Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2019 Thread

Load Metric
    Here is some bar bet trivia that is both significant enough not to be considered too obscure and easy to remember.

Question:
    Which MLB team has lost the most World Series?

Answer:
    Dodgers
    6-14

20 appearances
    6 WS Championships & 14 losses

Yankees
    27-13

Giants
    8-12

Free beer

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Why does the regular season mean so little to some of you people?

Do you not really enjoy the sport that much?

Postseason is better for fairweather or casual fans. Ignore the team most of the year, start watching in the postseason, get excited, and then wait until next time they appear in the postseason to care about the team again.

But for me to derive any real enjoyment from following the team, I like watching the regular season, and then hoping it translates to postseason success. If not, sure it's disappointing, but I had fun along the way rooting for a contending team.

Otherwise, you might as well just skip watching or following any baseball until the World Series.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Let's say I can be given a choice for two version of the Dodgers in the 2020s:

Version #1 will win the World Series in 2020, 2024, and 2029. However, the team will be under .500 in the 7 other years of the decade, and pretty much clearly be out of the race pretty early on.

Version #2 will win 8 of the 10 division titles, make 6 NLCS, three World Series, but not win any of them. In the remaining two years, the team will contend but miss the playoffs once, and completely suck once.

I would still take version #2, as the team would still be enjoyable to watch for 9 of those 10 years. In version #1, I would have three exciting years to watch, and seven years where it feels pointless, and I'd probably tune out for the most part once they're way out of contention. No thanks.

Load Metric
    I'm starting to believe that MLB should implement soccer-style aggregate scoring into its playoffs. First get rid of the silly 1-game wild card game. Expand playoffs to 6 teams make it from each league. Top 2 division winners get first round byes. The other four play the wild card round and then the division series round with: 3 game series with aggregate scoring, 2 home games for the higher seeded team. The league championships and world series hop up to 5 game series with aggregate scoring. This wouldnt change the actual days/dates played too much, as baseball already extends too deep into fall as is.

Could be an interesting thing for the NHL to try as well, but I think in baseball it would have the most impact.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    good to know the dodgers want to give yasmany 18m but won't play him in the ws
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Let's say I can be given a choice for two version of the Dodgers in the 2020s:

Version #1 will win the World Series in 2020, 2024, and 2029. However, the team will be under .500 in the 7 other years of the decade, and pretty much clearly be out of the race pretty early on.

Version #2 will win 8 of the 10 division titles, make 6 NLCS, three World Series, but not win any of them. In the remaining two years, the team will contend but miss the playoffs once, and completely suck once.

I would still take version #2, as the team would still be enjoyable to watch for 9 of those 10 years. In version #1, I would have three exciting years to watch, and seven years where it feels pointless, and I'd probably tune out for the most part once they're way out of contention. No thanks.

Meh, just different sensibilities. Baseball is such a long season, the games are long as hell, and it’s purely regional at this point. The years the Indians stink, I just feel like it frees me up to do something more productive with my time. If they keep me paying attention all year only to get swept in first round like this year, it’s a complete waste to me. Particularly a year like this where the Indians and Dodgers were similar. Good, but far from great or on fire all season. When your team keeps you all year only to choke at the end, I’m of the opinion they wasted my time. Win every third or fourth year and I’m happy. Choke always and now you’re just pissing me off. Those 90-something win seasons are just not all that great, and the years the team is really good only to choke are huge disappointments. So I’m the opposite of you. Win it all every third year and stink the other two and I’ll have more free time and a great high every few years. Choking always is just demoralizing.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Spot on per usual

Load Metric
    lol @ taking version 2. I think you are lying to yourself Druff.
    As usual I 100% agree with BCR

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    good to know the dodgers want to give yasmany 18m but won't play him in the ws
    It's a stupid gamble. They hope he won't accept, and they can get a free draft pick when he signs elsewhere.

The problem is they tried this shit with Brett Anderson for $16m and he accepted a few years ago, and he was essentially useless.

Yasmani probably won't be useless, but he goes through horrendous slumps and always seems to break down by October. Don't really want them wasting $18m on that, but whatever, at least it's only for 1 year.

It's possible he will decline. The Anderson one was straight up idiotic, because that was pretty clear he would accept.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I'm starting to believe that MLB should implement soccer-style aggregate scoring into its playoffs. First get rid of the silly 1-game wild card game. Expand playoffs to 6 teams make it from each league. Top 2 division winners get first round byes. The other four play the wild card round and then the division series round with: 3 game series with aggregate scoring, 2 home games for the higher seeded team. The league championships and world series hop up to 5 game series with aggregate scoring. This wouldnt change the actual days/dates played too much, as baseball already extends too deep into fall as is.

Could be an interesting thing for the NHL to try as well, but I think in baseball it would have the most impact.

No more teams in playoffs. 10 out of 30 is already enough. Don't want it to be 12.

In baseball, I feel it's important to keep as few teams in the playoffs as possible, because it has more game-to-game variance than any other sport. The best team won this year, but every team in the playoffs has a realistic chance if they get hot at the right time. This is as opposed to other sports, such as basketball, where the finals almost always features one of the top two teams in each league, and the best team usually is the winner.

t would really devalue the regular season to allow .500-ish teams to sneak into the playoffs and then win the World Series.

I realize that more teams in the postseason = more interest in baseball in more markets = more money for MLB, but at some point you have to also preserve the integrity of the game.

I agree the one game playoff thing does suck. That needs to be modified to best-of-3. It would also give a little more time for the other teams to reset their pitching rotations.

Also, I would change it to where the wildcard team with a better record than a division winner WOULD get homefield advantage.

Load Metric
    I agree with status quo

Druff still selling his variance story despite all recent (decades) evidence.

He still can’t understand Giants winning 3x. Just a fluke. Only explanation I can come up with for his flawed beliefs.

Variance is Druff’s crutch.

Comments

SysOp: great post

Prodigal son: Great

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Moves by Dodgers GM Farhan Zaidi, who just jumped over to the Giants: http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...outputType=amp

Dec. 11, 2014: Traded second baseman Dee Gordon, pitcher Dan Haren and infielder Miguel Rojas to Miami for catcher Austin Barnes, pitchers Chris Hatcher and Andrew Heaney, and infielder Kiké Hernandez. Then traded Heaney to the Angels for second baseman Howie Kendrick.

VERDICT: Bad. The Dodgers have struggled to find a productive second baseman since shipping Dee Gordon out. In an embarrassing after-result, Zaidi said he was trading Gordon "to improve on defense", and then Gordon won a Gold Glove in 2015.

Dec. 16, 2014: Signed pitcher Brandon McCarthy to a four-year, $48-million deal.

VERDICT: Terrible. McCarthy rarely stayed healthy.

Dec. 18, 2014: Traded catcher Tim Federowicz, outfielder Matt Kemp and cash to San Diego for pitcher Zach Elfin, catcher Yasmani Grandal and pitcher Joe Wieland.

VERDICT: Somewhat good. Grandal hasn't been that great, but he's been better than any other catcher in the Dodgers' system, and the Dodgers got back Kemp anyway this year.

Dec. 31, 2014: Signed pitcher Brett Anderson to a one-year, $10-million deal.

VERDICT: Bad. They stupidly extended a qualifying offer of $15.8 million the following year, which he accepted. He never pitched well.

July 30, 2015: In a three-team deal involving Miami and Atlanta, acquired pitchers Bronson Arroyo, Luis Avilan, Jim Johnson, Mat Latos and Alex Wood, second baseman Jose Peraza and first baseman Mike Morse for pitchers Zach Bird, Paco Rodriguez, Victor Araujo, Jeff Brigham and Kevin Guzman and third baseman Hector Olivera.

VERDICT: Good. Alex Wood has been somewhat useful, and Jose Peraza turned out to be good, though not for the Dodgers (see later). Olivera was an expensive bust, and the Dodgers were able to make him the Braves' problem.

Aug. 19, 2015: Traded pitcher John Richy and outfielder Darnell Sweeney to Philadelphia for second baseman Chase Utley.

VERDICT: Good. Neither of these minor leaguers did anything, while Utley was a good clubhouse presence and okay bench player, though his best years were far behind him.

Dec. 16, 2015: As part of a three-team trade, dealt Brandon Dixon, Jose Peraza and Scott Schebler to Cincinnati. Received Micah Johnson, Frankie Montas and Trayce Thompson from the Chicago White Sox. In addition, Cincinnati sent Todd Frazier to Chicago.

VERDICT: Lousy. Dodgers got nothing useful, while giving up Jose Peraza and Scott Schebler, both of whom have performed for the Reds. Peraza could have especially been useful at 2B.

Dec. 9, 2015: Signed second baseman Chase Utley to a one-year, $7-million deal.

VERDICT: Neutral. A bit of an overpayment, but whatever.

June 19, 2016: Traded minor league pitcher Zach Lee to the Seattle Mariners, for OF Chris Taylor.

VERDICT: Excellent. This one was strangely omitted by the Times. Lee was useless and out of baseball shortly thereafter. Taylor was a huge piece of the successful 2017 team.

Aug. 1, 2016: Traded pitchers Grant Holmes, Jharel Cotton and Frankie Montas to Oakland for pitcher Rich Hill and outfielder Josh Reddick.

VERDICT: Somewhat good. Hill was decent, and then the Dodgers re-signed him. None of the pitchers shipped to Oakland have done anything.

Aug. 25, 2016: Traded catcher A.J. Ellis to Philadelphia for catcher Carlos Ruiz.

VERDICT: Inconsequential.

Nov. 11, 2016: Traded Howie Kendrick to Philadelphia for first baseman Darin Ruf and outfielder Darnell Sweeney.

VERDICT: Mostly inconsequential, but underscores how bad the Dee Gordon trade was. Kendrick was supposed to be his replacement.

Jan. 23, 2017: Traded pitcher Jose De Leon to Tampa Bay for second baseman Logan Forsythe.

VERDICT: Fail. Forsythe has been a bust.

April 27, 2017: Signed Max Muncy to a minor league contract.

VERDICT: Excellent. Led the Dodgers in HR in 2018, and had a .391 OBP. This one was also oddly omitted by the LA Times.

Load Metric
    besides trade, the GM also handles contract negotiations, not only free agents, but potential free agents, arbitrations and draft choices

so add the signing of Turner & Jansen before 2017, plus having all arbitrations eligible settled via negotiations...he has missed signing a couple of top draft choices though
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 11-07-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I hate to post shit like this because it might cause San's head to explode, but it didn't happen so I think he's safe...

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball...-harper/472144

The Los Angeles Dodgers are always in contention when it comes to signing the top free agents on the market, and that should be the case with Bryce Harper this winter. While it is widely assumed that they will not bring back Manny Machado, there could be reason to believe the Dodgers will be suitors for Harper.

According to Jorge Castillo of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers tried to acquire Harper twice during the 2018 season. The first time was before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, and the second was when they claimed him before the waiver deadline but the Washington Nationals pulled Harper back, as expected.

The Dodgers have a crowded outfield that includes Yasiel Puig, Joc Pederson, Cody Bellinger, Matt Kemp, Enrique Hernandez and Chris Taylor. That would make them seem like an unlikely landing spot for Harper, but Castillo reports that they offered Puig as part of a trade for Harper. The Dodgers and Nationals ultimately could not reach a deal.
    Puig hasn’t emerged into the superstar the Dodgers hoped he would be, and he’s under team control for one more year before he can become an unrestricted free agent in 2020. If LA does decide to make a run at Harper, they would likely still look to move Puig this offseason.

Given the astronomical amount of money Harper is expected to earn this winter, there are probably only a handful of teams with a realistic shot at signing him. The Dodgers are certainly among them.

Load Metric
    We will address Bryce Harper and the Dodgers. Not in the least bit concerned. There is a confidence that they will fuck things up. I can figure out how later.

I would like to address Druff’s contentment with consistent regular season performance vs balls to the wall in the pursuit of a Championship.

Druff has also fervently defended LA fans loyalty when this fails the rest of the country’s eyeball test.

There are teams like the Brewers or Pirates who have fans because of geographic location. Grew up a Brewers fan. Family were Brewers fans. Mix in a little brotherhood of the miserable. The reasons are an amalgamation of a lot of components and they are all deep. Win or lose teams like the Brewers have a following who love them or love to hate them.

That is not the Dodgers or Los Angeles. Dodgers fans are fans of convenience. I’m not really even talking about the shitty stadium where the first order of business upon entering the turnstiles is planning your escape.

Druff, as evidenced by his own argument (rationalization) about failing to win the World Series at any cost, is a typical front running Dodgers fan.

I think this Venn Diagram summarizes visually a fact that I have been unable to get Druff to acknowledge publicly. It goes a long way toward explaining the stupid decisions the Dodgers make (Bryce Harper) in order to keep Druff and his Facebook friends sufficiently engaged.

Quick summary for those who are slow: if Dodgers aren’t winning the fans are done.

Name:  6DFAAFCE-5944-4744-8420-CA8D03858905.png
Views: 622
Size:  1.19 MB

Comments

Prodigal son: Lol
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 11-08-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    I hate to post shit like this because it might cause San's head to explode, but it didn't happen so I think he's safe...

The Los Angeles Dodgers are always in contention when it comes to signing the top free agents on the market, and that should be the case with Bryce Harper this winter. While it is widely assumed that they will not bring back Manny Machado, there could be reason to believe the Dodgers will be suitors for Harper.

According to Jorge Castillo of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers tried to acquire Harper twice during the 2018 season. The first time was before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, and the second was when they claimed him before the waiver deadline but the Washington Nationals pulled Harper back, as expected.

The Dodgers have a crowded outfield that includes Yasiel Puig, Joc Pederson, Cody Bellinger, Matt Kemp, Enrique Hernandez and Chris Taylor. That would make them seem like an unlikely landing spot for Harper, but Castillo reports that they offered Puig as part of a trade for Harper. The Dodgers and Nationals ultimately could not reach a deal.
    Puig hasn’t emerged into the superstar the Dodgers hoped he would be, and he’s under team control for one more year before he can become an unrestricted free agent in 2020. If LA does decide to make a run at Harper, they would likely still look to move Puig this offseason.

Given the astronomical amount of money Harper is expected to earn this winter, there are probably only a handful of teams with a realistic shot at signing him. The Dodgers are certainly among them.
    Harper is not coming to the Dodgers, indeed no new top dollar free agents are coming

contrast the hype about the Dodgers signing top agents versus their missing out on the top 14 free agents since the current ownership took over...also read the article about the business plan leaked to the LA Times that calls for the Dodgers stay below the mlb salary cap for the next four years (link below) -- yeah, I thought they stayed below only for 2018 in order to reset the penalty thus allowing a big signing or two with only minimal penaly--that seems to be bullshit...instead the Dodgers are following a cash flow harvest strategy that will avoid excess salary penalty

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...105-story.html

the article contains disclaimers by league execs that it's "only a plan" and subject to change...who the fuck are they trying to kid? in the corporate world, you hit you budget or else you are gone...so the Dodgers plan to cut player salary, and undoubtedly that of personnel in stadium operations & administration---one thing never cut will be top executive compensation though: it never is in the corporate world

Comments

Sanlmar: Bloody fascinating
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 11-08-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Dodger picked up Dave Roberts 2019 option for $1m. About what he’s worth.

Roberts was looking for 4 years $12 million.

Roberts must be real excited.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

Harper is not coming to the Dodgers, indeed no new top dollar free agents are coming

contrast the hype about the Dodgers signing top agents versus their missing out on the top 14 free agents since the current ownership took over...also read the article about the business plan leaked to the LA Times that calls for the Dodgers stay below the mlb salary cap for the next four years (link below) -- yeah, I thought they stayed below only for 2018 in order to reset the penalty thus allowing a big signing or two with only minimal penaly--that seems to be bullshit...instead the Dodgers are following a cash flow harvest strategy that will avoid excess salary penalty

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...105-story.html

the article contains disclaimers by league execs that it's "only a plan" and subject to change...who the fuck are they trying to kid? in the corporate world, you hit you budget or else you are gone...so the Dodgers plan to cut player salary, and undoubtedly that of personnel in stadium operations & administration---one thing never cut will be top executive compensation though: it never is in the corporate world
    Well, this is very disappointing. I actually bought the BS they peddled in the last offseason that they were trying to get under the cap so they could spend for 2019.

Guess not.

I think they realized they cut payroll and still made the World Series, and were like, "Hey, let's just do this every year and I bet it will work out!"

The problem is that they actually got lucky in 2018.

They were lucky that there was no dominant NL team this year.

They were lucky that Max Muncy went from unwanted minor leaguer to dominant offensive force.

They were lucky that they were able to tie for the division lead with 91 wins, and that the Diamondbacks collapsed so hard in September.

They were lucky that guys like Joc Pederson and Kike Hernandez suddenly had productive offensive years.

They were lucky that Walker Buehler worked out as well as he possibly could.

They were lucky that Matt Kemp, acquired simply as a mutual salary dump, was a highly productive player in the first half when they really needed that most.

Sure, they also got unlucky... Kershaw missing a lot of time with injury, Turner missing months, Seager missing the whole year... I get it.

But this team started 16-26 and made the World Series. They can't count on everything to fall perfectly into place like it did in 2018.

I can respect this ownership group for not wasting money on washed up players. They've actually been best at not making moves which could have screwed them for years to come.

But this team has a massive revenue stream. Huge TV contract. Guaranteed 3 million plus fans in the ballpark, whether the team is good or bad Lots of merchandising.

They should be one of the high payroll teams. Instead, it looks like they're just going to stay under the cap, and pray that every year a Max Muncy or Chris Taylor shows up, and destroys the baseball while making the Major League minimum.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I mean that shit COULD work in LA...you just have to be really fucking great at what you do...look at tampa...id argue they were the best team in baseball given what they were working with...90 wins in that division with that payroll...amazing...if the dodgers can evaluate talent and get a few of those cheap productive guys like a muncy they could cut payroll a bit while still winning...

Load Metric
    If druffs theory on being perennial second/third best vs winning a few titles is common amongst the dodger fans then i dont understand why they dont embrace the chargers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by varys View Post
    If druffs theory on being perennial second/third best vs winning a few titles is common amongst the dodger fans then i dont understand why they dont embrace the chargers.
    Why do the Dodgers need investors? What is the issue or plan?

Between fixing that stadium and the horrendous payroll, in the early years of this ownership the Dodgers bled red.

Are Dodgers going to do something with the Chargers? I lost track of the stadium stories. Once there was talk of Chargers near Dodgers stadium.

As is most often the case in business the greatest asset may be the real estate.

I smell blood though.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: Why?: Guggenheim, Katz, Friedmann.

Thread Information