Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
just tuned into the last part of the LAD/SF game and posey got the game winning hit...got curious and went to BR to check his career numbers, then went down the HOF catcher rabbit hole...

really a bitch of a position to figure out...trying to figure out if guys like mauer/posey are HOFers...definitely didn't think mauer was, looked at his numbers and relative to other catchers they're not bad...but the thing is he played a shitton of games at DH/1B during the last half of his career...

I gotta stop watching baseball...
Posey and Mauer have had remarkably similar careers. Kind of weird. Posey's is obviously still going, so things can change, but I think due to the scarcity of quality catchers over the past 20 years they both get in eventually. They'll both probably have to wait for a few years, maybe 5-10 years of voting, but the momentum will gain. They are/were both pretty well liked by the media and are pretty squeeky clean off-the-field, which matters more than it should.

The shortness of their peak years, lack of shiny HR numbers, and injury issues will hold them back for a bit before the hesitant voters finally come around on the fact they played the most demanding position in the game.

Ivan Rodriguez had overall better numbers and a longer prime than those two, I'm not gonna compare him to them. But Ivan got voted in first ballot, meanwhile say like Larry Walker, who had better career numbers than Ivan, is still waiting. Catcher vs OF. Posey and Mauer will creep past people with better numbers than them also.