Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2019 Thread

Load Metric
    GrenadaRoger, walk me through Guggenheim. I don’t know why the fund raising.

Are they looking to diversify into other entertainment venues? This is my uninformed feel so far.

Are they already affected by other deals gone wrong? Are the Dodgers one bad summer movie away from not having money for a 3rd baseman?

How can the Dodgers fuck this up? You don’t sell sports teams on the basis of P/L and cash flow. If you bink a score 20 years from now that is an accident of marriage.

Did Steinbrenner really foresee the appreciation of the Yankees?

No, you sell pieces on the basis glamour and love of the game. You need the now donkdown Tigers pizza guy, John Henry or Angels Moreno. Guys with too much money and the wish for contact and access.

The Dodgers are set to continue a string of bad ownership? Boy, they just can’t win.

Load Metric
    You know who sold limited partnerships like the Dodgers?

Sorry bigdick, the Cubs. My understanding is they needed relief after the stadium renovation.

So now Epstein is peddling Bryant or virtually anyone else. Make him an offer. Epstein is god unlike Friedman. You have to trust him. He’s earned it.

However

As well, the Cubs -- despite vast revenues and designs on a championship -- may be dealing with budget constraints from ownership. That means they may need to get creative in order to address roster holes. Maybe it takes a trade of Bryant to make that happen.*
    Interesting. This all bears watching.

Sorry bigdick & Druff

You know what’s funny and serious? The Padres are likely to win a World Series before the Dodgers. Padres are owned in part by the O’Malley kids. Yeah, Walter O’Malley old Dodgers owner.

Padres farm system jacked to the tits

Load Metric
    If the Cubs trade KB just to save some money i'm gonna be pissed

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Are they looking to diversify into other entertainment venues? This is my uninformed feel so far.

Are they already affected by other deals gone wrong? Are the Dodgers one bad summer movie away from not having money for a 3rd baseman?

How can the Dodgers fuck this up? You don’t sell sports teams on the basis of P/L and cash flow. If you bink a score 20 years from now that is an accident of marriage.

No, you sell pieces on the basis glamour and love of the game. You need the now donkdown Tigers pizza guy, John Henry or Angels Moreno. Guys with too much money and the wish for contact and access.

The Dodgers are set to continue a string of bad ownership? Boy, they just can’t win.
    per Wikipedia re: Guggenheim Partners

Guggenheim Baseball Management

In March 2012, Guggenheim Baseball Management acquired the Los Angeles Dodgers professional baseball team for $2.15 billion in cash. The consortium consisted of Guggenheim controlling partner Mark Walter, which also includes investors former Los Angeles Laker Earvin "Magic" Johnson and partners Peter Guber, Stan Kasten, Bobby Patton and Todd Boehly. The acquisition includes the surrounding land and parking lot of Dodger Stadium.[26] Mark Walter said of the acquisition: "It's a lot of money, but if we do our jobs right...the long-term point of view is that people will see that the value was there."

so its been 6 years now and one or more of the partners wants out/to take some profit
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    MORE LIKE JEWGENHEIM FPS GET IN HERE THIS INSTANT

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

per Wikipedia re: Guggenheim Partners

Guggenheim Baseball Management

In March 2012, Guggenheim Baseball Management acquired the Los Angeles Dodgers professional baseball team for $2.15 billion in cash. The consortium consisted of Guggenheim controlling partner Mark Walter, which also includes investors former Los Angeles Laker Earvin "Magic" Johnson and partners Peter Guber, Stan Kasten, Bobby Patton and Todd Boehly. The acquisition includes the surrounding land and parking lot of Dodger Stadium.[26] Mark Walter said of the acquisition: "It's a lot of money, but if we do our jobs right...the long-term point of view is that people will see that the value was there."

so its been 6 years now and one or more of the partners wants out/to take some profit
    above is a simple explanation...the more sinister one is Guggenheim Partners has used annuity insurance premium money to buy the Dodgers, a very risky investment choice for a life insurance company, one that will take years to blow up

https://www.laweekly.com/news/who-is...-money-6120682

and maybe its time the annuity holders policies need paying

Comments

Sanlmar: Bernie Madoff & I loved this. Thanks
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 11-11-2018 at 01:29 AM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    AHEM more like jewgenheim partners is this thing on

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

above is a simple explanation...the more sinister one is Guggenheim Partners has used annuity insurance premium money to buy the Dodgers, a very risky investment choice for a life insurance company, one that will take years to blow up

https://www.laweekly.com/news/who-is...-money-6120682

and maybe its time the annuity holders policies need paying
    How sick am I that a financial story about an insurance company brought me so much joy. Thanks Grenada.

