account until after the NFC game kicked off. He was locked out of making his final bet.

    "I had spent the last 2.5 hours running over all the numbers," said Peabody, the co-founder of football analytics site Massey-Peabody and a former ESPN employee. "And, as it goes at the end, I was going back and forth: 'Which one am I going to do? Am I going to pull the trigger?' It was going to be a Saints bet of some kind or the under. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance."

    According to data posted on the DraftKings' website, some players were credited their winnings from the Patriots game before Peabody, allowing them to get their final bets in before the NFC game started. Several other contestants also didn't get their bets from the AFC game credited in time to make final play on Eagles-Saints. On Sunday, the final day of the contest, bettor were allowed to wager only on the two NFL divisional-round playoff games. No more bets were allowed after the NFC game began.

    Peabody posted a screenshot to social media of his DraftKings contest account with a $0.01 balance and the time on the computer showing 4:41 p.m., right as Eagles-Saints kicked off.

    View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter

    Rufus Peabody
    @RufusPeabody
    Balance $0.01. Game: started

    25
    4:50 PM - Jan 13, 2019
    30 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    "We recognize that in the rules the scheduled end of betting [kickoff of the NFC divisional-round game] coincided very closely to the finish of the of Patriots-Chargers game," James Chisolm, a spokesman from DraftKings, said in a statement. "While we must follow our contest rules, we sincerely apologize for the experience several customers had where their bets were not graded in time to allow wagering on the Saints-Eagles game. We will learn from this experience and improve upon the rules and experience for future events."

    DraftKings did not immediately respond to a follow-up question regarding why some accounts were credited their winnings from the Chargers-Patriots game before others.

    The DraftKings Sports Betting National Championship was the first of its kind since states outside of Nevada began authorizing legal sports betting after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in May. It was held in a nondescript building in Jersey City. In the rented venue, tables, couches and chairs were spread out in front of dozens of TVs. There were also strobe lights, two open bars and plenty of cheering and groaning.

    Peabody said overall he enjoyed the format and understood that it was tough situation for everyone involved. He ended up in third place and will be taking home more than $330,000.

    "It doesn't feel like it," he added. "I felt like was in position for a 50-50 shot at the million [dollars]."

    Asked whether he had contacted legal representation, Peabody declined comment.
    Lesson is this: Don't fucking leave 1 penny in your account dumbass assuming youll have your winnings in hand to bet the next contest within a minute or two.. Technology is fast but making an assumption that it would work out was his fault.. WTF was he going to do if the NFC Div game kicked off before the Pats SD game ended because of some weird weather delay or injury or something.. JFC he fucked himself he needs to STFU and quit whining.. Next time if he wants to make the bets he needs to make sure he has enough to cover shit in case this happens.. This would be like some idiot betting all in on red on Roulette then thinking he could run across the casino with his winnings before a table across the floor changing shooters on a craps table and he was betting on the come out..

  6. #6
    Ryback,

    It was a contest. You do things, sometimes counterintuitive things to give yourself a shot versus the other competitors.

    There were guys making ridiculous parlays - plays they would never make in real life in a “win the tournament or go to zero approach”.

    That is why calling the winner a Handicap Champion is kind of innacurate. The winner had a winning tournament strategy. Sound familiar?

    There will be more of these contests. Teething problems.

  7. #7
    Gold duped_samaritan's Avatar
    Reputation
    424
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Ryback,

    It was a contest. You do things, sometimes counterintuitive things to give yourself a shot versus the other competitors.

    There were guys making ridiculous parlays - plays they would never make in real life in a “win the tournament or go to zero approach”.

    That is why calling the winner a Handicap Champion is kind of innacurate. The winner had a winning tournament strategy. Sound familiar?

    There will be more of these contests. Teething problems.
    Should be pretty easy to understand for anyone familiar with the difference between poker tourneys and cash games.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. $50k Championship Contest
    By simpdog in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM
  2. DraftKings investigating possible collusion in Sunday Millionare Maker contest
    By ftpjesus in forum Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2016, 02:51 PM
  3. ****PFA's INAUGURAL FIXED LIMIT COLLOSASORUS********
    By limitles in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-07-2015, 09:33 AM
  4. Pic of Wilt Chamberlain in the 4th grade
    By ThreeBet in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
  5. *** $93 FREEROLL *** Fantasy Masters Golf Championship Contest
    By neveragain39 in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •