Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginnings of cure for cancer just discovered?

Load Metric
    Cancer makes too many people too much money to get cured.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Remember that fail movie "Medicine Man" from 1992?

You don't?

It was environmental propaganda medical fantasy about a cure for cancer being found in the Amazon rainforest, and it turned out that a species of ants there were the key to everything. Then loggers ended up destroying the part of the rainforest with the ants, and ruined everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_Man_(film)

Sean Connery must have been desperate for work, because he starred in it.

I only saw it at the time because a girl I was banging in the spring of 1992 found it at the dollar theater, and pressured me to take her. Same reason I saw that lesbo-but-not-lesbo film "Fried Green Tomatoes".

Anyway, it seems that we are all going to croak before a real cure is found.
    A slight aside, but that movie isn't even close to the worst Sean Connery flick. You should try First Knight, A Good Man in Africa, Highlander 2, The Avengers... basically anything he did from the 90s.

Comments

MumblesBadly: You forgot “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” (but that was after the 90s).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Cancer makes too many people too much money to get cured.
    Conspiracy theorists like to say that, but I don't believe it.

If a company came up with a cure for cancer, it would make an absolute fortune. They wouldn't say, "Oh wait, we shouldn't release this, we will fuck over too many other companies and individuals which make a fortune treating cancer."

No. They would get this to market as fast as they could, and get filthy rich.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Anyone who even uses the phrase “cure for cancer” at all is either being intellectually dishonest or doesn’t understand what cancer is. You might as well say you are trying to discover the cure for life.

It is true the medical community deserves some criticism for the way they have handled cancer (and every other chronic disease), but this is because they focus too much on treatment after the fact and not enough on preemptive healthy lifestyle adjustments.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Remember that fail movie "Medicine Man" from 1992?

You don't?

It was environmental propaganda medical fantasy about a cure for cancer being found in the Amazon rainforest, and it turned out that a species of ants there were the key to everything. Then loggers ended up destroying the part of the rainforest with the ants, and ruined everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_Man_(film)

Sean Connery must have been desperate for work, because he starred in it.

I only saw it at the time because a girl I was banging in the spring of 1992 found it at the dollar theater, and pressured me to take her. Same reason I saw that lesbo-but-not-lesbo film "Fried Green Tomatoes".

Anyway, it seems that we are all going to croak before a real cure is found.
    A slight aside, but that movie isn't even close to the worst Sean Connery flick. You should try First Knight, A Good Man in Africa, Highlander 2, The Avengers... basically anything he did from the 90s.
    I saw this movie. I don’t remember it being bad, it just is what it was, fantastical propaganda. You can say the same thing for Black Panther. The politics are LOL, and it is being given way too much praise for political reasons, but it was still an ok comic book movie.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

So I decided to check on this 2 years later, and see if there was any progress here.

The short answer is, "Sort of."

CAR-T therapy is FDA approved and can have some success, but it's only approved right now for lymphoma and myeloma. Any other cancers are not approved.

There are currently some clinical trials for use of this therapy against "solid tumors", but I'm not sure which kinds.

FAQ: https://www.dana-farber.org/cellular...-cell-therapy/

Clinical trials: https://www.dana-farber.org/cellular...inical-trials/

On the bright side, the success of mRNA in vaccination form has spawned new interest in spending money to research its utilization to fight cancer. This had previously been discussed, but never got off the ground very far.

One possible long-term benefit of COVID might be the speedup of mRNA technology's development, including as a cancer therapy.

Silver
    Load Metric
    BUMP

So I decided to check on this 2 years later, and see if there was any progress here.

The short answer is, "Sort of."

CAR-T therapy is FDA approved and can have some success, but it's only approved right now for lymphoma and myeloma. Any other cancers are not approved.

There are currently some clinical trials for use of this therapy against "solid tumors", but I'm not sure which kinds.

FAQ: https://www.dana-farber.org/cellular...-cell-therapy/

Clinical trials: https://www.dana-farber.org/cellular...inical-trials/

On the bright side, the success of mRNA in vaccination form has spawned new interest in spending money to research its utilization to fight cancer. This had previously been discussed, but never got off the ground very far.

One possible long-term benefit of COVID might be the speedup of mRNA technology's development, including as a cancer therapy.
    The medical/research community has a lot of explaining to do when it comes to free-rolls.

Terminal cancer? Throw the book at them. Why wait around for some asshole bureaucrat tell you it's OK to try something?

You saw it with Covid and still do. Either very safe therapeutic drugs or a patient who is terminal - an absolute free pop to let them try whatever the fuck they want in order to live.

Imagine worshiping The State, The CDC or The WHO.

Comments

splitthis:

Thread Information