Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2019 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The under 24.5 HR on Seager was a good bet, and now it's a great bet for obvious reasons. I figured it would take some time to shake off the rust. Bet would have been in danger if he stayed healthy, given his recent hot hitting, but of course injury chances are higher with a guy just coming off a year down from injury.
    He was gonna be “load managed” as they say in the NBA. Less AB’s. That’s if he stayed healthy.

I’ve seen TJ first hand and it’s tough and getting back in rhythm was a challenge. You are not the same. It is a discovery for the kid to learn what is the same and what is different. It wasn’t just his arm but hip too.

It wasn’t a lock like Kershaw but it was close.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    what could POSSIBLY go wrong here??

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...aying-montreal

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

I actually came up with this idea years ago (I'm sure I wasn't the first) to have split-market MLB teams. This allows small markets to fill stadiums better, as they'll only have 40-41 games to sell instead of 81.

This might ultimately be what is needed to bring MLB to Vegas. I don't believe the Vegas-area population is big enough to fill seats for 81 games. especially since Vegas has zero nearby cities. It's just Vegas, Henderson, and desert all around for 100+ miles in every direction (200+ in some directions).

The way they're planning the Montreal/Tampa one is stupid. They are talking about splitting the season, rather than alternating. That's stupid. That's a way to burn out the fans in each market (thus defeating the purpose of the whole thing), plus make each market lose interest during the time the team isn't visiting them.

It should alternate with each homestand going to a different place, or at least approximate that.

Load Metric

I actually came up with this idea years ago (I'm sure I wasn't the first) to have split-market MLB teams. This allows small markets to fill stadiums better, as they'll only have 40-41 games to sell instead of 81.

This might ultimately be what is needed to bring MLB to Vegas. I don't believe the Vegas-area population is big enough to fill seats for 81 games. especially since Vegas has zero nearby cities. It's just Vegas, Henderson, and desert all around for 100+ miles in every direction (200+ in some directions).

The way they're planning the Montreal/Tampa one is stupid. They are talking about splitting the season, rather than alternating. That's stupid. That's a way to burn out the fans in each market (thus defeating the purpose of the whole thing), plus make each market lose interest during the time the team isn't visiting them.

It should alternate with each homestand going to a different place, or at least approximate that.
    You do realize this scenario would be MLB player's wives & families worst nightmare.

Why worry about them though? I say fuckem'.

BTW, it worked great for my Expos for those 22 games a year until they moved to Washington. If I saw Jeffery Loria on a random street I'd walk right up to him & kick him as hard as I could right in the nuts.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They would need to split the season evenly. 22 games wouldn't cut it.

Each team needs enough of a home presence to be considered "home" in that particular city.

Regarding the wives and girlfriends, I think they can handle it with their husband bringing home many millions of dollars per year. Or they can just cheat like Ben Zobrist's wife probably did.

Split home seasons could open up MLB to cities like Las Vegas, Memphis, Nashville, Salt Lake City, Portland, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, and Charlotte.

Load Metric
    I’ve thought about split teams before, but it’s hard to wrap your head around. Most of the cities you think of that would seem like the right spots are young booming cities, and it’s an old game at this point as far as viewership. If the Indians did it, I would instantly just give up the sport altogether and I watch most of the games and go to maybe five a year. I’d rather lose the team than share a team. I’ll just fill the time with something productive, but I don’t love the sport like some of you. I’m only watching my team, whereas I can watch any college football game and many NBA games. I’m not a die hard any more at this age, but I’m integral to the team success. When I thought of switching to another far less expensive cable option being rarely home, I opted not to simply because they didn’t offer the Indians channel. I could get every other sporting event. It would have saved me a $100 a month, but I like to have the Indians on. When I get a chance to go I’m a premium ticket buyer, but it’s often last minute and because it works out with a buddy working up in Cleveland or whatever. The first time I’d wake up and see they’re playing a home game in Nashville I’d be done with them.

I don’t want to be fucking with streams. I don’t like proposed rule changes to speed up the game even though I think the game is too long. We’re old people at this point. This seems like something that would work better with the NBA where it’s about the stars and seeing the stars or some soccer team with a younger demo. Most baseball fans are purists. Players come and go, but the team is yours. I think attendance would probably be ok because going to a baseball game is an incredibly enjoyable experience, but passion would be way down.

The strange part is I’m pretty sure I’d feel the same way if I lived in Vegas. I’d still be an Indians fan. I’d pay for the MLB package to watch them, but I’m pretty sure I’d lose interest completely if they did that. I find it way easier to just stop watching as I get older. The NFL style of play has pretty much lost me completely and that was unthinkable to me in my twenties. If you told me I’d be more excited waking up on a Sunday for a premier league game than an NFL game, I would have told you that you were insane. Now it’s often the case. I’d say fuck them if they shared a baseball team. I could let it go.

I think the only way it would work is if it’s like a regional team. If Arizona was struggling and played half the games in Phoenix and half in Tucson or something, or one of those Florida teams playing in two different Florida towns across alligator alley when they were with the Florida Marlins. I’m not about to waste a moment on the Cleveland/Nashville Indians. I’m pretty sure everyone I know would feel that way. We’re stuck in our ways.