Tick, tick, tick. This is better than I could have ever imagined. I will reread that article again (and again).

So utterly fantastic. I knew something didn’t quite compute. Just made zero sense.

Especially loved the suddenly vanishing lawsuits.

Fraud and abstract financial art are never revealed during go-go years. The inevitable cleansing downtown will come.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    interesting Harold baines gets voted into the HOF by the 'todays committee'...

I looked at his numbers, I mean this is a tough sell...he definitely belongs in the hall of very good to be sure...he had almost 2900 hits (granted he did play for 22 seasons), but he wasn't even a 40 win guy (38.8)...I mean to put a guy in the HOF who wasn't even an average of a 2 win player seems like a stretch considering guys like edgar Martinez who was almost a 70 win guy isn't in...I love edgar, but man his case is kinda rough even though he was probably up there with tony gwynn as the best pure hitter of that generation of players...

Load Metric
    Dodgers sign former Red Sox reliever Joe “Machine Gun” Kelly to 3/$25m

Kelly throws hard but always had control issues. Ironically I remember Kelly beaning a Dodger years ago and that injury haunted them in the playoffs. Can’t remember who it was.

Young Kelly initially was to be a starter but the lack of control and injuries prevented that. Recently he was moved to the pen. Every time Kelly was brought out in middle relief you knew there would be some excitement and you might even witness a potential homicide as his 100mph heater could and would end up anywhere.

2018 he had an ERA of 4.39 & 1.36 WHIP in his second season of working exclusively as a reliever with the Red Sox over 65 innings of work.

Kelly surprised everyone - especially Red Sox fans - when he pitched 11 innings of brilliant relief in the World Series against the hapless Dodgers

This is what astounds me. The Dodgers alledge their strength lies in analytics and rational thought. Kelly has an outlier performance against the Dodgers and of course it affects them personally. Further, the experience is pure RECENCY BIAS. Kelly’s long history and 2018 stats are at best mediocre.

Another terrible reliever signing by the Dodgers for all the wrong reasons.

When asked why he signed with the Dodgers, free agent Joe Kelly said they were the only team that offered 3 years

Comments

big dick: hapless dodgers LOL
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 12-17-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hey look, I'm going to agree with a Sanlmar Dodgers-hating take.

The Druff rule about relief pitching is, "Never sign a reliever to an expensive multi-year deal, unless he's one of the top closers, and even then you might want to avoid it."

Mariano Rivera was worth the money, and not just in hindsight.

Kenley Jansen looked like a safe bet on the surface, but his weird health problems made him a bit riskier than it appeared, and indeed they're now having some issues with him. But fine... you're a big market team, you have to spend to keep a guy like Kenley, because if you don't, and if he continues blowing batters away at the same pace as he had the prior years, you'll feel like a fool. He's not easily replaceable.

But middle relief is a different story. It's a revolving door. Nearly-unhittable middle relievers this year can turn into garbage next year. On the flip side, you will always have some ne'er-do-well middle reliever signing for the minimum, and then somehow is able to blow batters away that year. Then the next year he sucks again. There's just so much fluctuation when it comes to performance of middle relievers, it's foolish to invest much money in them.

When it comes to middle relievers, you should either look within the organization or invite a bunch of scrubs to spring training and keep who looks good. Signing expensive middle relievers rarely works out.

3 years, $25m isn't going to break the bank for the Dodgers, but it's an unnecessary commitment.

The Dodgers have wasted stupid money during the Friedman regime on dumb mid-level salary players where it just didn't seem justified, and where the downside of the deal looked a lot more likely than the upside.

The current front office has been good at two things: Not overpaying for big/huge contracts for questionable players, and scraping up unknowns from baseball's floor and turning them into major contributors.

