Thread: Actual Lock - Roe V. Wade repealed with Trump in office -300

Load Metric
    Remember folks - Abortion rights are a top Democratic Party priority

Name:  EB4B0273-36FD-4276-8343-506CD221D38B.jpeg
Views: 209
Size:  138.0 KB

Gold
    Load Metric
    It is interesting how when the abortion issue comes up, suddenly the term "woman" becomes re-linked to the female sex and reproduction, and the term "birthing person" is dropped from the lexicon.

Load Metric
    Big week overall for Freedom Party stripping away rights.

Comments

The Boz: Did they just GIVE more rights to NY citizens?
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Gold
    Load Metric
    Given the predictable downstream ramifications of putting up barriers to abortions (namely unwanted children who go on to become antisocial drains on society), I am pro abortion rights. But I dont pretend to be enough of a Constitutional scholar to weigh in whether it is Constitutional for the federal govt to guarantee abortion rights. And I suspect the vast majority of people with strong opinions on this case are similarly unqualified.

Load Metric
    Seemed given at this point republicans were taking 2024 easily. And then they go ahead and do this… I guess it’s true when they say be careful what you wish for when you stack the court conservative.

Load Metric
    Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas wrote a concurring opinion in Friday's ruling overturning Roe v. Wade arguing the court should reconsider rulings that protect same-sex marriage and contraception.

Imagine that these are the people who are entrusted to protect your freedoms.

Load Metric
    when you think about the sheer volume of republican voters who voted red completely confident that nothing they did could ever jeopardize the legality / access to abortion in their home states, its hard to overstate the potential negative impact the scotus decision might have on unifying right wing voters behind what now constitutes a fundamental pillar of right wing politics.

no female voter less brain damaged that splitthis will vote red. no male voter who has ever stared down the barrel of 18 years of child support after drunkenly busting a nut will vote red.

they will either vote blue (ensuring very few republican victories), or they will fracture the republican vote between pro-life and pro-choice candidates (ensuring very few republican victories), or they wont vote (ensuring very few republican victories).
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    when you think about the sheer volume of republican voters who voted red completely confident that nothing they did could ever jeopardize the legality / access to abortion in their home states, its hard to overstate the potential negative impact the scotus decision might have on unifying right wing voters behind what now constitutes a fundamental pillar of right wing politics.

no female voter less brain damaged that splitthis will vote red. no male voter who has ever stared down the barrel of 18 years of child support after drunkenly busting a nut will vote red.

they will either vote blue (ensuring very few republican victories), or they will fracture the republican vote between pro-life and pro-choice candidates (ensuring very few republican victories), or they wont vote (ensuring very few republican victories).
    I think you are drastically overstating this but the point is generally valid.

Comments

sonatine: kinda my brand tho

Load Metric

You should be happy more crack, sorry black babies will be born now. It will help raise their numbers in the population so we can stop hearing how much crime the 13% causes. It won’t sound as bad if they can get it up to 15%.

Comments

1marley1: Stupid fucking racist retard rep

dwai: offset the n-word lover

Gold
    Load Metric

I think current events highlight how maybe our current 2 party system gives the fringe right and left way too much political influence. I don’t know the mechanics how we go about it, but it seems a switch the a more parliamentary system would be a great idea.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Big win for 10 year old boys

Load Metric
    Name:  971531F1-E600-4B78-B323-6160C33C8BB1.png
Views: 178
Size:  306.5 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Big week overall for Freedom Party stripping away rights.
    Apparently it should have never been a right….the law is settled.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

I think current events highlight how maybe our current 2 party system gives the fringe right and left way too much political influence. I don’t know the mechanics how we go about it, but it seems a switch the a more parliamentary system would be a great idea.

The two party system is fucked, but the primary system is even more fucked. It only allows for loons to emerge on both sides. Right now you’re absolutely drawing dead on the right if you don’t full throat insanity like the election rigged nonsense and conspiracy theory. On the left you have to be 100% fully woke. About the only sane people I’ve seen emerge in a few cycles are like a Dem in some bluish enclave of a red state, or. Republican in like Massachusetts or California. Those are the only exceptions to the full nutter ideology. In the vast majority of places, you have to run to the extreme to get the nomination, or even if you emerge, you’re absolutely drawing dead like a GOP nom in a statewide CA race or a Dem here. They try to run to the sane, but have no shot.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Horseshoe

Load Metric

I truthfully have no idea how this is going to play out in the short term. It’s to toxic for Dems right now with the economy, and this feels like an issue where it’s going to take a few cycles where the real world implications play out.

Knowing mostly white people, I know far more GOP girls who have gotten abortions than Dems. Many were once Dems.

Most current Dems I know are better educated here. This is rust belt white people. This is definitely going to make them uncomfortable as almost every single Trump voter I know would say they’re against abortion, yet snap insist their daughter get one if they got knocked up by anyone they disapproved of and would cut them off if they didn’t.

But I don’t think that outweighs $5 gas and everything else in the short term.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

I truthfully have no idea how this is going to play out in the short term. It’s to toxic for Dems right now with the economy, and this feels like an issue where it’s going to take a few cycles where the real world implications play out.

Knowing mostly white people, I know far more GOP girls who have gotten abortions than Dems. Many were once Dems.

Most current Dems I know are better educated here. This is rust belt white people. This is definitely going to make them uncomfortable as almost every single Trump voter I know would say they’re against abortion, yet snap insist their daughter get one if they got knocked up by anyone they disapproved of and would cut them off if they didn’t.

The borders are close enough and there is plenty of blue states nearby that it seems like this shouldn’t be a massive deal for even lower class (white) people in the Midwest to travel and get an abortion.

Seems this will really cause some issues for the poor in the South where modest obstacles to abortion really will cause -EV outcomes for everyone.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

The borders are close enough and there is plenty of blue states nearby that it seems like this shouldn’t be a massive deal for even lower class (white) people in the Midwest to travel and get an abortion.

Seems this will really cause some issues for the poor in the South where modest obstacles to abortion really will cause -EV outcomes for everyone.
    This is going to be a non-issue where I live on the border. I assume Ohio scraps it and PA immediately makes it easier than ever. Over half of abortions and trending upwards are now medication abortions where you can get it through the mail. It would be a matter of having any friend five miles away let you use their address to get a package.

Now if you see states installing draconian laws where it’s a felony to get one or even help someone get one if you’re a resident like I’ve seen in some states, then it’s a bigger issue. I’d guess most places that outlaw it will also have laws like that on the books. We are at that point where it’s super polarized and any elected Republican here will have to be fully onboard with draconian laws.

I don’t see this as something that swings anything short term as I said. But they’ll push it to the extreme because that’s what we do now on any issue, and we will see then.

Load Metric

you might be right. and by the time the saudis stop fucking with us and the economy absorbs all that fake liquidity and inflation drops, there will be thousands if not millions of teenage parents in flyover states living in rented studio apartments while their first generation indian american bosses threaten to fire them from their jobs at subway if they fail one more piss test.

...perhaps i was overly optimistic in my assumption that their parents would see that coming and vote it away.

which reminds me...

very early on in the trump train thread, druff and i had an exchange where he was like 'none of this [trumps populism] is going to come to anything, yall just love being hysterical' and i pointed out that roe vs wade was going to get ethered and that is, in fact, a really big deal, and druff snap responded with 'roe vs wade will never be repealed, the left just loves to trot it out as a boogeyman to scare people into voting for them'.

and im not bringing that up to slag on druff, im bringing it up because that perspective was absolutely canon among right wingers. and if theres one thing history has put a spotlight on lately, its that right wingers tend to double down on their mistakes if the alternative is admitting they fucked up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Comments

Sanlmar: Druffs feel for republican politics has been ice cold for years
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    The “funny” part of all of this is a majority of the women I’m connected with on social media that are having an epic meltdown over all this live in Massachusetts and Florida.

Absolutely nothing will change for any of them, their friends or their daughters today tomorrow or anytime in the next 10 years (Florida abortion is constitutionally protected and takes an act of God to change).

Load Metric
    Massachusetts Irish Catholic, what do you think?

Marky, Ricky, Danny, Terry, Mikey, Davey, Timmy, Tommy, Joey, Robby, Johnny, and Brian.

Comments

1marley1: it’s not your fault

Daly: Tasters choice moment between men rep

Thread Information