Load Metric
    They would need to split the season evenly. 22 games wouldn't cut it.

Each team needs enough of a home presence to be considered "home" in that particular city.

Regarding the wives and girlfriends, I think they can handle it with their husband bringing home many millions of dollars per year. Or they can just cheat like Ben Zobrist's wife probably did.

Split home seasons could open up MLB to cities like Las Vegas, Memphis, Nashville, Salt Lake City, Portland, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, and Charlotte.
    I mentioned the 22 games not because I thought that's what they should do but because that is what they did do with Montreal & Puerto Rico. It was also used as a segue to state my desire to kick Jeffery Loria in the nuts for what he did to my team.

Shocking that I knew you're answer to the family thing was "fuckem" considering you're always so pro woman. I went way out on a limb to call that one & pretty sure nobody saw that one coming.

I noticed you didn't address the "family" part. I totally realize that none of these players should even consider settling down & having kids before they're retired but sometimes others don't live their lives to our thinking & shit happens. I say fuck the kids too(figuratively not literally) as money makes everything good, everyone knows this.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I’ve thought about split teams before, but it’s hard to wrap your head around. Most of the cities you think of that would seem like the right spots are young booming cities, and it’s an old game at this point as far as viewership. If the Indians did it, I would instantly just give up the sport altogether and I watch most of the games and go to maybe five a year. I’d rather lose the team than share a team. I’ll just fill the time with something productive, but I don’t love the sport like some of you. I’m only watching my team, whereas I can watch any college football game and many NBA games. I’m not a die hard any more at this age, but I’m integral to the team success. When I thought of switching to another far less expensive cable option being rarely home, I opted not to simply because they didn’t offer the Indians channel. I could get every other sporting event. It would have saved me a $100 a month, but I like to have the Indians on. When I get a chance to go I’m a premium ticket buyer, but it’s often last minute and because it works out with a buddy working up in Cleveland or whatever. The first time I’d wake up and see they’re playing a home game in Nashville I’d be done with them.

I don’t want to be fucking with streams. I don’t like proposed rule changes to speed up the game even though I think the game is too long. We’re old people at this point. This seems like something that would work better with the NBA where it’s about the stars and seeing the stars or some soccer team with a younger demo. Most baseball fans are purists. Players come and go, but the team is yours. I think attendance would probably be ok because going to a baseball game is an incredibly enjoyable experience, but passion would be way down.

The strange part is I’m pretty sure I’d feel the same way if I lived in Vegas. I’d still be an Indians fan. I’d pay for the MLB package to watch them, but I’m pretty sure I’d lose interest completely if they did that. I find it way easier to just stop watching as I get older. The NFL style of play has pretty much lost me completely and that was unthinkable to me in my twenties. If you told me I’d be more excited waking up on a Sunday for a premier league game than an NFL game, I would have told you that you were insane. Now it’s often the case. I’d say fuck them if they shared a baseball team. I could let it go.

I think the only way it would work is if it’s like a regional team. If Arizona was struggling and played half the games in Phoenix and half in Tucson or something, or one of those Florida teams playing in two different Florida towns across alligator alley when they were with the Florida Marlins. I’m not about to waste a moment on the Cleveland/Nashville Indians. I’m pretty sure everyone I know would feel that way. We’re stuck in our ways.
    the sage wisdom of BCR strikes again...exactly why this would be such an epic fail...

when this first got brought up somebody mentioned that they did this with Omaha/KC (the royals in the NBA???) and it wasn't a fail because it was a regional type deal...you do this MTL/TB shit you have a split fanbase which is not what you want...not helping things if you get 15K in each spot when you have a home game...

Load Metric
    the sage wisdom of BCR strikes again...exactly why this would be such an epic fail...

when this first got brought up somebody mentioned that they did this with Omaha/KC (the royals in the NBA???) and it wasn't a fail because it was a regional type deal...you do this MTL/TB shit you have a split fanbase which is not what you want...not helping things if you get 15K in each spot when you have a home game...
    Yeah, the only split teams I've ever heard of "working" was the Green Bay Packers & by "working" I mean they haven't moved or folded. In this case I assume a large % of the teams fans drove up from the much larger city of Milwaukee anyways making them a true regional team.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Bcr is spot on

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sure the split home schedules aren't ideal, but it's the only option in markets which just can't support MLB, especially with the escalated player salaries.

When the TV money permanently dies (it's almost there already), then teams are really going to be scraping for cash.

Tampa has a problem. Even when the team is good, people just don't show up.

I actually think the split thing might be worth trying, provided it's done correctly.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, did you see that the Dodgers did something we probably won't ever see again in our lifetime?

They had three consecutive walkoff home runs hit by three different rookies.

Forget our lifetimes... I bet baseball could go another 300 years and we wouldn't see that again.

Talk about a fluke.

I do wish they would give up the fail catcher combo of Barnes/Martin and start playing Will Smith more. He's the only one of those three who is any good, both presently and in the future.

The team is owning heads, though. 13 games up in the NL West, and best record in MLB by 3 games. And this is with a pretty bad bullpen and another Seager injury.

They just destroy the Rockies these days.

Load Metric
    Also, did you see that the Dodgers did something we probably won't ever see again in our lifetime?

Forget our lifetimes... I bet baseball could go another 300 years and we wouldn't see that again.

Talk about a fluke.

I do wish they would give up the fail catcher combo of Barnes/Martin and start playing Will Smith more. He's the only one of those three who is any good, both presently and in the future.

The team is owning heads, though. 13 games up in the NL West, and best record in MLB by 3 games. And this is with a pretty bad bullpen and another Seager injury.

^like clockwork, the curse of Druff hits the Dodgers again...he post a brag up on the Dodgers weekend wins, and right afterwards the Dodgers lose their game v Arizona in humiliating fashion with an 8th inning meltdown...

Druff, for the Dodgers, your silence is golden, for the rest of us, your non-silence is a moneymaking short the Dodgers signal
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric

Talk about a fluke.

They will choke
    they always do

Load Metric
    Yo bigdick

We’ve had a lot of laughs about the Dodgers bullpen over the years.

Well, the same outfit (Sawks) that gave them Machine Gun Kelly has gifted you Craig Kimbrel (13.5 ERA).

Brother this is no reflection on you. The guy has been a heart attack recently. If you like 10 pitch at bats cause his fastball ain’t the put away pitch it once was you’re gonna love the second half of the summer.

You’ll be chain smoking Marlboro’s every night on the back porch

The Dodgers will cruise through their 2nd half. The bean counters will be complacent. Ryu will (it’s already started) regress or get hurt. Druff will wonder who his 1/2 starters will be.

1st round exit

Good talk.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Yo bigdick

We’ve had a lot of laughs about the Dodgers bullpen over the years.

Well, the same outfit (Sawks) that gave them Machine Gun Kelly has gifted you Craig Kimbrel (13.5 ERA).

Brother this is no reflection on you. The guy has been a heart attack recently. If you like 10 pitch at bats cause his fastball ain’t the put away pitch it once was you’re gonna love the second half of the summer.

You’ll be chain smoking Marlboro’s every night on the back porch

The Dodgers will cruise through their 2nd half. The bean counters will be complacent. Ryu will (it’s already started) regress or get hurt. Druff will wonder who his 1/2 starters will be.

1st round exit

Good talk.
    Anything can happen in the playoffs, but let's be real here.

Who is going to beat the Dodgers in the NL?

Every other team has been mediocre thus far, aside from perhaps the Braves, but the Dodgers match up really well against them and always seem to crush them.

I'm more worried about the Dodgers losing their 3rd consecutive World Series, this time to the Yankees.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Anyway, guess who is tied for 3rd in WAR for NL position players?

That would be one Max Muncy.

#1 is Bellinger, #2 is Yelich, and Muncy is tied for #3 with Alonso.

The AL actually has most of the WAR leaders this year, as they have 10 of the top 15. The only other person in the top 15 is Max Scherzer, who is ahead of Muncy, but I'm not counting him because he's a pitcher.

The reason I'm not counting him is because this post is about the All-Star game.

Somehow the guy tied for third in WAR in the NL was not selected to the All-Star NL squad.

Terrible. He was placed as a first baseman for voting, even though he's played more 2B lately, and has just 9 fewer games at 2B overall compared to 1B. But fine, at least he's played the most at 1B.

However, to not select him as a reserve is criminal.

So there you have it. You can be the 3rd-4th best position player in the NL and not be an All Star.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW big dick, I hope you are enjoying the Cubs and their 16-24 road record, along with their .529 overall winning percentage.

Dodgers are .663 and would be 11.5 games up on the Cubs if they were in the same division.

They've just gotta get the bullpen right, though Urias has been good in that role lately.

Dodgers are about to be at the All Star break, and they haven't lost 10 games at home yet.

You read that right. They haven't lost 10 games at home yet.

Load Metric
    cubs pen has blown at least 12 games.. you do the math

Sanlmar, I fear that Kimbrel is not what he used to be too but fingers crossed

Comments

Sanlmar: You will think of me nightly. Baseball I mean.

Load Metric
    Let’s cheer you up bigdick

The Dodgers are making an earnest run at leading the league in defensive errors.

They have work to do but are #1 past (3) games with 1.67 per game

Joc Pederson at 1st and Kike Hernandez at SS is fun to watch.

I like Kike actually and that shitshow is kinda unavoidable with Seager hurt. Joc at 1st is just nerd retardation manifest. Joc has NEVER played 1st at any level in his life.

Turner to Kike to Pederson. There will be a nickname for that - like “hopeful thinking”.

As an aside, Druff crying about Muncy yet Seager is an All Star. Does he not know how the selections are made? The process is a perversion

Comments

big dick: fucking kimbrel GOD

Thread Information