But they haven't been good at all with these mid-level signings.

BTW, I am predicting that the team which signs Manny Machokedo is going to be really sorry. This guy is a huge bust waiting to happen.

Bryce Harper is a mixed bag. I could see him producing huge, or I could see him being a gigantic disappointment. He does have the tendency to choke in big spots, which is never good.

Load Metric
    Lol wow failing more than a mark McGuire drug test..........typical......
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Remember when Troy Tulowitzki was one of the most feared hitters in baseball, just a few years ago?

Now you can have him for the MLB minimum.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...on-not-to-play

The Blue Jays are stuck paying him $38 million for the remainder of his contract, despite the fact that he's been released.

Many teams are interested in him, but the Dodgers aren't one of them, with Seager returning.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Remember when Troy Tulowitzki was one of the most feared hitters in baseball, just a few years ago?

Now you can have him for the MLB minimum.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...on-not-to-play

The Blue Jays are stuck paying him $38 million for the remainder of his contract, despite the fact that he's been released.

Many teams are interested in him, but the Dodgers aren't one of them, with Seager returning.

I was surprised they just straight released him. Toronto does have an abundance of infield prospects all about MLB-ready (3 of them, ironically, are 2nd gen kids), Guerriel already made it up last year, Vlad Jr, Bichette, and Biggio shouldn't be far off. As much as teams want to control the arb. clock and not have those guys break spring with the team, I assumed if Tulo was healthy he'd get a first month audition and then try to trade him. Peanuts would still be the return (unless he started off on fire), but anything is better than paying him to play elsewhere.

Tulo now is realistically the most value-attractive free agent out there. Only have to pay min wage to him, and you have him at that rate for 2 years. If he's even 70% of his pre-injuries self, thats a steal. Even Fat Panda has so far been worth it for the Giants again, as his production last year was arguably worth the vet minimum.

Load Metric
    Sure looks like some room just opened up for a certain someone to join the Dodgers outfield....

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Wow kemp, Puig and woods to the reds

Welcome Bryce Harper to the dodgers

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

I was waiting for Druff to ask me for guidance here. I can see we need to quell the rumors now.

Remember the hitting coach Puig would kiss after a good AB? Well, that coach is in Cincinnati now.

Furthermore, yung Walker Buehler was hanging out with Puig and enjoying the fame and antics. Dodgers were concerned. They are toast w/o Buehler performing to his full potential. They had to ship Puig.

Now Bryce Harper is serious as a heart attack about his legacy. He wants to be regarded as one of the all time greats. You can debate the merit but that’s Harper’s approach. That requires a World Series or two so that rules out the Dodgers.

Don’t want to end up like Kershaw with an asterisk

Philly is a left hand hitters ballpark and Harper would rewrite the record book. The Ravine at night is where baseballs go to die. Machado and Harper to Philly where the pitching was good but hitting and defense sucked. Snap post season threat.

It’s better you guys heard it from me.

Happy Holidays

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

I was waiting for Druff to ask me for guidance here. I can see we need to quell the rumors now.

Remember the hitting coach Puig would kiss after a good AB? Well, that coach is in Cincinnati now.

Furthermore, yung Walker Buehler was hanging out with Puig and enjoying the fame and antics. Dodgers were concerned. They are toast w/o Buehler performing to his full potential. They had to ship Puig.

Now Bryce Harper is serious as a heart attack about his legacy. He wants to be regarded as one of the all time greats. You can debate the merit but that’s Harper’s approach. That requires a World Series or two so that rules out the Dodgers.

Don’t want to end up like Kershaw with an asterisk

Philly is a left hand hitters ballpark and Harper would rewrite the record book. The Ravine at night is where baseballs go to die. Machado and Harper to Philly where the pitching was good but hitting and defense sucked. Snap post season threat.

It’s better you guys heard it from me.

Happy Holidays
    Philly was 21st in runs scored per game, and 18th in ERA. Their pitching, outside of Nola, leaves a bit to be desired. Can't blame Rhys's bad D n the OF for all that.

There is not much of a draw to Philly right now, besides the blank check. I doubt they get both. Maybe 1.
    Last edited by gut; 12-21-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Wrong thread, drunky

Thread Information